• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 |OT| To Guide The Dead is My Lot

noqtic

Finished the game yesterday and the worst part about it is that I was pushing myself to beat the game because I was burnt out by the end. I don't know what to think of this Xenoblade in particular, I usually have a clear idea of whether I enjoyed a game but I'm torn on how much of my actual playthrough I enjoyed.
I have about 170hours for my first playthrough (50 or so of those hours were spent on youtube, cooking, and running errands).

Pros:
- Main story is intriguing, it loses steam come Chapter 5 for me
- Battle system can be really fun and has a lot of depth when it clicks and you're willing to put the time in.
- side quests are well integrated and most don't just feel like busy work, with some absolute gems mixed in
- Side quests and most characters are well written and it does an excellent job of making the game world feel more cohesive
- Music is great as always (battle theme gets old after awhile) shout out to the ocean battle music.
- many annoyances from XB2,DE, and X have been streamlined, (good bye field talents blocking off exploration)
- when you're standing still over a vista and the tech kicks in the game can look absolutely gorgeous at times

Mixed views:
- Xenoblade X excluded, this is the weakest main cast to me, not to say they were awful but none of the characters were endearing to me, I feel like they could have done so much more to give depth to Noah and Mio's relationship (and really drive home the ending of chapter 5)
- Hero system is cool and there are some fun classes, still prefer the Blade system from 2 minus the gacha mechanics. having to level up each class for each character especially if you want to transfer over skills becomes more tedious than fun, (Nopon coins are a nice fix but you'll needs hundreds of them to level up the classes for just one character)
- The battle system is leaning even more heavily into MMO territory, think
- Ourobors and Chain attacks are OP, you dont have to use them if you dont want
- Aionios as a location is not as visually striking as XB2 and Definitive Edition, in a way, it reminds me more of X with its militaristic style, environments are more brown, darker, rocky, character designs are kind of bland (I hate that most costumes are mostly overcoats that go on top of the already bland starter outfit)
- The world is big but it lacks the exploration and discovery aspects Breath of Wild, there are a lot of markers on the map but not enough gameplay variety, most quests are still going to boil down to go grab this item for me or defeat this monster
- For all the Nopon caravans and merchants I dont remember ever feeling like they had anything I wanted or needed.

Cons:
- Z, X, Y, and the rest of moebius were bland antagonists
- The writing is very heavy handed, they practically beat you over the head with its themes of choice, having the courage to face the future, you're true enemy is yourself.
There are certain reunions and conflicts in the main plot that get resolved way too quickly, which is odd for an otherwise dialogue heavy, long winded game
- When that tech isn't kicking in this game can look like complete ass!
- FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WHY ARE THERE SO MANY ITEMS IN THESE GAMES! THEY COULD GET RID OF 80% AND IT WOULD CHANGE NOTHING. Is there a secret item lore/description page that I'm missing that would give value to all these random items, or do they have a random name generator that they just
use until they hit their quota......dont even get me started on the varying rarity levels for these pointless items (this is a problem with all the games that still isnt fixed)
- I spent a hell of a lot of time in the menus micromanaging my characters instead of just playing
- I hate boating around Cadensia
- Losing in the final battle and having to start over again, not being able to skip the cutscenes is torture. (tried about 7 tiimes on hard mode, would be doing great until we pop out of a cutscene and Z all of a sudden wants to one shot my healers.

Personal con of mine I feel Monolith was so focused on the character interactions that the world building took a bit of a backseat. In XB1, 2, the world is a prominent part of the story almost to the point where you can call them characters as well. Not so much in XB3 Aionios is just the place where the story takes place, maybe that was more intentional from the
devs since Aionios doesn't really exists(?)

edit - I forgot about the City that did add some depth to the world and history of Aionios

Last edited:

Ezquimacore

Banned
j3GcdlD.jpg

NanaMiku

I just reached Origin and freed Melia. I have question, right now the only colony that the affinity is not maxed are Agnus Castle. Is it possible to max it before the final boss without the collectopedia card? Currently only have 4 people that I can give collectopedia card and each only increase 20 points, too slow to max it. Are there any new quest in Agnus Castle? between my point of gameplay until the final boss? I already done all the available quest right now.

Btw, I just realized that the Cadensia map is automatically filled when you explored all the islands. I tought I need to open the sea area manually like in Eryth Sea in Xenoblade 1

Eevee86

I just reached Origin and freed Melia. I have question, right now the only colony that the affinity is not maxed are Agnus Castle. Is it possible to max it before the final boss without the collectopedia card? Currently only have 4 people that I can give collectopedia card and each only increase 20 points, too slow to max it. Are there any new quest in Agnus Castle? between my point of gameplay until the final boss? I already done all the available quest right now.

Btw, I just realized that the Cadensia map is automatically filled when you explored all the islands. I tought I need to open the sea area manually like in Eryth Sea in Xenoblade 1
Don't think so. There's a few quests that unlock after you beat the game.

Go_Ly_Dow

Finally beat it. Xenoblade 2 overall was better. The ending was weak as fuck.

Nah this is a shit ton better than Xenoblade 2.

Completed it last night and easily the best in the series, followed by 1 and then 2. One of my favourite JRPG's ever and I hope this isn't the last of the series.

Last edited:
Nah this is a shit ton better than Xenoblade 3.

Completed it last night and easily the best in the series, followed by 1 and then 2. One of my favourite JRPG's ever and I hope this isn't the last of the series.
You mean to say this one XC3 is the best rite

I'm really far and enjoying it a lot but I also am feeling some doubts

Too early for a verdict there's still a lot to see

I just met a shady Nopon trader named "Wheelideali"

Go_Ly_Dow

You mean to say this one XC3 is the best rite

I'm really far and enjoying it a lot but I also am feeling some doubts

Too early for a verdict there's still a lot to see

I just met a shady Nopon trader named "Wheelideali"
Woops yeah XC3 is my fav in the series and in my top 5 games of all time. I'd say what the devs acheived feels to me on the same magnitude as the PS1 era JRPGs such as FF7 and Chrono Cross.

-Despite not the most cutting edge tech, one of the most unique and beautifully designed game words that really pushed the hardware. I feel this is the pinnacle of a narrative driven JRPG set in something akin to an open world.
-A great amount of optional content that feels far more rewarding and less repetitive than XC1 and XC2
-Incredible soundtrack, like over 250 tracks, the flute based themes are gorgeous
-Best battle system, customisations and depth in the series
-Characters more fleshed out than XC1 and more palatable and likeable than XC2
-Certain story themes such concepts about creation, existence and humans desires that seem missing from a lot of modern games

Really feels like the celebration of XC1 and XC2, whilst building upon both games to deliver something that's both an amazing standalone game and a worthy sequel.

Last edited:
70 hours in, just finished Chapter 5. Jeeeeeezus.. Almost 3 hours of cutscenes... Unfortunately most of it are black loading screens for minutes Arggghhhhhhh so annoying.

Other than that, it was great. But it was in this chapter that I noticed some weak points.

The english voices for that Mu colony of mostly young people was annoying as all, also the voice for Ghandor... Collision for the boat also sucks a bit. Other than that, quite a nice surprise in the story indeed. Was expecting the other Mia to either intervene before everything happening or replacing Mia after she was gone, but not actually...switching places with her. Really caught by surprise there. This is really a slow burner for me. Don't find the characters as interesting as in X1 or X2, but they slowly grow on you. And the overall theme...damn talk about dark here. From the start. And I haven't even started to properly explore the characters in terms of what masters arts + classes combinations, combos and all that stuff...Even less for the Ouroboros forms... I'm at level 69 which lets me bypass almost all fights and creatures, no complains here, don't really want to waste time fighting small fry.

What a game...

NanaMiku

I guess I'm one of the few people who liked the ending.
I enjoy the ending, but the climax is not as high as 2 for me. "

Rating for me:
Combat: 3>2>1>X
Story: 3>2>X>1
Music: 2>3>X>1
Protagonist: 3>2>1>X
Antagonist: 2>1>3>X
Overall system (Gem/Blades/Equipment/gathering/etc): 3>X>2>1
Visual: 2=1>3>X
Exploration: X>3>1>2

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoy the ending, but the climax is not as high as 2 for me. "

Rating for me:
Combat: 3>2>1>X
Story: 3>2>X>1
Music: 2>3>X>1
Protagonist: 3>2>1>X
Antagonist: 2>1>3>X
Overall system (Gem/Blades/Equipment/gathering/etc): 3>X>2>1
Visual: 2=1>3>X
Exploration: X>3>1>2
I definitely agree that Antagonists is no where near as good as Malos and Jin.

NanaMiku

I definitely agree that Antagonists is no where near as good as Malos and Jin.
For me, the problem with the antagonists in 3 is there are too many and not all their motive/story is clear. We saw D and X as the important ones, standing beside Z when Nia explain about Moebius. But we got only D's story. We saw X's face, even she was one of the last Moebius we fought. But we don't know anything about her.

Btw, pretty nice rest spot interaction compilation. I'm not patient enough too see all the interaction in game lol

Last edited:

Danjin44

We saw X's face, even she was one of the last Moebius we fought. But we don't know anything about her.
I think because just like Z, she was “true“ Moebius and I bet she was created same way, she even has same type of scar on her face. D in other hand is just like J, they were normal soldiers turned in to Moebius.

Mitsurux

Completed the Main Story at just under 60 hours, now going back and getting some of the Hero's i missed and doing some quests and exploring sections of the map and were blank. Had a great time with this game. (Debating about getting the expansion content...)

Mister Wolf

I just beat it. 2 is still my favorite. I enjoyed the story and combat the most in 2. I didn't care for the villains in this at all. 3 is a better game than Xenoblade 1 in everything but the villains.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

I just beat it. 2 is still my favorite. I enjoyed the story and combat the most in 2. I didn't care for the villains in this at all. 3 is a better game than Xenoblade 1 in everything but the villains.
I LOOOOVE Xenoblade 2, but there are moments Xenoblade 3 that just got me and made Xenoblade 3 my favourite Xeno game in the series.

Also be sure to do the two secret Hero Quests in post game.

Andyliini

125 hours in, doing yet more sidequests in chapter 7. They seem to pop up quite often, and I still feel like I'm missing something, since not all my heroes still have their ascension quests available and I feel like I'm getting close to the end.

I'm still having fun, but there really is so much to do. My GOTY, no questions asked.

NanaMiku

The hero needs to be at Rank 10 and also you need to have that hero in your party to see their quests show up.
Someone also said that you can check the ascension quest location on the heroes page, if you have trouble finding the quest location. Can't confirmed it since I already ascended all my heroes

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
On chapter 3, and this is easily my favorite Xenoblade game so far. Virtually all of my complaints from the previous two mainline titles have been addressed, and the game is just so polished compared to XC2.

• Combat is great so far, and the addition of heroes + being able to switch characters mid battle makes this game a lot more dynamic and a lot less repetitive than the previous games
    • Granted, although I didn't do all of the side content in XC1 and XC2 -- I basically had the same exact game plan in every single battle, even on the hardest bosses. Hope XC3 doesn't devolve into this by the end.
  • Exploration is top notch, and the level designs are much better and much less confusing than XC2. Plus, the cues and rewards for exploration seem to be a lot more satisfying IMO. Lots of games have random "collect-athon" items hidden across open worlds... But the husk / sending system, as simple as it is, adds narrative weight and purpose to this. I go out of my way to send every husk I find.
  • Holy shit the side quests / optional content in this game is JUST AS GOOD as the main story. The heroes and colonies are MUCH more engaging than any of the side quests in XC2 (XC1 is a write-off) -- even including blade quests.
  • Love the narrative so far, and am very intrigued about the world
  • Writing and dialogue is much better than XC2 and XC1 in my opinion. It's like they finally let the adults into the writing room. I haven't had a single cringey moment so far. Hope that stays true.
  • I absolutely love the tone and direction of the game -- everything from art style, to music, to writing, to gameplay, to thematic elements. It all just clicks with me. I have a very deep connection to this world and these characters, and I barely just started.
  • The gameplay loop is the best of the series so far. There were many elements of previous titles that I felt were either a complete chore at worst and padding at best. Everything in this game feels much more purposeful and satisfying.
  • I don't think anyone will disagree with me about the UI / UX. XC2 and XC1 had horrendous UIs and terrible, annoying, no-good quality of life quirks that annoyed the living shit out of me. I haven't run into any with XC3 yet. Everything just makes sense, and I'm focused on pure gameplay instead of constantly navigating menus.
I hope none of these things change, and I'm aware I have a long way to go. But god damn, this game is shaping up to be a masterpiece.

Exentryk

Finished the game. I felt the chapters after 5 just went downhill. The main villain was poor, and the boss of chapter 5 just works a lot better. Other than that, the game also was a little too long, with some needless filler.

The good stuff is the writing, the music and the exploration. I enjoyed my 150+ hours overall. Don't think I'll bother with going back in to finish off the loose ends. XB1 is still my favourite overall from the three games (didn't play X).

Anyway, see you in XB4!

Top Bottom