• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XeSS (Intel ML Upscaling) supported by Series Consoles

Like DLSS , XeSS aims to offer upscaled image clarity by leveraging Machine Learning.

The key difference however is Intels solution will be open source.

Luckily for (Series gamers) it looks like this technology will be supported by the Series consoles due to hardware support for Int-4 dot operations.

Theoretically supported hardware located in third pic.

Source :

jhoV0tf.jpg

4usTBed.jpg

PV9fxT3.jpg

nice. a lot of people will come in hating on Nvidia because DLSS is restricted to Nvidia RTX cards but somehow i don't think we'd be seeing AMD or Intel coming out with their own solutions if it weren't for Nvidia. Also, how many people gave a shit about Raytracing or even know what it was before Nvidia put out RTX? They aren't out to create a standard that everyone uses. They are pushing new tech in the hopes others will try compete and then come up with a better solution. I know DLSS/RTX sells Nvidia's products but I'm sure Nvidia will be happy that others are doing their own thing. Competition is good.

Last edited:
nice. a lot of people will come in hating on Nvidia because DLSS is restricted to Nvidia RTX cards but somehow i don't think we'd be seeing AMD or Intel coming out with their own solutions if it weren't for Nvidia. Also, how many people gave a shit about Raytracing or even know what it was before Nvidia put out RTX? They aren't out to create a standard that everyone uses. They are pushing new tech in the hopes others will try compete and then come up with a better solution. I know DLSS/RTX sells Nvidia's products but I'm sure Nvidia will be happy that others are doing their own thing. Competition is good.

I agree mostly. NV pioneered the tech. But intel will help democratize it. ML is going to be extremely important moving forward.

I agree mostly. NV pioneered the tech. But intel will help democratize it. ML is going to be extremely important moving forward.
I'm honestly not that sure about "democratization", as Intel's model still needs proper dedicated hardware to work at full power (i.e. providing useful performance or quality increase). It's the same with Nvidia - they could make DLSS open-source tomorrow and it won't change a thing, the performance hit from running DLSS without matrix-multiplication processors like Tensor cores will make the tech all but worthless unless you already have ridiculously strong hardware. Or some other type of dedicated ML accelerator, which is probably not going to be as good a solution either.

Lets see if the XeSS will become part of the Xbox game development kit just like AMD's FSR did. I think Intel promised to release their new tools for wider audiences already this year?

ToTTenTranz

Banned

This list doesn't seem right. Desktop Pascal GPUs don't support FP16 rapid packed math, let alone INT8 or INT4. They even needed to get a single FP16 unit with ridiculously low performance just to get some IEEE compliance.

They can probably still run these algorythms by promoting all variables to FP32 on the driver level, but in that case virtually every DX11 and later GPU could run XeSS (with varying levels of efficiency of course).

Lastly, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. If XeSS on DP4a is open source then every modern GPU can run it. Series, XBOne S/X, PS4/PS5, Switch, etc.
DP4a is a hardware feature to accelerate calculations using smaller variables, but GPUs can promote these variables up to 16 or 32bit and run the same calculations.

Last edited:

aries_71

Lets see if the XeSS will become part of the Xbox game development kit just like AMD's FSR did. I think Intel promised to release their new tools for wider audiences already this year?
There's not much left to this year.

This looks early stage. I hope it doesn't take years to be supported in the real world.

This list doesn't seem right. Desktop Pascal GPUs don't support FP16 rapid packed math, let alone INT8 or INT4. They even needed to get a single FP16 unit with ridiculously low performance just to get some IEEE compliance.

They can probably still run these algorythms by promoting all variables to FP32 on the driver level, but in that case virtually every DX11 and later GPU could run XeSS (with varying levels of efficiency of course).

Lastly, I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. If XeSS on DP4a is open source then every modern GPU can run it. Series, XBOne S/X, PS4/PS5, Switch, etc.
DP4a is a hardware feature to accelerate calculations using smaller variables, but GPUs can promote these variables up to 16 or 32bit and run the same calculations.

I’m going off of the information provided. If you can locate why certain GPUs are missing that’s your quest. As it stands now here’s whTs supported take it up with the posters or intel ?

Microsoft also didn't wait for full RDNA2 anymore than Sony considering all consoles released the same week, but it'll take years before this kind of misinformation spread by windows central, xboxera and their discord armies gets dispelled.

Nothing misinformation about it. Just because you don’t like the information has no effect on its validity. Deny deny deny , is all you’ve done when the literal evidence is available.

You claim disinformation yet every rebuttal you’ve presented has no documented evidence.

Ironic.

Heh, kind of curious now if the RDNA2 GPU in the Deck supports the same things...
You mean steam deck ? Why wouldn’t it ? But its not out yet. Steam deck def supports all these features. It’s coming with an RDNA2 GPU, there are up coming mobile phones that support these features so does the new iPhone and MacBook Pros.

Zathalus

Microsoft also didn't wait for full RDNA2 anymore than Sony considering all consoles released the same week, but it'll take years before this kind of misinformation spread by windows central, xboxera and their discord armies gets dispelled.
Microsoft literally said that is the case that they waited for the full RDNA2 feature set.

Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

To deliver on this vision we wanted to leverage the full capabilities of RDNA 2 in hardware from day one.

In our quest to put gamers and developers first we chose to wait for the most advanced technology from our partners at AMD before finalizing our architecture

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I’m going off of the information provided. If you can locate why certain GPUs are missing that’s your quest. As it stands now here’s whTs supported take it up with the posters or intel ?
I don't use twitter but some people called out Locuza Locuza for that list already.
Regardless, the biggest difference between Locuza's info and the thread you created is the former didn't try to use that info to make a console warring thread.

Nothing misinformation about it. Just because you don’t like the information has no effect on its validity. Deny deny deny , is all you’ve done when the literal evidence is available.

You claim disinformation yet every rebuttal you’ve presented has no documented evidence.

Ironic.
You need evidence for what exactly in the post you quoted? That the xbox series released November 10 2020 and ps5 released November 12 2020? Do you need help finding that info on the internet?

Microsoft literally said that is the case that they waited for the full RDNA2 feature set.

The post you quoted says "they didn't wait more than Sony. Where does the page you linked say they waited longer than Sony to get more features?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Microsoft has a xbox blog post and a tweet stating that they’re the only next gen console with the full RDNA2 hardware feature set, and they specifically state that they waited for that.

You’re the one spreading misinformation here.

Microsoft has a xbox blog post and a tweet stating that they’re the only next gen console with the full RDNA2 hardware feature set, and they specifically state that they waited for that.

You’re the one spreading misinformation here.

Guy is living in his own self-made world.

I don't use twitter but some people called out Locuza Locuza for that list already.
Regardless, the biggest difference between Locuza's info and the thread you created is the former didn't try to use that info to make a console warring thread.

You need evidence for what exactly in the post you quoted? That the xbox series released November 10 2020 and ps5 released November 12 2020? Do you need help finding that info on the internet?

The fact that the anchor of your premises is release dates shows me that you’re woefully unqualified to have this discussion.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

this is illogical stuff, and I’m surprised you’re doubling down on it. The release date has nothing to do with their claim of waiting. What it probably means in that context is that they held off locking in their SoC until the full RDNA2 hardware was finalized. And that would also align with their inability to produce anything close to as many units as Sony has produced.

this is illogical stuff, and I’m surprised you’re doubling down on it. The release date has nothing to do with their claim of waiting. What it probably means in that context is that they held off locking in their SoC until the full RDNA2 hardware was finalized. And that would also align with their inability to produce anything close to as many units as Sony has produced.

Wait.. it can’t be true real life (obvious) implications of waiting ? But but but they released at the same time !!!!!

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Choosing to wait for features that your competitor lacks clearly indicates they waited longer. Not sure how else you can read into that.

I'm not the one reading two separate sentences in separate paragraphs - "waiting to get full RDNA2" and "we're the only ones with DX12 Ultimate features (duh)" - and thinking they waited longer than Sony but then released 2 days later.
Boy, those must have been some seriously productive 2 days over at AMD to make such progress.

I could also make the point that Sony was the one waiting to get RDNA2's electrical/physical optimizations from the Zen CPU teams to reach higher GPU clocks, but I know that's nonsensical because they released within 2 days.

Regardless, I can tell I triggered a certain group of people too much so I'm done feeding this console warring thread.

Zathalus

I'm not the one reading two separate sentences in separate paragraphs - "waiting to get full RDNA2" and "we're the only ones with DX12 Ultimate features (duh)" - and thinking they waited longer than Sony but then released 2 days later.
Boy, those must have been some seriously productive 2 days over at AMD to make such progress.

I could also make the point that Sony was the one waiting to get RDNA2's electrical/physical optimizations from the Zen CPU teams to reach higher GPU clocks, but I know that's nonsensical because they released within 2 days.

Regardless, I can tell I triggered a certain group of people too much so I'm done feeding this console warring thread.
Releasing within 2 days of each other does not mean each consoles SoC design was finalised at the same time. We know Xbox started production over a month later than Playstation and we also know Xbox development kits were sent out much later, with the finalisation of the GDK only occurring mid 2020. These factors, when combined with the fact that Playstation does not have certain RDNA2 features, such as SFS and VRS, clearly indicate that Xbox waited longer to finalise the SoC design.

oldergamer

I knew the conversation would change direction as soon as someone asked if ps5 supports the feature (it doesn't). Ms did wait longer to mass produce chips for xsx and its why they were late with devkits. Xsx has many gpu features that ps5 doesn't have.

Next im expecting someone to say ps5 can support it in software. which defeats the purpose of a cpu company developing a hardware accelerated approach to a feature.

oldergamer

I could also make the point that Sony was the one waiting to get RDNA2's electrical/physical optimizations from the Zen CPU
teams to reach higher GPU clocks, but I know that's nonsensical because they released within 2 days.

Sony had ps5 dev kits with final hardware almost 6 months before xbox. There is more that goes into release dates then you are considering.

Releasing within 2 days of each other does not mean each consoles SoC design was finalised at the same time. We know Xbox started production over a month later than Playstation and we also know Xbox development kits were sent out much later, with the finalisation of the GDK only occurring mid 2020. These factors, when combined with the fact that Playstation does not have certain RDNA2 features, such as SFS and VRS, clearly indicate that Xbox waited longer to finalise the SoC design.

Man thinks they just chose to produce fewer consoles and send their dev kits out later to be nice to Sony.

Last edited:
Just because it is supported doesn't mean it will be used. Sadly that's how it goes when you're not the market leader.

LoL @ “Market Leader” sir this tech is an industry wide paradigm shift that’ll be open source.

Also Microsoft is surely going to implement this as they’ve been a force in ML development.

Tell me you know nothing about the industry without telling me.

lol btw Microsoft is the most valuable company in the world. I think that’s about as market leader as you can get

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I knew the conversation would change direction as soon as someone asked if ps5 supports the feature (it doesn't)
What is the proof it does not support INT8/INT4 quad and octa rate math (available in RDNA1 already, optional on that arch, default on RDNA2) as it does double rate FP16? The old “if it did they would have said” “Sony Principal Eng tweet” proofs, right ;)?

I see the thread already took a “omg, this could mean a gulf of performance” “trump card” material kind of turn :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom