• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Nice change of pace from previous Yakuzas! (Spoiler-free)

Shifty

Just finished up today's big session, and I'm at chapter 10. The plot thickens!

Job-wise, outside of leveling everything in 5 rank increments for the stats, I've settled on Ichi with Hero for fiery Mega Swings, Adachi with Host for support and electrified champagne beatdowns (recently graduated from Devil Rocker chainsaw massacres :messenger_horns:), and Saeko as a Night Queen wielding a morning star I bought from a sex shop. Seems pretty potent now all of the AoE and elemental stuff is becoming available.

I absolutely humiliated the wrecking ball, poor bastard didn't even get a turn lol. Also love that Ichi was ballsy enough to infiltrate the uniformed protestors while wearing that loud-ass red suit.

The Yakuza + Nanba fight was a nice challenge - made me break out some support strategies, and while I was definitely sad when he left the party, it would be a lie if I said beating some sense back into him with the sheer financial power of Fat Stack Slap wasn't satisfying :messenger_tears_of_joy: look at all the profit and EXP gain you've been missing, you stubborn fool!

Big crime, all the way to the top! I enjoyed the social commentary with Bleach Japan's political strategy - seems like a natural extension of the slacktivist goons we've been encountering so far.

Korean Vergil seems cool. I'm unfamiliar with his part in 7 and still getting a handle on his kit, but the Assassin moniker seems apt since it's a shit ton of specific ways to kill a single target. I guess I'll have to put him on the Bodyguard job and dress him in Date's coat at some point.

Oh, and Dragon Kart is good fun - glad to see Fighter return (though seemingly anonymized the same as Barkeep / Kashiwagi), and I like that they nicked the coins = speed mechanic from Super Mario Kart. I somehow wasn't expecting Ichi to pull out an RPG for the missile pickup considering that everything else is abstract mario items, so that one got me good :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I spent some time in the south arcade to give OG OutRun a real committed try for the first time, and almost managed to finish route A. Very good game. I always bounced off it before since I figured 2 was just better in every way, but credit where it's due, they nailed that handling feel right out of the gate and built up from there for the sequel.

Went to Club SEGA and tried Super Hang On too. Also very good, and a lot more readable thanks to the resolution bump. The sound design around the turbo is rad as well, that must really have been something special when played on the real-deal bike cab.

Haha no worries bro, it's just an administrative headache and car insurance companies are a pain in the ass to deal with (accident wasn't my fault at all, my car was parked and I wasn't even in the car!). But at least to make up for that, I just came from a very successful date, lol 😉
Go get em :messenger_face_steam:

Also, I think we might be at the same point? I also unlocked the business minigame (I think if you look at the pictures I posted a couple of posts above, you'll recognize Eri and her grandma? That's when you're introduced to the business minigame, I think?)

Wait never mind I read your spoiler and
Eri hasn't joined my party yet 😭
Ah, sorry - I should have put a more descriptive tag in.

But well, time to make that bank! You definitely won't regret it.

I'm really digging the sidestory part of it now I've hit top 50, which is saying something since my outlook on all things business is generally dim.

Having a lot of fun with the shareholder ATB meetings too. It took a minute to get to grips with the interface and stats, but that thing is a proper battle system on top of hiding some signature hilarity.

First part sounds like an actual Yakuza game...not sure about that "spoiler" though 😅
It makes sense in the context of the battle system :messenger_winking:

Her starting class is Clerk, which is essentially a Ninja but with boxcutters and thumbtacks instead of daggers and caltrops.

So Japanese or English dub? First time Yakuza player.
Japanese. The performances are really good, and a lot of the dramatic and comedic timing relies on the structure of the original language to hit properly.

I'm sure the dub is fine, but I've noticed a few places where the structure of the english in the sub just wouldn't fit as well if read aloud.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I couldn't find an OT but I beat the game yesterday and beat the Millenium tower.

Turns out there's another Final Super Mega tower and it's full of lvl99 folk. That's probably where I check out as I'm at lvl70 and have good gear but don't have the patience to level up to anywhere near 90+.

I have around 55 hours on my save and would say I've got what I want out of it.

Loved the story, characters, battle system. I had a slight bit of fatigue around Chapter 10 but that's mainly because I was grinding a bit so that's a normal thing when it comes to these types of games.

I picked this back up a little under 3 weeks ago with a save file of 4 hours as I just got to Ichincho. The Steam Deck has been a savior for me as I've beat the game mostly on the Deck. It made me appreciate going back to the 4k144fps presentation on my PC but man, the Deck has been a game changer for me.

Anyone recommend going back to the roots of the series and try and play them? I haven't even scratched the surface as I've beaten none of the games and honestly, I feel like I should play a different game as I don't want to burn myself out on the series seeing as they all look and play similar.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Anyone recommend going back to the roots of the series and try and play them? I haven't even scratched the surface as I've beaten none of the games and honestly, I feel like I should play a different game as I don't want to burn myself out on the series seeing as they all look and play similar.
Hell yes, go play Yakuza 0. It doesn't play like LaD too much since it's a beat'em'up instead of a JRPG, while still keeping the cool story (0 for me is peak Yakuza story), the crazy sidequests and the cool minigames.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Hell yes, go play Yakuza 0. It doesn't play like LaD too much since it's a beat'em'up instead of a JRPG, while still keeping the cool story (0 for me is peak Yakuza story), the crazy sidequests and the cool minigames.
Sounds good, putting that on the deck now. Does it have English/Japanese audio?

I highly recommend Yakuza 0. I'm loving Like a Dragon, but Yakuza 0 is still my favorite game in the whole series. Kiwami 1 & 2 are also amazing if you love Yakuza 0. Yakuza 3 & 4 are much harder to get into as they lack a lot of the improvements found in 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2

Edit: Japanese voice for the win, BTW. Yakuza 0 has good English dialogue, but cutscenes are much more natural in Japanese

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I highly recommend Yakuza 0. I'm loving Like a Dragon, but Yakuza 0 is still my favorite game in the whole series. Kiwami 1 & 2 are also amazing if you love Yakuza 0. Yakuza 3 & 4 are much harder to get into as they lack a lot of the improvements found in 0, Kiwami 1, and Kiwami 2
Specially 3 with it's awful combat, where enemies could block most of your attacks. At least Okinawa was peak comfy setting.

Found the battle system too limiting, too slow, and too shallow for a turn based RPG. For a game that's coming from real time combat there's also disappointingly limited options to counter/dodge your opponent's attacks, or position your characters strategically. to I hope they take cues from Grandia, Wild Arms, Shadow Hearts (even the latest Gust games) in the next one instead of vanilla Dragon fucking Quest, it'll make the combat a lot more exciting. Ichiban and his friends are fun, but the main story gets a little too silly at times (side activities being wacky are no problem as they always have been). Everyone has a dramatic backstory as usual but there's not enough serious characters to ground the drama for me.

Ozrimandias

Years ago I considered myself a fan of Metal Gear Solid, probably my most anticipated game was MGS4, but the years have passed and its narrative twists and certain stories or arcs seem ridiculous and cringe to me. I had to spend years to have another saga that could satisfy my desire to see a good story with unexpected twists and a story that did not seem ridiculous, but captivating. Thanks, Yakuza. Each cutscene is well thought out and does not claim to be a movie but to tell a good story. While the Metal Gear cutscenes pretended to be a Hollywood production. Yakuza was intended to be a well-told series with a deep story told in parts.
In conclusion. Both in cutscenes, such as the treatment that the end of Kiryu vs. Snake had, and the story in general. Yakuza has given me unparalleled moments of fun.
I recently finished Like a Dragon, I thought that turn based rpg on this saga could not get me but, I enjoyed it quite a lot, in fact in my rank stands in third or fourth place.
1.- Zero
2.- Kiwami (It's absolutely devastating after playing zero)
3.- Like a Dragon / Kiwami 2

Ichi is more innocent and impulsive than Kiryu but you'll love him anyway the way he is.
I can't wait for more Like a Dragon games (ex-yakuza)

Top Bottom