• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox vs Sega - which console line do you like more

Which console line do you like more?

• Total voters

LakeOf9

It’s hard to believe but at this point Microsoft has been doing consoles for longer than Sega ever did.

But both put our four consoles each, both never had a first place finish but managed to be very influential anyway, both had one very successful console that they squandered the lead of because they misguidedly chased peripherals at the end of the generation, both never quite achieved full global success (which kept them from outdoing their competition), both had a signature franchise that got mismanaged horribly, both pioneered online play and digital distribution services. There’s a lot of similarities there.

Between Xbox and Sega, which console line does you think was better?

XBOX
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series S|X

SEGA
Master System
Mega Drive
Saturn
Dreamcast

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sega overall but I’ll take the 360 library over any of Sega’s. MS has had some very low lows and one high point. Although OG Xbox had some bangers as well.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Xbox and it's not close.

For Sega, Mega Drive/Genesis and Dreamcast were really good, the rest not so much.

For Xbox, every console has been great other than maybe the Xbox One.

Mr Hyde

Was a major fan of Sega back in the day. Owned all of their consoles, except Master System and all the weird add ons for Mega Drive. Was devastated when they dropped the DC and left the console business. Lost my passion for video games for a couple of years before bouncing back with a PS2 and a Gamecube. For Xbox, I never really cared for their hardware, and now that MS is fully invested in PC, that is where I will be when enjoying Xbox games.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Xbox is Dreamcast continuation.

You could say that Sega is alive in the body of Xbox.

I never understood this sentiment. There is nothing at all about Xbox that reminds me of Sega.

Nothing.

Sega was incredible with their first party games, and a leader at the forefront of the arcade industry.
Microsoft shit out some major stinkers until they went and bought a bunch timed exclusives, and later publishers.

feynoob

Banned
I never understood this sentiment. There is nothing at all about Xbox that reminds me of Sega.

Nothing.

Sega was incredible with their first party games, and a leader at the forefront of the arcade industry.
Microsoft shit out some major stinkers until they went and bought a bunch timed exclusives, and later publishers.

Xbox easily. Sega exclusives on Xbox along with just about every classic Sega game making its way to that line of consoles with the latest console still being backwards compatible with most of em? Sega heaven.

Btw there’s an anime called Uncle From Another World that constantly references Sega games you nerds should check out.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
XBox. I mean yes the Mega Drive was godly but....OG XBox was like a better Dreamcast, and 360 might just be the best console ever, even as an old toothless fool with no hair and bad hips now and started gaming on the NES.

Xbox and it isn’t even close. Only sega console I liked was the genesis.

Dreamcast had good ideas but didn’t fully flesh it out because it didn’t last long :(

Halo, Gears, Forza Horizon, Fable, Doom, and Wolfenstein > all sega games.

wibago

Banned
It’s hard to believe but at this point Microsoft has been doing consoles for longer than Sega ever did.

But both put our four consoles each, both never had a first place finish but managed to be very influential anyway, both had one very successful console that they squandered the lead of because they misguidedly chased peripherals at the end of the generation, both never quite achieved full global success (which kept them from outdoing their competition), both had a signature franchise that got mismanaged horribly, both pioneered online play and digital distribution services. There’s a lot of similarities there.

Between Xbox and Sega, which console line does you think was better?

XBOX
Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One
Xbox Series S|X

SEGA
Master System
Mega Drive
Saturn
Dreamcast
also i'm currently using this site for games and other mod apk's APK Hooks. check it out
Xbox and Sega have indeed had significant impacts on the gaming industry, each with its own strengths and contributions. Here are some key points to consider when comparing the console lines:

1. Success and Influence: Xbox has achieved greater commercial success compared to Sega's consoles, with a larger user base and more market share. Xbox's impact on the gaming industry, especially with the Xbox 360, has been significant.
  2. Games and Franchises: Both Xbox and Sega had iconic franchises associated with their consoles. Xbox has notable franchises like Halo, Gears of War, and Forza, while Sega had popular franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog and Phantasy Star. The quality and popularity of these franchises can be subjective and depend on personal preferences.
  3. Technological Innovation: Sega consoles were known for pushing technological boundaries, particularly the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast, which introduced advanced features like online play and unique game experiences. Xbox, especially with the Xbox 360 and subsequent consoles, also introduced innovative features and technologies, including Xbox Live and digital distribution platforms.
  4. Longevity and Market Presence: Microsoft's Xbox consoles have had a longer lifespan and continued support compared to Sega's consoles. Sega exited the hardware market after the Dreamcast, while Xbox continues to release new consoles and maintain a strong presence in the gaming industry.
Ultimately, determining which console line was better is subjective and depends on individual preferences and priorities. It's essential to consider factors such as game libraries, technological advancements, market success, and personal nostalgia when making a judgment.

Last edited:
If I could go back to 1999 and tell the younger me what the DreamCast would truly be like, I think I would have bought one. I was too busy waiting for the PlayStation 2 and we had a MegaDrive as our second console.

The sad thing is apart from sponsoring those title bottling shitebag Gooners Arsenal, the DreamCast had very little marketing here. Electronics Boutique had the most branches of any gaming company to the best of my knowledge before rebranding as GAME to distance themselves from the US company, that I remember looking for PlayStation games and there was a huge wall of PlayStation titles, a huge wall of PC games, a small stand for SNES, MegaDrive and, fucking hell, even the odd Jaguar title. Nintendo 64 used to have a good corner. But Dreamcast has one set of shelves and that was it. It was way out of sight. Everyone was just waiting for PlayStation 2.

But I wish I would have got one. I really do. Especially if it meant Microsoft not entering the market.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No competition.

Monday Beat Up GIF by SEGA

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xbox is the spiritual successor to Sega consoles. And it’s the only one where you can play 95% of the Sonic games, including Sonic 3 with the MJ music.

Sega and it's not even close. Some of that is childhood bias, but there's other things too.

Sega's made way cooler-looking consoles than Microsoft has. They have had many genuine classics on all of their major consoles that have stood the test of time to this day; Microsoft has not managed this. I'm just also more partial to some of the genres Sega's 1P covered compared to the genres Microsoft has tended to focus on 1P-wise over the years.

I owned a Saturn. It had a few gems but wasn't good and singlehandedly forced Sega to exit the industry as a platform holder.

No that was the Dreamcast's underperformance in the retail market.

The funny part about this is, the Xbox could've been the OFFICIAL successor to the Dreamcast but it was Microsoft who rejected Sega's proposal on that. Also rejected Dreamcast BC for the Xbox.

The only real reasons OG Xbox felt like a natural successor to Dreamcast was due to Sega's games on it and the Xbox being a niche system for more hardcore gamers. By 2009 or so Xbox identity-wise kind of lost much of that and after Kinect? Total identity shift.

It has not felt like a spiritual successor to Sega's hardware efforts for over a decade.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Sega and it's not even close. Some of that is childhood bias, but there's other things too.

Sega's made way cooler-looking consoles than Microsoft has. They have had many genuine classics on all of their major consoles that have stood the test of time to this day; Microsoft has not managed this. I'm just also more partial to some of the genres Sega's 1P covered compared to the genres Microsoft has tended to focus on 1P-wise over the years.

No that was the Dreamcast's underperformance in the retail market.

Dreamcast did pretty well, but it just wasn't enough to overcome the position that the Saturn's failures put Sega in.

It's well documented.

Dreamcast did pretty well, but it just wasn't enough to overcome the position that the Saturn's failures put Sega in.

It's well documented.

Well, some of Dreamcast's issues were self-inflicted, like Bernie Stolar pushing for $199 in the US instead of the $249 Sega of Japan wanted (so they never made enough in hardware revenue to offset losses).

Dreamcast did restore faith in Sega's brand image among gamers in the West though, so always have to give it credit for that.

Xbox is Dreamcast continuation.

You could say that Sega is alive in the body of Xbox.
For a brief moment in time, the xbox was a respectable offering where it was different and had that power differential. A true sega successor. Then they gave up in 2010 and gave me profound sadness.

It's well documented.

It comes as shock to us in North America, but the Saturn actually outsold the Dreamcast. It was relatively successful in Japan, outselling the N64, and had a fairly long lifespan. It was the only time in console history that I remember seeing Japanese games like X-men vs Street Fighter in big US retail chains.

The Dreamcast was sold at a deep discount from day one and Sega was rapidly losing money. It didn’t help that it was easy to pirate games on it and the PS2 came out a year later ending any small possibility it had at recovering.

I miss Sega. Some good memories.

This has to be a joke post but congrats, you're getting the attention. SEGA, period. Lots of memories but nothing will touch Dreamcast midnight launch and playing Soul Calibur with a buddy until 4am, good times. Oh, and I'm one of those rare people that loved Altered Beast 👌

cireza

Banned
SEGA made legendary consoles one after another. Xbox have been your standard gaming boxes since the very beginning.

They are two different eras, nothing modern compares with the charm of these older systems.

Crayon

Both leaked with second console and went downhill from there. I like Sega alot more but that is just bee default because I go back and play games of the 16-32 bit vintage regularly. Meanwhile I find the ps360 gen is better left in the past.

Top Bottom