• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Reaches 12 Million Shipped, Analyst Says

I've been on the XSS bandwagon since it was announced. Seemed like a no-brainer to have a cheaper-priced entry point into the new gen. I'd believe that it's certainly outselling XSX thanks to supply issues and once those are solved it will be interesting to see how they do comparatively.

What's really going to be interesting (to me anyway) is down the road once prices start to get cut.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
you have to divide X|S sales by two so 12 million / 2 = 6 million for xsx or xss depends which sold more sony sold 13.4 million PS5

13.4 PS5 divided by 6 million xsx or xss is 2.23 times more then xsx or xss consoles.
Oh no....

Family Guy No GIF

Last edited:
you have to divide X|S sales by two so 12 million / 2 = 6 million for xsx or xss depends which sold more sony sold 13.4 million PS5

13.4 PS5 divided by 6 million xsx or xss is 2.23 times more then xsx or xss consoles.
I don't play on Xbox but come on. Don't be that guy...
Series S was a good bet for them and it's the same gen as Series X. Let's not try and do... whatever that is you did.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox has a good shot to beat Nintendo because there isn’t a next gen Nintendo which is crazy joke aside

072P10DdUKKYYMKUWbFPDPN-3.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

Its essentially the same console only a few tflops, and gbs off and Microsoft promised a year 1 Halo exclusive and delivered on that promise all that said I would still take a PS5, or PS4 over Xbox.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Xbox has a good shot to beat Nintendo because there isn’t a next gen Nintendo which is crazy joke aside

Its essentially the same console only a few tflops, and gbs off and Microsoft promised a year 1 Halo exclusive and delivered on that promise all that said I would still take a PS5, or PS4 over Xbox.
Never bet against Nintendo.

kingfey

Banned

until they make your favourite game. or a game you like.

I wasnt interested in xbox at all, until they bought bethesda.

Woopah

If it's true, this just means there is a lot of consoles with the retailers. this is not sold through to the customers.

they flooded the market with Series S, next quarter they'll ship way less.
Next quarter isn't a holiday. Everyone will ship way less.
Nice try bud. but there is no way Sony Sold 3 million units from Nov launch to March 31st 2021 last year. You want to explain how they would reach 18 million?
3 million in 5 months (including kaunt) is not that much.

Beat Nintendo in what way?

leo-j

The gap between to Ps5 and X box series X may get back to X box 360 and PS3 levels, which was pretty much a 50/50 split of the overall market share, It will be certainly closer than last generation.
Ps5 is likely around 16 million or more. They announced 13.4 million before the holidays (where they sold an easy 2 million plus world wide for sure). The 12 million shipped includes December. So it’s likely 12 million vs 16-17 million. That is not a 360-ps3 gap. Also ps5 would be at 20 + million if they had the stock. Series s is readily available to purchase right now.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Ps5 is likely around 18 million or more. They announced 16.4 million before the holidays (where they sold an easy 2 million plus world wide for sure). The 12 million shipped includes December. So it’s likely 12 million vs 18 million. That is not a 360-ps3 gap. Also ps5 would be at 20 + million if they had the stock. Series s is readily available to purchase right now.

Where did sony announce 16.4mill?

Stuart360

Gold Member

Thats honestly one of the most supid takes i have seen on here, although i shouldnt be surprised with the some of you.

The X and S are just different models of the same product, like we see with a lot of products (including the PS5). You dont start splitting the different models up. When someone goes to buy a Series console they dont get both, they buy one or the other, which ever 'Xbox Series' suits their needs.

God i can only imagine the bullshit thats going to be thrown around on here if by the end of the gen the X and S are within 10mil of PS5, or heaven forbid actually sell more.:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Still trying to understand why people give a shit which company sells more consoles.
It’s mildly interesting but in the end, means nothing at all. Some of the best games I’ve ever played have been on consoles that haven’t sold well (N64, GameCube and Wii U). If anything, the trailing company between MS and Sony are usually the more generous in their offerings (original PS3 PS Plus and now Game Pass). When they do too well we get greed from them (‘get a second job’, 360 second half of life and ‘we have a product for you’).

Still trying to understand why people give a shit which company sells more consoles.

“You are not your job, you're not how much money you have in the bank. You are not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You are not your fucking khakis. You are all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Just like ... reverse that ... basically.

Sony will still win this gen in terms of consoles sold that’s never in doubt but I see Microsoft closing the gap by a big margin. They havent had the misstep in marketing like the Xbox one had at the beginning. Even my super Sony mate now has an Xbox series x because he was given game pass for free with his broadband contract, he was gonna use x cloud but decided that in order to play the games properly he needed a series x.
Still, these numbers are pretty much perfectly in line with that XBox One has realized in the same time period, and Series used two different models, one of wich amply cheaper that XBO was.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

because my plastic box has a bigger dick than yours, in-fact your plastic dick needs to be divided by half and my plastic dick is 2.63 times bigger.

Last edited:

Mozza

Evidence when the OP is literally a number out of thin air from an analyst? Make it make sense at least. This is in no way official as well.
Just think the gap will be less this time, but you are correct, let's wait for some more official figures, it will be interesting to see how the holidays all panned out for the big three.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Still, these numbers are pretty much perfectly in line with that XBox One has realized in the same time period, and Series used two different models, one of wich amply cheaper that XBO was.

And doesn’t Sony also have 2 versions of a console with one cheaper?

And doesn’t Sony also have 2 versions of a console with one cheaper?
Your point being? Because what I al saying Is that I find a little ridicolous all this talking of "closing the gap" when both consoles are pretty much at the same exact position that they were in the preceding generation. Between, the cheaper PS5, the existance of wich Is usually totally denied by a lot of people here, has the same price of the past PS4, while the other model Is obviously pricer

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I've been on the XSS bandwagon since it was announced. Seemed like a no-brainer to have a cheaper-priced entry point into the new gen. I'd believe that it's certainly outselling XSX thanks to supply issues and once those are solved it will be interesting to see how they do comparatively.

What's really going to be interesting (to me anyway) is down the road once prices start to get cut.

yeah, series s has fast become microsofts most genius move so far This generation. Owning one hooked up to a 1080p tv and it’s a fucking sturdy little badass. I can’t believe how solid it feels and looks great on a 1080p tv.

ZywyPL

Banned
[...] the existance of wich Is usually totally denied by a lot of people here, has the same price of the past PS4, while the other model Is obviously pricer [...]

Pretty sure Sony is to blame for barely making them, scalpers or not, stores or auctions, the DE is almost as rare as a unicorn. The last time I was looking at PS5 on the local auction service there were a whopping 3 DEs and close to 40 regular PS5. So no wonder people forget the DE exists, because it really barely does.

Besides, with Sony's pricing scheme DE it's easily the worst current-gen offer, especially with the lack of regional pricing where games prices can translate to even 90-100$, if you can drop that much on a single game then you can easily afford adding that 100 for getting the regular model, with ability to sell the games or buy used ones.

Seriously, the DE looks like a scam next to the regular PS5, that 100$ difference will vanish in no time, and from there it'll only keep getting more and expensive.

Lognor

Banned
Ps5 is likely around 16 million or more. They announced 13.4 million before the holidays (where they sold an easy 2 million plus world wide for sure). The 12 million shipped includes December. So it’s likely 12 million vs 16-17 million. That is not a 360-ps3 gap. Also ps5 would be at 20 + million if they had the stock. Series s is readily available to purchase right now.
But it's also not a Xbox One to PS4 gap either, which is amazing! Microsoft really has been able to close the gap, even this early in the gen. It will be interesting to see how this gen plays out, but I expect the current gap to narrow even more by the end of the gen.

MonarchJT

Banned
probably something like 12 vs 16 in favor of PS5.....that's is really really a winning situation for Xbox ....since it can also release all its games on PC and since console users will most likely use gamepass.
after all it must be admitted that Spencer was not wrong ... all his choices are ultimately paying off and proving him right.

Last edited:
yeah, series s has fast become microsofts most genius move so far This generation. Owning one hooked up to a 1080p tv and it’s a fucking sturdy little badass. I can’t believe how solid it feels and looks great on a 1080p tv.

It's really surprising how small it is in person. I got my XSX at launch but knew at some point I'd upgrade my two younger kids' Xbox Ones at some point (didn't include oldest son because he's pcmasterrace). Went ahead and did it this year at xmas so they'll be good for the whole generation.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
These numbers amount to nothing more than Series S being more easily manufactured. Admittedly, that can give MS the edge as supply continues to worsen, but the PS5 is still the more in demand console.

MrA

Banned
so if xbox series pulled ~9 million units this year it probably had a better year than any xbone year, so off to a good start

Pallas

These numbers amount to nothing more than Series S being more easily manufactured. Admittedly, that can give MS the edge as supply continues to worsen, but the PS5 is still the more in demand console.
I don’t think anyone is arguing that the PS5 has more units shipped/sold with more demand.

It’s ok to give credit where credit is due, despite the semiconductor shortage, thus has been a much better generation for the Xbox brand and PlayStation is knocking it outside too. Healthy competition is wonderful thing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
so if xbox series pulled ~9 million units this year it probably had a better year than any xbone year, so off to a good start

Yes, they've said as much that the Series consoles have been the fastest selling Xbox consoles ever. Or at least I recall reading Phil say that a few days back.

I keep seeing "but Sony will win" "sony is in the lead" but none of that matters. All Microsoft and fans of Xbox want is for Xbox to be performing strong regardless of what Playstation is doing as that's better for all of us. There's nothing but upside for the future of Xbox, especially with monsters like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 waiting in the wings. Xbox only ever needed to..

Get their hardware right, they did.

They needed a real budget for multiple big and ambitious AAA games, they did and appear to be ahead of the game there with Xbox Game Studios and Bethesda.

And, finally, I wasn't expecting Game Pass to be this kind of factor coming into this gen. I knew it would be day one for all Xbox first party games, and that it would occasionally add an existing game that Microsoft doesn't own from time to time, but what day one on game pass for first party means has changed drastically with Bethesda as a first party, it also changes drastically with brand new third party AAA games even appearing day one on the platform, or very shortly after launch.

Well, Sony is selling every PS5 they can produce, while there are a lot of Series S consoles on store shelves. Series X not so much, but it's still easier to get than the PS5.

I've successfully purchased over 5 playstation 5s already at proper price. Xbox Series X has been much harder to get, because I've been trying to get a second now for months.

boomcrab

Shipped isn't the same as sold through. This distinction has always been made in the games industry why is this being misunderstood now?
Though all consoles are being sold out, from my personal experience and from many others it seems, series S seems to be pretty available. It's hard to say how many are out in the wild but it terms of actual consoles sold I'd shave a million or so off that number

oldergamer

Shipped isn't the same as sold through. This distinction has always been made in the games industry why is this being misunderstood now?
Though all consoles are being sold out, from my personal experience and from many others it seems, series S seems to be pretty available. It's hard to say how many are out in the wild but it terms of actual consoles sold I'd shave a million or so off that number
Normally demand isnt this high. Even with stock being readily available they are still selling at a high pace. Shipped is as good as sold for both consoles.

Top Bottom