• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Reaches 12 Million Shipped, Analyst Says

reksveks

skit_data

Yeah, it depends on what time period you are considering. Over the lifespan of a console, digital might make more of a profit. Off the production line, digital makes more of a loss.
Oh for sure, I have a PS5 DE and I can already tell how much money I would’ve saved myself if I just sat tight and waited for a disc-based one instead xD
The digital purchase prices are outrageous compared to the disc based ones.

kingfey

Banned
They don’t lose it on the physical one at least (unless shipping costs etc. eats it up). It is sold at a profit on a per unit basis already.

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/4/22609150/sony-playstation-5-ps5-loss-profit
The article says the same shit we know. They make their profit from accessories. Its why the system is not sold at a loss.

"While the PS5 with a disc drive is no longer selling for less than the cost to produce it, the less expensive and disc-less $399 PS5 Digital Edition is reportedly on track to have Sony’s related losses offset by other hardware sales like accessories and the PS4."

Here is the correct article.
"Sony Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said that the company’s key product, the $499 PlayStation 5, was no longer selling at a loss. The $399 PS5 Digital Edition is on track to have its loss offset by other hardware sales including peripherals and the PlayStation 4, the CFO added."

The difference between the 2 devices is the Blu-ray disc. That makes the physical one more expensive, compared to digital one. By 1m hardware, the ps5 disc would have more cost to it, compared to the digital.

kingfey

Banned
Oh for sure, I have a PS5 DE and I can already tell how much money I would’ve saved myself if I just sat tight and waited for a disc-based one instead xD
The digital purchase prices are outrageous compared to the disc based ones.
That doesnt translate to other customers sadly.

People are willing to spend 70$ day1 for their games. Disc or digital. As the time goes on, you will see less disc based games, since publishers want to maximize the sales of digital.

The article says the same shit we know. They make their profit from accessories. Its why the system is not sold at a loss.

"While the PS5 with a disc drive is no longer selling for less than the cost to produce it, the less expensive and disc-less $399 PS5 Digital Edition is reportedly on track to have Sony’s related losses offset by other hardware sales like accessories and the PS4."

Here is the correct article.
"Sony Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki said that the company’s key product, the $499 PlayStation 5, was no longer selling at a loss. The $399 PS5 Digital Edition is on track to have its loss offset by other hardware sales including peripherals and the PlayStation 4, the CFO added."

The difference between the 2 devices is the Blu-ray disc. That makes the physical one more expensive, compared to digital one. By 1m hardware, the ps5 disc would have more cost to it, compared to the digital.

The system is sold at a loss. Having it off set by other products doesn't change that

Not neck and neck, but the closest MS has been in the last 2 generations.

Um…the 360 beat the PS3, so not exactly sure what “last 2 generations” you’re talking about, Willis.

And I remember when the 360 was skunking the PS3 Phat early on with its $699 (U.S.) price point. It wasn’t until much later that Sony made up ground (after their dev found a way to unshackle the RAM and after the price was dropped considerably) and came close to catching up with the 360.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Um…the 360 beat the PS3, so not exactly sure what “last 2 generations” you’re talking about, Willis.

And I remember when the 360 was skunking the PS3 Phat early on with its $699 (U.S.) price point. It wasn’t until much later that Sony made up ground (after their dev found a way to unshackle the RAM and after the price was dropped considerably) and came close to catching up with the 360.

360 had a lot of good momentum but by the end the PS3 pulled ahead globally. Not by much, but it did sell more.

The XBO was utterly mauled tho.

PlayStation 3HomeSony2006>87.4 million[note 1]
Xbox 360HomeMicrosoft2005>84 million[note 3]

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

You should revisit final sales numbers as PS3 did eventually pass the 360 and that was even with the 360 having a year head start and a much better pricing

oldergamer

You should revisit final sales numbers as PS3 did eventually pass the 360 and that was even with the 360 having a year head start and a much better pricing
It passed the 360 due to MS stopping first party support to work on Xbone. MS focused on Kinect which wasn't good for hardcore gamers. Sony was producing first party single player games at that stage on PS3

Last edited:

gow3isben

The PS5 13.4m number in Q2 was sales not shipped. If Xbox may have shipped 12 sales are probably 10 million or so. There is always a notable difference between sales and shipped. I am guessing PS5 sales are 19 or so million. So slightly less but almost at 2:1 overall ration.

Last edited:

reksveks

The PS5 13.4m number in Q2 was sales not shipped. If Xbox may have shipped 12 sales are probably 10 million or so. There is always a notable difference between sales and shipped. I am guessing PS5 sales are 19 or so million. So slightly less but almost at 2:1 overall ration.
sales to consumers?

Hardware units are disclosed on a sell-in basis.

Whats the definition of sell-in?

MonarchJT

Banned
360 had a lot of good momentum but by the end the PS3 pulled ahead globally. Not by much, but it did sell more.

The XBO was utterly mauled tho.

PlayStation 3HomeSony2006>87.4 million[note 1]
Xbox 360HomeMicrosoft2005>84 million[note 3]
the PS3 did start to sell like gangbuster just after the free hack which allowed you to download and install any pirated game freely ...it has begun to sell huge quantities in almost all states with poorer economies. but sell consoles didn't helped sony ... the PS3 gen was probably the most disastrous of any other and any manufacturer the amount of money lost that gen made Sony wait half of the PS4 gen to make up for some money

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
All of it can be true at the same time, Xbox is selling records, industry is healthy, and PS5 is still significantly ahead.

Unless 13.5 in September vs 12 in January is supposed to be neck and neck.

Whats the definition of sell-in?

IIRC it's usually as what's sold to the retail chains. Sold-through refers to what's sold to customers.

Either way tho that poster is wrong in their estimated sales numbers for Xbox systems. If there are 2 million Series systems sitting on retail shelves we'd of been heard of Microsoft halting Series production so as not to flood the channels with excess units. There's a reason they said they're selling pretty much everything they make, because that's true.

Hope most people aren't turning to fanboy Gamestop employees taking pics to spin FUD for Twitter spaces drama as a fact.

DaGwaphics

I think that just happened because MS didn't work hard enough to build stronger sales outside the US/UK. 360 still ruled supreme in the US/UK for the entirety of the generation, by a much wider margin than PS4 over X1. No question PS is the stronger global brand, MS needs to work on that.

Not that it matters much. LOL

Last edited:

Stuart360

Gold Member
All of it can be true at the same time, Xbox is selling records, industry is healthy, and PS5 is still significantly ahead.

Unless 13.5 in September vs 12 in January is supposed to be neck and neck.
No one cares if PS5 is ahead, people are just commenting on Xbox being healthy. If you can find any post on this forum by anyone saying Xbox Series are doing as well as PS5, or will beat PS5 this gen, please post it here.
Honestly the insecurity shown by some of you whenever there is an incling of Xbox positivity, well its frustrating.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

sales to consumers?

Hardware units are disclosed on a sell-in basis.
Hard to say if it's sell-in or sell-through for the 3.3M, though both seem to be close.
Previously they said over 10M sold-through July 18th
Previously disclosed cumulative sell-through units of PlayStation®5 hardware
As of Number of cumulative sell-through units (million)
7/18/2021 10.0
Which roughly aligns with
image-21.png

This website seems to think they are using sell-through.

I've successfully purchased over 5 playstation 5s already at proper price. Xbox Series X has been much harder to get, because I've been trying to get a second now for months.

This officially now makes the 7th PS5 I've successfully bought, whereas I've only been able to get my hands on a single Series X since launch. 3 were bought from Walmart alone. Others were a combination of in person at stores and Target online. This is a gift for my niece who asked for one.

XVZdEHH.jpg

OU6qRBW.jpg

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say the PS3 eventually passed the Xbox 360's last reported numbers? My understanding is the 360 was manufactured and sold until 2016 but the 84M sales attributed to the 360 is from 2014(?) and Xbox quit reporting sales number after that.

We don't have really the final numbers for the 360 it seems, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Xbox might have sold a couple million 360s in that period of time as the 360 was quite popular, the Xbox One did not have a great reception nor did it initially have BC so there were more and better games on the 360.

None of the above means PS3 didn't eventually beat Xbox, nor is it really of any importance one way or the other, but I am curious if I am understanding the situation correctly or if I am a dipshit. 😹

Last edited:

Boy bawang

Is there anything to learn regarding market demand from comparing the sales between the xbox series and the PS5, when both are apparently selling literally every console that they can produce?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say the PS3 eventually passed the Xbox 360's last reported numbers? My understanding is the 360 was manufactured and sold until 2016 but the 84M sales attributed to the 360 is from 2014(?) and Xbox quit reporting sales number after that.

We don't have really the final numbers for the 360 it seems, but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Xbox might have sold a couple million 360s in that period of time as the 360 was quite popular, the Xbox One did not have a great reception nor did it initially have BC so there were more and better games on the 360.

None of the above means PS3 didn't eventually beat Xbox, nor is it really of any importance one way or the other, but I am curious if I am understanding the situation correctly of if I am a dipshit. 😹
No you got it right, most people just gloss over that though.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

None of the above means PS3 didn't eventually beat Xbox, nor is it really of any importance one way or the other, but I am curious if I am understanding the situation correctly or if I am a dipshit. 😹
Maybe but can only go by whats on the record

Its just me but I honestly think if 360 did in fact hold a higher position on the overall sales record someone would have made that correction

Rawker

Let me know when I can walk into a store and buy a seriesX, I've been twice this week and both times the stores only had ps5's.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This officially now makes the 7th PS5 I've successfully bought, whereas I've only been able to get my hands on a single Series X since launch. 3 were bought from Walmart alone. Others were a combination of in person at stores and Target online. This is a gift for my niece who asked for one.

XVZdEHH.jpg

OU6qRBW.jpg
Without a doubt for me the PS5 has been easier to get here in the US then the Series X

Last edited:

Goalus

XVZdEHH.jpg

OU6qRBW.jpg
Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I'd say from this information we can safely conclude that demand for PS5 recently took a nose dive? I wouldn't go as far and claim that no one wants it, but based on these sample data I expect them to pile up on the shelves real soon. Whereas Xbox Series X seems to be as highly sought after as ever.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
I'd say from this information we can safely conclude that demand for PS5 recently took a nose dive? I wouldn't go as far and claim that no one wants it, but based on these sample data I expect them to pile up on the shelves real soon. Whereas Xbox Series X seems to be as highly sought after as ever.

Lmao no

It just means Sony has been able to keep up with demand more than Microsoft. Also that's an anecdote. You can't safely conclude anything from that

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Series X will never have a game or exclusive that Series S can't ever play. They're pretty much equal in generation, just different in raw compute power and memory.

Yes, but isn't this a bad omen for SX? One system has 16gb while the other has 10. I don't think graphical fidelity alone can account for the difference within the context of future games that take advantage of the new console hardware. One of them will have to give way to the other, no?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Where do you guys get these shits? Is there a magic store? Cuz, I cant find one here.
My first purchased one was just done by pre order and my Gamestop had them open for order for a few days but for Series X they had 4 to preorder.

Got one through PS Direct one my first try but back when you could use the esc trick for refreshing the page.

WalMart was one of the easiest using the app because you could just spam add to cart

Bought two via the GameStop bundle programs and luckily my buddy who oversees GameStops let me return everything I didn't want.

Got lucky on Best Buy drop with one.

For me using the Discord restock alerts have made it fairly easy but also being retired I am able to drop about anything I am doing to try to buy things like this

kingfey

Banned
My first purchased one was just done by pre order and my Gamestop had them open for order for a few days but for Series X they had 4 to preorder.

Got one through PS Direct one my first try but back when you could use the esc trick for refreshing the page.

WalMart was one of the easiest using the app because you could just spam add to cart

Bought two via the GameStop bundle programs and luckily my buddy who oversees GameStops let me return everything I didn't want.

For me using the Discord restock alerts have made it fairly easy but also being retired I am able to drop about anything I am doing to try to buy things like this
I think that is my problem. i am so busy, that I cant keep track of the stock news. By the time I heard about it, its gone.

Gonna wait for this summer. Hope there is some shipment for both consoles.

DaGwaphics

Why do you need so many PS5s? You're not flipping them on ebay on us are you. :messenger_beaming:

I think that is my problem. i am so busy, that I cant keep track of the stock news. By the time I heard about it, its gone.

Gonna wait for this summer. Hope there is some shipment for both consoles.

Yeah will probably look to upgrade to an XSX if/when you can just walk into a store and buy one. Maybe they'll have a nice Starfield special edition.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why do you need so many PS5s? You're not flipping them on ebay on us are you. :messenger_beaming:

Yeah will probably look to upgrade to an XSX if/when you can just walk into a store and buy one. Maybe they'll have a nice Starfield special edition.
I have sold a couple to family members at my cost but no I don’t flip any

I game on a large TV and on a monitor at my desk in two different locations depending on the weather

Maybe but can only go by whats on the record

Its just me but I honestly think if 360 did in fact hold a higher position on the overall sales record someone would have made that correction

No need to ever correct since it wasn't important. Xbox had gone from just over 30 mill to chopping into bigtime Playstation's market share. Considering what happened much of the gen, who ended in front is no longer important, because that strong a performance against the successor to the Playstation 2 definitely can't be considered a loss.

Skyrim keeps getting cited as a game that sold over 30 million. Todd Howard made clear in a recent IGN interview it has sold far more than 30 million. Why won't Bethesda correct the record? Because it's no longer important. The success of the game is obvious for all to see.

DaGwaphics

Last time I went there, they didnt have one. The GameStop in my area, sell the console online.

I'd probably try to get one at Target once they can hold them in stock for more than 30 seconds. They generally limit sales to online orders, but with at store pickup as the only delivery option (seems to help cut down on the bots).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last time I went there, they didnt have one. The GameStop in my area, sell the console online.

All the retail stores (Target, BB, Gamestop, Walmart) don't have any of the new consoles in the shelves since they launched, just a white paper with something like "for our customers safety we do not sell these consoles in store, you have to place the order online" something like that.

Top Bottom