• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

Ezquimacore

Banned
my goty.
xeno3-edited.jpg

Lost interest in game in early Chapter 4. Putting it down for now to play FFXIV 6.2

The gameplay is what's killing it for me. I'm only able to play the game for an hour or so before I gotta take a break because I get restless. I really don't like the Class System, the Combat or the Exploration. I'm hoping when I return to the game it'll click with me better, but for now I'm just not having fun.
Come on, we got a real blue mage instead of limited job? Joking aside, my friends went crazy over the island santuary lol.

Finally finished it, just under 70 hours.

The whole final part and the ending were just perfect in every way imo. What a way to conclude not just the game, but the entire trilogy (I know there’s X too but it doesn’t seem to fit the canon of the rest of the series). It would be an obvious GOTY if it wasn’t for Elden Ring.

XC3 = XC1 > XC2 imo.
I dunno about you... the ending is the worst part of the game too me. It skim over soem major implication of Erasing all live that was born in the City for the past 1000+ years. After mading a big deal of they will protect the lives in the City at all cost. In the end, it mean crap. Do Monica really have the right to dicdate all the live in the city be essentially snap away as if they never existed

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just finished, my god love this game so much, definitely my favourite Xenoblade game and I personally liked ending a lot.

Did NOT expect to see Poppi just jumps out and picture of Rex. Am I misunderstanding something here!? All those 3 children Mithra, Pyra and Nia are holding are from Rex!?

Last edited:

Mistake

I’m at level 32 now. My thoughts so far:
-Characters and story are well written.
-Side quests are no longer mundane, and more organized
-Controls are much better. No more scrolling for arts and everything is easy to see
-Solid balance between gameplay and cutscene content
The bad:
-Changing classes for so many characters, so many times, gets annoying. I have to spend more time balancing my equipment and arts
-Character switching during battle does not pause combat. So I need to go through a list every time I need something while I’m getting attacked. This could have been fixed with a character wheel
-Some skills have requirements during certain interlink levels. Computers don’t care and combine at whatever time they want
-Scenery feels too rocky, almost bland, but I haven’t seen the whole game yet
-Could use a bit more variety in battle music. Every fight is too much flute
-Game translation is rated E, not T

Overall, this is the best Xenoblade out of the three, but could use some adjustments to completely win me over.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Some skills have requirements during certain interlink levels. Computers don’t care and combine at whatever time they want
Once you get Ouroboros second forum you can change to player controlling when party members should transform.

Last edited:

Jsisto

I’m at level 32 now. My thoughts so far:
-Characters and story are well written.
-Side quests are no longer mundane, and more organized
-Controls are much better. No more scrolling for arts and everything is easy to see
-Solid balance between gameplay and cutscene content
The bad:
-Changing classes for so many characters, so many times, gets annoying. I have to spend more time balancing my equipment and arts
-Character switching during battle does not pause combat. So I need to go through a list every time I need something while I’m getting attacked. This could have been fixed with a character wheel
-Some skills have requirements during certain interlink levels. Computers don’t care and combine at whatever time they want
-Scenery feels too rocky, almost bland, but I haven’t seen the whole game yet
-Could use a bit more variety in battle music. Every fight is too much flute
-Game translation is rated E, not T

Overall, this is the best Xenoblade out of the three, but could use some adjustments to completely win me over.
Hmm, too rocky. I hadn’t thought about it, but that may be part of what I dislike about the world compared to the other two. Dont get me wrong, it’s beautiful, but definitely not as much variety in this one. It feels very influenced by breath of the wild in that regard, not surprising given their history. It works there because everything is a climbable surface, and an opportunity to explore, not so much here. I will say thought, I recently upgraded from a 50 inch to a 65 inch ultra hd tv and have a better appreciation for the world. Everything POPS!

Last edited:

Danjin44

Hmm, too rocky. I hadn’t thought about it, but that may be part of what I dislike about the world compared to the other two. Dont get me wrong, it’s beautiful, but definitely not as much variety in this one. It feels very influenced by breath of the wild in that regard, not surprising given their history. It works there because everything is a climbable surface, and an opportunity to explore, not so much here. I will say thought, I recently upgraded from a 50 inch to a 65 inch ultra hd tv and have a better appreciation for the world. Everything POPS!
I personally really liked Aionios and it shows as result of war it has also lots of battle scars through out it surface.

Mistake

I was impressed by the scenery in xenoblade 1, even on wii composite cables. I'd definitely pop in X1 for switch and just warp around if I were you

Btw, there is an icon that looks like a door on my mini map, but not on the start menu map. What is it? And what happens when you die? Sometimes I grab a shiny item by a boss and then die too quick, but when I come back it’s not there. However if you hit the — button to give up, it says you’ll lose items. Not much of a clear answer

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Eh, kinda disappointed with Sena side story. It's more of Ghondor side story than Sena lol. She barely in the story

Last edited:

Danjin44

Eh, kinda disappointed with Sena side story. It's more of Ghondor side story than Sena lol. She barely in the story
Yeah that one I agree, it felt much more of Ghondor’s ascension quest more than Sena but I do like that we see more story behind Shania and her struggle and City has it own issues and politics.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just hit the 45 hour mark. I'm still in Chapter 4 lol. Almost level 60.

I'm mopping the floor with the bosses, and all of the monsters that are in my way from point A -> B are ignoring me. I figure I could probably do about 10 hours of pure story content at this point to kinda "catch up".

Lovely game, really enjoying it.

Danjin44

Just hit the 45 hour mark. I'm still in Chapter 4 lol. Almost level 60.

I'm mopping the floor with the bosses, and all of the monsters that are in my way from point A -> B are ignoring me. I figure I could probably do about 10 hours of pure story content at this point to kinda "catch up".

Lovely game, really enjoying it.
Yeah just like pervious Xenoblade game, if you do lot of the side content you can easy overlevel the main story.

This is definitely my favourite Xenoblade game but I do wish this game had level down from the beginning like XCDE had.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Yeah just like pervious Xenoblade game, if you do lot of the side content you can easy overlevel the main story.

This is definitely my favourite Xenoblade game but I do wish this game had level down from the beginning like XCDE had.
I don't mind it so much, I'm actually enjoying being overleveled and doing stuff that my characters were obviously not supposed to be doing yet.

For those that beat the game - how much time did you have on the clock?

NanaMiku

Yeah that one I agree, it felt much more of Ghondor’s ascension quest more than Sena but I do like that we see more story behind Shania and her struggle and City has it own issues and politics.
For me, Shania story is kinda similar to Joran story so it overlapse for me. I'm kinda mad about Ghondor who didn't directly say to Shania to stop fighting/to replace her sister. She wait until Shania die to say it.

Danjin44

For those that beat the game - how much time did you have on the clock?
I did LOTS OF side quests, so when I beat the game and I checked my clock, it was 180 hours.
For me, Shania story is kinda similar to Joran story so it overlapse for me. I'm kinda mad about Ghondor who didn't directly say to Shania to stop fighting/to replace her sister. She wait until Shania die to say it.
Sure but unfortunately in world of Aionios be strong and able fight wars has more value than making art and Shania's mother made her felt like she was worthless. Ghondor definitely didn't helped but Shania downfall is by product of Aionios state and the politic behind the "Houses" in the City.

Last edited:

jshackles

I did LOTS OF side quests, so when I beat the game I checked my clock and it was 180 hours.
Thanks - that's what I figured. I've been doing every side quest thing that's been thrown at me so far, so I figured I was probably about a quarter of the way through at 45 hours.

Andyliini

Wow, the game finally hit the notes I always play Xenoblade for. But when it did, it did so wonderfully I'm in awe again. I'm talking about the end of chapter 5 and beginning of chapter 6. Many bosses and long cutscenes, but oh so rewarding ones.

I loved how much they played with my feelings again. The long cutscenes of suffering and desperation played beautifully to the bitter end. Seeing Mio being sent off, and the chapter ending right when N beheads totally broken Noah was a punch to the gut. I wanted to continue playing at that point, but I just couldn't. I needed some time off to think. Really, the whole long cutscene made me think how do they escape, ain't no one coming to the rescue? And in the end, no one came, but everyone was still saved by a somewhat divine intervention.

Man, I love this series.

Croga

Finished it last night (well the main story anyways lol), 135 hours total, really enjoyed it!
Saved after the ending, haven't gone back yet to load the save, assuming there is a post game anyways, will check out later.

Some quick overall thoughts, just on the main draws to the series for me:
  • I liked the cast, they were mostly well fleshed out characters. Everyone I think got a moment to shine at some point.
  • Combat is good, chain attacks are the best form of them the series has done, but overall I think I prefer Xenoblade 2 combat as a whole across the entire series.
  • Story was decent, not mind blowing stuff, but pretty good!

My own personal rankings:
Story: XC1 > XC2 / Torna > XC3 >>>>>>> XCX
Combat: XC2 > Torna > XC3 > XCX >>>>> XC1

Roll on Post Game and hopefully an expansion down the road as well!

Mitsurux

I'm about 40 hours in at chapter 6, I know Ive missed a few heros, and will be swinging back to a few past areas to see what I can find. Really enjoying everything so far. (Thanks for all the spoiler tags everyone). I'm trying not to reference any guides etc while playing.

Last edited:

Lasha

Come on, we got a real blue mage instead of limited job? Joking aside, my friends went crazy over the island santuary lol.
Heresy. BLU as a regular job would be nowhere near as interesting. All of the other DPS blend together.

On topic, I heard the English dub for the first time today and holy shit it sounds bad. Are the English dubs of XBC and XBC2 of similar quality?

Croga

I just finished, my god love this game so much, definitely my favourite Xenoblade game and I personally liked ending a lot.

Did NOT expect to see Poppi just jumps out and picture of Rex. Am I misunderstanding something here!? All those 3 children Mithra, Pyra and Nia are holding are from Rex!?

Ending Spoilers: This got me as well lol, Poppi was out of nowhere, I was wondering what that giant ether furnace looking thing was in the area when you initially met Nia but did NOT expect Poppi!

That photo though, Rex with the harem! He did say he loved them all, he clearly wasn't kidding lol :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Heresy. BLU as a regular job would be nowhere near as interesting. All of the other DPS blend together.
Currently BLU is the best job in FFXIV. All the other jobs are so dumbed down it's boring ass shit. The only other job that comes close is Fisher.

No reason why BLU can't do MSQ, PotD, Eureka, and what have you.

A lot of the elements in XC3 with Soulhacker are damn amazing what with the focus on Megamaning every Unique for not just skills but passive traits and those skills can be upgraded by either fighting a Unique x amount of times or just by using a skill over and over. Giving incentive to fight the same unique for better reward.

If they gave more incentives to play Masked Carnivale more and gave you ways to acquire boatloads more skills and you could acquire passives through killing the various "The Hunt" monsters in XIV not just in Overworld but places like PotD, Eureka then Blue Mage could be super special amazing.

And one thing that Blue Mage offers in XIV is build variety in selecting 24 spells and choosing 1 of 3 roles to play as with Healer, DPS or Tank.

The build Variety in XC3 is a lot better and you can take Soulhacker through the story if you want to.

All because Yoshi P is baby and Takahashi is adult with good battle design team.

RAWR.

Buggy Loop

Rex is a gigachad : confirmed
mvix3zr8t3g91.jpg

Lasha

Currently BLU is the best job in FFXIV. All the other jobs are so dumbed down it's boring ass shit. The only other job that comes close is Fisher.

No reason why BLU can't do MSQ, PotD, Eureka, and what have you.

A lot of the elements in XC3 with Soulhacker are damn amazing what with the focus on Megamaning every Unique for not just skills but passive traits and those skills can be upgraded by either fighting a Unique x amount of times or just by using a skill over and over. Giving incentive to fight the same unique for better reward.

If they gave more incentives to play Masked Carnivale more and gave you ways to acquire boatloads more skills and you could acquire passives through killing the various "The Hunt" monsters in XIV not just in Overworld but places like PotD, Eureka then Blue Mage could be super special amazing.

And one thing that Blue Mage offers in XIV is build variety in selecting 24 spells and choosing 1 of 3 roles to play as with Healer, DPS or Tank.

The build Variety in XC3 is a lot better and you can take Soulhacker through the story if you want to.

All because Yoshi P is baby and Takahashi is adult with good battle design team.

RAWR.

Nobody would play any other class if BLU was allowed to be a full class. BLU is too crazy. As a proud Morbol rider I am completely satisfied with the class. Doing all of the achievements was a solid challenge. Finding all of the skills was fun. The BLU community is a trip.

I only just unlocked soul hacker before bed. Definitely looking forward to it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Nobody would play any other class if BLU was allowed to be a full class. BLU is too crazy. As a proud Morbol rider I am completely satisfied with the class. Doing all of the achievements was a solid challenge. Finding all of the skills was fun. The BLU community is a trip.

I only just unlocked soul hacker before bed. Definitely looking forward to it.
I think that's because no other job class has much of an identity after all the work the XIV devs have put in to standardize every job to something overly simplified to where they all function the same. It goes against the grain.

Also Malediction of Water is the best spell in the game.

Soul Hacker is amazing and I'm sure you'll have a fun time. If it helps you if you level your job rank to 10 you can unlock a passive trait that lets you Soul Hack skills as any class by using a Master Art slot.

And there are lots of Skills to obtain. It's probably my favorite part of XC3.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Malediction of water? I'll look it up in the soulhack list. I'm playing through solo without guides or video tutorials so maybe that's why I never heard of it
That's a BLU spell in XIV. Soulhacker doesn't have that. Not sure if Soulhacher has an attack that causes blowdown for both enemies and allies.

jorgejjvr

Not the biggest fan of ALL the bosses being mobious and consuls

Dissapointing

Also, combat feels more repetitive than previous games

Last edited:

Jsisto

Does ANYONE have any clarity on what it takes to fully unlock maps? I’ve heard it’s just points of interest, camps and landmarks. But some have said unique monster tombstones as well. Something seems to be missing on my maps unless it’s hidden points of interest.

Does ANYONE have any clarity on what it takes to fully unlock maps? I’ve heard it’s just points of interest, camps and landmarks. But some have said unique monster tombstones as well. Something seems to be missing on my maps unless it’s hidden points of interest.
I don't know, sorry. Haven't fully unlocked any yet. Interested to hear too

Fuck the alphabet
What happens if you get 2 bag guys whose name starts with the same letter. Their whole operation would fall apart

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Some areas are secret area, UM tombstone only appears when you defeat them. I think you only need to fully explore the map. For me, the indication is when the character said they have go to many places when you open the map

Some areas are secret area, UM tombstone only appears when you defeat them. I think you only need to fully explore the map. For me, the indication is when the character said they have go to many places when you open the map
so there isn't like some fanfare or treasure when u completely fill a map?

Exentryk

Finished chapter 6 and it definitely wasn't as hype as the previous chapter's ending.

I don't really care for Joran and it was funny for the game trying the make me emotional. Probably a plot point that they didn't need to give so much importance.

The bulk of the chapter felt somewhat like a filler arc. I'll see how the game finishes, but I wonder if chapter 5 could have worked as the game's ending?

On the gameplay side, levelling up classes feels like a chore and you never really get to just use the party setup you want, as it seems wasteful to not be levelling up your new classes. This means I can't really enjoy the gameplay as much as I'd like. They should come up with a way to let the player be whatever class they want and still be able to level up the classes.

NanaMiku

On the gameplay side, levelling up classes feels like a chore and you never really get to just use the party setup you want, as it seems wasteful to not be levelling up your new classes. This means I can't really enjoy the gameplay as much as I'd like. They should come up with a way to let the player be whatever class they want and still be able to level up the classes.
If you want to level up faster, fight against stronger enemies. You can also spend silver nopon coins if you're too lazy to grind

Exentryk

If you want to level up faster, fight against stronger enemies. You can also spend silver nopon coins if you're too lazy to grind
Yeah, I'm aware of all the ways including overkilling which gives quite high CP. But as I mentioned, the main issue is not being able to play as the party you want for the majority of the game due to the current mechanics.

Top Bottom