• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XDefiant - Playtest Thursday 16th February

manfestival

it just still looks like it doesnt do anything enough to make people want to play it considering all of the options we have. basically, another generic title sent to die

Varteras

Gold Member
Bored Season 5 GIF by The Office

VN1X

Banned
I was in the closed beta for this and while I very much like the concept (fast paced arena based shooter with hero abilities) it didn't exactly instill me with much confidence when the gunplay and basic mechanics left a lot to be desired. Even simple things such as ammo management was completely fucked as you constantly ran out of ammo and then could only keep playing if you found another weapon on the ground. Super shoddy hit detection as well but then again that could have been down to the limited server availability during these tests.

What's worse is that since XDefiant's reveal Shatterline has come along and it basically does everything XD does but more and better. A steady dripfeed of content as well an incredibly solid co-op offering (both in roguelike and standard story flavours) made me very much enjoy SL and I've already racked up 100+ hours in that game.

I'll give XD another look though, if only to see if things have improved ever since I last played it.

badblue

Gold Member
it just still looks like it doesnt do anything enough to make people want to play it considering all of the options we have. basically, another generic title sent to die

It's Ubisoft, what else did you expect?
Classic Reaction GIF

Anyways, the code worked for me as well. I could play a good game tomorrow but I'll play this instead.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Still has a stupid name, but after Apex TDM released only allowing three friends to play together, and with all the stupid things Overwatch 2 has done to drive people away, I'm absolutely up for trying a new free to play 6 vs 6 shooter. I'm not going to go signing up for it, though. I'll try the open beta, if that ever happens, or I'll just wait for the full game.

Is this playtest going to be under an NDA, or can we expect to see gameplay on you tube?

Last edited:

midnightAI

Still has a stupid name, but after Apex TDM released only allowing three friends to play together, and with all the stupid things Overwatch 2 has done to drive people away, I'm absolutely up for trying a new free to play 6 vs 6 shooter. I'm not going to go signing up for it, though. I'll try the open beta, if that ever happens, or I'll just wait for the full game.

Is this playtest going to be under an NDA, or can we expect to see gameplay on you tube?
I had to sign an NDA, doubt that will stop people streaming it though

I played a couple of the super early tests. It seemed okay but uninspired. I do think there is a market for a good competitive respawn fps like this though considering what an absolute joke Cod is these days.

VN1X

Banned
Anyone played this yet? I forgot to download it and now it's 23:00 down here lol. Hoping I can get some matches in tomorrow (also the fact that this is 60gb is ridiculous).

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Why? The game isn’t going to be any less terrible.

Already sounds better than modern day COD multiplayer.

I'm hopeful this will turn out to be a good game. Couldn't be much worse than the current 6 vs 6 offerings. It's not like anyone else is doing this type of game right these days.

VN1X

Banned
Already sounds better than modern day COD multiplayer.

I'm hopeful this will turn out to be a good game. Couldn't be much worse than the current 6 vs 6 offerings. It's not like anyone else is doing this type of game right these days.

Yes but Shatterline.

Seriously I urge anyone to give it a go. It's free and on Steam. Devs are based in Ukraine and are pumping out more content than many other full priced live service games.

nikos

Played the first playtest a while back. It was actually pretty fun. Downloading now to see how it has progressed.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
Yes but Shatterline.

Seriously I urge anyone to give it a go. It's free and on Steam. Devs are based in Ukraine and are pumping out more content than many other full priced live service games.
I don't generally game on PC anymore, but I've been looking forward to the console release for a while now.

TheShocker

I didn’t hate it. I just don’t know where the game would fit amongst other shooters. I feel like with some of the burnout on BR, arena shooters have a chance for a comeback. The problem with Defiant is that other games do what they’re trying to do and do it better.

VN1X

Banned
Played it for about an hour (again) and struggle to see the improvements they're supposedly making between each test.

The gunplay still feels as if you're playing competitive Fallout or something and they're seemingly more occupied with adding in awful VO work (especially when you pick one of the factions that give you the most obnoxious English announcer possible). Not sure how this is supposed to win players over from things like Shatterline, Ironsight and others. Even old-school CoD fans such as myself will have a hard time finding any redeeming qualities in here I'm afraid.

I think I'll give the "full" release one more go but I doubt it'll have any meaningful changes over the version I played this weekend. If they still haven't fixed the awful UI design for the operator selection by then I give up lol.

Top Bottom