• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Studios has 7 titles releasing in the next 12 months

Kagey K

Banned
So 2 noteworthy games and some shovelware to bloat those gamepass numbers.
One man's Shovelware is another man's Goty.

Just because you arent excited for them, doesnt mean somebody else isnt.
I wonder if they have anything for the 2nd half of 2023?

There could have Hellblade 2, compulsions game maybe state of decay 3?
I expect if they keep the same 12 month format next year there are going to be a ton of games at the show.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Phil is killing it. Rats are hyped and eating good.

Rat Pushups GIF by moodman

Cheese Relaxing GIF

Robb

Gold Member
Looking forward to StarField the most. I’ll give RedFall a shot as well, but I’m not sold on that one yet.

Godot25

Banned
Yeah. And it's possible that deal with ABK will go through before Diablo IV release, so then we can also count Diablo IV.

Like. There is no denying that 2022 first-party wise was tragic for Microsoft. But it should be last year where they will release less then 4-5 first-party games per year.

Also OP, you forgot ARA: History Untold. I know that it is PC only, but it is still Xbox Game Studio game releasing in first half of 2023.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Of course, it looks like it will be a good game in the end but it looked very rough and half baked at the showcase.

The same was said about this year. These release dates aren’t set in stone like they use to be so I would at least wait to see how things play out once we get into 2023.
Even if anything geys delayed, it seems likely these games will still make 2023.

There is more reasons to think they will make 2023 then they wont.

1. Turn 10 have a good track record with releasing on schedule.
2. Starfield has already been delayed once which decreases the chance of it getting delayed again.
3. Redfall has has been delayed once which decreases the chance of another delay.
4. Mojang are good at hitting release dates.

So when the information suggests they wont be delayed, I dont know why anyone would think the opposite.

Seem like whataboutism to be honest.

WitchHunter

Banned
I know that most of these are not the AAA titles that people are waiting for but it is still good to finally see a steady flow of Xbox 1st party releases. 2023 looks to be the year of the AAA titles with Forza Motorsport, Redfall and Starfield all coming in the 1st half of the year. My guess would be for the 2nd half of 2023 we will be getting Avowed and Hellblade II. If those are the releases that we will be getting for 2023 that would be a really good lineup for the year. I know the Xbox conference was not as good as people expected but after having a few days to process it I am now glad that they went with only showing what is coming in the next 12 months. This new format was needed and getting 1st party releases through out the entire year is something I have been waiting years to see. Looks like we are finally getting there.

Release Date: July 19

WY1KWN4.jpg

Release Date: July 28

xMoYIIw.jpg

Release Date: November 2022

rRpPimo.jpg

Release Date: 1st Half 2023

naOfqtl.jpg

7J3YKGa.jpg

VyB0Eum.jpg

Release: 1st Half 2023

jXP1DzC.jpg
how interestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Kagey K

Banned
The same was said about this year. These release dates aren’t set in stone like they use to be so I would at least wait to see how things play out once we get into 2023.
I would like to think that now that they have a couple years under thier belt of employees sitting at home, getting stoned and watching cartoons, they know just how fast they will work now.

Release dates are probably getting more solid and less fluid like the were in 20 and 21

Kagey K

Banned
Pretty weak lineup IMO.

Is 2023 still gonna count as "because Covid"?
Since games take 3-5 years to make, did Covid affect them during that time?

We are going to see the effects of covid (lockdowns, inflation and government spending) on most of our lives for at least the next 10 years.

Last edited:
I also think starfield will get delayed to holiday 2023. It was the first thing I thought when I saw the gameplay. Its a very ambitious game and will need more time and Releasing in a bad state would be suicide. They really need to give it as much time as it needs and get it right and be a big game for xbox. Especially when sony and Nintendo will be hot with major releases of their own.

the rest of the games are ones I may try but nothing that really stands out and gets you hyped. I want to see more of the other big games from Microsoft.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
With all these other co-op shooters in the wild. I can't see what Redfall brings new to the table? They tried to explain that every character has it's own abilities, but it's not like that is ground breaking or something new.

It comes down more to whether the world is interesting, whether the enemies are interesting and the gunplay is somewhat good. Back 4 Blood had quite a few issues at launch and the gunplay didn't always feel right I must say.

Last edited:

mxbison

Since games take 3-5 years to make, did Covid affect them during that time?

We are going to see the effects of covid (lockdowns, inflation and government spending) on most of our lives for at least the next 10 years.

I mean, it's software development.

Most companies switched to full remote work in like 2 weeks. Most people literally just had to take their laptops and docking stations home with them.

Sure it would cause some issues and delay things at first, but it's getting kinda ridiculous now.

Kagey K

Banned
I mean, it's software development.

Most companies switched to full remote work in like 2 weeks. Most people literally just had to take their laptops and docking stations home with them.

Sure it would cause some issues and delay things at first, but it's getting kinda ridiculous now.
The problem is in the office you can see how much they work vs monitoring thier phone or social websites.

If you were getting 5 hours of work out of them at the office you are likely getting under 2 hours of work from them at home.

Mister Wolf

With all these other co-op shooters in the wild. I can't see what Redfall brings new to the table? They tried to explain that every character has it's own abilities, but it's not like that is ground breaking or something new.

It comes down more to whether the world is interesting, whether the enemies are interesting and the gunplay is somewhat good. Back 4 Blood had quite a few issues at launch and the gunplay didn't always feel right I must say.

How many story driven sandbox/open world 1-4 player shooters with ability skill trees are there really besides Borderlands?

Last edited:
I'm interested in all of them with the exception of Minecraft Legends. I think Pentiment has the potential to be a standout alongside Starfield.

Microsoft is very impressive when it comes to the diversity of genres they offer.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How many story driven sandbox/open world 1-4 player shooters are there really besides Borderlands?
Shhh.

The fact that you can play it with friends excludes many of the favors as they have no friends to play it with.

Joking April Fools GIF by Katelyn Tarver

But when you cultivate that culture, getting them to be more social is going to be a task.

Mister Wolf

Shhh.

The fact that you can play it with friends excludes many of the favors as they have no friends to play it with.

Joking April Fools GIF by Katelyn Tarver

But when you cultivate that culture, getting them to be more social is going to be a task.

What I'm not understanding is why people keep mentioning L4D or B4B. Clearly the game is copying the style of Borderlands. A single player story driven game with optional drop in drop out co-op to help you with your playthrough. This game won't even have bots in your world while you're playing single player. You are on your own like every other game made by Arkane.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
What I'm not understanding is why people keep mentioning L4D or B4B. Clearly the game is copying the style of Borderlands. A single player story driven game with optional drop in drop out co-op to help you with your playthrough. This game won't even have bots in your world while you're playing single player. You are on your own like every other game made by Arkane.
Even Pete Hines said he understood where the comparisons were coming from, but explained how they weren't the same in that Xbox extended interview.

Kiraly

Any non-AAA game = Game Pass filler or shovelware

Lol

Roberts

In the order of anticipation:

1) Starfield - There's no contest. Bethesda build the best worlds to get lost in. I really loved the film Ad Astra, in many ways because our need to explore the unknown will always drag our worst impulses with us and how drab, hanging-by-the-thread miserable space exploration could potentially be. And this game seems to nail it as well.

2) Pentiment - I think the nailed the visual aesthetic perfectly, because these seemingly crude and primitive drawings are so in sync with the art style from the period it portrays. But mostly, because it is Sawyer's passion project so I am expecting a very deep, complicated storytelling with great puzzles and ideas.

3) Redfall - because it is Arkane and they are yet to disappoint me. And even though I am an old fart, I don't really have the problem with protags and the art style in general.

4) Grounded - It probably should be higher on the list, because I have played this quite a lot and loved every minute of it. It is by far the most fun and interesting survival game there is on the market.

5) Minecraft Legends - Minecraft Dungeons was a pretty darn good game and I usually like RTS games, so while I don't REALLY need more Minecraft in my life, I will check it out at least.

6) Forza Motorsport. Forza Horizon are my cup of tea instead of this, but I will check it out purely to see it how it looks from the tech pov.

7) As Dusk Falls. I totally get the visual novel style, but I just don't see how it will work when you actually play the game. And while the storytelling seems to be fine, there are tons of neo-noirs and low-fi gritty thrillers I can always rewatch instead of playing them.

Top Bottom