• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox will host a new Developer_Direct games show with Arkane, Bethesda, and more — Starfield reportedly not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
You’ll have to wait until the end of March, or later, for that wishful shadow drop announcement ;)

we don't exactly know the deal do we? could be 9 months or 12, or maybe they came to an agreement behind the scenes.

let's see. it would be a good way to give the game a bit of traction

nial

Gold Member
shadow drop for sure.
they totally gonna do the "available in gamepass and gamepass for PC after the show"
I don't think so, it cannot be released on Xbox Series until March.
Edit: Has Sony ever done a 9 month old exclusivity deal before? Going by Deathloop, it's likely a 1 year exclusivity deal as well.

Last edited:
we don't exactly know the deal do we? could be 9 months or 12, or maybe they came to an agreement behind the scenes.

let's see. it would be a good way to give the game a bit of traction
Almost certainly will be like the Deathloop situation, which dropped on Xbox very soon after the 12 month exclusivity period ended. I wouldn't count on hearing a peep about it before march.

Topfuel

Todd is doing a stealth drop with Starfield? Looking forward to seeing some more Redfall gameplay and Forza.

Last edited:

sainraja

And yet they aren't. So far they consistently save the biggest stuff for e3.
There was no E3 last year (it was cancelled). MS hosted their own show. If there is an E3 event this year and I am not 100% confident that there will be...Microsoft might have to host their own show anyway — which is exactly what Nintendo Direct or Sony State of Play shows are. MS just hasn't officially branded it anything.

If they do the same again, it's not E3. E3 is a separate organization....that was behind the actual show.

Last edited:

sainraja

It's funny watching all the people saying this "doesn't make up for missing the Keighleys" pretend like Sonys (relatively small) presence at the Keighleys made up for missing all the major gaming events Xbox turned up at in 2022 (E3, Gamescom and TGS).

Now that Xbox is holding a smaller show a month later, deep diving on 1st party games releasing in q1/q2, you expect it to be another E3 level showcase before THIS COMING E3 (which Sony will most likely no-show again for the 3rd time). Pure comedy.
There was no E3 last year so Xbox didn't show up there either (obviously). They hosted their own show which both Nintendo and Sony have been doing, but yes, on their own schedule, and not what use to be the E3 schedule.

Last edited:
I feel like MS has some really good games in the pipeline...but its time for them to just show some raw gameplay of stuff if it's ready..and if it isn't ready then whats going on cause quite a few games have been in development for quite some time.

I know making slices of gameplay can take away from dev at times too and cause distractions but shit...I'm eager to see some of the stuff they been holding.

Foilz

Banned
What??? Putting out 3 AAA first part IP, including two new IPs is as good as any first party has ever done, ever
They have like 20+ studios now wtf are they all doing. There has to be more going on besides redfall, starfield and Forza. We all know these are coming, we've known for a long time. Where's everything else? Forza ,redfall and starfield are not enough for MS to compete with.

coffinbirth

Starfield needs to be there regardless. The lineup in this pre-announcement leak is weak. There isn't any major title to attract a ton of interest. Even if Starfield isn't playable at this event like the others, it needs to have a new trailer to close out the show or something.

What do you think this is? These will be pre-taped developer narrated montages with interviews for games releasing soon. Their ability to "attract a ton of interest" is pretty good considering the pedigree of the talent involved, if that's not good enough for you, that's YOUR problem.
They already did one of these for Starfield during their "Not E3" presentation...which is their "show"....which happens in June, that's where you'll see "new" stuff.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Give us dates for Forza, Redfall, Minecraft Legends, Starfield
maybe reveal second expansion for FH5
maybe throw in some Game Pass Day 1 games with release dates (Lies of P?)
Give God Howard 30 minutes for Starfield presentation
maybe some stinger at the end "we will see you in June" with Avowed/Hellblade 2

then promptly fuck off

10/10 show
There will be date for starfield......11/12/2023....

johnjohn

The title isn't really accurate, Jez doesn't know if it's there or not. Either way, I'm excited to see more of everything that's coming, and hopefully Grubb is right and we get to see that Hi-Fi Rush game from Tango.

MOTM

Banned
They have like 20+ studios now wtf are they all doing. There has to be more going on besides redfall, starfield and Forza. We all know these are coming, we've known for a long time. Where's everything else? Forza ,redfall and starfield are not enough for MS to compete with.
Ever crossed your mind they’ll have a show like this every quarter? Like Nintendo or Sony? If that’s 3 games per show that’s 12 deep dives per year.

Just relax and breath a bit sheesh.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Some of you will never be happy so why bother?

No Starfield means it's releasing after E3.

Xbox is my platform of choice and I'm really optimistic about their future. I'm just saying that a second showing of Forza, a second showing of Redfall, and a second showing of Minecraft Legends doesn't cut it as a replacement for the TGA no show. People want to see Hellblade II and Avowed and Perfect Dark and Starfield and Fable and other new big AAA announcements.

Outside of Forza, consumer interest is pretty tepid around Redfall and Minecraft Legends (and even with Forza, it's a pretty niche game).

I think/hope they'll show more than just those 3 games, and I think/hope the show will be really good, but people have been waiting to see more of the big hitters (and with release dates or release windows) for years and years and years now.

Last edited:
If the rumours are accurate I don’t care for those games, had more than enough of Forza, Minecraft zero interest, Redfall the same and Starfield didn’t excite me at all from the last showing.

The kind of games I’d like to see I’ll probably have to wait much longer for like Hellblade 2 and Fable.

Gambit2483

Holy Fuck! Starfield was delayed and supposed to come out in 1st half of 2023. That is June. Not showing ANYTHING in a January direct screams another delay.

I can see Starfield ultimately coming out in November. They cannot afford to launch another flagship title unfinished and broken. They need as much time as they can get at this point.

mortal

Gold Member
It sounds like an emphasis on the titles slated for release this year. So will the format resemble a Nintendo Direct or State of Play? I can see Starfield having its own dedicated deep dive showcase later this year as well.

EDMIX

Yeah, starfield ain't coming until November 2023 I think. They will show it again at summer show with the release date. They will say they need a bit more time to polish it and get it ready.

True, if we don't hear about by summer, its likely missing that fall date.

It sucks, but I want it in the best possible state, if it must be delayed.......then so be it.

pasterpl

That or also wouldn't surprise me if its the showcase for MS for E3 with a holiday release
Yeah, might be a case as well as they need a system seller for holidays season this year. We will get forza, potentially forza horizon, redfall, stalker 2 and couple more already listed games before that. Unless they surprise us with release dates for avowed, perfect dark, hellblade 2, state of decay, fable and the rest of the IPs they are working on (I know it will not happen, but one can have hope). There also seems they have got quite few good looking games scheduled for gamepass in h1 2023 (flintlock, atomic heart etc.)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Sounds good to me. But they have to drop a Starfield release date and say a dedicated show is coming for it though. Even if its pushed back to say November. Radio silence on that would be a bad look. I think they learned their lesson with Halo, they can't afford Starfield to miss and release in a bad state.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom