• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

NanaMiku

Ill say it again, I really wish the hero characters were playable, and given some other unique ability(aside from just chain attacks) to make up for the lack of fusion arts and Ouroboros. A lot of them are such likable characters and I hate that they’re mostly just used to gain their class and not even customizable. If nothing else, it would be fun to explore the worle as them.
They gave the hero a little bit of flavor. If you visit each colony with each hero, they gave different commentary. For example, when you bring Juniper to Colony 9, she commented about she never see a colony with this many people.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
They gave the hero a little bit of flavor. If you visit each colony with each hero, they gave different commentary. For example, when you bring Juniper to Colony 9, she commented about she never see a colony with this many people.
Not to mention there are bunch of standard quests that involves the Heroes themselves, I’m honestly surprised how work they put in to the heroes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

drganon

Just finished ch5 and a little bit of ch6. Gotta say, that ending to 5 was something else. I mean that in a positive way, though. Overall, even though I haven't beaten it yet, this is my favorite of the trilogy. The only negative thing I have to say is a certain character whose name begins with g has a very annoying English voice actor.

Reactions: Isa
Just beat the gameI like the game a lot but not sure i like the ending, not a fan of downer ending. Essentially erasing thousand year of history and the people in the City essentially snapped away as time reseted to when Origin experiment got hijacked by Z. Like Noah ask, do they have the right to dictate their life and history. Mayhap that why certain group of history do not want to fight Mobius. There are so many unanswer question. Why does Riku have the sword of origin and decide to give it to Noah and why does Riku act like she knew Melia. What exactly happen in the ending... the world spilted apart again and the time reboot. What happen after? Wasn't it Nia and Melia idea to fuse the two world together during that ceremony?

Last edited:
Level 57 now chapter 5. I went all around the game rematching uniques to level up "that" class. It's pretty cool how you can sort the abilities list how you like in the menu and go through the lowest uniques to the highest, and look up/warp to their grave by name on the map. The list also helped me figure out I'd missed a couple of unique monsters. I'm trying to do/find everything myself on hard, and part of how I went about it was taking screenshots of higher level unique monsters so I can come back to them later. But it's better to actually go up to a high level unique monster and get killed because then they will be saved to this list, and you can look up them up there if you're trying to find every unique without guides like I am.

I can't believe how big chapter 5 is. Feels like I could go 100 hours exploring and doing things before I move on with the story.

I'm loving the game a lot rn

These chapter 5 classes are crazy. They seem like the kind of badass classes you would get in DLC. How are they gonna top these classes in the DLC now lol. Normally I would have thought it would be with fan favourite characters, but the shadow of that DLC character doesn't look like a known character to me. Another thing is, Gray already is the full metal jaguar class, so that means...no Elma, right? Her class is taken already

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Chapter 7, 55 hours and just finished the big scavenger hunt in the main quest.

Ridiculous how reviews complained about it when it takes you to plenty of new areas and has one of the best quests so far linked to it.

Don’t know how far I am from the end but so far I like it more than 2 and a bit less than 1. Let’s see how the last stretch goes.
The only negative thing I have to say is a certain character whose name begins with g has a very annoying English voice actor.
What’s weirder is that all other characters use words like snuff mudder etc to hide expletives except this one who is all « What’s up bitches? ». I thought it was funny but I’m glad she only had a small part in the story.

I just finished the game and I must say, it was an interesting time. The DLC will decide whether I like it more than 2. As of right now, I think Xeno 2 had the stronger cast and a story that was a little more fleshed out.

So for the pros: I really liked the characters, especially Sena and Lanz, unfortunately, they where probably the least developed couple. Their side stories were weak compared to the others. The gameplay and class system is the best in the series. I absolutely loved unlocking classes and mix/matching them to come up with game-breaking synergies. Now for the cons: Z was a boring antagonist. I was expecting a plot twist or more development for him and moebius, but it never happened. The ending felt like they were holding back for the DLC, which definitely soured the whole experience. N and M were kind of disappointing as well. The payoffs just weren't as strong as they were in Xeno 2, imo. The moral ambiguity with Noah and the others deciding the fates of the Moebius world and the two true worlds and whether they have the right to decide for everyone. It was ok, but Xeno 2 with Amalthus was far more interesting, imo.

Also, holy crap Rex banged Pyra, Mythra, and Nia. Three babies that all look to be the same age. Like sheesh, we get it! Kind of awesome, but also kind of weird. I dunno how to describe it, really. It made me laugh out loud when they showed the picture. How the hell do those three get along with sharing Rex lol. Also also, why did Mythra and Pyra become separate people? They are the same person as far as the story is concerned. Isn't Pneuma their true form anyways? Now they both are permanently separated and each have a Rex baby? I am so confused. It should have just been Pneuma. Poppi and Shulk's Monado showing up was awesome.

Riku and Queen Melia is a huge question mark. I am guessing Melia gave the blade to Riku in hopes of him finding someone to trust it with? Probably should have explained that a little bit more. They also kind of had a Last Jedi moment when they showed Noah throwing Lucky Seven into the ocean. Uhhh, why? Why did he do that? It didn't really make sense. I guess because it was a product of Origin? It didn't feel right.

Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot. If they nailed the ending, I think it would have surpassed Xeno 2, for me, but they kind of fumbled it.

I just finished the game and I must say, it was an interesting time. The DLC will decide whether I like it more than 2. As of right now, I think Xeno 2 had the stronger cast and a story that was a little more fleshed out.

So for the pros: I really liked the characters, especially Sena and Lanz, unfortunately, they where probably the least developed couple. Their side stories were weak compared to the others. The gameplay and class system is the best in the series. I absolutely loved unlocking classes and mix/matching them to come up with game-breaking synergies. Now for the cons: Z was a boring antagonist. I was expecting a plot twist or more development for him and moebius, but it never happened. The ending felt like they were holding back for the DLC, which definitely soured the whole experience. N and M were kind of disappointing as well. The payoffs just weren't as strong as they were in Xeno 2, imo. The moral ambiguity with Noah and the others deciding the fates of the Moebius world and the two true worlds and whether they have the right to decide for everyone. It was ok, but Xeno 2 with Amalthus was far more interesting, imo.

Also, holy crap Rex banged Pyra, Mythra, and Nia. Three babies that all look to be the same age. Like sheesh, we get it! Kind of awesome, but also kind of weird. I dunno how to describe it, really. It made me laugh out loud when they showed the picture. How the hell do those three get along with sharing Rex lol. Also also, why did Mythra and Pyra become separate people? They are the same person as far as the story is concerned. Isn't Pneuma their true form anyways? Now they both are permanently separated and each have a Rex baby? I am so confused. It should have just been Pneuma. Poppi and Shulk's Monado showing up was awesome.

Riku and Queen Melia is a huge question mark. I am guessing Melia gave the blade to Riku in hopes of him finding someone to trust it with? Probably should have explained that a little bit more. They also kind of had a Last Jedi moment when they showed Noah throwing Lucky Seven into the ocean. Uhhh, why? Why did he do that? It didn't really make sense. I guess because it was a product of Origin? It didn't feel right.

Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot. If they nailed the ending, I think it would have surpassed Xeno 2, for me, but they kind of fumbled it.
I agree, i felt like part of the story is missing or imcomplete. It is like they run out of money. The ending of chapter 5, begining of chpater 6 was so strong. Everything was good til they reach Nia. The origin metal quest was disappointing. Riku know more than he is letting out. I am not a super fan of the ending either, not a fan of downer ending. Noah mention himself do they have the right to erase thousand years of history of the City? I mean at chapter 5 they were so moved by new born, now they just erase infinite among of new born the past thousand of years. The final battle is great, all the hero you recuit join in the fight; but i got a feeling it was all the hero all at once, but spilt apart because i got switch limitation of unable ofg showing more than 10-11 character at once? I got a feelingn that the game originally was to save Nia and Melia and then a bit more story then final battle, not save Melia then final battle. I know it is post game content but Melia decide to go out for a walk while the fight is going on is a bit jaring. I cannot believe they made the pt say good bye, then the world rip apart(WTH happen to city and Taion tea recepit end up completely meaningless) and THEN reboot the timeline to the opening. Did the peopel in city know they existence will be erased after they beat mobius.... beginnign to understand the conservative faction. I mean ending war of Mobius is bad but i ain;t sure commiting essentially genocide is a much better option. Monicaagree but what about the fucking rest of the city?

Last edited:

Exentryk

Some of the writing in this game is really really good. And characters comment on that too, with saying stuff like "...that's deep", etc. That main music theme that plays for these moments is also very good and makes the moment that much more special.

On the gameplay side, I feel that unlocking classes and levelling them up is a little cumbersome. Because you need to have a working party, so don't want everyone to be a new attacker class that just unlocked. But then it feels like a waste.
Something that they could have done is let CP get banked (like EXP), and then let you use that for whichever classes you want. This would also let you enjoy the classes and party setup you want to play as, rather than some cobbled up Frankenstein party that needs CP and levelling. Another thing they could have done is let CP accumulate at level 10 in the background. So you're aren't losing progress when the eventual level 20 unlock happens. Games with classes have already done this in the past.

It's not all bad though. I do like how the classes remember you previous setups. Exploration feels great and the areas keep growing, lol.

NanaMiku

After uncapping the class, now I know how hard it is to level up the class lol. I just got the last hero on the snowy area. Can't unlock the class for each character because we got new heroes on streak

Danjin44

After uncapping the class, now I know how hard it is to level up the class lol. I just got the last hero on the snowy area. Can't unlock the class for each character because we got new heroes on streak
My advice go to areas like poison areas in forest and fight high level elite monsters with CP increase food to unlock classes for other characters faster.

Jsisto

Just finished, The ending felt rushed and incredibly confusing. I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and plan to continue playing for many hours doing the postgame stuff and possibly new game plus. But overall, I’d say this is my least favorite mainline Xenoblade, which I really wasn’t expecting to say. The main reason I love this series is story and world building, and I feel like they lost the plot about 3/4 of the way through and did not stick the landing at all.

Last edited:
Just finished, The ending felt rushed and incredibly confusing. I thoroughly enjoyed this game, and plan to continue playing for many hours doing the postgame stuff and possibly new game plus. But overall, I’d say this is my least favorite mainline Xenoblade, which I really wasn’t expecting to say. The main reason I love this series is story and world building, and I feel like they lost the plot about 3/4 of the way through and did not stick the landing at all.
I think of the same thing... it is like they lost the focus during chapter 6 after they save Nia. It is almost like they went out of money and do it like Xenogear with the chair in disc 2. To be fair, xenoblade 3 got the sit down movie theater.

Ma-Yuan

Just beat the gameI like the game a lot but not sure i like the ending, not a fan of downer ending. Essentially erasing thousand year of history and the people in the City essentially snapped away as time reseted to when Origin experiment got hijacked by Z. Like Noah ask, do they have the right to dictate their life and history. Mayhap that why certain group of history do not want to fight Mobius. There are so many unanswer question. Why does Riku have the sword of origin and decide to give it to Noah and why does Riku act like she knew Melia. What exactly happen in the ending... the world spilted apart again and the time reboot. What happen after? Wasn't it Nia and Melia idea to fuse the two world together during that ceremony?

I agree, i felt like part of the story is missing or imcomplete. It is like they run out of money. The ending of chapter 5, begining of chpater 6 was so strong. Everything was good til they reach Nia. The origin metal quest was disappointing. Riku know more than he is letting out. I am not a super fan of the ending either, not a fan of downer ending. Noah mention himself do they have the right to erase thousand years of history of the City? I mean at chapter 5 they were so moved by new born, now they just erase infinite among of new born the past thousand of years. The final battle is great, all the hero you recuit join in the fight; but i got a feeling it was all the hero all at once, but spilt apart because i got switch limitation of unable ofg showing more than 10-11 character at once? I got a feelingn that the game originally was to save Nia and Melia and then a bit more story then final battle, not save Melia then final battle. I know it is post game content but Melia decide to go out for a walk while the fight is going on is a bit jaring. I cannot believe they made the pt say good bye, then the world rip apart(WTH happen to city and Taion tea recepit end up completely meaningless) and THEN reboot the timeline to the opening. Did the peopel in city know they existence will be erased after they beat mobius.... beginnign to understand the conservative faction. I mean ending war of Mobius is bad but i ain;t sure commiting essentially genocide is a much better option. Monicaagree but what about the fucking rest of the city?
Happy I am not alone with not being satisfied with the ending. I really hope the dlc salvage it for me.

NanaMiku

Btw, this is from the new Saint's Row reboot:

300838666_10159192782097979_6092650449185767966_n.jpg

Yeah, that is true. I didn't really think about the implication of what would happen to the people in the City when Noah and the gang decided to delete the Moebius world. Now I am even more conflicted about the ending. Now that I have had some time to think about the story, I am starting to see how they rushed the ending. Finding the metal shards for the ship was terribly boring. No story progression either. Just fast travel to random points on the map and gather them. Then you just jump on the boat for the final fight. Seems like there should have been more time for Queen Melia and Nia to further expand the story and maybe add another decent plot twist to Moebius. But they didn't do anything. Z is the selfish and evil desires of human beings. That is it. No nuance, no interesting antagonist, just must kill big bad guy. Even when they confronted him about why he revived certain characters like Joran he just said, "Because it was amusing." What? Really? That is it? So boring! Like I said before, Amalthus and Malos were far more interesting.

Yeah, that is true. I didn't really think about the implication of what would happen to the people in the City when Noah and the gang decided to delete the Moebius world. Now I am even more conflicted about the ending. Now that I have had some time to think about the story, I am starting to see how they rushed the ending. Finding the metal shards for the ship was terribly boring. No story progression either. Just fast travel to random points on the map and gather them. Then you just jump on the boat for the final fight. Seems like there should have been more time for Queen Melia and Nia to further expand the story and maybe add another decent plot twist to Moebius. But they didn't do anything. Z is the selfish and evil desires of human beings. That is it. No nuance, no interesting antagonist, just must kill big bad guy. Even when they confronted him about why he revived certain characters like Joran he just said, "Because it was amusing." What? Really? That is it? So boring! Like I said before, Amalthus and Malos were far more interesting.
I mean the final shard and vs Cry was good. That made tossing out the origin sword completely meaningless too beside to look cool. I meant Z is kind of like the wave existent that react and exist due to emotion of mankind, which is fine. I was hoping there is some kind of twist like in Xenosaga 3 where Whihelm wish for eternal occurance to ensure humankind survive but willing to step aside when the heros show their worth. You know, kind of like the idea that people wished for Death in persona 3.

Jsisto

Is it just me or do computer controlled defenders seem to have a far easier time holding aggro? I’ve experimented switching from one defender to another and almost immediately seem to lose it back and forth, as if there’s some kind of built in aggro buff for the AI.

Danjin44

Is it just me or do computer controlled defenders seem to have a far easier time holding aggro? I’ve experimented switching from one defender to another and almost immediately seem to lose it back and forth, as if there’s some kind of built in aggro buff for the AI.
I think that was also the case with Xenoblade 2, the AI did much better job keeping Aggro. AI in XC1 the only one who couldn't properly keep aggro.

Last edited:

Jsisto

Some thoughts on this game as a whole…
I don’t think this game will age nearly as well as the previous 2, and I think it is the weakest Xenoblade. As the euphoria of playing a new Xenoblade wore off, i began to notice a lot of shortcomings and I genuinely think this game went through a troubled/rushed development cycle.

I can’t really name any area of this game that evoked the same feelings of wonder as say…Uraya, Satorl Marsh, the Leftherian Archipelago, Makna Forest, the list goes on. And I realize that this is partly due to the setting, but there are no sprawling towns to explore. Colony 9(original game)was beautiful, had a homey feel and lots of things to explore. The towns in Xenoblade 2 really took that up a notch and were mostly breathtaking, Uraya, Mor Adrain and Gormott as standouts that immediately come to mind. Nothing in this game seems inspired. The castles are a joke, and the city, while nicer than any of the colonies, hardly lives up to the standard of a Xenoblade town and makes absolutely no sense in the way it is set up. With some minor exceptions, the world just feels what it is portrayed as, certain areas from the first two games glued together with no inspiration behind it.

Bringing back the ether mines was cool, but thats pretty much where dungeon like locations end, which I always enjoyed. No Galahad fortress, High Entia tomb, Spirit Crucible Elpys, Morytha, and absolutely nothing on the scale of Prison Island or The World tree. Origin felt like the most generic, uninspired final area possible.

The music, while good with some standout tracks, was not particularly memorable and I don’t find myself stuck on anything other than the main flute theme, which is beautiful, I gotta say.

The combat and class system felt very jumbled and misdirected. They crafted a class system where characters are encouraged to take specific roles in battle, but then also encouraged to frequently change classes/equipment as often as possible? These two things do not mesh well at all. Admittedly, I will enjoy a new game plus a lot more as I’ll have all of this unlocked to play around with, but my initial run felt chaotic as I felt pushed by the game to master classes that i would probably get very little benefit out of in the long run, just for the sake of it.

Moving on to the story, it started off quite strong, but the cycle of “liberate colony/fight over the top cartoon villain consul/unlock commander hero/how can we help the colony people?” felt incredibly stale and predictable by the tenth time and I just wanted to be done with it and progress the story. Perhaps that’s the problem, they spent most of the development time on these heroes/side content. Major plot points feel rushed over and poorly explained, and by the end of the game I barely even know what I was fighting against. Z in particular feels Like such a missed opportunity….oh and the ending quite literally invalidated nearly everything you did and erased an entire group of people important to the story from existence. I get what they were going for, but it does not leave one with a positive last impression. And the greatest sin of all…a fan art quality drawing of Rex creepily hovering over his harem of female leads from 2 that he impregnated? Do you know how hard the Xenoblade 2 fans worked to convince people that it wasn’t a creepy harem anime game and this is the thanks they get? Lmao

That’s about all I want to say for now….to be clear, again, I really enjoyed this game for what it was and am definitely enjoying the post game, but it failed to reach the lofty heights set by its predecessors. It almost felt like Monolith just ran out of inspiration and wanted to be done with this series.

Last edited:
yeah I feel like I'm better than the AI at attacking and healing, but not defending

Buggy Loop

Chapter 5 hero spoiler

Did I just unlock Xenoblade’s Blue mage equivalent with the soul hacker class if I understood correctly? OMG

Danjin44

I'm still Ch 7 exploring, my fucking god this game, so much to do. For my taste this is definitely my favourite Xenoblade game.

Edit: Also finally seeing Nia's face in XC3 visual style kind of made emotional.

Last edited:
I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Monolith made this game with Yuzu in mind not the Switch...

Xenoblade deserves better hardware.

Chukhopops

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that Monolith made this game with Yuzu in mind not the Switch...

Xenoblade deserves better hardware.
I’m sure they built it for emulators which don’t bring them or Nintendo any money…
Finished chapter 5.
I had goosebumps, and it was one of the best gaming moments ever.
Absolutely beautiful!
Agreed, best part of the story and one of the most emotional twists in recent history.

Some of the writing in this game is really really good. And characters comment on that too, with saying stuff like "...that's deep", etc. That main music theme that plays for these moments is also very good and makes the moment that much more special.

On the gameplay side, I feel that unlocking classes and levelling them up is a little cumbersome. Because you need to have a working party, so don't want everyone to be a new attacker class that just unlocked. But then it feels like a waste.
Something that they could have done is let CP get banked (like EXP), and then let you use that for whichever classes you want. This would also let you enjoy the classes and party setup you want to play as, rather than some cobbled up Frankenstein party that needs CP and levelling. Another thing they could have done is let CP accumulate at level 10 in the background. So you're aren't losing progress when the eventual level 20 unlock happens. Games with classes have already done this in the past.

It's not all bad though. I do like how the classes remember you previous setups. Exploration feels great and the areas keep growing, lol.
You can buy levels with Nopon coins. Which is at least something

I'm 40 hours in, arrived at Keves Castle, finished the Hero quest there, and...I would guess nearing end of Ch 4? I keep hearing about how there's so much to do and the game is so massive. My issue is I'm 40 hours in, and i keep exhasuting the side content for the areas I've unlocked, and I feel like there must be like some seriously gigantic megaton areas left that I haven't unlocked yet, because otherwise I am not seeing how this is gonna be over a 100+ hour game for side content + main story. I've complete all Standard quests and Hero quests that are near or below my level (at level 42 right now), about to embark into Keves Castle. Am I missing something? Or am I just like not at a point in the game where I have access to the majority of the explorable area of the game?

Jsisto

Just did Monica’s ascension quest…

Jansen has balls of steel. Confessing his love to the highest ranking person in the city who has to be at least 10 years his senior, a mom, and also a widow. What a legend.

Just did Monica’s ascension quest…

Jansen has balls of steel. Confessing his love to the highest ranking person in the city who has to be at least 10 years his senior, a mom, and also a widow. What a legend.
In case you forget, his death brother was also Monica's dead husband.

I'm 40 hours in, arrived at Keves Castle, finished the Hero quest there, and...I would guess nearing end of Ch 4? I keep hearing about how there's so much to do and the game is so massive. My issue is I'm 40 hours in, and i keep exhasuting the side content for the areas I've unlocked, and I feel like there must be like some seriously gigantic megaton areas left that I haven't unlocked yet, because otherwise I am not seeing how this is gonna be over a 100+ hour game for side content + main story. I've complete all Standard quests and Hero quests that are near or below my level (at level 42 right now), about to embark into Keves Castle. Am I missing something? Or am I just like not at a point in the game where I have access to the majority of the explorable area of the game?
Next step will REALLY open up, you are still on your objective, castle was a side track.

NanaMiku

Have you open Dannagh Desert? It's in Fornis Region before the Keves Castle. If you only follow the side quest only, you still haven't open all the map of the region. You need to explore on your own to open it. At chapter 4 my playtime is already 80 hours.

Have you open Dannagh Desert? It's in Fornis Region before the Keves Castle. If you only follow the side quest only, you still haven't open all the map of the region. You need to explore on your own to open it. At chapter 4 my playtime is already 80 hours.
I did all of dannagh desert and the desert ferronis. And the cave with the mechanical doors

I made it to chapter 6 and it's going pretty great. I can't tell if this is near the end of the story or halfway through the story. But the level 20 class sidequests are starting to pop-up so I can't be less than halfway.

Spoilers for character costume Mio's new outfit is really cool!

I found 3 awesome accessories called Legacy of the seven items in special chests. Gonna take my time and poke around for what I hope is 4 more like this. Unfortunately I'm overleveled for pretty much everything I find.

Enjoying the game a lot though I do have some misgivings. It's awesome tho. Probably gonna be insane once all the DLC is added with challenge modes and crazy new classes.

Madflavor

Lost interest in game in early Chapter 4. Putting it down for now to play FFXIV 6.2

The gameplay is what's killing it for me. I'm only able to play the game for an hour or so before I gotta take a break because I get restless. I really don't like the Class System, the Combat or the Exploration. I'm hoping when I return to the game it'll click with me better, but for now I'm just not having fun.

Chukhopops

Finally finished it, just under 70 hours.

The whole final part and the ending were just perfect in every way imo. What a way to conclude not just the game, but the entire trilogy (I know there’s X too but it doesn’t seem to fit the canon of the rest of the series). It would be an obvious GOTY if it wasn’t for Elden Ring.

XC3 = XC1 > XC2 imo.

ranmafan

I can finally join the I beat the game group! For me I played about 120 hours and did almost every quest and side quest available. What a game! That final ending as well as the ending of chapter 5/start of chapter 6 will go down as two of my favorite scenes in JRPGs. Just so magical and so emotional too. The music was so perfect and I can’t wait to get a soundtrack for it. The game was full of so many positives and very few negatives. Just a pleasure to play. Not sure where I will place the game on my goty list this year, I need more time to think it over, but it’s certainly top two easily. I really didn’t want the adventure to end. What a great game!

Top Bottom