• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Can Keep That S**t! - Experiences With Foreign Confectionary & Snacks

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I am going to post from USAGaf. For about 1 year or so, there has been a critical shortage of an Australian delicacy.

Tim Tams
No longer in Target or Safeway, way too expensive on Amazon.

Nope. You want the VASTLY superior British Penguin. Australian chocolate is pretty fucking rank most of the time.

Star-Lord

That phrasing makes it sound like a really dirty euphemism..."It's pay day. I'm a bit horny let's see what I can get for a fiver down the local knocking shop".

Or is that just me?
That certainly wasn’t my intention, but it does sound rather seedy. Who doesn’t love a good jar of Fluff?

Tschumi

Japanese Umeboshi candies.. super sour plum flavour... it's not awful, i can handle it, and i understand why people would love it, but i will never, never want it.

also, chinese marinated chicken feet packets.

Artoris

Gold Member
I usually buy a box of dagashi from Japan on eBay once or twice a year it's a snack selection (mostly sweets) and it's not too expensive

dave_d

That’s not true Cadbury’s. True Cadbury’s comes from the West Midlands in England. Anything else is merely a poor imitation.

1824 in England, pal. Checkmate.
Isn't the problem in the US what's labelled as "Cadbury" is the fake stuff made by Hershey's? I really need to stop by the local english import shop and buy some real Cadbury to give it a try. (I'm being lazy, it's like a 15 minute drive from me but only open 3 days a week.) That and jelly babies since I've heard of them and have no idea if they're any good.

Star-Lord

Isn't the problem in the US what's labelled as "Cadbury" is the fake stuff made by Hershey's? I really need to stop by the local english import shop and buy some real Cadbury to give it a try. (I'm being lazy, it's like a 15 minute drive from me but only open 3 days a week.) That and jelly babies since I've heard of them and have no idea if they're any good.
Hershey’s bought the license to produce sell Cadbury in the US, but changed the recipe. The genuine Cadbury, bought by Kraft, tastes superior. I can’t tell the difference between the old Cadbury and Kraft Cadbury.

Jelly Babies are god-tier fruit jelly sweets.

dave_d

Hershey’s bought the license to produce sell Cadbury in the US, but changed the recipe. The genuine Cadbury, bought by Kraft, tastes superior. I can’t tell the difference between the old Cadbury and Kraft Cadbury.

Jelly Babies are god-tier fruit jelly sweets.
Does brand matter that much? They sell Bassett's Jelly babies.

squallheart

Sugars are something that all people of assorted races and ethnic backgrounds are partial too and it doesn't come as a surprise with the amount of confectionary consumed in the world. But I'm not talking about candies and snacks available to you because that would be boring, but those from other countries which are present albeit hard to find. Those foreign items that can't be purchased from the local convenience store because your country's version of it exists and instead have to be bought in supermarkets or ordered online, or perhaps were tasted on holiday?

An example would be Heinz Ketchup, even though it's American I can find it all over my local corner shops so it's excluded. But something like Sweet Baby Ray's is only available at the American food section at the supermarket and can be submitted. Food and foreign cuisines aren't to be included. Branded sweets, cakes, biscuits, crisps are the meat of this thread and I won't be surprised to see few submissions due to foreign brands being difficult to come by in certain countries due to import tax and lacking popularity.

I'm also not expecting USAGAF to make much of an appearance here as they basically have their own versions or the sweets themselves are American in origin lol.

Mine:

Name: Tootsie Roll
Purchased: US Foods Aisle, Supermarket
Rating: 2/5

s-l400.jpg

Can't believe Americans actually eat this crap. One of the reasons I bought one was because Washington Redskins cornerback Darrell Green would eat them and claim they made him run fast. Well Darrell was talking bullshit as somebody took coffee grounds and basically made a candy bar out of it. The smooth texture of this sweet is the only redeeming feature.

Name: Cheetos Flamin' Hot
Purchased: US Foods Aisle, Supermarket
Rating 4/5

65856_main.jpg

These crisps aren't as spicy and exciting as the packaging makes them out to be. But I absolutely love how they're covered in flavouring powder so I often lick them clean and then eat them. The spice is not overwhelming either and I enjoy a bag of Cheetos whenever I come across them.

Name: Jolly Rancher
Purchased: Candy Store With Foreign Sweets
Rating 4/5

jolly-rancher-original-flavours-3oz-85g-800x800.png

These taste like ice lollies which we have in this country and are difficult to come by due to their high import tax. I was able to purchase a bag of 85g for about £2 which is an absurd amount for so few sweets but they're nice although I find they're a little too sweet and high on sugar.

bender

What time is it?
My favorite are white chocolate covered licorice candies from Iceland called Djuper.

djupur.jpg

I'm sure they will never catch on in the US as most of us seem to hate licorice but in a few months, I've got a connecting flight in Reykjavik. I'll be picking up ten bags!

Licorice is the devil's dirty asshole.

No, I just don’t get the ‘joke’ - I know it’s a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. I just don’t get the link?
Theres no "joke" its a delicious reeses cup. Dont take everything so serious...Cadbury sucks balls anyway...good chocolate comes from Belgium and switzerland

Top Bottom