• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox will host a new Developer_Direct games show with Arkane, Bethesda, and more — Starfield reportedly not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
People still saying "This is good for starfield, it means it will release even earlier!" are completely out of their minds. It is still very far away from release.
Most prob Starfield is so vast, it will have its own dedicated show. The who point of last year's June showcase was to show games that will release before June 2023 Xbox were only showing games that would be out over the next year.

Ozriel

M$FT
Xbox is my platform of choice and I'm really optimistic about their future. I'm just saying that a second showing of Forza, a second showing of Redfall, and a second showing of Minecraft Legends doesn't cut it as a replacement for the TGA no show. People want to see Hellblade II and Avowed and Perfect Dark and Starfield and Fable and other new big AAA announcements.

Nobody showed extensive deep dives at TGA, so it’s puzzling how you keep claiming that a deep look into upcoming games is ‘no replacement’ for that, and is somehow worse.

They haven’t shown any in-depth look at Forza. There’s still a lot of unanswered questions about Redfall. And Minecraft is a much needed family friendly entry that will prove to be popular.

Outside of Forza, consumer interest is pretty tepid around Redfall and Minecraft Legends (and even with Forza, it's a pretty niche game).

If consumer interest is ‘tepid’ as you claim, why wouldn’t you expect marketing to try to correct that by focusing on those games?

but people have been waiting to see more of the big hitters (and with release dates or release windows) for years and years and years now.

There’ll be more showcases, at bigger stages. June’s E3 window is one of them. For now, the focus should be on the games releasing this year.

Godot25

Banned
There will be date for starfield......11/12/2023....
Nah. I'm still #StarfieldH1 team

I think that Starfield will be out in June.
Outside of fact that Bethesda itself few days ago put support page up that said "Starfield will release H1 of 2023" I honestly don't think that even if Starfield will be absent at this showcase, that it necessarily means that Starfield is delayed.

DragonNCM

Forza 8 is another racing game......
Redfall = L4D
Starfield will be delayed
Hellblade 2 is M.I.A
And what will they show ?
FH5 new DLC?
Microsoft FS DLC ?
New Halo: Infinite armors?
Some indie shovelwear?
Playstation timed exclusives who will come to gamepass ?
They rly need to step up their game because others are already in lead.......

Godot25

Banned
Xbox is my platform of choice and I'm really optimistic about their future. I'm just saying that a second showing of Forza, a second showing of Redfall, and a second showing of Minecraft Legends doesn't cut it as a replacement for the TGA no show. People want to see Hellblade II and Avowed and Perfect Dark and Starfield and Fable and other new big AAA announcements.

Outside of Forza, consumer interest is pretty tepid around Redfall and Minecraft Legends (and even with Forza, it's a pretty niche game).

I think/hope they'll show more than just those 3 games, and I think/hope the show will be really good, but people have been waiting to see more of the big hitters (and with release dates or release windows) for years and years and years now.
Sorry, but Xbox players cried for months that they want smaller show (Nintendo Direct style) focused on games that will be out soon. This is exactly what Microsoft is trying to deliver. They want to have updates for games that will be out in next few months and then bigger show in "E3 time" with bigger reveals.

It's funny, because Microsoft even named it differently (according to WC) so people would understand that. Clearly it's not enough.

Like...what the fuck is the point of showing Perfect Dark, Hellblade II and Fable in January 2023 when those games will be out in late 2023 at best (I think that Hellblade II will be out this year)? Isn't it better to show games that are currently slated? Especially when none of that games have actual release dates?

I will also say this. If Microsoft is really preparing for Starfield no-show and wants to have separate presentation, at least acknowledge in the stream that people wanted to see that and that you are preparing that separate presentation in later date. Because if not, I guess people on GAF will try to speculate, that Starfield is switching engines or something.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

Outside of fact that Bethesda itself few days ago put support page up that said "Starfield will release H1 of 2023" I honestly don't think that even if Starfield will be absent at this showcase, that it necessarily means that Starfield is delayed.
Maybe it will be. Just hope will not be Cyberpank launch level of quality.
Only game I care is that & from video they provided I'm worried :messenger_downcast_sweat:

clarky

Gold Member
Redfall = L4D
Hellblade 2 is M.I.A
FH5 new DLC?
Microsoft FS DLC ?
Some indie shovelwear?
You rly need to stop posting complete nonsense.

Chukhopops

I hope they show more of ARA, Planet of Lana and Minecraft Legends on top of the obvious shown games. And Golden fucking Eye…

I know people will complain anyway but the first half of the year is already packed just from the GP Day 1 games.

Godot25

Banned
Redfall = L4D
Hellblade 2 is M.I.A
FH5 new DLC?
Microsoft FS DLC ?
Some indie shovelwear?
Sorry. But comparing Redfall to L4D is just plain stupid.
Forza is another racing game in vein of GT7 but that did not stop Sony fans creaming their pants when they saw GT7
Hellblade is just not coming out in first half of 2023 so there is no point in showing it in this particular show
FH5 DLC? I mean that game was played by 25 million players so I guess there is significant demand for that DLC
I doubt Halo Infinite Season 3 will be there. Unless they have Tatanka ready which I don't think they have
Indie shovelware? You mean like Silksong that is supposed to come out in H1 2023 and don't have release date? I'm sure people will be mad if Microsoft would show that game right? Or release date for Lies of P, right?

Just go with proper expectation. Like, nobody is bitching when Sony have State of Play that is showing multiplatform games (Resident Evil 4 Remake for example) because they prepared players for it by telling them. So expect release dates for Starfield, Forza, Minecraft Legends, maybe Starfield, sprinkle some Game Pass announcements and you have the show. Don't go there expecting Hellblade II when nobody has promised you that and then be mad at Xbox for not delivering that.

Fabieter

Maybe they dont want Starfield to steal from their other annoucements, but it wouldn't shock me if ms isnt happy with the polish of Starfield and would rather delay it further.

Godot25

Banned
Maybe they dont want Starfield to steal from their other annoucements, but it wouldn't shock me if ms isnt happy with the polish of Starfield and would rather delay it further.
Yeah. I mean. If they showed God Howard with 30 minutes demo of Starfield, you would probably forgot release dates of Forza and Redfall.
But as I said later. If Microsoft really wants separate Starfield show, at least say it during stream.

Fabieter

Yeah. I mean. If they showed God Howard with 30 minutes demo of Starfield, you would probably forgot release dates of Forza and Redfall.
But as I said later. If Microsoft really wants separate Starfield show, at least say it during stream.

Absolutely if they dont you can be sure its not coming H1.

supernova8

Banned
You rly need to stop posting complete nonsense.
Spot on about Hellblade 2 being MIA though. Come on that game was announced back in 2019 and it still seems to be nowhere near finished. Plus, to clarify, a "dev diary" of the Ninja Theory team wandering about in the Icelandic mountains basically not doing anything useful doesn't count as progress.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Spot on about Hellblade 2 being MIA though. Come on that game was announced back in 2019 and it still seems to be nowhere near finished. Plus, to clarify, a "dev diary" of the Ninja Theory wandering about in the Icelandic mountains basically not doing anything useful doesn't count as progress.

Source?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Redfall = L4D
Hellblade 2 is M.I.A
FH5 new DLC?
Microsoft FS DLC ?
Some indie shovelwear?

What a pathetic post.

Riky

$MSFT
Hellblade 2 is on UE5 like a lot of projects so it's no surprise it's not ready when the engine was only recently released fully.

clarky

Gold Member
Spot on about Hellblade 2 being MIA though. Come on that game was announced back in 2019 and it still seems to be nowhere near finished. Plus, to clarify, a "dev diary" of the Ninja Theory team wandering about in the Icelandic mountains basically not doing anything useful doesn't count as progress.
Thats not got a release window. This "direct" is about what you can play imminently. Hellblade 2 will likely be at E3. If not then yeah i'd say MIA.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Thats not got a release window. This "direct" is about what you can play imminently. Hellblade 2 will likely be at E3. If not then yeah i'd say MIA.
Yeah I guess just hope we get a proper E3 show again. I'll admit I lean toward Playstation games but I despise the fact that they have gone more toward Nintendo in doing Direct style pre-recorded stream stuff. Hell, they've basically announced everything PSVR2 related in blog posts.

I'm kinda banking on Microsoft to the be the one company (as the only truly American firm) to refuse to give up on extravagant live in-person events because it's all getting a sterile. (yes I know that went off-topic pretty quickly lol).

clarky

Gold Member
I am a Forza fan through and through but I am skeptical.
I'm not. Can't wait for the new Forza. The demo looked awesome and they've been at it for quite some time. Horizion looks nice but those games aren't for me. Give me a proper track racer that i can fuck around in and beat lap times by 0.0001 of a second.

Expecting this one to be a GASS and a platform for the foreseeable.

Kvally

Banned
I'm not. Can't wait for the new Forza. The demo looked awesome and they've been at it for quite some time. Horizion looks nice but those games aren't for me. Give me a proper track racer that i can fuck around in and beat lap times by 0.0001 of a second.

Expecting this one to be a GASS and a platform for the foreseeable.
I’m with you. I just don’t want to be let down :(

pasterpl

Redfall = L4D
Hellblade 2 is M.I.A
FH5 new DLC?
Microsoft FS DLC ?
Some indie shovelwear?
This mean that you prefer another sequel, prequel, remaster, remake, multiplayer mode sold as a separate game (factions), dlc released as stand alone game etc?

no starfield ?
I knew all along that Starfield was nowhere near done.

If it was near completion, Bethesda would have waited until AFTER it is released, to be sold to Microsoft at a higher price. Having one extra major IP would make Bethesda even more valuable. As it were it was many years off when Microsoft bought them. Ansd frankly you don't want to see what a rush job of a Bethesda game play like. Let them finish.

kuncol02

Banned
I knew all along that Starfield was nowhere near done.

If it was near completion, Bethesda would have waited until AFTER it is released, to be sold to Microsoft at a higher price. Having one extra major IP would make Bethesda even more valuable. As it were it was many years off when Microsoft bought them. Ansd frankly you don't want to see what a rush job of a Bethesda game play like. Let them finish.
the naked gun facepalm GIF

Go home. You are drunk.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Its not unreasonable to be disappointed that they havent shown more for games announced over 2 years ago.
They are having a show at the end of the month to show these games. Doesn't meant they need to show everything they at working on. That would be foolish to do in January.

DragonNCM

Sorry. But comparing Redfall to L4D is just plain stupid.
Forza is another racing game in vein of GT7 but that did not stop Sony fans creaming their pants when they saw GT7
Hellblade is just not coming out in first half of 2023 so there is no point in showing it in this particular show
FH5 DLC? I mean that game was played by 25 million players so I guess there is significant demand for that DLC
I doubt Halo Infinite Season 3 will be there. Unless they have Tatanka ready which I don't think they have
Indie shovelware? You mean like Silksong that is supposed to come out in H1 2023 and don't have release date? I'm sure people will be mad if Microsoft would show that game right? Or release date for Lies of P, right?

Just go with proper expectation. Like, nobody is bitching when Sony have State of Play that is showing multiplatform games (Resident Evil 4 Remake for example) because they prepared players for it by telling them. So expect release dates for Starfield, Forza, Minecraft Legends, maybe Starfield, sprinkle some Game Pass announcements and you have the show. Don't go there expecting Hellblade II when nobody has promised you that and then be mad at Xbox for not delivering that.
State of play is shit also.....most of the time indi games....
I'm worried about state of AAA new titles in general, no meter it is Sony or Microsoft. I'm sick of playing remakes of the same games.
Gaming is going with a very slow rate these days :messenger_angry:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm worried about state of AAA new titles in general, no meter it is Sony or Microsoft. I'm sick of playing remakes of the same games.
Gaming is going with a very slow rate these days :messenger_angry:

We just had a year with really great AAA games from Sony, From Software et al. We’re heading to a year with even more AAA titles…with every quarter heavily stacked.

Have you considered that the problem may be with you, and AAA gaming is perfectly fine?

The Alien

Banned
I'm psyched for Redfall. Looks good/fun.
Forza should be amazing as well. As always.

Though it'd be nice, not really surprised about Starfield. The past few XBox shows (and Phil's been pretty clear) have focused in games 6 months out. Since Starfield is due in November 2023, it's all but guaranteed to be a huge game for E3 (or whatever fills the E3 summer-ish void).

Kagey K

Banned
I will toss out another rumor about to get more traction in the coming weeks

Going to hear more "rumors" popping up very soon about an Xbox pro console but its being called a premium sku
Ugh I thought I was done buying consoles this gen, already have them all (2 of some.) Is it supposed to be a significant upgrade?

Last edited:

Woopah

Makes sense for them to have something soon, we need release dates for at least three games from them (if they are indeed all coming in the first half)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ugh I thought I was done buying consoles this gen, already have them all (2 of some.) Is it supposed to be a significant upgrade?
I honestly do not know why the term premium is being used but I find it interesting that Jez ran a poll asking if people would pay $999 for a pro model console if it was significantly more powerful, maybe coincidence

Same here, all in

oji-san

Banned
Can't wait, i don't need more Starfield footage tbh, from what i've seen and Bethesda history i'm going to love it, a nice surprise would be a performance mode on console.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think it is a good thing for Redfall, because AArkane is a great studio but what they've shown so far was really meh, maybbe there's a good game there but damn they failed to show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom