• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Catch All Info Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockmanBN

The only sensible choice is British because

1.) Consistency

2.) The game is positioning itself as an RPG aimed at fans of the original Xenoblade

3.) The setting is fantasy

4.) British theatre is considered among the best in the world

An American dub really has no place in XB2.

Can we have the semi real/anime artstyle back too?

British for me.

skypunch

Banned
Add one, because that's my (and probably most people here's) pick.

I really don't care, I just want the voice acting to be good, and British VAs are not a requirement for that.

It's not most people's pick. You can't speak for others. The results show that many more want British voice acting.

If you don't care whether it's British or American, then there's no need to get your panties in a twist over this poll.

It's not most people's pick. You can't speak for others. The results show that many more want British voice acting.

If you don't care whether it's British or American, then there's no need to get your panties in a twist over this poll.

JqYTmjn.gif

Ridley327

>"You can't speak for others"
>proceeds to speak for others

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Just like how Takahashi picked Sawano for Xenoblade X because he liked his much in Gundam Unicorn, Takahashi probably went after this guy because he enjoyed Expelled from Paradise or something. Shrug. Dude's allowed to have bad taste from time to time. At least Mitsuda's back. :p

I get the feeling you're right. In which case he needs to stop doing that shit and start thinking more about who would actually fit the role better.

And I wholeheartedly agree about Mitsuda. Although I hope ACE will provide some balance to his style here instead of conforming to it. I think people liked Xenoblade's OST because there was a balance between the styles despite having so many people on board.

brinstar

Nothing about the original XB screams British to me. I mean, if they go that way again cool, but I feel like we're rapidly entering this zone where anything XB2 does differently is going to be 100x more scrutinized due to how lionized XB1 has become.

OmegaDL50

I'm still trying to figure out what was wrong with the Xenoblade X dub compared to the original, other than the Manon sounding the way they did and Tatsu having Nopon-style speech.

Not even British VA would save the Manon from sounding like annoying Chipmunks, and Nopon would be Nopon, even Riki in the original Xenoblade with British VA had the same Nopon style speech mannerisms as well. British VA isn't going to fix those sorts of things.

skypunch

Banned

It honestly just sounds like you're agitated by my preference for British VA.

If you really don't care whether it's British or American as long as it's good, then there's no need for the third option. Stop trying to be smart.

You might as well just say "I don't care about the dub, as long as it works", which is exactly what "as long as it's good" reads like.

etking

Banned
It is highly unlikely that mechs will not be returning in one or another form. Every Xeno game had them since the original Xenogears. But in my opinion mech fights and customization in Xenoblade X were the most boring part of the game, so I hope their role will be less important.

Yazuka

British or American I really don't care.
As long as it is good, which I usually think dubs are I'll be pleased with whatever they go with.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its stupid to worry about things like regional accents, and actually quite regionally xenophobic in a way. Just enjoy the game and hope the dub is good in general regardless of where its from. Your never going to know about any dubbing differences if you play the original version anyway

OmegaDL50

It honestly just sounds like you're agitated by my preference for British VA.

If you really don't care whether it's British or American as long as it's good, then there's no need for the third option. Stop trying to be smart.

You might as well just say "I don't care about the dub, as long as it works", which is exactly what "as long as it's good" reads like.

Good voice work and a decent localization is something that matters, so no. Saying something that just works is not the same thing. It would be presumptuous to imply that Good VA and American voice work is something that is mutually exclusive. I know you aren't saying this, but we should be well aware this isn't 1997 anymore and the odds of a bad English dub happening is far less a scenario then 20 years ago, especially since neither of the Xenoblade games had a bad dub anyways.

Even so there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the American VA work in Xenoblade X anyways, considering the roles of Emma, Lin, Vandamm, Lao and the other story significant cast.

Also I even outlined above that both the Manon and Nopon wouldn't factor if the VA work would be British or American English. Those sorts of situations would be an issue regardless of what regional voice work was used.

skypunch

Banned
Good voice work and a decent localization is something that matters, so no. Saying something that just works is not the same thing. It would be presumptuous to imply that Good VA and American voice work is something that is mutually exclusive. I know you aren't saying this, but we should be well aware this isn't 1997 anymore and the odds of a bad English dub happening is far less a scenario then 20 years ago, especially since neither of the Xenoblade games had a bad dub anyways.

Even so there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the American VA work in Xenoblade X anyways, considering the roles of Emma, Lin, Vandamm, Lao and the other story significant cast.

Also I even outlined above that both the Manon and Nopon wouldn't factor if the VA work would be British or American English. Those sorts of situations would be an issue regardless of what regional voice work was used.

The VA in XCX isn't bad, it works, but it does only that: work. It's just so painfully average. There's nothing about it that stands out to me. It literally sounds like every other JRPG which all use the same stock American anime voice actors. It is unlike XB's dub which was a breath of fresh air and fundamentally added to the characters. The British dub was so good, that I actually forgot the characters were anime tropes.

I believe I've said it before, but it's more than just "one's British" and "one's American". There are subtle differences in the style and approach of British voice acting. In general, British actors tend to come from a classically trained background and are stage trained, which is why I feel Brits give much better performances. Side UK traditionally deal with theatre actors and that's literally the style and approach you can hear in Xenoblade's VA.

Most American anime dubs sound like Saturday morning cartoon or Disney shows because in America, daytime TV and Nickelodeon is where American actors tend to begin their acting careers. They don't go through intense classical training and begin on the stage.

There are huge cultural differences that affect the style and approach of both British and American voice acting. If I had to sum it up: In general, the British ideal is moving drama, whereas the American ideal is blockbuster spectacle.

Xelinis

The VA in XCX isn't bad, it works, but it does only that: work.

Have you considered the possibility that maybe it's more to do the writing than the voice acting? Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed XCX a lot, but there's no denying that it's story and writing are barebones and a far cry from the original. It was most certainly a project more focused on gameplay and HD technology.

Its stupid to worry about things like regional accents, and actually quite regionally xenophobic in a way. Just enjoy the game and hope the dub is good in general regardless of where its from. Your never going to know about any dubbing differences if you play the original version anyway

I think it has less to do with the regionality per se and more with there being a stylistic difference in how British and American actors (and/or voice directors) commonly tend to approach the job. I don't know why it is the case - maybe because most British actors tend to have a theatrical background and education - but British acting is far more inclined to consciously and, in the best sense of the term, ham it up and go for that over-the-top theatricality. On the other hand, American voice acting in video games tends to go for a more restrained, "cinematic" or "realistic" delivery. I think that putting XC and XCX side by side perfectly illustrates that difference in approaches. That doesn't mean that the voice acting in XCX is worse or bad, it's just a different approach.

Now, I don't speak Japanese but what I can gather from the original dubs of your average JRPG (or anime and all that stuff in general) is that the Japanese voice acting is usually done in a *very* hammy and extremely theatrical style. And I think that this just translates better to the more theatrical British style of delivery. To put it another way, ultimately I don't really care whether X2 gets a British or an American English localization. I just hope that whoever directs the localization goes for the "hamming it up" approach. Whether, metaphorically speaking, they get BRIAN BLESSED or Al Pacino to do the job is secondary.

skypunch

Banned
Have you considered the possibility that maybe it's more to do the writing than the voice acting? Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed XCX a lot, but there's no denying that it's story and writing are barebones and a far cry from the original. It was most certainly a project more focused on gameplay and HD technology.

Yes, I have, but I think both the writing and voice acting is average. The writing in XB isn't exactly Shakespeare either, but the story and characters were elevated by charismatic voice work that left an impression on the player. The style and approach of it all feels so outside the box of stock American anime VA, so that may have helped, too.

Another reason I want a British dub is because I'm a Brit myself - the accents sound much closer to home, and thus I find them more homely and relatable.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know I'll get shit for this, and I also know it won't happen.

I wish Xenoblade 2 went more full on action rpg. They could keep the cool down on the skills, but just have you map them to buttons. Think PSO 1/2 but your specials have cool downs vs magic meter.

skypunch

Banned

I wish Xenoblade 2 went more full on action rpg. They could keep the cool down on the skills, but just have you map them to buttons. Think PSO 1/2 but your specials have cool downs vs magic meter.

Wasn't XCX already heading in that direction anyway? It is a possibility Xenoblade 2 could surprise us with a full action combat system. I'm honestly expecting one.

On that note, I'm interested in knowing how the sword works if that girl is connected to it by the Zohar symbol. It could bring some really interesting and cool ideas to the combat system.

I want to make a poll too.

Say SAWANO if you think that the game is indeed releasing in 2017, or say SHIMOMURA if the game is a 2018 flop.

skypunch

Banned
I want to make a poll too.

Say SAWANO if you think that the game is indeed releasing in 2017, or say SHIMOMURA if the game is a 2018 flop.

Sawano

*winces*

On one hand, I am thinking that Nintendo just said 2017 because it makes the games list look better.

On the other hand, the game already has voice work.

Mister Wolf

I wouldn't want a team that doesn't have much experience with action rpgs to attempt at making one. That turned out terrible for Final Fantasy XV. They should build on Xenoblade's combat.

The only sensible choice is British because

1.) Consistency

2.) The game is positioning itself as an RPG aimed at fans of the original Xenoblade

3.) The setting is fantasy

4.) British theatre is considered among the best in the world

An American dub really has no place in XB2.

Anglophiles...

Not too excited for this after xenoblade chronicles X. I was hyped for X which I ultimately enjoyed but I had to get accustomed to very short draw distance and Pop Ins which aggravated the heck out of me...even after installing the game. I'll wait for actual consumer gameplay on the Switch to see if I'm going to jump on this one.

random25

I know there's an action RPG obsession as of late, but Xenoblade's menu-style combat is its signature to differentiate it with other games. I just would like the team to improve and tweak around the formula more.

I love how someone made a new poll to make it seem that is somehow desirable to have American VO and currently the British VO is about to win the poll as well.

English is not my native language, and I like more when a game is voiced by British actors: Xenoblade, Dragon Quest VIII, The Souls Series, all those games sound fantastic and they are so few (I'm struggling to remember another one) compared to the more numerous examples of American dubs, with the vast majority of them being pretty average. For every Tales of Vesperia or Persona 3 there are dozens of games that feel quite uninspired and in my humble opinion they would improve a lot with British VA.

For everyone saying accents don't matter that much let me tell you there's a good reason why you have 2 Spanish versions of Breath of the Wild: Latin Americans hate when companies send us dubs made for the European market; the only good ones I remember were the Splinter Cell PT and Chaos Theory's dubs.

adroit

I love how someone made a new poll to make it seem that is somehow desirable to have American VO and currently the British VO is about to win the poll as well.

It's trivial to vote more than once. You can be sure the obsessives are doing just that.

I love British TV (drama and comedy, not the horrible "reality TV" trash). But I couldn't give a rat's ass what accent they use for XC2.

Monolithsoft just tweeted out a recruitment ad for programmers, cg designers, and planners. The image they used below:

proxy.jpg

Just love seeing my two most anticipated Switch software titles next to each other like that. How much of Breath of the Wild did they help out with?

Cerium

Monolithsoft just tweeted out a recruitment ad for programmers, cg designers, and planners. The image they used below:

proxy.jpg

Just love seeing my two most anticipated Switch software titles next to each other like that. How much of Breath of the Wild did they help out with?

I think they were behind a lot of tech for the open world.

I guess they're kind of like what DICE is for EA. Or maybe Guerilla Games for Sony.

That opening shot of the water and the coast in the latest BotW trailer could almost have been lifted right out of Primordia, so I'm really not surprised to learn they had a hand in creating this world too.

Exploration is the one thing I don't think even the pickiest person could complain about with the two Xenoblades, Monolithsoft really know how to make places feel natural while rewarding leaving the beaten track.

Nintendo really got something special when they acquired Monolithsoft, that's for sure.

ika

proxy.jpg

😍

Loving the art. MonolithSoft are masters of exploration and it's evident they're helping Nintendo with Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom