• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Series X|S Reaches 12 Million Shipped, Analyst Says

reksveks

Got some French numbers/estimates

Tldr

Obviously caveat the supply is probably constrained

- Sony and Xbox splits exactly the same gen excluding Switch
- Switch turned a 77% split between MS and PS to 40%
- Both MS and Sony are behind the previous gen by about 40%
- in terms of splits: XSS is just over 50% in 2021, up from 30%. On the Sony side, the disc model is 85% of the consoles sold.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Got some French numbers/estimates

Tldr

Obviously caveat the supply is probably constrained

- Sony and Xbox splits exactly the same gen excluding Switch
- Switch turned a 77% split between MS and PS to 40%
- Both MS and Sony are behind the previous gen by about 40%
Also XSS selling more than XSX in France, although I can tell from living there that it’s because of supply. I bought my XSX day one and have never ever after that seen it available anywhere. Whereas it was doable to get a PS5 starting from Sept 2021.

reksveks

Also XSS selling more than XSX in France, although I can tell from living there that it’s because of supply. I bought my XSX day one and have never ever after that seen it available anywhere. Whereas it was doable to get a PS5 starting from Sept 2021.
will add the splits to my comment.

Mozza

My first purchased one was just done by pre order and my Gamestop had them open for order for a few days but for Series X they had 4 to preorder.

Got one through PS Direct one my first try but back when you could use the esc trick for refreshing the page.

WalMart was one of the easiest using the app because you could just spam add to cart

Bought two via the GameStop bundle programs and luckily my buddy who oversees GameStops let me return everything I didn't want.

Got lucky on Best Buy drop with one.

For me using the Discord restock alerts have made it fairly easy but also being retired I am able to drop about anything I am doing to try to buy things like this
I think if you are organized and have stock alerts to your phone etc, picking up a PS5 or Series X is not all that hard, in the U.K even the E-bay scalper prices are not that much more than retail.

I mean it's incredibly unlikely to get even close to 50/50 globally, but I definitely think there's a lot of underestimating of how much impact the new studios are going to have on sales this generation. Right now there hasn't been an Xbox exclusive for XSX/XSS released by one of their new studios, basically carried by Halo/Forza (which "everybody's sick of" ) and Game Pass, once Starfield, and Redfall, and Avowed, and Fable, and Hellblade 2, and many other games (not to mention the massive Elder Scrolls 6) start releasing as Xbox exclusive games, way more people are going to start buying an Xbox for them. Unless you have a gaming PC, you're probably going to have to have both a PS5 and XSX/XSS in order to fully appreciate the best games this gen

What? No

I'm saying had Sony not botched the PS3 gen they would have done much better than the 360, not that the 360 would have done worse
Can't you say this about anything though? If the Xbox one hadn't shit the bed it would have done a lot better. It had momentum from the previous generation. Unfortunately the Xbox one had a power limitation problem compounded by a stupid price point before the Kinect was sold separately. It had a disastrous launch and by the time it had started to turn the ship around 3rd party devs had already moved on.

The PS5 13.4m number in Q2 was sales not shipped. If Xbox may have shipped 12 sales are probably 10 million or so. There is always a notable difference between sales and shipped. I am guessing PS5 sales are 19 or so million. So slightly less but almost at 2:1 overall ration.

Impossible. Sony will not have made more than 17 millions by the end of last year, imo, seeing that they had anticipated 22 millions by the 31st of March, before lowering their expectations on account of covid related shortages.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Impossible. Sony will not have made more than 17 millions by the end of last year, imo, seeing that they had anticipated 22 millions by the 31st of March, before lowering their expectations on account of covid related shortages.
It is very possible and even likely for them to exceed 17 million if they were able to simply boost unit production from prior quarter by just ~10%, not to mention it was the holiday quarter.

Top Bottom