• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XDefiant is back April 19-21 for a test session

Spyxos

Gold Member
They should get it out there slowly. The last time I played it, it seemed almost finished.

Yea I was surprised it wasn't released after the last test felt fine to me.
If I remember right, the party system was broken, there were issues with XP levels not unlocking gear, and there were hit registration issues. And most of this only became an issue when enough players were overloading their servers, because it didn't show up during internal tests.

MaKTaiL

I played the closed beta and it was a really fun shooter but there were too many server issues. Hopefully they managed to solve it.

If I remember right, the party system was broken, there were issues with XP levels not unlocking gear, and there were hit registration issues. And most of this only became an issue when enough players were overloading their servers, because it didn't show up during internal tests.

Ok I didn't realize any of that. I played a lone and I don't think I even paid attention to the XP system.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I had no interest in this because I heard the term “arena shooter” and assumed it was something else. However, just watched a Jack Frags gameplay video on it and I am 100% interested now. Did not know it looked like older COD without killstreaks. I’ll definitely give this a shot. Ubisoft fucks up a lot of shit they touch, so I’m going on cautiously, but looks fun and gunplay seems tight.

I had no interest in this because I heard the term “arena shooter” and assumed it was something else. However, just watched a Jack Frags gameplay video on it and I am 100% interested now. Did not know it looked like older COD without killstreaks. I’ll definitely give this a shot. Ubisoft fucks up a lot of shit they touch, so I’m going on cautiously, but looks fun and gunplay seems tight.
Yeah, I really think of Unreal Tournament or Quake when I think of an arena shooter. Games like this and Shatterline I think of more in terms of being COD clones. That's not really a bad thing, either, especially when you consider the rough state COD has been in for the last several years.

If you'd like to know more about the game, you can find a good deal of info in this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/coul...-know-later-this-week.1655222/#post-267811149

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
After playing several matches, this shit is garbage. It’s just sad how unbalanced everything is. They need to just cancel this at this point…I know they won’t because it’s Ubi, and they will probably figure out a way to release next week with a disgusting amount of micro transactions that balance and overpower the paid weapons. Fucking sad.

manfestival

I was pretty much on board during the initial test. Right now after just putting a bunch of time into the finals. This game just feels pretty garbage. Basically a game that released a generation too late for what it is. Granted, I do love what they are attempting to accomplish with the game minus the whole "hero shooter" elements that are sprinkled in. Gonna be going back to playing The Finals. They need more content for that game

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The only thing I can really say I enjoy about this game is I can tell there is no SBMM and really wish COD would go back to that

I can have a few really nice games and not get my teeth kicked in for the next 5 matches because SBMM says so

But sadly the game just is missing something for me

So I have both crossplay and input based matchmaking on but man some of these Ubisoft players don't seem like they are using a controller... Not sure if there is any way for them to spoof it but damn well feels like it.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So I have both crossplay and input based matchmaking on but man some of these Ubisoft players don't seem like they are using a controller... Not sure if there is any way for them to spoof it but damn well feels like it.
Its something I have discussed with people who would know about COD that people have been spoofing PS only lobbies with PCs and KBM and those Devs know its happening

Matchmaking is stupid too. I can't find any way to set my specific region so while it says Australia while I'm matchmaking it then throws me into Asia when I actually get into a match. Last match it out me into Middle East. How can they not have one simple setting? Unless I'm blind?

Can't get aiming feeling as good as I'd like and there is some weirdo delay after ADS where you can't shoot? Just doesn't feel great to play to be honest. Been spoilt by The FINALS.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

The only thing I can really say I enjoy about this game is I can tell there is no SBMM and really wish COD would go back to that

I can have a few really nice games and not get my teeth kicked in for the next 5 matches because SBMM says so

But sadly the game just is missing something for me
Basically where I'm at. I was usually 1st or 2nd in my team which was surprising to me, but it was fun. However after an hour I just stopped playing and uninstalled. Something just... didn't hook me. Maybe that'll change at launch? I'm not sure. But it definitely feels like something is missing.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Its something I have discussed with people who would know about COD that people have been spoofing PS only lobbies with PCs and KBM and those Devs know its happening
But they got patched to not work anymore on Playstation, for now they only work on consoles
Not specific to the Game

I really enjoyed this when MWII was out as that was such a let down from IW, but now that MWIII is out, it just feels miles better than XDefiant. Won't be putting any significant time into it that's for sure.

wipeout364

This game will be DOA. I played the last beta and I can’t see what this offers that would pull people off COD.

No SBMM will be the final nail in the coffin as new players will bounce off it when they get stomped continually.

I am very interested to see how all their no SBMM gamble pays off. Maybe I’m wrong and there is a large audience for that kind of game.

MiguelItUp

The finals has really made the feel of every other FPS shooter feel very sluggish.
I personally thought The Finals felt nice and the destruction is cool, but it was lacking in almost every other way. It just didn't hold my grasp. Much like this. I felt like the gameplay here was more entertaining personally, it's just missing something that makes me want to stay.

Rockman33

I personally thought The Finals felt nice and the destruction is cool, but it was lacking in almost every other way. It just didn't hold my grasp. Much like this. I felt like the gameplay here was more entertaining personally, it's just missing something that makes me want to stay.
Maybe give it another shot. After you learn al the mechanics and get a good team every game feels unique to the last.

Have played THE FINALS for 300 or so hours. Play it every weekend with my brother and another online friend. Definitely not lacking as you say, there are just so many different things that can happen. The only thing I dislike is the constant balancing or unbalancing depending on which class you prefer playing.

manfestival

Yeah I am gonna have to agree with dreamstation here. The Finals really isn't lacking in anything except for maybe more maps. I originally felt like you when I booted up the game and dropped it. Some of my friends stayed with it and roped me into trying it out again. Now I have 128 hours in it and really enjoy the game.

Other thoughts on XDefiant. I find myself constantly dying without understanding how I actually died. Like sometimes I know I made it behind the wall and then I still die like... OKAY. Then the commentator/Narration is very cringy. Basically trying too hard to be funny like reading off of a script with no personality. I hate to be that guy again comparing things to "The Finals" but that game has top tier narration that is actually pretty entertaining and actually helps with the immersion. Damage also seems inconsistent. Like I know I am shooting people but I barely do damage to them but then they turn on me with the same gun and absolutely blast me into oblivion. EVEN with me getting the initial shots in on them(this happens in other games but its not comparable in experience execution).

MiguelItUp

Maybe give it another shot. After you learn al the mechanics and get a good team every game feels unique to the last.
Have played THE FINALS for 300 or so hours. Play it every weekend with my brother and another online friend. Definitely not lacking as you say, there are just so many different things that can happen. The only thing I dislike is the constant balancing or unbalancing depending on which class you prefer playing.
Yeah I am gonna have to agree with dreamstation here. The Finals really isn't lacking in anything except for maybe more maps. I originally felt like you when I booted up the game and dropped it. Some of my friends stayed with it and roped me into trying it out again. Now I have 128 hours in it and really enjoy the game.
Honestly I tried it for a good awhile, got the flow down and everything, and then just put it down. I'm glad people dig it, but I think in the long run it just isn't my cup of tea and I don't really know why as I feel like it most certainly should be, lol.

Like sometimes I know I made it behind the wall and then I still die like... OKAY.

Like I know I am shooting people but I barely do damage to them but then they turn on me with the same gun and absolutely blast me into oblivion. EVEN with me getting the initial shots in on them(this happens in other games but its not comparable in experience execution).
Yep. Tried it again tonight with my brother and same online friend that we play THE FINALS with and we all came to the same conclusion. Garbage. So inconsistent/bullshit. We went back to the other game and we all said yep this is the better game and it's not even close.

Top Bottom