• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Catch All Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordKano

Just came by to say, I think this game will launch this year. Many of the other games shown at the conference still show "TBD" on their release dates. XB2 shows "2017." Guess I'm an optimist

Thing is, I think the trailer looks awful. The IQ is worse than on XBX, and the framerate is almost in the single digits. That's why I think the game isn't coming anytime soon.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I really hope it releases this year, man. I could always use more Xeno games in my life. After all the similarities I think I'm finally gonna have to take the plunge with Baten Kaitos now...

Xenoblade also deserves the added attention that comes by launching earlier in a console's life. Both the original and X came late into their respective console's lifespans, and I don't think it did them any favors. Hitting the Switch within its first year will really help boost the sales of the game just by virtue of being a first party title with some level of name recognition.

Xenoblade also deserves the added attention that comes by launching earlier in a console's life. Both the original and X came late into their respective console's lifespans, and I don't think it did them any favors. Hitting the Switch within its first year will really help boost the sales of the game just by virtue of being a first party title with some level of name recognition.

Ah yeah, never recognized that fact. That's really great! Hope it does hit it's goal of launching this year!

bomblord1

Banned
Thing is, I think the trailer looks awful. The IQ is worse than on XBX, and the framerate is almost in the single digits. That's why I think the game isn't coming anytime soon.

IQ is worse than XBX: I'm going to have to go with no here. I just played it recently and Xenoblade X looked sub 720p in busy scenes sometimes (just due to the shimmering and other artifacts) a lot of the time with a healthy amount of vaseline smeared on top of it. IQ is definitely better here.

Framerate is single digits: I didn't even notice any framerate issues in the trailer it was only after that I noticed people complaining about it that I rewatched it. And I did I notice some hitching but it's nowhere near single digits

Xliskin

Played Xenoblade 1 the combat did not click with me I hope go back to thr tradtional turn based combat like Xenogears

LordKano

IQ is worse than XBX: I'm going to have to go with no here. I just played it recently and Xenoblade X looked sub 720p in busy scenes sometimes (just due to the shimmering and other artifacts) a lot of the time with a healthy amount of vaseline smeared on top of it. IQ is definitely better here.

Framerate is single digits: I didn't even notice any framerate issues in the trailer it was only after that I noticed people complaining about it that I rewatched it. And I did I notice some hitching but it's nowhere near single digits

Huh not really. I mean, look at one of the first trailer of Xenoblade X (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg) and you'll notice that it's definitely sharper, it's not as blurry, there's more details, and the framerate doesn't stutter as hard as in Xenoblade 2. I don't see how you cannot notice the framerate issues in this trailer, these are awful.

You are probably right but if the game is ready otherwise but only needs optimization it's possible. I mean there's over 11 months to optimize the game befoce last possible 2017 launch. Western version in 2017 is something I don't believe in.

bomblord1

Banned
Huh not really. I mean, look at one of the first trailer of Xenoblade X (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg) and you'll notice that it's definitely sharper, it's not as blurry, there's more details, and the framerate doesn't stutter as hard as in Xenoblade 2. I don't see how you cannot notice the framerate issues in this trailer, these are awful.

I definitely noticed after it was pointed out but it was nowhere near single digits. And I wouldn't judge IQ by a trailer it would be better to compare direct screenshots.

LordKano

You are propably right but if the game is ready otherwise but only needs optimization it's possible. I mean there's over 11 months to optimize the game befoce last possible 2017 launch. Western version in 2017 is something I don't believe in.

Maybe, that's a possibility but I wouldn't count on it.

I definitely noticed after it was pointed out but it was nowhere near single digits. And I wouldn't judge IQ by a trailer it would be better to compare direct screenshots.

Even the screenshots have this weird blurry look. I mean, in this screenshot you can barely see the face of the character :
32159368801_0b0a68c0ef_o.jpg

I really wonder how this is going to work if the handheld mode is around the same power as the WiiU.

Instead of scaling it down, do they start development with the handheld mode in mind and then attempt to scale it up as the last phase of development?

I really wonder how this is going to work if the handheld mode is around the same power as the WiiU.

Instead of scaling it down, do they start development with the handheld mode in mind and then attempt to scale it up as the last phase of development?

No idea about the same power as the Wii U as haven't really been following the tech stuff deeply but yea, it strikes me as logical that if all the dock does is bump the resolution, maybe clock things a bit higher to do so, that they would build the game as efficiently and effectively for handheld as possible then once the best is locked in there, see what the best cane done in docked mode to finish dev. Otherwise you'd just run into issues where handheld ran poorly. I'm sure you'll get cases where a dev tried it this way round.

Replaying Xenoblade chronicles right now and Damn, the opening hours are great. The story is interesting, they spend a lot of time character building and the directing of the story scenes is awesome. Great music. Never finished the first time, got about 40 hours in but definitely this time. Will have a lot more time playing on the game pad.

skypunch

Banned
Did anyone else notice how in the trailer Rex actually turns his head to look at the Bunnit on the rock as he runs past it? I know it's not like this stuff hasn't been done before in other games, but neither Xenoblade or Xenoblade X had this. It's a nice touch.

I have a feeling a lot of focus is going to go into making these characters as expressive as possible.

Can we take a moment to remember how awesome Elma was? played as her a lot, wish she had her own game though her arc is pretty similar to shulks
in that shes far more than just a human or a homs and we find this out at the end

skypunch

Banned
Can we take a moment to remember how awesome Elma was? played as her a lot, wish she had her own game though her arc is pretty similar to shulks
in that shes far more than just a human or a homs and we find this out at the end

I found her really grating, if I'm honest. I didn't like her voice, either. She's very dull and stiff, in both tone of voice and animation.

duckroll

Seeing the concept art made me cringe, and makes me wonder why they chose this guy for the character designs. What makes it worse is that if they had modeled Tanaka's designs like this they probably would've translated better as well, basically the models look okay but the actual designs are pretty bad this time.

Also put me in the camp hoping for two lines of Xeno games too, if they can get another Xenoblade out this generation I really hope it's X 2 but having the story focus the first game lacked.

Just like how Takahashi picked Sawano for Xenoblade X because he liked his much in Gundam Unicorn, Takahashi probably went after this guy because he enjoyed Expelled from Paradise or something. Shrug. Dude's allowed to have bad taste from time to time. At least Mitsuda's back. :p

duckroll

I'm not sure why people want the same cast voicing completely different characters. it would be one thing if there are returning characters and the consistently is expected, but if the cast is brand new even if NoE is doing it any would you want the same cast in it. That's dumb.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

It really just screams EARLY!!! to me.

I do not see how this makes it in 2017.

Dremorak

Banned
I'm not sure why people want the same cast voicing completely different characters. it would be one thing if there are returning characters and the consistently is expected, but if the cast is brand new even if NoE is doing it any would you want the same cast in it. That's dumb.

For me it was more the idea that him at SIDE may imply hes cameoing in it, and therefore they are handling the translation. Bit of a stretch, but a man can dream.

Xbro

Well we could get Jenna Coleman to play the same character she played.

Wait how is Homura and Hikari going to work as party members if they have to be the blade cores.

Single player Action JRPG? Or something akin to Tales of Zestiria (Plz no).

MomoQca

YouTube views

~24 hours after reveal:
Japan: 93,633
North America: 666,959

~48 hours after reveal:
Japan: ?
North America: ~920k (based on memory...)

~60 hours:
Japan: 174,091
North America: 965,314

~72 hours
Japan: 185,475
North America: 1,027,341

~96 hours
Japan: 199,623
North America: 1,087,035

5 days
Japan: 211,756
North America: 1,126,464

adroit

Well we could get Jenna Coleman to play the same character she played.
I don't think that'll happen. She quit Doctor Who to concentrate on playing Queen Victoria in an ITV series which is also showing on PBS in the US. My hunch is she's well out of reach now. (But I could be wrong.)

adroit

Can we take a moment to remember how awesome Elma was? played as her a lot, wish she had her own game[...]
Yep, I like her too. I'm in the middle of my third playthrough of the story.

It would be neat if Elma got her own game (Xeno Chron X2, perhaps). We'll just have to see what happens. It'll be many years before we know.

Yep, really enjoyed her character. It was nice to have an older tougher female lead in a jrpg for once. She had a lot mystery about her and I hope one day we find out more about who she really is. Also one of the best character designs in X too.

jdstorm

Banned

Id love them to blow the whole budget on getting some A list people. But that wont happen.

Edit. Also Elma is the best. Then again all of XCXs female characters are great in how neuanced they are. XCX is a character writing masterclass compared to most modern games.

Its just a shame they messed up the paceing

Kaelan

Hope we get a port of xenoblade chronicle x for switch, always wanted to play it. Hyped for this game too. Subbed.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That's a screenshot from Nintendo tho.

it must be sad that also the latest Zelda's screenshot weren't nothing special, way uglier than what we saw in the trailer
but let's hope that image quality and framerate will be sorted out properly
it must be said that Monolith deserves our trust, in this very moment, about those aspects (not about a '17 release instead ;p )

Id love them to blow the whole budget on getting some A list people. But that wont happen.

Edit. Also Elma is the best. Then again all of XCXs female characters are great in how neuanced they are. XCX is a character writing masterclass compared to most modern games.

Its just a shame they messed up the paceing
I'd say characters were mixed in XCX. Tastu was annoying and on par with Chu Chu from Xenogears in terms of annoying mascot character. The villains were very under developed and a lot of side characters could have benefited from more development too. I really liked Elma, Lin despite her awkward character model turned out much better then expected. Celica and L had a lot of interesting potential but it feels like there is still so little we that we know about them in the game. Some of the npcs in X were great too big step up from the first Xenoblade in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom