• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XboxWire: How The Coalition Worked with Epic to Bring The Matrix Awakens to Life on Xbox Series X|S

Shmunter

The verbiage is of someone who invents I / O problems in XSX every time without any basis or knowledge of what is happening just because of their desire for that problem to exist. The reality is that Nanite does not need more than a sata SSD on a PC to obtain the same result in terms of streaming. And the reality is that in the article the optimization that focused the attention was mainly in relation to memory and GPU, especially for the adaptation of the XSS version.

The reality is that the loading of the world is done at the same speed (faster in XSS even) and that in PS5 also have examples of poppin and late loading of detail ... But OK, you can still believe that I / O streaming problems on XSeries ..... 😉

Oh, haha, you fooled me. You were console warring, not actually discussing the technical contents of an article. Lol, oh dear - do I have egg on my face, Carry on.

Md Ray

hlm666

Oh, haha, you fooled me. You were console warring, not actually discussing the technical contents of an article. Lol, oh dear - do I have egg on my face, Carry on.
I don't think he was honestly, the only thing I saw in the article about streaming was virtual texture streaming which is more about saving memory by only loading parts of a big texture into memory which falls inline with the xss having less memory.

Iced Arcade

Well spread the love, the more developers on board the better surely?
Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF
wut?

Darsxx82

The only one who is arguing based on a console war is you when you want to make believe what your desire is, and not what it can be.
With that said, I don't think you're the best suited to lecture here when it comes to offering sensible arguments away from console warring. 😉

Last edited:

Chukhopops

What a state to be in needing extra resources and time to deal with gimped specs. Could have dedicated all that to the XsX making it even better.
Alexa, define « irony »

Also don’t you have already multiple console war bans?

Riky

$MSFT
Alexa, define « irony »

Also don’t you have already multiple console war bans?

Looks like the mods are deleting some of his rubbish thankfully.

On topic after the Alpha Point demo The Coalition said they were working with Epic to include VRS in the proper release of UE5, I haven't seen any of the analysis mention any form of this so there should be more performance to come when this arrives.

Shmunter

Haha, let the pile on commence - like a beautiful synchronised dance. Facts, what facts? 2 + 2 = 5 because it feels better.

When more detailed tech info on all this eventually surfaces, the contrarians will be at least well prepared.

Last edited:
1 game out of 6 (7 if you consider Hivebusters). We need more of it because as you’ve said, Gears Tactics is an excellent game.
I would kill for a properly done RTS. Locust and Gears both have vehicle units/sieges and a bunch of drones , heavy types, bombers etc... it would pretty well if done right.

Darsxx82

Haha, let the pile on commence - like a beautiful synchronised dance. Facts, what facts? 2 + 2 = 5 because it feels better.

When more detailed tech info on all this eventually surfaces, the contrarians will be at least well prepared.
It has already come out, and ....
Michal Valient, Director of Platform and Rendering Engineering explains: "The bottleneck, the hitches you see... it's not the I/O, the I/O on the machines is really good. We still have some kinks to work out in the way we initialise data. So actually, yeah, it's work for us to do."

Since the first debut of the Lumen in the Land of Nanite demo, there has been the perception that the mass bandwidth of the SSD in PlayStation 5 is what makes the Nanite system possible. However, the whole point of the virtualised texturing system used by Nanite is that it's actually very lightweight in bandwidth - the only detail streamed in is that which is required onscreen at any given point. "This distinguishes it from traditional engines... [with Nanite] it's very gradual," says Michal Valient. "As you move around, it hovers at like 10MB per frame, because we stream bits of textures, bits of Nanite data... we stream textures or small tiles as you need them. As you render them, Nanite picks the actual little clusters of triangles you need to render that particular view. And we stream just that, so we don't over-stream too much. And that actually allows it to be really swift when it comes to just I/O and that throughput."
If in the previous demos only needed a "normal" sata SSD to move nanite with the same results, in this one it is still more of the same from what they say.

As was clear in the Xbox Wire article, TC focused its work on the optimitation-port of the XSeries versions and optimizations related to GPu (PS5 has also benefited from TC work) and memory usage mainly for XSS.

Last edited:

Shmunter

It has already come out, I hope you have prepared yourself ....
I saw that, 10mb/frame would be equivalent to 600meg/s for e.g. 60fps which is max SATA 3 coincidently.

It still stands PS5 being unique on delivering all that immediately from SSD to memory without any system load unlike any other hardware out there at the moment. That's sizable data a CPU still needs to deal with and nothing like this has been seen on last gen previously in regards to i/o & engine dependency.

Solutions still need to be delivered on Xbox vs out of the box hardware doing this on PS5. Nothing has changed here whatsoever.

I saw that, 10mb/frame would be equivalent to 600meg/s for e.g. 60fps which is max SATA 3 coincidently.

It still stands PS5 being unique on delivering all that immediately from SSD to memory without any system load unlike any other hardware out there at the moment. That's sizable data a CPU still needs to deal with and nothing like this has been seen on last gen previously in regards to i/o & engine dependency.

Solutions still need to be delivered on Xbox vs out of the box hardware doing this on PS5. Nothing has changed here whatsoever.
A grown man would admit that he fell for Sweeney's marketing BS and move on.

RespawnX

It has already come out, and ....

If in the previous demos only needed a "normal" sata SSD to move nanite with the same results, in this one it is still more of the same from what they say.

As was clear in the Xbox Wire article, TC focused its work on the optimitation-port of the XSeries versions and optimizations related to GPu (PS5 has also benefited from TC work) and memory usage mainly for XSS.
tl;dr: consoles are as fast as they are and not faster. Period.

It‘s a matter of technology feature set and processing power.

Both I/O complexes are oversized as you calculated and the data aligns to past information we got regarding nanite.

Xbox Series is „out of the box hardware“. Features similar hardware decompression as PS5. Bottleneck was PC until release of DirectStorage API. A year after console releases its only a matter of install base. Performance impact on PC is negligible nowadays thanks to the API. They aren’t simply engines for it. It’s fucking expensive to develop them.

You want that tech quality picture in games? You want it in 4k? Wait for midgen refresh or PlayStation 6.

Until we get proper capable hardware, studios will help themselves out with artistic compensation and a lot of „tricks“ as in HZD: Forbidden West.

Last edited:

Shmunter

tl;dr: consoles are as fast as they are and not faster. Period.

It‘s a matter of technology feature set and processing power.

Both I/O complexes are oversized as you calculated and the data aligns to past information we got regarding nanite.

Xbox Series is „out of the box hardware“. Features similar hardware decompression as PS5. Bottleneck was PC until release of DirectStorage API. A year after console releases its only a matter of install base. Performance impact on PC is negligible nowadays thanks to the API. They aren’t simply engines for it. It’s fucking expensive to develop them.

You want that tech quality picture in games? You want it in 4k? Wait for midgen refresh or PlayStation 6.

Until we get proper capable hardware, studios will help themselves out with artistic compensation and a lot of „tricks“ as in HZD: Forbidden West.
Hardware decompression is good, but it's not the entirety of what comprises the differences in i/o

Darsxx82

Nice publicity for potential future capabilities (think about this level of the 60fps demo when it's far from a stable 30fps .... 🤔) of the PS5 SSD i/o.... But of course that was not the subject of the discussion, but the confirmation that what you were saying (more out of desire than anything else) of some supposed I / O deficiencies in Xseries to move this specific Matrix demo and that required the TC help that focused its work on solving this aspect. Well, nothing further.

It is clear that it was not the declaration and information that you expected. If it were, you would have posted it here and, unlike you, I would have accepted my mistake and certainly not try to distract by changing the meaning of the discussion😉

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah, there is still a lot of marketing bullshit in the soup. Put it aside and both consoles are cooking with water.
PC manufacturers are taking it seriously. RTX i/o for example. https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

"Leveraging the advanced architecture of our new GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards, we’ve created NVIDIA RTX IO, a suite of technologies that enable rapid GPU-based loading and game asset decompression, accelerating I/O performance by up to 100x compared to hard drives and traditional storage APIs. When used with Microsoft’s new DirectStorage for Windows API, RTX IO offloads dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to your GeForce RTX GPU, improving frame rates, enabling near-instantaneous game loading, and opening the door to a new era of large, incredibly detailed open world games"

Shmunter

Nice publicity for potential future capabilities (think about this level of the 60fps demo when it's far from a stable 30fps .... 🤔) of the PS5 SSD .... But of course that was not the subject of the discussion, but the confirmation that what you were saying (more out of desire than anything else) of some supposed I / O deficiencies in Xseries to move this specific Matrix demo and that required the TC help that focused its work on solving this aspect. Well, nothing further.

It is clear that it was not the declaration and information that you expected. If it were, you would have posted it here and, unlike you, I would have accepted my mistake and certainly not try to distract by changing the meaning of the discussion😉
Still going on about this? The article clearly addressed "streaming" as an optimization goal. What are you implying "streaming" means in the context of a game engine?!?!? A good stream of urine?!?

Darsxx82

Still going on about this? The article clearly addressed "streaming" as an optimization goal. What are you implying "streaming" means in the context of a game engine?!?!? A good stream of urine?!?
LOl..... are you serious?. You asked for confirmation of data and now that you have them and they prove that nothing you said has logic, you insist on exposing yourself like this?

Ok ok 😂. bye

RespawnX

PC manufacturers are taking it seriously. RTX i/o for example. https://www.nvidia.com/en-au/geforce/news/rtx-io-gpu-accelerated-storage-technology/

"Leveraging the advanced architecture of our new GeForce RTX 30 Series graphics cards, we’ve created NVIDIA RTX IO, a suite of technologies that enable rapid GPU-based loading and game asset decompression, accelerating I/O performance by up to 100x compared to hard drives and traditional storage APIs. When used with Microsoft’s new DirectStorage for Windows API, RTX IO offloads dozens of CPU cores’ worth of work to your GeForce RTX GPU, improving frame rates, enabling near-instantaneous game loading, and opening the door to a new era of large, incredibly detailed open world games"
Problem remains the install base on one side. Which won’t get better soon. On the other side we are still lacking engines as mentioned before. But why should they hurry up with them? Console install base is limited, PC even more. Chip crisis brought us to an chicken egg situation regarding technology advance in games. Corona keeps striking development roadmaps and resources. Will take a while to get somewhere …

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Deniers of the existence of PS5's i/o solution should be classed no different to the 9tf advocates - because you know - it's "delusional" to deny facts - to use your word.
I don't think anybody denies the i/o speed advantage, that's where Sony spent there money, it's obviously not really a factor in this engine or demo as they say.
People who deny facts like Tier 2 VRS, SFS and Mesh Shaders are the ones you should be worried about.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
After trying
Wow, that's so cool. I'm flattered they read my post and working on a new IP. Looking forward to playing it!

I mean after trying to play through Gears of War 5 I can say I would be more than happy with them going off to make a new IP, because it was very apparent they had no wish to make a Gears of War game...

Md Ray

After trying

I mean after trying to play through Gears of War 5 I can say I would be more than happy with them going off to make a new IP, because it was very apparent they had no wish to make a Gears of War game...
Exactly, I got the same impression when playing through Gears 5, I still enjoyed the game though.

Leyasu

Banned
The verbiage is of someone who invents I / O problems in XSX every time without any basis or knowledge of what is happening just because of their desire for that problem to exist. The reality is that Nanite does not need more than a sata SSD on a PC to obtain the same result in terms of streaming. And the reality is that in the article the optimization that focused the attention was mainly in relation to memory and GPU, especially for the adaptation of the XSS version.

The reality is that the loading of the world is done at the same speed (faster in XSS even) and that in PS5 also have examples of poppin and late loading of detail ... But OK, you can still believe that I / O streaming problems on XSeries ..... 😉

Why are you wasting your time trying to debate with that clown. How the fuck his trolling flys under the radar is beyond comprehension

Top Bottom