• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
Xenoblade%20Chronicles%203%20Switch%20ganha%20trailer%20de%208%20minutos.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Platforms:
  • Nintendo Switch (July 29, 2022)
Trailers:
Publisher: Nintendo, Nintendo of America Inc.

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 87% - 100% Recommended

eZPz8PE.jpg

Metacritic - 89/100

xrkieN0.jpg

Review Scores:

VGC - 5/5

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 continues Switch's incredible JRPG run with sweetness, sincerity and style.

Cerealkillerz - Nick Erlenhof - German - 9.1 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is imposing, takes itself seriously and is simply fun. The story stands on its own and is therefore also very suitable for newcomers. The characters grow on you and are surprisingly realistic. There are tons of activities and completionists will again have over 100 hours to look forward to. Everyone else will enjoy what might be the best role-playing game for the Switch this year.

ComicBook.com - Christian Hoffer - 4 / 5
While I've joked while playing that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was a great series of cutscenes with some fighting in between, the game gets away with its glut of cutaways because the story is quite good. Sure, people can see some of the twists coming from a mile away, but the core mystery is so intriguing and weird that you really want to keep playing to figure out just what the heck is going on.

Console Creatures - Recommended
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 delivers one of the best games the series has ever offered to players and thrusts you into a volatile world paired filled with excellent writing and characters.

Dexerto - Lloyd Coombes - 8.5 / 10
Small foibles aside, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 might just be the Switch's prettiest and grandest game of 2022. With a deep combat system and surprisingly effective story, along with quality of life improvements over the prior game, it's a true spectacle whether you're playing in handheld mode or docked. It really is a must-buy for JRPG fans.

Digitally Downloaded - Matt Sainsbury - 4.5 / 5
Quote not yet available

Enternity.gr - Pavlos Papapavlou - Greek - 7.5 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is easily one of the best JRPGs of 2022, even though it comes with some serious issues, which the hardware may be to blame for.

Eurogamer - Martin Robinson - Essential
Monolith Soft closes out its loosely connected trilogy of epic RPGs with its most adaptable, malleable and high-spirited adventure yet.

GameSpot - Jacob Dekker - 8 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is another heartfelt adventure paired with some of the best combat in the series.

IGN - Travis Northup - 8 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 can take some meandering detours across its massive 150-hour campaign, but great characters and addictive tactical combat make it all well worth the time.

Metro GameCentral - Michael Beckwith - 9 / 10
Another major success for Monolith Soft; Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a contender for the Nintendo Switch's best role-playing game and one of its most impressive technical achievements.

NintendoWorldReport - John Rairdin - 9 / 10
Regardless of how you came to Xenoblade, either through one of many incarnations of the original, or through its sequel, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 strives to satiate all audiences and it is largely successful in this endeavor while also presenting something entirely new. This is not just Xenoblade meets Xenoblade 2. In many ways it is greater than the sum of its parts and those parts already added up to quite a bit.

PCMag - Will Greenwald - 3.5 / 5
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a massive JRPG with a unique story and deep combat that's tempered by all-too-familiar gameplay mechanics.

RPG Site - Josh Torres, Adam Vitale - 10 / 10
Between an exceptionally well-written cast, a deeply satisfying combat system, and an amazing adventure that remarkably earns its very long run time, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a JRPG masterpiece.

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 8 / 10
My time with Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was overwhelmingly positive. I've clocked a hundred hours at this stage, with the main story completed and PLENTY of side content still to go. If you want a big, meaty RPG to dedicate plenty of time, this game's the one. But remember, soldiers only have ten years on the battlefield – and you might need that whole decade to see everything Aionios has to offer.

The Independent - Jasper Pickering - 9 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is the strongest entry into the series yet, while simultaneously managing to bridge the themes and mechanics of the first two games in a meaningful way. Even after the credits roll close to the 60-hour mark, each of the character's personal journeys are fulfilling and memorable, while contending with heavier subject matter than the series has been known for.

TrustedReviews - Ryan Jones - 4 / 5
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is a great action RPG with an outstanding story. The characters are likeable with engaging arcs, while the cut scenes offer jaw-dropping spectacle.

Twinfinite - Omar Banat - 4.5 / 5
Quote not yet available

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 9.1 / 10
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 continues the series' grand-scale story-telling in a masterful way. With its endearing cast of characters, awe-inspiring sense of exploration, and a soundtrack that will blow you away, this is yet another top-notch offering from Monolith Soft.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
That Greek review from Eternity has the wrong score for some reason. It's an 8 on their website (I tend to read low scores than high). Also looks like a pretty big game, which isn't surprising, but the tedium seems to be there as well. Definitely waiting for the DF review (or maybe longer; can't find my Switch) but looks like it'll be a good palette cleanser.

Sounds good. I’m working my way through the first game currently (chapter 8 and 15 hours). I may give myself a bit of a break before jumping on this though. I’m not sure I can handle well over 100 hours of JRPG all at once!

Freeman76

I always hoped they would do a mp aspect like PSO as it always reminds of playing on gamecube for some reason

SCB3

I still need to go and finish 2 (and actually play 1) so its good to see that this seems to be getting good reviews for if I do ever get around to it (are 1 and 2 linked or is it a DQ/ final Fantasy thing)

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The movie "Rudy". American football movie. Really good.
Is that the one with Sean Aston? Cool. I will have to watch that.

Though I doubt I will ever play this game. Well done for getting great scores. Nintendolife gave it 10/10.

(I am not really a fan of these type of games, switch owner. Appreciate the care and love put into the game. Just not my Jam, not here to shit on the game.. again well done for the great scores. Game looks immense and incredible)

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Honestly a little higher than I expected. Damn good.

My copy has been pre-ordered for a while, but I wont be able to start it this week. Looks great though.

I'm always going to financially support first party making large JRPGs. Basically only Nintendo doing it.

Can't forget Namco. I played the hell out of Tales Of Arise.

Topher

Gold Member
Is that the one with Sean Aston? Cool. I will have to watch that.

Yeah, that's the one. True story too. More about Rudy's personal journey than football really, but probably one of my favorites sports-related movies.

Though I doubt I will ever play this game. Well done for getting great scores. Nintendolife gave it 10/10.

(I am not really a fan of these type of games, switch owner. Appreciate the care and love put into the game. Just not my Jam, not here to shit on the game.. again well done for the great scores. Game looks immense and incredible)

I tried XB 2 on Switch and it wasn't my kind of game, but glad fans of the series are getting another great game.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah, that's the one. True story too. More about Rudy's personal journey than football really, but probably one of my favorites sports-related movies.

I tried XB 2 on Switch and it wasn't my kind of game, but glad fans of the series are getting another great game.
Played the original on the Wii. Was a great looking game. Really epic. But wasn’t for me.

jaysius

Banned
IGN really hated the game but still gave it an 8.

It’s also unfortunate that, although Xenoblade 3’s environments are awesome to roam around in, they rarely look pretty due to the Nintendo Switch being pushed to its absolute limits by such an ambitious voyage.
Another major gripe I’ve always had with the series that continues to be a problem in Xenoblade 3 is how characters still shout the same lines over and over again, with no reprieve. I must have heard Eunie say “Hear that, Noah? Lanz wants something a bit meatier,” well over 500 times during my playthrough
Boss fights are also a bit underwhelming, as you fight a lot of the same class of boss enemies who rarely have anything to differentiate them from one another. They really like throwing big purple humanoid demon creatures at you, for example, which gets quite old pretty fast. They’re also fans of making you fight the same boss twice in a row, with cutscenes serving as bookends between each encounter. And don’t even get me started on the numerous times you defeat a boss only to immediately enter a cutscene wherein the boss defeats you.
Add in some severe pacing problems, like one section that has you go undercover to perform menial tasks, or another that has you trotting across the world to collect pieces of metal, and I often felt like my time wasn’t being respected with so much filler padding out the adventure.

All of those things add up to far less than an 8.

Rykan

Is there any (Video) review that goes into detail about the games handheld mode performance? This was a bit of an issue in the previous two games.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I kinda doubt it’s 150 hours. That must be idle time, side quests, grinding misc things here and there. They’re lengthy games, but I think that review should have detailed what all they did. Not everyone wants to do every quest they come across.

Fbh

Fuckl
I was really looking forward to this but I've now read multiple review stating it takes around a 100 hours. That's a skip.
I'm so fucking tired of bloated JRPG's.

Top Bottom