• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xcloud is coming to Samsung TVs (June 30th)

Ozriel

M$FT
Google with all it's money can't make stadia happen but MS will succeed? Sure Jan.

i mean, if you don’t know that the biggest difference between the outlook for Stadia and XCloud is the game library, I’m not sure why anyone should take your opinions in this matter seriously.

What logic? Streaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Long term, Streaming will allow many to avoid the up front cost of a console.

What fantasy land do you live in where everyone can shell out $299+ for a console? Or even in countries like Brazil where console prices are crazy. How is that up front cost not a problem that exists?

Also, being able to play your console games on the go is a significant benefit. So Streaming can be used as a complementary feature to having a console at home.

Try to inject more creativity and imagination into your thought process.

Schmick

What logic? Streaming is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
Well for me, I can play PlayStation games without a console. The only thing I did buy was a DS4 controller. I've played through most of the Unchartered games, completed TLoU 1 and 2 and currently trying to get through GoW1 (time permitting).

And not only that... my aging (original) Xbox One can now play next gen games or the Series version of cross gen games.

And it doesn't stop there either. I use xCloud on my PC too because that is also aging. Believe it or not but the Series version has graphical and loading time advantages over my PC. I load up FH5 on xCloud just because I prefer the load times.

Streaming works damn well for me too.

I simply don't have the money right now to upgrade my Xbox, buy a Playstation and upgrade my PC.

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
A usb dongle is in the works for gamepass. I also read that though they're releasing first with Samsung (as samsung has long had a partnership with MS), MS has already said the app will be coming to other TVs as well. I think within a couple of years you'll be able to get Gamepass on most TVs. I'm guessing even the Sony TVs via the dongle. I'm sure there's some minimum hardware requirement for the TVs.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
A usb dongle is in the works for gamepass. I also read that though they're releasing first with Samsung (as samsung has long had a partnership with MS), MS has already said the app will be coming to other TVs as well. I think within a couple of years you'll be able to get Gamepass on most TVs. I'm guessing even the Sony TVs via the dongle. I'm sure there's some minimum hardware requirement for the TVs.
Future smart TVs will have Xcloud, GFN, Stadia, Luna, and maybe a sort of PS 6Now.(i doubt they bought Gaikai to let Microsoft dominate the cloud without fight back... I think they'll also have f2p games like everyone else).

Smart TVs will be a tomorrow Battlefield.

Imagine TVs with integrated AAA library : Fortnite, PUBG, LOL, F2P PES, Genshin Impact...

Should be huge for most people.

Pretty badass honestly as a backup option for people.

I was playing pac man museum yesterday on my phone through the cloud. Worked completely fine, and that game is very dependent on control accuracy.

PS5 $500
Xbox Series X $500
Xbox Series S $300
XCloud Free

I could see a whole generation of kids growing up playing like this, especially during a recession and global chip shortage. Then fast forward 12 years and it's just normal for everyone.

It's not really "free" though; you still need to buy a TV or have a mobile phone. And you still need to pay for the internet connection as well.

The reason it might be perceived as "free" is because that's relative to the cost for the devices & utilities you need to actually access it.

That has nothing to do with gigabit…. 🤦🏻

I called this years ago on here and people didn’t believe me.

Buy a Xbox controller for $40 bucks and away you go with every latest title. No, us and the hard cores won’t love it. Will kids today notice or give a shit as long as they can play the latest title? Not in the slightest. Will parents give a shit when they can just buy a family gamepass account and let every kid play instead of spending thousands on consoles?

Just imagine, as a kid, when you had to pick your one megadrive or NES game for the year for your birthday for $110.

Or someone came along and said you can play any new Megadrive game for an entire year for the same price, any time, and hundreds of other games
🤯 But mummmm the latancyyyy

Or you could've just gone to a Blockbuster and rented 20 games for that price, play and probably beat most of them in the rental period. Not to mention for games that were arcade ports you'd just of gone to the arcade to play them if you wanted. Even if you sucked you'd only spend like $5 quarter-feeding, get a full playthrough, move on to the next game.

GamePass is a neat service but it's always had equivalents in the past. Even GameFly is something of an equivalent and that's been around for over a decade.

A small video of the app

Yeah that's looking pretty good tbh.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

Future smart TVs will have Xcloud, GFN, Stadia, Luna, and maybe a sort of PS 6Now.(i doubt they bought Gaikai to let Microsoft dominate the cloud without fight back... I think they'll also have f2p games like everyone else).

Smart TVs will be a tomorrow Battlefield.

Imagine TVs with integrated AAA library : Fortnite, PUBG, LOL, F2P PES, Genshin Impact...

Should be huge for most people.

Sony bought Gaikai, and they did nothing with it. They let Microsoft overtake them.

twilo99

Any 2022 Sony TV has the processing power to run a chromium browser... The issue would be political

Fat Frog

Sony bought Gaikai, and they did nothing with it. They let Microsoft overtake them.
Gaikai gave birth to PS Now and Sony upgraded the blades a few months before Microsoft so i wouldn't say they did nothing...

Microsoft is more agressive with the cloud lately though.

Kuranghi

Awww yes Samsung TVs have the best operating system and they always support apps for years to come!

:messenger_smirking:

Tizen is a pile of wank, somehow they managed to even out shittify LG WebOS 22 this year. LGs WebOS was great until 2021 when they fucked it up, but Tizen was always double-poo and now its triple-poo. The new Tizen has a fucking NFT store front and centre 😆.

Fat Frog

Samsung and TV makers start to promoting hard cloud services like GFN, Xcloud and Stadia...

Fat Frog

Isn't it just cheaper to buy and xbox im sure the tv isnt cheap.
It's not the right question.
Once you bought your TV, then the question is: Should i buy a console or try this new stuff called cloud gaming...

Many gamers will keep their console.
Some others will play both.
Many casual will switch to cloud IF it works well enough for them.

To answer your question: cloud gaming is the cheapest way of gaming. (Unless you don't pay for internet and live in the middle of Alaska with your OG gameboy)

Fat Frog

Ok, Xbox team, Xcloud on Samsung TVs is awesome. Now don't be Xbots and open your mind to your new options. 👻

Everybody knows on GAF i'm the pope of cloud gaming (i'm proud of it actually 😎) but that doesn't mean i hate consoles:

I advocated for Xbox Series S on many threads.
"Blabla Series S internal storage is too limited, you'll have to buy an expensive hard drive".

That's true...but cloud gaming is here to save your ass 🥳:

With your Series S you have access to a la carte gaming with GFN and Stadia:

Buy Witcher 3/Cyber punk on Steam/GFN, RDR2, Fifa 22 next gen on Stadia and you'll save 75% of your storage.(you'll even have 60FPS on RDR2, not on Series X and Fifa 22 is old gen on PC...)

When you visit friends in big cities, just bring a controller and play with them via cloud gaming. When you visit your grand parents in the middle of nowhere, bring you're Series S loaded with light arcade or action games.

Series S X Cloud gaming

Last edited:

elliot5

Any plans for a native Android TV app to be made available?
Of course. It may take a while depending on how long Samsungs partnership is or if they needs certain android tv models to come out with specific hardware idk. Can you sideload the android app onto it now

Fat Frog

For now, Xcloud, GFN are limited to 1080p on Smart TVs (i believe it's 4K for Stadia but not a top notch 4K like PC or Series X).

When all TV makers will propose in house AI 4K upscaling on their Smart TVs (like Nvidia Shield Pro), it will be a game changer.
IQ on cloud services is still a major flaw for many gamers.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Tons of folks similarly enthused about game streaming via GeForce Now and Stadia.

Put down the console warrior hat for once
What does this have to do with console warring? You're clearly overly sensitive here. Nobody is playing stadia either. Nvidia seems to have a lot of people who have TRIED it. Very few people are enthused about this and the only ones that do seem to push it are all in one camp.

Fat Frog

What does this have to do with console warring? You're clearly overly sensitive here. Nobody is playing stadia either. Nvidia seems to have a lot of people who have TRIED it. Very few people are enthused about this and the only ones that do seem to push it are all in one camp.
You're both right.
Many people saying the "future is now" are xbox fans (but not all of them) and weren't aware Google and Nividia did the same, on more TVs...

Xcloud
The best games.

GFN 3080
The best tech.

Free GFN
The biggest amount of games, of F2P.

Stadia
The second best tech (GFN3080 > Stadia > Free GFN > PS NOW > Xcloud), the most convenient and instant cloud service.

If you want to take zero risk playing cloud gaming, the answer is free GFN with a ton of F2P, no sub and games from your steam/EGS/GOG library.

If you already have a Xbox sub like GP then switch to GPU you'll have many advantages for testing quickly games (no DL) and soon your own library playable in the cloud.

If you live in the US, Luna seems great with cheap sub, many great games, good tech. More than the Netflix of Gaming (netflix is expensive) yeah, it's more like prime video...(no shit, it's amazon) Cheaper and efficient.

Like Luna, Stadia is well balanced and great if you hate sub and prefere a la carte gaming. It has less games than GFN but it's more convenient (less random login), with a more balanced library (more Sega and Capcom japanese stuffs).

F2P
Xcloud did great with Fortnite but that's it.
Free GFN has more F2P so as Free Stadia with less random login...

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Nobody is playing stadia either. Nvidia seems to have a lot of people who have TRIED it.
Indeed, GFN or Xcloud have many users on the paper. Nonetheless these are raw datas... (we don't know how many use the free tier and are just a cost for Nvidia...)
Cloud gaming is still very niche since Google doesn't communicate that much on Stadia, same for GFN (they let some PC gamers do the job for them) and Microsoft is only using twitter or free communication.

Yeah, Stadia community seems tiny if you compare it to Xcloud, for instance.
(it's not tied to a popular ecosystem like Xbox, or compatible with a reference like Steam) but as a primary game system, Stadia has the most enthusiast fan base among the cloud services:
The only remaining cloud OT on resetera is Stadia OT with 450k views...

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Today, we’re excited to celebrate the launch of the Xbox App on Samsung 2022 Smart TVs, enabling you to play hundreds of cloud-enabled Xbox Game Pass games like Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, and Microsoft Flight Simulator without a console.

Starting today in 27 countries, you can turn on your Samsung 2022 Smart TV, navigate to the Xbox App in the new Samsung Gaming Hub or Media Hub, connect your Bluetooth controller, and play. It’s as simple as using any other streaming app on your TV.

Here’s what you need to know to get started:

Getting Ready

Playing Xbox games on 2022 Samsung Smart TVs is a seamless experience. To make sure you’re ready to game, here’s what you’ll need:

• To access the Xbox app, you’ll need one of Samsung’s 2022 Smart TVs.
  • To play the hundreds of cloud-enabled games in the Game Pass library, you’ll need an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership.
  • If you don’t have a membership and want to try the experience for yourself before you sign up, you can play Fortnite for free without an Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership.
  • Almost any Bluetooth-enabled controller will work with the Xbox app, like the Xbox Wireless Controller, Xbox Adaptive Controller, Elite Series 2 Controller, or the DualSense controller.

How to Access the Xbox App

There are two ways you can access the Xbox app on a 2022 Samsung Smart TV depending on where you’re located.

• In some countries you can access the Xbox app through Samsung’s new Gaming Hub. Simply navigate to the Gaming Hub via the user interface, launch the Xbox app, and you’re ready to go!
  • Otherwise you can navigate to the Samsung App store from the Samsung Media Hub, search for “Xbox” to download the app onto your TV, and launch it to begin playing.

Last edited:

danklord

Gold Member
Gamepass and GFN are an instant-wow factor on the TV but the streaming quality is 1080p max, so personally, the viability isn't there. If you have this TV, you likely have high-end hardware.

They could increase the quality by having the stream be at 1080p while increasing the render scale locally on Xbox/PC servers. I have games set to 200 render resolution when streaming to the steam deck and it's a huge difference.

There's no doubt that cloud access is the future, but many more factors beyond access contribute to a good gaming experience, let alone a good mobile experience. Personally, I don't like touch controls, but I imagine that's a game changer for smart-device native kids.

I wonder if, in the future, similar to performance/resolution, we'll get a streamlined "cloud" setting with increased font size and other QOL improvements.

Cloud also needs the ability to save state.

Fat Frog

Gamepass and GFN are an instant-wow factor on the TV but the streaming quality is 1080p max, so personally, the viability isn't there. If you have this TV, you likely have high-end hardware.
Xcloud and GFN remain interesting since even the upper class doesn't necessarly buy all the most expensive devices on the market, especially if they're are not gaming enthusiasts. (Let's say "Fifa/Call of" basic players...).
https://9to5google.com/2022/06/30/samsung-tv-stadia-geforce-now/
As for 1080p limitations, it's worth noting Samsung didn't bottleneck anything: 😍😍😍Stadia😍😍😍 Pro runs at 4K on it. It's up to Nvidia and Microsoft to find a way, a new offer or an agreement with Samsung to propose 4K... Some people said with the arrival of Xcloud that Google had no chance, no advantage... It proves all have their own strenght 😇

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Xcloud and GFN remain interesting since even the upper class doesn't necessarly buy all the most expensive devices on the market, especially if they're are not gaming enthusiasts. (Let's say "Fifa/Call of" basic players...).
https://9to5google.com/2022/06/30/samsung-tv-stadia-geforce-now/
As for 1080p limitations, it's worth noting Samsung didn't bottleneck anything: 😍😍😍Stadia😍😍😍 Pro runs at 4K on it. It's up to Nvidia and Microsoft to find a way, a new offer or an agreement with Samsung to propose 4K... Some people said with the arrival of Xcloud that Google had no chance, no advantage... It proves all have their own strenght 😇

Google's 4k strength, is one advantage. The problem is there disadvantages are more of the more important things.

Last edited:

Three

Google's 4k strength, is one advantage. The problem is there disadvantages are more of the more important things.
Like what? Google has the lowest latency too but nobody cares about this. They don't have the marketing and word of mouth though or the MS exclusives but lets be honest neither does MS.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Like what? Google has the lowest latency too but nobody cares about this. They don't have the marketing and word of mouth though or the MS exclusives but lets be honest neither does MS.
er... Uncertainty in its store, we don't know how much longer it will be open. Lack of exclusives, lack of value (sub services).

Fat Frog

er... Uncertainty in its store, we don't know how much longer it will be open. Lack of exclusives, lack of value (sub services).
I agree uncertainty remains the main problem but we'll know soon enough with the LATAM launch.(if it fails again, well, farewell my friend...😁) but if it takes off, it's hard to believe it will close.(internet is getting better and better everywhere)

Lack of value ? Well, depends of your expectations... Indeed, there are more games on Xcloud/Gamepass but as you can see, it's limited at 1080P on Samsung Hub and games remain in your library as long as you sub.(they don't come and leave, early adopters will have 200 free games in their library in 2023...)

As for free tier, here's the most impressive for me :

Here we go, that fucking frog will bring RDR2 into the conversation again, again, and again. 😜

Of course... It's a game of the gen... Non playable on other cloud services right now.
60 FPS on Stadia, 30FPS on PS5/Series X and the only one at 4K on Samsung Hub.

Same for AAA like Cyberpunk. It's not on Xcloud, available on GFN but only at 1080p on Samsung Hub...

I don't say Stadia is better than the other services, but there is value for sure...

danklord

Gold Member
I agree uncertainty remains the main problem but we'll know soon enough with the LATAM launch.(if it fails again, well, farewell my friend...😁) but if it takes off, it's hard to believe it will close.(internet is getting better and better everywhere)

Lack of value ? Well, depends of your expectations... Indeed, there are more games on Xcloud/Gamepass but as you can see, it's limited at 1080P on Samsung Hub and games remain in your library as long as you sub.(they don't come and leave, early adopters will have 200 free games in their library in 2023...)

As for free tier, here's the most impressive for me :

Here we go, that fucking frog will bring RDR2 into the conversation again, again, and again. 😜

Of course... It's a game of the gen... Non playable on other cloud services right now.
60 FPS on Stadia, 30FPS on PS5/Series X and the only one at 4K on Samsung Hub.

Same for AAA like Cyberpunk. It's not on Xcloud, available on GFN but only at 1080p on Samsung Hub...

I don't say Stadia is better than the other services, but there is value for sure...

I'm going to give Stadia a spin on the TV tonight. I think your points are totally valid. We're just in the very beginning.

The two competing factors are quality (latency, fidelity) and access (time, environment, bandwidth). Both will continually get better as time progresses.

Cloud is going to come alive later this gen when, for the majority of gamers, games run smoother and at a higher on Cloud (quality + access). The Cyberpunk launch could be observed as a precursor.

Fat Frog

I'm going to give Stadia a spin on the TV tonight. I think your points are totally valid. We're just in the very beginning.

The two competing factors are quality (latency, fidelity) and access (time, environment, bandwidth). Both will continually get better as time progresses.

Cloud is going to come alive later this gen when, for the majority of gamers, games run smoother and at a higher on Cloud (quality + access). The Cyberpunk launch could be observed as a precursor.
You can try 130 demos and a bunch of F2P like Destiny 2, Bomberman, Hitman. (limited to 1080p if you don't test the 1 month free trial)
https://stadia.google.com/store/list/47

Yeah, i think Stadia still has solid arguments like the 2d best latency (after the ultra premium GFN3080 tier), the best convenience (no random logins).

Indeed, it needs time and the first next gen only games are coming: Skull and bones (ok this one doesn't seem fantastic but won't be available on PS4), Fifa 23...

Analysts said that many gamers will adopt cloud after 3 to 5 years of rejection. We'll enter the 3rd year of Stadia and Xcloud was magnificent trojan horse for cloud:

"Fuck cloud gaming"... "play my game during the download ? " *click* "holy shit, it works very well" "ok, i'll have fiber next month, let's try GFN and Stadia as well". 😇

jigglet

Banned
Is this one of those BS *US Only sort of things?

I have a new 2022 model Samsung that I bought in July and updated it but see nothing about Xcloud?

Fat Frog

Is this one of those BS *US Only sort of things?

I have a new 2022 model Samsung that I bought in July and updated it but see nothing about Xcloud?
You don't see an option called "samsung gaming hub" ?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Alright I just tried this.

I have a 2022 model "The Frame", and trying to navigate around the Xbox app is so sluggish. I'm talking about one click registering every 10 seconds, no exaggeration. A reboot didn't help. This shit is utterly unusable.

(granted, navigating around any Samsung OS is sluggish anyway, there's always at least a half second delay between clicks, but this takes it to a new level)

I really wanted this to work so my gf could play some XB games she's been nagging me about without me having to buy a proper console. But this shit is outright JUNK. Why do these companies complain about competitors coming in and eating their lunch when they put in the bare minium to make their shit usable. I paid $3k for this TV and it's worse than a $50 Chromecast dongle. Fuck "smart" TV's. I'll stick with Chromecast / Apple TV / actual consoles thanks. Incompetence.

If MS wants this to succeed, they have to force their partners to agree to a minimum standard. This is a poor ass showing of their tech.

Last edited:

Fahdis

For now, Xcloud, GFN are limited to 1080p on Smart TVs (i believe it's 4K for Stadia but not a top notch 4K like PC or Series X).

When all TV makers will propose in house AI 4K upscaling on their Smart TVs (like Nvidia Shield Pro), it will be a game changer.
IQ on cloud services is still a major flaw for many gamers.

Brother GFN has 4K/60 on PC now. 2K/120 as well if your TV or Monitor has the resolution for the 3080 Tier. Also, you don't need the Pro version of the shield. I guess this makes me the Cloud King now.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I guess this makes me the Cloud King now.
CONAN.jpg
⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️My king...⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️⚔️

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Alright I just tried this.

I have a 2022 model "The Frame", and trying to navigate around the Xbox app is so sluggish. I'm talking about one click registering every 10 seconds, no exaggeration. A reboot didn't help. This shit is utterly unusable.

(granted, navigating around any Samsung OS is sluggish anyway, there's always at least a half second delay between clicks, but this takes it to a new level)

I really wanted this to work so my gf could play some XB games she's been nagging me about without me having to buy a proper console. But this shit is outright JUNK. Why do these companies complain about competitors coming in and eating their lunch when they put in the bare minium to make their shit usable. I paid $3k for this TV and it's worse than a $50 Chromecast dongle. Fuck "smart" TV's. I'll stick with Chromecast / Apple TV / actual consoles thanks. Incompetence.

If MS wants this to succeed, they have to force their partners to agree to a minimum standard. This is a poor ass showing of their tech.
Massive shame.

Not sure why MS are entering an agreement with Samsung. This needs to be on every Smart TV from the last 5 or so years if they want it to become mainstream, alongside Fire Sticks and Rokus and Apple TV’s etc

Fat Frog

Top Bottom