• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Xbox Wire] Exclusive Interview with Deathloop Game Director Dinga Bakaba

Murdok

To coincide with Deathloop's Xbox Series X and S launch, game director Dinga Bakaba has sat down with Xbox Wire to talk all things Deathloop, including the advantages of releasing on Game Pass this time around.

Deathloop is now available on Xbox, one year after its first release. How has the game evolved since its initial launch?

Since the release of the game, we have added several things. Features such as the photo mode that we worked on with the virtual photographer community, accessibility options… many fixes. We’ve also integratedcrossplay for matchmaking, which allows you to find more players, but also a new weapon, a new type of enemy, original ability upgrades, some of which are designed for multiplayer, or a brand-new power. We’ve tried to make sure that these things fit into the core of the game, for example, to get the new power you’re going to have to do something specific. Finally, we added a sort of epilogue to one of the endings. This was important to us to bring things full circle and have a more compelling emotional resolution on that particular ending. Those who have already finished the game on another platform will have new reasons to do some more looping!

What has been the feedback from players since the release of the game?

Looking back, the reception of the game was beyond our expectations. Before it was released, we thought it was going to be a very polarizing title, that people would either love it or hate it, and that all it took was a handful of people loving our creation to make us happy. In reality, many more people loved it, and said good things about it. It’s the result of decisions made along the way, sometimes risky ones, and we’re proud of that.

According to you, what makes Deathloop unique? What aspect are you particularly proud of?

Overall, I’m extremely proud of the fact that we were able to create a structure for the game that is not linear, not similar to the open worlds that we see a lot. Our structure is unique, it fits our story, our world and it was a very risky bet. I’m not convinced that this structure can be applied to any other game, because it’s intrinsically linked to its purpose, its specificities. I can imagine someone taking inspiration from it, but I don’t think we’ll see anything similar anytime soon. I’m proud of it when I look back on it, but during development it was pretty scary, because there was no template to present to the team, we had to clear our own path, which is always more intense.

Here's how Bakaba feels Arkane can benefit from launching on a service like Xbox Game Pass:

"As a developer, with the Cloud, the ability to be able to launch a game quickly, even on my phone, is very useful for me to go get a mechanic, take a screenshot or video and share it with the team. When it comes to Deathloop, my answer is going to be very simple. The reason we got into this industry was to get people to play our games. When I hear that overnight, so many players are going to be able to enjoy our game at the same time, I’m thrilled! More people means more opinions, more feedback… and it also allows us to reach certain territories where video games are less accessible because they’re very expensive; I’m thinking of Brazil, for example, where Arkane’s games have many fans. Making our game more accessible, we don’t think twice about it. It also increases the proportion of people who won’t stick to someone else’s opinion, whether it’s good or bad. I told the team many times during development that our enemy is apathy. If people try the game, whether they like it or not, that’s a win. Having one of our games in Game Pass means that we can get feedback from more and more people for a long time."

And as a gamer, what do you think of Game Pass? Have you made any amazing discoveries in the catalog recently?

I think it’s a diverse and qualitative offer, with big games as well as original proposals. For me, the main benefit is the invitation to try games that you wouldn’t necessarily have invested in. When I was younger, I didn’t always have enough money to buy games, so I used to lend them to friends, which allowed me to try out a lot of things, and with Game Pass I’m getting that feeling again. When I finally had enough money to buy my own games, I focused on the things I liked best, I stopped playing certain types of games altogether. With Game Pass, I’m rediscovering certain genres and I can also catch up on titles that I would have missed for one reason or another. As far as discoveries go, there are really plenty… I think the latest one is Power Wash Simulator. I don’t know what could have made me buy this game, even the advice of a friend, and yet it’s super fun, it’s relaxing… We have single player games, multiplayer games, very short titles that you can finish in 4 hours, others that you will finish in 150 hours… It’s really nice!

See more:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/09/23/interview-with-deathloop-game-director-dinga-bakaba/

Last edited:
Good interview, I like it that they're giving it so much exposure even if it's not a day and date launch.
Yeah and is great they did a good job taking advantage of the Xbox platform as well. I hear the rumble implementation is one of the best ever on the Xbox. It looks like there was a least one benefit to hitting PlayStation first I suppose. Hopefully more devs will take note.

Last edited:
I'm trying to get through ai somnium and Subnautica below zero before the end of the month. But death loop is my next game. Can't wait to try it out.

Last edited:

Denton

I wonder if Dinga player Forgotten City, since it does similar "unique structure" as Deathloop, only significantly better (albeit with less shooting and more talking).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wonder if Dinga player Forgotten City, since it does similar "unique structure" as Deathloop, only significantly better (albeit with less shooting and more talking).

I think there's very little overlap in those two games, they're both good in their own rights.

Pedro Motta

Not another PWS fan. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Interesting read. Good point about GP being a way to incentivize each gamer to try the game and make a decision for themselves rather than listen to the opinions of others. Removes all friction from trying it.
Also removes the will to pay for it. lol

Denton

I think there's very little overlap in those two games, they're both good in their own rights.
They are both about trying to break a time loop in a specific location. Of course they do it differently. And in my opinion, Forgotten City does it in a significantly more interesting way.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They are both about trying to break a time loop in a specific location. Of course they do it differently. And in my opinion, Forgotten City does it in a significantly more interesting way.

Yeah conceptually, FC is more unique and interesting. This is straight up a shooter with a Time hook.

pasterpl

The good thing is those games are delayed, not canceled, so we're still getting them in 2023. 2023 looks like it'll fit the '1 first party game per quarter' thing going by the scheduled timeline of games.
Forza motorsport, starield, redfall that’s more than 1 per quarter and all of these are scheduled for release in h1 2023, what’s in h2 we will find out during next “e3” event, probably will focus quite a lot on activision properties if the deals goes through but we should still 12 months roadmap as we did this year (really liked this format).

ParaSeoul

Game pass saved me 70 bucks for finding out this game wasn't for me personally.
Also on PS Plus,thanks Phil.

Stephen Colbert Shrug GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

DaGwaphics

The good thing is those games are delayed, not canceled, so we're still getting them in 2023. 2023 looks like it'll fit the '1 first party game per quarter' thing going by the scheduled timeline of games.

They certainly will have the studios in place to do it, seems like a reasonable goal IMO. The delays just scrubbed 2022 for the most part.

Stuart360

Also removes the will to pay for it. lol
Its also wroth mentioning (and it never gets mentioned in these Gamepass 'concern' threads), Gamepass is also a store front, not just a sub service. A store front with a permanent 20% discount for games.
I'm sure there are people that do also buy games on the service.
I havent myself because i dont like the Windows store, but i HAVE bought many games on Steam, after loving them on Gamepass.

pasterpl

Its also wroth mentioning (and it never gets mentioned in these Gamepass 'concern' threads), Gamepass is also a store front, not just a sub service. A store front with a permanent 20% discount for games.
I'm sure there are people that do also buy games on the service.
I havent myself because i dont like the Windows store, but i HAVE bought many games on Steam, after loving them on Gamepass.
I actually bought 5-6 games this year like this.

johnjohn

Yea, 2023 onwards they should be able to hit that 1 AAA game per quarter quite comfortably.

Last edited:
Was it Microsoft who said that or just xbox fans?
Not according to Phil Spencer, he has said "theyr will be lesser console exclusive games the coming years."

And in a blink of an eye he buys to complete publishers with masses of studio's and will put the most of does exclusive on xbox and GP. And next he sayd "whe not done bying other developers (ore publishers)".

But thats Phil. I dont understand how the heck that anyone believes anything what is coming out of his mouth...beats me🙄

Last edited:
Overall, I’m extremely proud of the fact that we were able to create a structure for the game that is not linear, not similar to the open worlds that we see a lot. Our structure is unique, it fits our story, our world and it was a very risky bet. I’m not convinced that this structure can be applied to any other game, because it’s intrinsically linked to its purpose, its specificities. I can imagine someone taking inspiration from it, but I don’t think we’ll see anything similar anytime soon. I’m proud of it when I look back on it, but during development it was pretty scary, because there was no template to present to the team, we had to clear our own path, which is always more intense...
i enjoyed deathloop, but that was only after i finally understood that, while maybe the structure itself isn't 'linear', the way to actually get to the end of the game pretty much is. it's indeed a clever game, & the director & crew deserve credit for going out there & pulling it off...

I think it’s a diverse and qualitative offer, with big games as well as original proposals. For me, the main benefit is the invitation to try games that you wouldn’t necessarily have invested in. When I was younger, I didn’t always have enough money to buy games, so I used to lend them to friends, which allowed me to try out a lot of things, and with Game Pass I’m getting that feeling again. When I finally had enough money to buy my own games, I focused on the things I liked best, I stopped playing certain types of games altogether. With Game Pass, I’m rediscovering certain genres and I can also catch up on titles that I would have missed for one reason or another. As far as discoveries go, there are really plenty… I think the latest one is Power Wash Simulator. I don’t know what could have made me buy this game, even the advice of a friend, and yet it’s super fun, it’s relaxing… We have single player games, multiplayer games, very short titles that you can finish in 4 hours, others that you will finish in 150 hours… It’s really nice!

My exact view of Game Pass. He gets it. It takes me back to my elementary, middle school/high school years.

Ozriel

M$FT
To the AAA games every quarter 😆.

That should start off in 2023. We already know at least 4 AAA games (Starfield, Forza Motorsport, Redfall, woLong, likely MLB 2023 and Ghostwire Tokyo). coming to Gamepass Day 1 in H1 2023 alone.

Not according to Phil Spencer, he has said "theyr will be lesser console exclusive games the coming years."

And in a blink of an eye he buys to complete publishers with masses of studio's and will put the most of does exclusive on xbox and GP. And next he sayd "whe not done bying other developers (ore publishers)".

But thats Phil. I dont understand how the heck that anyone believes anything what is coming out of his mouth...beats me🙄

But Phil never said that. How you folks spread this lie, then claim it’s proof Spencer is lying is baffling.

Top Bottom