• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 | Review Thread

Fbh

This was the case with every Xenoblade game, what did you expect?
Nah.
Xenoblade 1 took me around 60 hours and 2 took me around 65 hours to beat and that was already stretching it thin. I was expecting them to trim the fat a bit on this one, not add an additional 35 hours of bloat on top of that.
No thx.

I'm glad for people that like these super long games, and it obviously provides a ton of value for the money. But I'm done supporting these sort of games.
The last super long "omg 10/10 best game ever 90+ metascore" JRPG I played was Persona 5 and as much as I liked it at first I ended up actively hating it towards the end of its extremely slow and ridiculously badly paced 100 hours runtime.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nah.
Xenoblade 1 took me around 60 hours and 2 took me around 65 hours to beat and that was already stretching it thin. I was expecting them to trim the fat a bit on this one, not add an additional 35 hours of bloat on top of that.
No thx.
My first play through with original Xenoblade was 150 hours and still didn’t do every side quests.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
I still need to go and finish 2 (and actually play 1) so its good to see that this seems to be getting good reviews for if I do ever get around to it (are 1 and 2 linked or is it a DQ/ final Fantasy thing)
They are linked, but in a very hands-off way. Saying more than that would spoil thing. All you need to know is that they are linked, but are games that can be genuinely enjoyed(story-wise) without playing the other, though it would be FAR better if you play them in order.

Ezquimacore

Banned
You can really feel the hate for Nintendo on this site whenever they have good scores all around, but people still try to say "but" if this was a Sony game with a 80 on metacritic people here would be calling it the best rpg ever made. Shit, I would say shame on Xbox and PlayStation for always having the best hardware and none of their exclusives are as seamless as Xenoblade Chronicles x on Wii u, that console has a calculator cpu.
75b.jpg

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
I'm glad for people that like these super long games, and it obviously provides a ton of value for the money. But I'm done supporting these sort of games.
So you play games to beat them? Them being long is negative?

I personally feel screwed over when I buy a short game.

Xenoblade doesn’t waste your time, you are always progressing and exploring new things.

I’ve put 100+ hours in each xenoblade game. Never felt like it was chewing on fat, except in the post game grind.

Nautilus

Banned
Nah.
No thx.

The last super long "omg 10/10 best game ever 90+ metascore" JRPG I played was Persona 5 and as much as I liked it at first I ended up actively hating it towards the end of its extremely slow and ridiculously badly paced 100 hours runtime.
God, calm down.

It seems that if you skip most sidequests, and focus more on the main story, XC 3 should take 50-60 hours to finish according to most reviews.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
IGN really hated the game but still gave it an 8.

They absolutely did not.

All of those things add up to far less than an 8.

Except they don't. . .at least to the reviewer. The full review - to me at least - reads exactly like an 8 game: excellent overall with some technical and pacing drags.

So positive but mixed reviews with general gaming publications liking it, and Nintendo publications loving it. Sounds about right for a Xenoblade game, meaning it’s another masterpiece that I’ll adore. Can’t wait!

Where are you getting this? On OC there are four sub 8 scores and one of those has the wrong score (7.5 vs an 8). Out of 30 something scores so far, the overwhelming majority are high 8's and 9's. MC has even more scores with 61 good and 3 mixed. For all intents and purposes the game is at least as good as XC1 (and easily better than XC2). Like, as disinterested as I am with NINTENDO's output, there's absolutely no caveating that this is an excellent title. . .as far as critics are concerned.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
Fuckl
I was really looking forward to this but I've now read multiple review stating it takes around a 100 hours. That's a skip.
I'm so fucking tired of bloated JRPG's.
other 2 games were also around that range, but somehow they dont make it feel bloated, thats quite a bang for your buck

Andyliini

Wow, it's reviewing even better than I expected, well done MonolithSoft. Though I should have expected this, they have always delivered when working under Nintendo. This seems to be their best game yet, can't wait to play it this weekend.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Disagree. Has one of the most engaging and fun open worlds. The progression of systems and upgrades are fantastic. The soundtrack is great.

The story and characters are the only blemish on that game.

I'm sorry but all I can remember about XSX is everytime I entered battle it started rapping about tar... I'm actually happy the EU limited edition never came with a soundtrack.

This is Xenoblade Chronicles X where talking about right? I don't know outside of an Xbox Series X that can mean in relation to gaming. Overall sorry to say it's definitly one of the weaker JRPG's for me outside of the premise of big robots. It felt like a slighter better modern Star Ocean... but that's a low bar.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
Best Xenoblade by far for me. One of the better JRPG's I have played in years. Gald to see it reviewing well.
Wasnt gonna buy it but your video gave me FOMO. I'm scared of long ass games like this because I usually drop them and never return to them, hopefully it aint the case here for me.

You clearly haven’t been around the gaming industry long. Nintendo games usually get reviewed by Nintendo fans, and it has been the case for decades.
I'm just glad that there aren't any other fans reviewing games besides Nintendo. If we manage to finally root them out and stop these unjustly high scores, then gaming journalism stands a chance at being saved. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The first step is spreading awareness.

Fbh

So you play games to beat them? Them being long is negative?

I personally feel screwed over when I buy a short game.

Xenoblade doesn’t waste your time, you are always progressing and exploring new things.

I’ve put 100+ hours in each xenoblade game. Never felt like it was chewing on fat, except in the post game grind.

Being long is a negative because for me the 60-70 hours mark is the point at which I start to loose interest in most games and get the desire to play something new/fresh. In 25 years of playing games I've played exactly 1 single player game that has kept me engaged for more than 100 hours (not counting replays) and that's the Witcher 3. And even that one "only" takes around 50 hours for the main story. Literally every other long game I've ever played (JRPG's in particular) has felt bloated, repetitive and stretched out to me.

Xenoblade 2 would have been better if it was a bit shorter, didn't have a stupid ass Gacha system built in, didn't make powering up blades revolve around basically doing fetch quest tier "objectives" and didn't randomly put progression halting barriers that requiere specific and boring to upgrade field skills. And let's not nention the Torna DLC which is like 5 hours of meaningful content and 10 hours of mandatory fetch quests.

But, again. I'm not judging, if you can get 200 hours of genuine entertainment from this then that's awesome.

God, calm down.

It seems that if you skip most sidequests, and focus more on the main story, XC 3 should take 50-60 hours to finish according to most reviews.

Well since there will be plenty of people here playing I guess I can check in on the OT in a month and see the actual completion times.
I'm in no rush since there's plenty of other stuff to play, and I usually wait for used copies of Nintendo games to show up anyway.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Xenoblade 2 would have been better if it was a bit shorter, didn't have a stupid ass Gacha system built in, didn't make powering up blades revolve around basically doing fetch quest tier "objectives" and didn't randomly put progression halting barriers that requiere specific and boring to upgrade field skills. And let's not nention the Torna DLC which is like 5 hours of meaningful content and 10 hours of mandatory fetch quests.

It's funny because I actually quite liked the gatcha mechanic, I thought it showed that you could essentially have a game including the system mobile games use to get revenue but instead balanced around only earnable ingame currency.

Also ironically the blade I found the most annoying to upgrade was poppy and her unique minigame... I believe it was so hated they patched parts of it so players didn't have to engage with it in the end.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
You clearly haven’t been around the gaming industry long. Nintendo games usually get reviewed by Nintendo fans, and it has been the case for decades.
Sony has a more loyal fandom. So this would also apply to Sony.

So Xbox and third party publishers are at a disadvantage you say?

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
I'm sorry but all I can remember about XSX is everytime I entered battle it started rapping about tar... I'm actually happy the EU limited edition never came with a soundtrack.

This is Xenoblade Chronicles X where talking about right? I don't know outside of an Xbox Series X that can mean in relation to gaming. Overall sorry to say it's definitly one of the weaker JRPG's for me outside of the premise of big robots. It felt like a slighter better modern Star Ocean... but that's a low bar.
Surface level opinion of the game. It has amazing tracks. You probably only got 2 hours in and quit, if you even played the game.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Well, if they're Nintendo fans it's not for nothing, MAYBE those are the games they feel comfortable with and they like them more than others, maybe? Not because "Nintendo" and "scores up!" lol

Maybe some scores get inflated because of that but fans reviews tend to put attention on many stuff other people won't care about and that will effect negatively the final score even when most people won't care saying things like "too safe" or "didn't innovate much" and so on.

But Anime JRPGs in general carry some kind of stigma from USA people for some reason (yes, I haven't seen nearly as much from other west places) that if it's "too anime" or "combat is too complex" or "too different" or whatever, scores go down, you can see that on every Fire Emblem and Xenoblade discussion... Hell, many Nintendo fans on internet are wishing Nintendo finally "ditch" Xenoblade because they're salty of the franchise getting so much attention instead of any other classic stuff 🤷

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Solid scores. How are the side-quests in the game? I remember doing ton, but ton of fetching quests in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

It's was quite boredom in that regard.

Fbh

Solid scores. How are the side-quests in the game? I remember doing ton, but ton of fetching quests in Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

It's was quite boredom in that regard.

I've seen several reviews mention they are better now, with more unique stories, characters and objectives.
There's reportedly still some basic generic fetch quests in there but apparently it's easy to tell which side quests are worth it and which are essentially filler.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Surface level opinion of the game. It has amazing tracks. You probably only got 2 hours in and quit, if you even played the game.

You can tell your a Neo member because you just called me out on owning a game... this never goes well for people...

7yPhs3N.jpg

OK so now your turn scuzz bucket, I have no issue with people have differing opinions but this is the second time you have tried to assert your opinion as fact and claim in this thread alone as "you never played the game, your just dumb"

So here's a surface level opinion for you, "fuck off". I think every time you make any opinion I'm going to need hard fucking documented proof you have actually played the game. Or would you rather we just call it even here and admit that perhaps some people find Xenoblade Chronicles X to be the red headed step child of the saga and that people can have differing opinions and take them in good faith?

Yeah? Good.

Heres some "great" music about tar for everyone else.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I've seen several reviews mention they are better now, with more unique stories, characters and objectives.
There's reportedly still some basic generic fetch quests in there but apparently it's easy to tell which side quests are worth it and which are essentially filler.
you have main quest with red icon, you have Hero quest with yellow icon and normal quests with blue icon.

Last edited:

Gobjuduck

Banned
You can tell your a Neo member because you just called me out... this never goes well for people...

7yPhs3N.jpg
Owning a game doesn’t mean you played it. I own a dozen games I never played. If you really want to own me, show your Wii U play time of x.

Either you were disingenuous about the music, to be funny. Or you didn’t play the game fully. That’s not even the goofiest song to pick at. New LAs funky beatboxing for example.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
XBX is actually pretty good. The only bad points are unresolved story pieces and their multiplayer raid system for like one optional boss. Should of had more.

The mechs in addition to the exploration gave you a lot of freedom.

The thing I'm seeing in XB3 over XBX and XB2 is not being tied to a specific class toolkit or being tied to Blades that determine your DPS/Heals and Defensives. Looks very customizable.

XBX felt more like a single player MMO experience if anything. And I really enjoyed it for what it was. The game focused more on world building then story. And that's a turn off for some people.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I mean, I was going to play it regardless of what the critics think. But I'm glad other people are liking it.

Below 90 on Metacritic throw it in the trash.

This confirms Switch sales are declining as well, not sure it'll meet the PS4 at this point, might have to cut their forecast. It's time to discontinue the dead dinosaur and put out something new.

And with Steam Deck taking away the belt in running sales units, Nintendo is in their roughest spot since the Gamecube, it's not looking good, this was supposed to save them but now....

*sniff*

Poor Reggie, now we know why he left. Come back Veggie, come back.

Last edited:

Fbh

Same here.

It started promising with the first dungeon but then it got worse and worse as the game progressed.
The only thing that kept me going was my OCD for completing games I started. And then the game throws that Mementos dungeon at the end to add salt to the injury.
Jesus.

hahah, yeah same. I actually really liked the first few dungeons but for some reason they keep getting needlessly longer as the game goes on.
And then the mementos part at the end was the true "oh fuck this" moment, I think for me it was just the sunk cost fallacy of "well I've already spent 90 hours on this, at this point I have to make it through to the end".

It's the first game ever where towards the end I just said fuck it and set it to the easiest difficulty to just rush through it. (set it back to hard for the final boss which was pretty fun).

Top Bottom