• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Catch All Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance the first one is getting a port along with the rumored XCX port? Or would getting it for my N3DS be the best option without buying new hardware?

skypunch

Banned
For me i think the best way to determine english VA is Setting

SCIFI IE XCX should mostly be American
Fantasy ie XC should be Brittish

X got American VA because it was a product aimed even more deliberately at the American audience and the cast were from America. There was zero European flavour in that game. The American dub had nothing to do with its sci-fi tone and setting.

Ridley327

Any chance the first one is getting a port along with the rumored XCX port? Or would getting it for my N3DS be the best option without buying new hardware?

I would think that the n3DS port would be your best bet currently. It seems like the retail version is OOP now, so getting on it sooner rather than later before it crawls up to the Wii version's price.

I actually just grabbed the digital Wii version on the WiiU tonight and it's a really nice experience playing on the gamepad screen, a good balance of screen size and visuals this way. Worth considering if it's an option for you. Also amazed my 4 year old save file from my Wii had survived and was there waiting for me when I booted up.

PK Gaming

I'm 100% serious, mate. It would sully the game for me. I cannot stand stock American anime dubs; I need the cadence, gravitas, and emphasis on words that only voice work from British actors can provide. It's that Shakespearian touch.

On the one hand, you're being totally ridiculous. I mean, Shakespearian touch? Gravitas? Get out of here man. It's not like american dub actors don't give their all when voice acting either.

But I also get where you're coming from, too. The Xenoblade dub was genuinely special. So different and fresh... it really helped give Xenolade its own unique vibe. It would be super nice if that ended up being a tradition for the Xenoblade series. Sadly, I just don't see that happening. Xenoblade having a british dub was done by necessity, not because they were going for something different.

StereoVsn

I would think that the n3DS port would be your best bet currently. It seems like the retail version is OOP now, so getting on it sooner rather than later before it crawls up to the Wii version's price.
Unless he buys Wii version and emulates it.

I'm 100% serious, mate. It would sully the game for me. I cannot stand stock American anime dubs; I need the cadence, gravitas, and emphasis on words that only voice work from British actors can provide. It's that Shakespearian touch.

Fantasy fans being such huge anglophiles never ceases to annoy me

skypunch

Banned
On the one hand, you're being totally ridiculous. I mean, Shakespearian touch? Gravitas? Get out of here man. It's not like american dub actors don't give their all when voice acting either.

But I also get where you're coming from, too. The Xenoblade dub was genuinely special. So different and fresh... it really helped give Xenolade its own unique vibe. It would be super nice if that ended up being a tradition for the Xenoblade series. Sadly, I just don't see that happening. Xenoblade having a british dub was done by necessity, not because they were going for something different.

I'm not saying American dub actors don't give it their all, I just don't like stock American anime VA.

It's funny you also mentioning the British dub being more of a neccesity, but the Xenoblade Chronicles eShop page actually mentions the British voice work as an aspect that gives the game an authentic fantasy feel, so it can't have all been about "neccesity".

Plus, it's not as if something born of a neccesity can't become a staple or tradition.

Fantasy fans being such huge anglophiles never ceases to annoy me

I wouldn't even class myself as a "fantasy fan", though. I would choose British voice acting for all JRPGs if I had a choice.

From my understanding Xenoblade Chronicles having a Britsh dub was more of a happy accident born out of the fact that the only way of it getting an English release was Nintendo Europe handling it. While I'd love for more games to get English dubs from different English speaking regions, I don't really expect it to happen again.

duckroll

Is Monolith Soft's current recruitment website for the Tokyo studio? http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/recruit/special/index.html#top

If so, does it confirm the Tokyo studio is the studio that's assisting on Breath of the Wild? I know the Kyoto studio is usually the one that assists on other Nintendo projects, but I want to say the Tokyo studio assisted on Skyward Sword.

Kyoto is an art studio. They do art assets, not game design or direction. With Brawl and Skyward Sword, Monolithsoft did more than just provide art assets. They also aided in level design and game planning. The same should be true for BotW. So yes, Tokyo.

This is how I see the design.

Uncolored =/= skin

I don't say this frontal view is ludicrous but may be just me.

It's just us, we've been desensitized to that bullcrap.

The character designer's previous works do not scream common decency. Censorship is part of localization and I think we're just going to have to accept that.

Garlador

SXP9bhV.jpg

I would triple dip for sure if they did...

nintendo is kinda dumb if they don't put out a remaster for this and milk people

that means it won't happen and you'll have to settle with the eshop.

Kyoto is an art studio. They do art assets, not game design or direction. With Brawl and Skyward Sword, Monolithsoft did more than just provide art assets. They also aided in level design and game planning. The same should be true for BotW. So yes, Tokyo.

Thanks, I know Kyoto focuses on assets but didn't remember what Monolith Soft did for Skyward Sword.

I remember Takahashi saying that some recruitment for the Tokyo studio in late 2015 for map design and "interesting adventure elements" were for supporting another Nintendo project that likely applied to Zelda, and I remember Monolith's involvement with BotW getting confirmed at E3.

I guess the Tokyo studio wrapping up Xenoblade X, assisting on Breath of the Wild, and starting production for Xenoblade 2 in 2015 seems like a bit for the studio to juggle at once since it's not huge. Granted we don't know exactly when Monolith finished up on Xenoblade X.

I've said it in BotW threads and I'll say it here too - there's no way we're not flying through that world at some point. Whether that's in a Skell, a Mechon's scooped out innards or on the back of some creature I don't know, but it's happening, a grappling hook will do in the meantime.

Unrelated but I've been on a Xenoblade/X soundtrack kick since this was announced. Xenoblade'a is so fucking good, obviously, but X had some really excellent music if you could just strip the vocals out.

Wait a sec...is that a grappling hook on his left arm?

Did they take some cues from doing BotW and added more traversal mechanics?

I noticed that in the concept art. I'm not sure if it's just a part of the equipment's design or if it will involve an actual game mechanic. If the grappling hook is used for some sort of mechanic, I'm assuming it would show up on all of the protagonist's equipment instead of only his default outfit.

If the grappling hook actually is a gameplay mechanic, I could see it being tied to traversal with the possible sky setting.

duckroll

I've said it in BotW threads and I'll say it here too - there's no way we're not flying through that world at some point. Whether that's in a Skell, a Mechon's scooped out innards or on the back of some creature I don't know, but it's happening, a grappling hook will do in the meantime.

Unrelated but I've been on a Xenoblade/X soundtrack kick since this was announced. Xenoblade'a is so fucking good, obviously, but X had some really excellent music if you could just strip the vocals out.

But you don't even know if Xenoblade 2 is really open world. It could be more in line with Xenoblade, where it's wide open areas that are interconnected.

Omg I would go crazy for Xenoblade Chronicles HD. It's one of the greatest JRPGs I've ever played. It's a game that deserves to be in HD.

I wonder if the 3 script pages were picked randomly or with specific intent to communicate the tone of the game, because man, one of them is Tales as fuck. Lol.

There's the page with Van Damme explaining the Blade to Rex as I mentioned, and then there's one with a team investigating an ancient ship, which sounds Xeno as hell. And then.... then... there is a bath scene with 3 female characters with awkward shit, including one commenting on the other's figure. Lol.

A.N.I.M.E.

I'm surprised they're leaning so heavily towards an anime style. The original Xenoblade although definitely inspired, never seemed to dive all the way in with it.

So I know there's lots of complaints about the art style in general but Xeno has always been anime like. A bath scene won't bother me cause we had previous things like this in Xeno. I'm not sure why people are saying it is too anime for them, honestly /:

Dystify

I'd prefer if it wasn't open world and more like Xenoblade 1. Open world kind of stands in the way of the story if you can already go anywhere after a certain point and see locations before the story even got there. They could counter this with some barriers or whatever, but I don't like that either.

What if the opening hour of the game involves reaching the giant whale with the grappling hook, and it turns out to be the Wind Fish from Link's Awakening?

Then fade to black and it turns out the opening was a dream Tatsu was having. Then the title screen changes to "XENOBLADE CHRONICLES X PART II"

13ruce

Banned
Is the first chronicles game on wii u virtual console? Might buy that if so to prepare for this liked what i saw in this trailer.

Hazu

Sorry is this might be a bit off-topic, but does anyone know what happened to this project that was teased by Monolith back in 2012 I believe?

1308138314.jpg

anaron

lmao

you're such an Anglophile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom