• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Can Keep That S**t! - Experiences With Foreign Confectionary & Snacks

Sugars are something that all people of assorted races and ethnic backgrounds are partial too and it doesn't come as a surprise with the amount of confectionary consumed in the world. But I'm not talking about candies and snacks available to you because that would be boring, but those from other countries which are present albeit hard to find. Those foreign items that can't be purchased from the local convenience store because your country's version of it exists and instead have to be bought in supermarkets or ordered online, or perhaps were tasted on holiday?

An example would be Heinz Ketchup, even though it's American I can find it all over my local corner shops so it's excluded. But something like Sweet Baby Ray's is only available at the American food section at the supermarket and can be submitted. Food and foreign cuisines aren't to be included. Branded sweets, cakes, biscuits, crisps are the meat of this thread and I won't be surprised to see few submissions due to foreign brands being difficult to come by in certain countries due to import tax and lacking popularity.

I'm also not expecting USAGAF to make much of an appearance here as they basically have their own versions or the sweets themselves are American in origin lol.

Mine:

Name: Tootsie Roll
Purchased: US Foods Aisle, Supermarket
Rating: 2/5

s-l400.jpg

Can't believe Americans actually eat this crap. One of the reasons I bought one was because Washington Redskins cornerback Darrell Green would eat them and claim they made him run fast. Well Darrell was talking bullshit as somebody took coffee grounds and basically made a candy bar out of it. The smooth texture of this sweet is the only redeeming feature.

Name: Cheetos Flamin' Hot
Rating 4/5

65856_main.jpg

These crisps aren't as spicy and exciting as the packaging makes them out to be. But I absolutely love how they're covered in flavouring powder so I often lick them clean and then eat them. The spice is not overwhelming either and I enjoy a bag of Cheetos whenever I come across them.

Name: Jolly Rancher
Purchased: Candy Store With Foreign Sweets
Rating 4/5

jolly-rancher-original-flavours-3oz-85g-800x800.png

These taste like ice lollies which we have in this country and are difficult to come by due to their high import tax. I was able to purchase a bag of 85g for about £2 which is an absurd amount for so few sweets but they're nice although I find they're a little too sweet and high on sugar.

belmarduk

My favorite are white chocolate covered licorice candies from Iceland called Djuper.

djupur.jpg

I'm sure they will never catch on in the US as most of us seem to hate licorice but in a few months, I've got a connecting flight in Reykjavik. I'll be picking up ten bags!

I am going to post from USAGaf. For about 1 year or so, there has been a critical shortage of an Australian delicacy.

Tim Tams
No longer in Target or Safeway, way too expensive on Amazon.

Star-Lord

Yeah, Hershey’s Kisses can go fuck themselves. If someone’s kisses tasted like that, I’d superglue their mouth shut.

Now, Jolly Ranchers on the other hand, I love. The hard candy variety are tough to find, though, and the other variations are trash.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Hershey's and lots of other American chocolates have butyric acid in them, which you can also taste when you vomit. Its not used in Europe so that's why so many Europeans are disgusted by our chocolate. I suppose we've just gotten used to it.
Well Europe has bad taste in general so I guess its to be expected.

SirTerry-T

Sugars are something that all people of assorted races and ethnic backgrounds are partial too and it doesn't come as a surprise with the amount of confectionary consumed in the world. But I'm not talking about candies and snacks available to you because that would be boring, but those from other countries which are present albeit hard to find. Those foreign items that can't be purchased from the local convenience store because your country's version of it exists and instead have to be bought in supermarkets or ordered online, or perhaps were tasted on holiday?

An example would be Heinz Ketchup, even though it's American I can find it all over my local corner shops so it's excluded. But something like Sweet Baby Ray's is only available at the American food section at the supermarket and can be submitted. Food and foreign cuisines aren't to be included. Branded sweets, cakes, biscuits, crisps are the meat of this thread and I won't be surprised to see few submissions due to foreign brands being difficult to come by in certain countries due to import tax and lacking popularity.

I'm also not expecting USAGAF to make much of an appearance here as they basically have their own versions or the sweets themselves are American in origin lol.

Mine:

Name: Tootsie Roll
Rating: 2/5

s-l400.jpg

Can't believe Americans actually eat this crap. One of the reasons I bought one was because Washington Redskins cornerback Darrell Green would eat them and claim they made him run fast. Well Darrell was talking bullshit as somebody took coffee grounds and basically made a candy bar out of it. The smooth texture of this sweet is the only redeeming feature.

Name: Cheetos Flamin' Hot
Rating 4/5

65856_main.jpg

These crisps aren't as spicy and exciting as the packaging makes them out to be. But I absolutely love how they're covered in flavouring powder so I often lick them clean and then eat them. The spice is not overwhelming either and I enjoy a bag of Cheetos whenever I come across them.

Name: Jolly Rancher
Purchased: Candy Store With Foreign Sweets
Rating 4/5

jolly-rancher-original-flavours-3oz-85g-800x800.png

These taste like ice lollies which we have in this country and are difficult to come by due to their high import tax. I was able to purchase a bag of 85g for about £2 which is an absurd amount for so few sweets but they're nice although I find they're a little too sweet and high on sugar.
I'm with you on a lot of this stuff...no offense to those on the other side of "The Pond" but a lot of USA confectionery does appear to be made entirely out of sugar and/or peanuts.

Bloody expensive too when it's brought from any American confectionery shop/supermarket shelf over here....7 quid for a box of Lucky Charms...that can fuck right off!
Having said that my missus is willing to sell body organs if it means she can get hold of another packet of Lemon filled Oreos, so I guess it all balances out.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I am going to post from USAGaf. For about 1 year or so, there has been a critical shortage of an Australian delicacy.

Tim Tams
No longer in Target or Safeway, way too expensive on Amazon.
Tim Tams....we call those "Convict's Penguins" over here in the UK! ;)

(We don't really but they are practically the same biscuit, both need to have a corner bitten off each end and used as a rudimental drinking straw with a mug of tea for the ultimate Tim Tam/Penguin experience)

dave_d

For those not familiar with them, avoid Necco Wafers which are terrible. I would just like to personally apologize for my state for creating this "confection", it's a crime against humanity.

Star-Lord

Not since Kraft bought them... an American company, to which as already said in this topic, American chocolate is shit.
Still tastes the same to me. I know they changed the size of Creme Eggs - the cunts - but did they change the recipe? I thought one of the conditions of the takeover deal was that Kraft had to leave recipe well alone.

catvonpee

When I was working in Israel they had this stuff called Halva I absolutely loved. I haven't been able to find it over here. But it's like nutty and very sweet. Almost like salty water taffy but not as sickening sweet.

Another thing I really love is Turkish coffee. The best I had was in was in Qatar at the Souq Waqif. It was very strong coffee that tasted slightly like anise and was also very sugary.

T8SC

Still tastes the same to me. I know they changed the size of Creme Eggs - the cunts - but did they change the recipe? I thought one of the conditions of the takeover deal was that Kraft had to leave recipe well alone.

Creme Eggs changed as did some other items, there was a story years ago about the changes. It might be that stuff couldn't be changed "for a limited time" perhaps.

Last edited:
Yeah, Hershey’s Kisses can go fuck themselves. If someone’s kisses tasted like that, I’d superglue their mouth shut.

Now, Jolly Ranchers on the other hand, I love. The hard candy variety are tough to find, though, and the other variations are trash.
a4d.gif
7 quid for a box of Lucky Charms...that can fuck right off!
Lucky Charms, do I look 10 years old?!
£4 for a jar of Fluff is worth it once in a while.
640x640.jpg
092316FluffJar.jpg

This man understands. I've been eyeballing this on the bottom shelf of the American food aisle. That being said I'm hesitant as it looks like pure sugar and my teeth have seen better days.
What you know about the Tootsie Roll, OP?

XHbZqz9JnZcy8zfAMcSP_7utaM8I8QC9-TyotldJsHPsOdLwryQDfuKGQoVCDNwLPRTxbaON7E7P16wdlS7GegtCS3iAXXWLPlHxsi3SB7gE8QDaBWdVB8btmzLG6JN-Xq5LScbEXx5O6yOnpYsAxwAZmgM
I know this:
ForsakenOrneryAsianpiedstarling-max-1mb.gif

When I was working in Israel they had this stuff called Halva I absolutely loved. I haven't been able to find it over here. But it's like nutty and very sweet. Almost like salty water taffy but not as sickening sweet.

Another thing I really love is Turkish coffee. The best I had was in was in Qatar at the Souq Waqif. It was very strong coffee that tasted slightly like anise and was also very sugary.
Halva is Iranian I believe but is made in multiple countries across the Middle East. I've had some and the texture was like a bar of soap, but a tasty bar of soap.

Nobody_Important

We're one of the most storied and decorated franchises in the history of pro football. But that's neither here nor there as this thread is all about the sweeties.
Is Eli Manning HoF worthy?

Your answer decides your fate.

Is Eli Manning HoF worthy?

Your answer decides your fate.
There's a lot of discussion and debate on what it means to be a Hall of Famer. Was it the player with a tremendous amount of statistics, made his teammates better or sold the most tickets on opening night? I know this, if this game is about winning SuperBowls then baby Eli Manning got the hardware!

v6ia3.gif
deal-with-it-manning.gif

Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Should be up for consideration but won't make it in anytime soon.

Star-Lord

This man understands. I've been eyeballing this on the bottom shelf of the American food aisle. That being said I'm hesitant as it looks like pure sugar and my teeth have seen better days.
Oh, it’s 200% pure sugar, but you only live once. Like I said, a jar every now and again is a fantastic treat. Bloody expensive, mind, but worth every penny.

Nobody_Important

There's a lot of discussion and debate on what it means to be a Hall of Famer. Was it the player with a tremendous amount of statistics, made his teammates better or sold the most tickets on opening night? I know this, if this game is about winning SuperBowls then baby Eli Manning got the hardware!

v6ia3.gif
deal-with-it-manning.gif

Yeahhhhhh!!!!

Should be up for consideration but won't make it in anytime soon.
First Ballot.

Bet.

200.gif

By his name alone he will be first ballot I think.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Fosters beer is a blight on humanity
The Foster's bitter can is pretty decent.
Not award-winning by any means, but

First Ballot.

Bet.

200.gif

By his name alone he will be first ballot I think.

You've lost your mind, bro?

No way in hell Eli is first ballot.

• Zero MVPs
  • Zero offensive player of the year awards
  • Zero all pro nominations
  • Never led the league in anything besides interceptions
Outside two great playoff runs where he had a great defense, Eli hasn't done enough to justify being in the Hall of Fame. If he gets in, he replaces Aikman as the worst QB in the HOF. At least, Aikman was part of a great Dallas dynasty.

Last edited:

USA, what the hell do you do to walkers crisps?

Bought Lays from a wallmart as packaging and logo was identical (so just brand name different I thought), what a mistake!

Bland flavourless cardboard. Salt and vinegar tasted like someone had washed old ready salted crisps under the tap. Like the flavourings were too much expense to add? Disgusting.

But I find most USA food like butter etc was also pretty awful. Can't wait for your chlorinated chicken btw..... Maybe that's why you think everything tastes like chicken? Cuz you wash the flavour out whilst washing faeces off your food pre packaging instead of having hygienic factories in the first place?

Get some proper flavour in your food! I want to air drop uk prawn cocktail crisps to you.

In USA defence, they can cook a steak to perfection with slight of hand.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

No. He got lucky twice with talented receivers. His passes both times were horse shit. Otherwise Giants D carried them both games.

Fuck Eli Manning piece of shit.
Found the Patriot's fan. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:
Cadbury’s chocolate is best chocolate.

Cadbury everything is super common everywhere in the states...so technically its also an american treat

They have halva everywhere around here in LA...both iranian and indian (soft warm )varieties

speaking of turkey i do like turkish delights...especially rose flavored

Last edited:
The Foster's bitter can is pretty decent.
Not award-winning by any means, but

You've lost your mind, bro?

No way in hell Eli is first ballot.

• Zero MVPs
  • Zero offensive player of the year awards
  • Zero all pro nominations
  • Never led the league in anything besides interceptions
Outside two great playoff runs where he had a great defense, Eli hasn't done enough to justify being in the Hall of Fame. If he gets in, he replaces Aikman as the worst QB in the HOF. At least, Aikman was part of a great Dallas dynasty.
Naturally the Cowboys fan comes running with his star 😂.
No. He got lucky twice with talented receivers. His passes both times were horse shit. Otherwise Giants D carried them both games.

Fuck Eli Manning piece of shit.
You’re coming across as an absolute idiot. Talented receivers? Manning has never had a perennial Pro Bowl wideout. Does David Tyree’s 600 career receiving yards make him talented, does Amani Toomer belong in the Hall of Fame? How did the Giants defence carry him with a washed up Michael Strahan at the end of his rope?

He made great plays in the playoffs and Super Bowl against some great NFC teams. Did it all with an average receiving corp and ok running game with Brandon Jacobs, along with a good but not lights out defence. Hate him as much as you want but call it straight you childish moron.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Naturally the Cowboys fan comes running with his star 😂.

You’re coming across as an absolute idiot. Talented receivers? Manning has never had a perennial Pro Bowl wideout. Does David Tyree’s 600 career receiving yards make him talented, does Amani Toomer belong in the Hall of Fame? How did the Giants defence carry him with a washed up Michael Strahan at the end of his rope?

He made great plays in the playoffs and Super Bowl against some great NFC teams. Did it all with an average receiving corp and ok running game with Brandon Jacobs, along with a good but not lights out defence. Hate him as much as you want but call it straight you childish moron.
No u.

;_;

LMJ

I can just tell you as an American, those are not the kind of Flamin Hot Cheetos we have here our powder is far more red

Hersheys owns and distributes cadbury. its an american company now....checkmate
Still a British company even though it's American owned. It's never surprising when a US company buys something, your entire country is based around the ideology of bigger, faster, fatter, buy low, sell high for huge profit. God Bless USA!

Still a British company even though it's American owned. It's never surprising when a US company buys something, your entire country is based around the ideology of bigger, faster, fatter, buy low, sell high for huge profit. God Bless USA!
Enjoy your American Chocolate!! EST 1987

SirTerry-T

"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!
Mr Rowntree-Tyneside, England 1881 after the first successful taste of a Fruit Pastille.

Last edited:
Top Bottom