• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon | OT | Punching and Brawling Like a G6

How long of a gap is there between Yakuzas? I want more. This shit is like crack. Might check out Yakuza 0. I know its a different game play, but the tone i bet the story has a similar tone.
I haven't played Y0 but it's reportedly the best of the bunch. You could try other great Yakuzas and build up to playing 0 as the last one, that's what I'm doing. Other great Yakuzas appears to apply to all of them from what I've played

NanaMiku

How long of a gap is there between Yakuzas? I want more. This shit is like crack. Might check out Yakuza 0. I know its a different game play, but the tone i bet the story has a similar tone.
Except for Yakuza 0, each game sets in the the same year that it releases (IIRC, even the same time frame). For example, Yakuza 7 is set in 2020, Yakuza 1 is set in 2005.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Man, I love this game so much. Just got to chapter 10. What a fucking game.

Wait for chapter 13

how i met your mother barney stnson GIF

Well I beat the ridiculous true final millennium tower boss and got the platinum. It was pretty tough/grindy. I recommend anyone going for it level enforcer/foreman as secondary classes for the HP boost.

Now I'm out of excuses to stay in this game, having done everything so it's time to uninstall. But before I finished up I went to survive bar and listened to everybody's goofy karaoke songs one last time. Fun.

Time to eat the senbei I bought in celebration! They appear to just be rice crackers? EDIT: yup, rice crackers. Good ones tho

Last edited:
Okay so I finished the Senbei, it was delicious.

But I just wanna say though, Japan thinking it can classify rice crackers as confectionery tells you everything you need to know about why they don't have an obesity epidemic

MarlboroRed

This game is a true gem. A friend of mine gifted me a key since I am in the mood for some cozy JRPGs lately. Booted it up with the intention of only playing the prologue, but I ended up playing for almost 8 hours straight since I was enjoying it so much. I like how fluid the turn-based combat feels in this game if you know what you want to do with your next move. The only JRPG that felt this smooth to play to me so far was Persona 5.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm only in chapter 4 and it's already annoying how often the random encounters are. I had many situations where after defeating a group of 2-3 (super weak) enemies I immediately encountered another one. I never actively avoided random fights in previous Yakuza games, but that's because they weren't as frequent. It was also easier to avoid enemies if you didn't want to fight because of wide main streets in Kamurocho.

But yeah, that's my only complaint so far. The rest of the game looks great and I love from what I've seen in Yokohama so far.

Last edited:

Miles708

I'm only in chapter 4 and it's already annoying how often the random encounters are. I had many situations where after defeating a group of 2-3 (super weak) enemies I immediately encountered another one. I never actively avoided random fights in previous Yakuza games, but that's because they weren't as frequent. It was also easier to avoid enemies if you didn't want to fight because of wide main streets in Kamurocho.

But yeah, that's my only complaint so far. The rest of the game looks great and I love from what I've seen in Yokohama so far.
Yeah some parts of the city have pretty screwed respawn points and that can take you almost in a combat loop.

At times some random enemies can also be incredibly tough despite their "normal"level. For the most part the combat is very fluid though.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Yeah some parts of the city have pretty screwed respawn points and that can take you almost in a combat loop.

At times some random enemies can also be incredibly tough despite their "normal"level. For the most part the combat is very fluid though.
Well I'm glad I've unlocked the auto battle function which is very handly for "filler" battles. I still don't know how to recognize enemies from much higher levels. Is it the icons above their heads?

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm currently in chapter 12 and I have to say I don't like moments of forced grind for the purpose of progressing in the main story. First you have to earn 3 million yen to complete a mandatory objective and then you're forced to fight level 50 bosses who will massacre you if you're not at least on level 45. Of course there's a place next door which allows for effective grind for those interested...

Moments like this remind me why I stayed away from jRPG's in the past (among other reasons). Exploring the world and doing various things - cool. Boring grinding to become stronger and stand a chance in the boss fights - hell naw.

Rant over.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
If you did that, you would have found two quests giving you exactly 3 million yen and XP wouldn't have been an issue
I've done the quest with the statues to get 2 mil and sold the stuff at the pawn shop for 1.5 million, but if I didn't look up guides on how to do that I'd be spending a lot of time trying to earn the money "legitimately".

Also I never skipped any substories in previous chapters and I'm still on level 41 in chapter 12 so there's quite a lot of the grinding ahead before the lvl50 bosses. I know this game is very different, but I still have to say I didn't have any issues in previous Yakuza's with wanting to progress in the main storyline and not being able to do so because of being too weak.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So I finally finished the game. The main story definitely picks up around chapter 11-12 and I really loved the ending. Nice to see so many characters from previous Yakuza's make guest appearances. I'll definitely spend more time with the game in premium adventure, but I probably won't be going for the platinum. I'm already tired of the grind I've done before the final bosses. ;)

BaneIsPain

Finally, I managed to Platinum it. The true Millenium tower really needs a lot of grinding jobs but it is not as bad as DQXI grind.
I expect the next sequel will focus on Kamurocho again.

Metnut

Is there a codex in this game or something else like that where I can read backgrounds on characters? I’ve tried looking around for it, but just can’t find it. I’m playing PS version.

Metnut

Is there a codex in this game or something else like that where I can read backgrounds on characters? I’ve tried looking around for it, but just can’t find it. I’m playing PS version.

Other than not being able to find the Codex, I’m really digging the game so far. Looks really good on the PS5.

Erdrick

Been a while but isn't there a codex or story summary under the settings tab in the lowest portion of the main menu when you hit the options button? I vaguely remember something like that. Haven't played it since I platinum'd it back before Xmas though.

RNG

Keep playing up to chapter 4. It’ll be unlocked through a sub story.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just started this on PS5. Man, was I wrong. It plays extremely differently, but in a good way, and it still manages to have that fabulous Yakuza feeling.

And despite my grips with the protagonist change, I'm already digging Ichiban right at the beginning.

Glad I didn't tackle this on PS4, because even PS5 in fidelity mode shits itself. But on 60fps it's butter smooth and the game looks gorgeous.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Just finished the game. What a roller-coaster. Once again Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios delivers an unbelievable videogame in every aspect.

I was one of those that were skeptical about the turn-based change but ended up loving it, specially because it refreshes the series in such a good way.

It may take a bit for the game to really click with long time fans of the series, but once it does, it's simply amazing in my opinion.

Really liked Ichiban and the cast that supports him and the narrative, and can't wait to see his next chapter. He is such a likeable and well written character.

And absolutely loved how the sneakly thrown Majima, Saejima and Kiryu into the game. When you storm into Omi HQ and Saejima and Majima start climbing down the stairs, it was such a highlight for me, because I legit didn't have any knowledge about old characters appearing in the game. And making all of them boss battles. Fucking epic.

Without a doubt one of my favourite turn-based RPG in recent years. Number 1 is still FFVII Remake, but that one plays more like an Action turned-based RPG than a true classic turn-based.

Now it's time to pull the trigger and jump into Lost Judgement.

gela94

Finally managed to finish the game .. ..just amazing, some tears were shead. The writing in this game is so awesome and funny, truly underappreciated. I wonder where they will go with the sequel.

Miles708

The grinding in chap 13 killed for me, after the 3 millions thing. Wasn't feeling it earlier anyway, despite the intial honeymoon period.
I'm happy many people liked it, but this will be the first unfinished Yakuza for me.

gela94

Also wanted to point oujt how much effort they put into the minigames like the managment one, I mean your company of ricecookies even gets a commercial it's hilarious also the PVs of the karaoke songs are fantastic even though other yakuza games also had pvs. I could go on and on. It is sad that not many gaffers are this much into it *looks at OT with only 8 pages*

JayK47

Hoping to wrap this up soon. I kinda hate that they are making you fight all the main characters from the previous Yakuza games. And they are all overpowered compared to everything else. So I need to grind to level up prior to battle.

Miles708

Hoping to wrap this up soon. I kinda hate that they are making you fight all the main characters from the previous Yakuza games. And they are all overpowered compared to everything else. So I need to grind to level up prior to battle.
That's where I've abandoned the game.
Compulsory sudden grind? Heck no

JayK47

Ending was bittersweet. Didn't like how it turned out, but was glad it was over. Too much crying and trying to hug bad guys. I did have to grind up to level 52 or so before taking on last several boss battles. That arena that is unlocked late in game really is not optional.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
The game is actually quite good, but I've only played for 7 hours and haven't had a total of 10 fights(2 of them in the VF5 machine). I like story-driven games, but this one seems to have a bit too much dialogue. Also, it's overly easy, and there's no option to choose difficulty. I want to continue, but I'm starting to struggle.

Top Bottom