• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xcloud: M&k support, less latency, 1440p resolution. Coming very soon

Is 1440p better than just providing 1080p with better compression? Compression is really what is spoiling the experience for me, I was enjoying Flight Simulator on xCloud but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should based on screenshots I've seen. It's evident with the clouds for example, they were impressive running it natively on my old ass PC but playing over the cloud running from a Series X (I think) they don't impress at all anymore.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Is 1440p better than just providing 1080p with better compression? Compression is really what is spoiling the experience for me, I was enjoying Flight Simulator on xCloud but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should based on screenshots I've seen.
No clue but stadia kills it at 4k, don't see why 1440p can't work well

They also really need a Xbox wifi controller

Last edited:
No clue but stadia kills it at 4k, don't see why 1440p can't work well

They also really need a Xbox wifi controller
I think higher resolution usually will come with much better bitrate so it should be much better in theory. I wonder what is stopping them from offering 4K already? They went with Series X blades instead of Series S so 4K would make a lot more sense to me.

Last edited:

reksveks

Is 1440p better than just providing 1080p with better compression? Compression is really what is spoiling the experience for me, I was enjoying Flight Simulator on xCloud but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should based on screenshots I've seen.
The 1440p thing is a bit of misreading of the video.

Currently you have a dumb setup where the game and server still things you are delivering to a 4k TV. The plan is to remove that stupidity and then allow devs to determine what display resolutions that they want to render. At the moment, the limit is sdr 1440p.

XP24Ogq.jpg

tGzQRb1.jpg

DJ3og2t.jpg

Q6tn3LX.jpg

Benefit is that the dev can drop the resolution to improve latency. There is also some funky stuff around actually changing the aspect ratio.

jorgejjvr

I think higher resolution usually will come with much better bitrate so it should be much better in theory. I wonder what is stopping them from offering 4K already? They went with Series X blades instead of Series S so 4K would make a lot more sense to me.
Cost maybe? You do have a monthly charge JUST for 4k

But yeah, till this day stadia kills it at 4k and latency, hopefully Ms gets there

Chukhopops

If they make it work and I can play 4X games at 1440p with low latency I’ll never need to upgrade my PC again.

(As long as XCloud is finally supported in my country)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They're also introducing a clarity boost on Edge browsers, which looks like an upscaling + sharpening thing. Nothing that mind blowing, but for streaming the comparison picture makes the image clearer for sure. They're making some good improvements on the Cloud front.

a55a5930-f2ef-11ec-bc7f-7ddf577e8001.cf.webp

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They're also introducing a clarity boost on Edge browsers, which looks like an upscaling + sharpening thing. Nothing that mind blowing, but for streaming the comparison picture makes the image clearer for sure. They're making some good improvements on the Cloud front.

a55a5930-f2ef-11ec-bc7f-7ddf577e8001.cf.webp
Hey Alex, is this just a "sharpening filter"?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I tried game cloud with a 200 Mbit wired connectikn.

I got some weird TV lines and graphical glitches using it.

12Dannu123

They're moving along quite quickly. Xbox cloud gaming should be on the same level as the Console platforms in terms of priority, especially now that it will have the option to stream your game library.

Hopefully Sony improves their cloud gaming service, right now they're very behind and risk being left out in the cold.

Doesn't the speed of your ISP also affect game streaming? Right now, the highest in USA is 1Gbps right? Even though you have Wi-Fi 6E routers that can go up to 10Gbps

RaZoR No1

xCloud latency will always be worse than Stadia / Geforce Now, because the games run on XSX Blades/consoles, which already have worse latency compared to PC.
Wasnt there even a comparision between them all and sometimes Stadia/ Geforce Now had better latency than even playing natively on console?

Edit:

It was posted in this thread
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/digi...w-rtx-3080-cloud-vs-xcloud-vs-stadia.1628150/

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Good news for cloud.
(Since it's the lowest tech, Xcloud was giving a bad image of cloud gaming...)
Great to see Microsoft is taking gamers's feedbacks seriously 👍🏽

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Good shit. That should put it into the same range for input latency as GeForce Now and Stadia, which is about as good or a little better than native console play at 60fps.

Screen caps courtesy of A.Romero from the thread linked above...
Some captures:

Latency tested on 60 and 120 hz (120 only supported on Crucible):

oojzOuC.png

Outriders comparison at 60 hz:

DO3uhY2.png

K' Dash

when are they going to introduce this to LATAM?, there are millions of people that can’t afford the hardware but would gladly pay to play streaming on their phone or laptop.

Beechos

For me xcloud/psnow have gotten to a point where i cant even tell if its streaming or running native for games in the xbox 360/ps3 era and below via local wifi. Im just waiting for xcloud to allow me to stream my whole xbox gaming library outside of my home network and better celluar mobile performance.

Last edited:

Banned
what I find interesting is that they are talking about arbitrary resolution support. I wonder if they will also support that on console, since there's no real reason not to right? after all these games run on Series X hardware and on the Series X OS.

with that games could finally support 21:9 or 16:10 resolutions.

also as an alternative they advise devs to expose PC resolution settings, which I would also be all for!

DavidGzz

Streaming future looking bright. Most people won't bother buying native hardware because of potential 30 ms less latency that they wouldn't notice anyway.

Yep! Do you know what has more latency than streaming? Going from a monitor to a television with mouse gaming. I notice that WAY more than I notice any latency with GE Force Now. I don't notice it at all. If Xcloud can compare to GE Force Now and have a good resolution, it will be amazing.

MScarpa

Is 1440p better than just providing 1080p with better compression? Compression is really what is spoiling the experience for me, I was enjoying Flight Simulator on xCloud but it just doesn't look anywhere near as good as it should based on screenshots I've seen. It's evident with the clouds for example, they were impressive running it natively on my old ass PC but playing over the cloud running from a Series X (I think) they don't impress at all anymore.
Yes it is to answer your question. And what is your Gamertag, I'd love to add you.

reksveks

what I find interesting is that they are talking about arbitrary resolution support. I wonder if they will also support that on console, since there's no real reason not to right? after all these games run on Series X hardware and on the Series X OS.

with that games could finally support 21:9 or 16:10 resolutions.

also as an alternative they advise devs to expose PC resolution settings, which I would also be all for!
I was wondering the same thing after watching the video. It does feel weird to allow devs to change the display resolution for xcloud but not for console users if they are using roughly the same hardware.

Especially for something like remote play, that would be useful to get ride of the black bars on my phone.

DavidGzz

xCloud latency will always be worse than Stadia / Geforce Now, because the games run on XSX Blades/consoles, which already have worse latency compared to PC.
Wasnt there even a comparision between them all and sometimes Stadia/ Geforce Now had better latency than even playing natively on console?

Edit:

It was posted in this thread
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/digi...w-rtx-3080-cloud-vs-xcloud-vs-stadia.1628150/

Holy shit, I didn't know about this. The anti-streaming people(because of latency) that are console-only players are looking pretty funny now. I knew I wasn't crazy when I said I don't even notice latency when I play GE Force now at work on a wired connection. It's great.

reksveks

For the most part I use my Xbox for remote streaming if I'm playing something intensive, but the xcloud touch controls on point and click games like AI, Drangonropa and Nonary games are 👌💋
Yeah, the way that the touch controls disappears on when the cut scenes start in danganronpa 2 is a nice touch.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah, the way that the touch controls disappears on when the cut scenes start in danganronpa 2 is a nice touch.
They honestly feel like native phone games, and make sense for the genre.

I prefer them to the console controls, with the cursor.

This is where something like smart glass could have made sense for console only gamers instead of trying to shoehorn it into everything.

Last edited:

Withnail

Doesn't the speed of your ISP also affect game streaming? Right now, the highest in USA is 1Gbps right? Even though you have Wi-Fi 6E routers that can go up to 10Gbps

40-50 Mbps is enough to stream in 4K + surround sound. Anything above that is redundant and is only really useful to do multiple things on the same connection (eg if someone else in the house is watching Netflix). As others have said it's latency (ping) that matters.

Schmick

Keyboard and mouse support could be significant but I guess it's still down to the developers to integrate K&B support into the games.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I welcome improved quality, I use Xcloud to try games out, or if I dont have enough SSD space.

My biggest complaint is somtimes games which are 60fps on seriesX are 30fps on xcloud.

12Dannu123

I welcome improved quality, I use Xcloud to try games out, or if I dont have enough SSD space.

My biggest complaint is somtimes games which are 60fps on seriesX are 30fps on xcloud.

The reason why there's a 30 FPS limit on XCloud and 60FPS on XSX is because XCloud is running XSX server blades but using a Series S profile.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Real 4k is usually only 30fps on consoles, but for streaming you need atleast 60fps.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The latency on Xbox streaming is atrocious. Tried playing multiple games but it feels incredibly sluggish. Pointless service in this state.
Your experience is not everyone's experience. Also try it with a wired controller, helps a bunch.

elliot5

when are they going to introduce this to LATAM?, there are millions of people that can’t afford the hardware but would gladly pay to play streaming on their phone or laptop.
Its available in mexico, brazil, argentina and the only supported countries for xbox that dont have cloud are chile and colombia which will probably get it soonish

Last edited:

Banned
For me xcloud/psnow have gotten to a point where i cant even tell if its streaming or running native for games in the xbox 360/ps3 era and below via local wifi.

yikes... if you can't tell those from native, the 2 worst streaming services out there... I mean... damn, that's some level of casual I didn't expect on such a forum

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I tried game cloud with a 200 Mbit wired connectikn.

I got some weird TV lines and graphical glitches using it.
That sounds like packet loss, your speed is not the issue.
Could be caused by high jitter or maybe a link in your network, like a switch.

Beechos

yikes... if you can't tell those from native, the 2 worst streaming services out there... I mean... damn, that's some level of casual I didn't expect on such a forum
I didnt know this was a techincal forum, i thought it was a forum for people who love the hobby. Maybe i have a good internet connection, maybe im old and the reflexes/eyesight cant tell the difference anymore. I really only notice a difference with modern games. Not everyone are cyborgs who can spot every single dropped frame, feel the diff bet .000001 and .000002ms input lag, count every pixel.

Top Bottom