• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Studio Boss Matt Booty talks Halo, Starfield and Xbox in 2023 | Friends Per Second Podcast

geary

Matt Booty interview on Friends Per Second (SkillUp's podcast).

1. Grounded was played by 13 mil players.
  2. Coalitions helps Undead Lab with animation for State of Decay 3
  3. Obsidian's Pentiment has happen because Gamepass and it's entirely Josh Sawyer idea and the team chance to get more heavy projects in the future;
  4. Negative sides of Gamepass in Matt Booty's opinion: game design is inherently tied to business model
  5. Halo Infinite had in December 2021 a peak of 20 mil players playing the game.
  6. Bigger the team working on a game, harder to ship it.
  7. Halo Infinite plan to give content fell short and he recognize it
  8. 343 leadership and team changed and refocused to sustain content release and regular updates
  9. Crystal Dynamics was brought to co-develop as equal partner the Perfect Dark game because the creation of a new studio and developing a new AAA game at the same time was not as feasible as they thought.
  10. Crystal Dynamics had ~100 people available not working on a game and was a perfect match for helping The Initiative to do Perfect Dark.
  11. Playground Games pitch Fable and they were given credit due to their technology base and high quality work till now.
  12. inExile new game impressed the other studio from MS when was showed a demo on their meetings.
  13. Starfield is more than Skyrim in space and he calls the art style "Nasapunk";
  14. Forza Motorsport is gonna blow people away;
  15. Not confirmed, but Redfall might come before Starfield.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Negative sides of Gamepass in Matt Booty's opinion: game design is inherently tied to business model
  1. Halo Infinite plan to give content fell short and he recognize it
  2. 343 leadership and team changed and refocused to sustain content release and regular updates
Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
No, no, you misunderstand. "F2P" is the reason why sub models impact design.

F2P eats sub plans for lunch, this isn't news. Hence why most MMOs ditched the sub for a more lucrative psychology of F2P. Welcome to a decade ago.
I highlighted this in another post. This is what would happen, if the f2p model takes over.

yurinka

Here is some prices for a certain gatcha game. The last picture, is the rarest loot box summon. You need 50 pieces or 1 complete scroll to summon. You have 1/300+ chance to get a 5* light and dark unit. So imagine, how people spend on that one.
Omnjn3V.png
4klkYp1.png
aDlbaXv.png
x9A9qbR.png
Ptjka0Q.png
g4tqz3I.png
Bpvu6sn.png
k1PQDC8.png

reksveks

And that's when I become a retro gamer only. Or, just not game anymore and double up on nature.
same but i don't think Gamepass is slowing/speeding that up for the industry as a whole and also don't believe that Single player games without MTX are going to disappear.

The idea that Gamepass is going to lead to just MTX/GAAS feels a bit hard to put together with MS buying Double Fine and releasing Pentiment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Undead Lab not talented confirmed. MS you have a talent problem, you need to address that. Im tired of seeing Coalition having to help x studios under your umbrella
3741ec0f-9d63-405e-8d10-fc6132e73161_text.gif
I really dont understand this. Coalition was their one productive studio pumping out games every 3 years. Now they have turned them into a support studio helping Epic ship Matrix on Series S, helping Undead labs, and even Halo Infinite. Like WTF, hire some animators, no?

Its been 3 years since Gears 5, and not even a teaser from this once productive studio? They literally made an entire game from scratch in 3 years. Took them just over 2 years to make Gears 4 after Phil cancelled their new IP.

feynoob

Banned
same but i don't think Gamepass is slowing/speeding that up for the industry as a whole and also don't believe that Single player games without MTX are going to disappear.

The idea that Gamepass is going to lead to just MTX/GAAS feels a bit hard to put together with MS buying Double Fine and releasing Pentiment.
All people need to look is PS upcoming live service games.

The issue is above gamepass. MTX is the root of all this shit. And companies are getting fat money from those mtx monitization. MS benifited this massively with their mtx(Skin cosmetic) games. Now its Sony turn to benefit from this.

feynoob

Banned
I really dont understand this. Coalition was their one productive studio pumping out games every 3 years. Now they have turned them into a support studio helping Epic ship Matrix on Series S, helping Undead labs, and even Halo Infinite. Like WTF, hire some animators, no?

Its been 3 years since Gears 5, and not even a teaser from this once productive studio? They literally made an entire game from scratch in 3 years. Took them just over 2 years to make Gears 4 after Phil cancelled their new IP.
Didnt they do hive buster recently?

Plus its common for in-house studios to help other studios. Sometimes, devs face problems, which other devs can help them fix it.

ID software was helping zenimax studios with their games, especially on the gun part.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Didnt they do hive buster recently?

Plus its common for in-house studios to help other studios. Sometimes, devs face problems, which other devs can help them fix it.

ID software was helping zenimax studios with their games, especially on the gun part.
Hive busters was a DLC that came out in 2020. They havent released a new game 3 years or even any footage of it. It's fine if they want to help out, but it should not come at the expense of their own productivity.

Undead Lab not talented confirmed. MS you have a talent problem, you need to address that. Im tired of seeing Coalition having to help x studios under your umbrella
Sony studios help other studios all the time, praised as a big brain move. The most technically impressive studio MS has does the same for MS, and its indicative of the other teams being bad.

GAF really is full of the best and brightest.

feynoob

Banned
Hive busters was a DLC that came out in 2020. They havent released a new game 3 years or even any footage of it. It's fine if they want to help out, but it should not come at the expense of their own productivity.
I mean, they finished that dlc.
Plus they are working on a new IP, Plus gears 6 using UE5.
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8749...elopment-at-the-coalition-may-be-6/index.html
The job listings also mention the new Gears game will be a AAA experience built in Unreal Engine 5.

The Coalition is a Microsoft first-party development studio located in Vancouver, Canada. We are the official home of the Gears of War franchise, and our objective is to forge the future of the IP and push the limits of Microsoft's entertainment platforms and devices. Our team is comprised of deep creative and technical talent from across our industry and beyond, working cohesively to delight our fan base and pass expectations of what is possible.

Here's a brief run-down of the pertinent details from the job listings:

Senior Multiplayer Designer - The Coalition is seeking a skilled and experienced multiplayer designer to help create AAA cooperative and competitive game experiences.
Senior Gameplay Designer - The Coalition is seeking a skilled and experienced gameplay designer to help create AAA game experiences.
Lead Mission Designer - The Coalition is seeking an inspiring, highly motivated Mission Design Lead with a proven track record of delivering highly engaging, high-quality campaign experiences in games. In this position you will work with the Campaign Director and the Level Design Team to design the campaign experience, its pacing, its rewards, and the features that surround it.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8749...elopment-at-the-coalition-may-be-6/index.html

Robb

Gold Member
I’m always surprised by some of MS titles, like Grounded and Sea of Thieves. I feel like I almost never hear about them and I have no interest in them myself, yet they always have a very large user base and seem very popular.

Must be pretty cool for the team behind Grounded, I read somewhere it was a very small team who worked on it.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Strong interview, Matt Booty can come off as a hand-waiving cheerleader in tweets but this is honest and introspective while hype-filled for the future. And I'm intrigued in some of his comments for what that may mean on future developments.

It's a little less than an hour long, give Skill Up the view for this if you can.

Last edited:

Roberts

I’m always surprised by some of MS titles, like Grounded and Sea of Thieves. I feel like I almost never hear about them and I have no interest in them myself, yet they always have a very large user base and seem very popular.

Must be pretty cool for the team behind Grounded, I read somewhere it was a very small team who worked on it.
Because both are amazing and highly addictive games if you have friends and are willing to play with them. I’ve probably spent around 50 hours in Grounded already and we are still finding new things you can do in it.

CamHostage

I'm still confused why Crystal Dynamics had 100 employees just sitting around... they just launched a Marvel GAAS, and a messy one at that, why was everybody lounging around at the foosball table waiting for work instead of cracking down on CD's big nightmare project?

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Really? But we have plenty of experts here who saying that these things are not connected
Anyone with a brain should've been able to understand this was the case. Essentially every 1st party game will be built around the GaaS model and will suffer cause of it.

Developers won't be allowed to make a singular focused 20 hour experience cause they'll have to force some sorta weekly bs reason to jump back in or attach a season pass for absolutely no reason.

Top Bottom