• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can minimize the Youtube app now on iphone/pad without it closing out? They FINALLY added this feature it seems

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was watching a video on Youtube today on my ipad and I swiped to go to my browser to check something and to my surprise the video was still there in the bottom corner of my screen. As long as I've had the Youtube app on my mobile devices, it's always been, if you exit the app, the video doesn't stay up. I read the reasons Youtube designed it this way, I forget exactly what they were.

But apparently they finally added this feature now? You can actually do other stuff while also watching youtube on your phone or ipad? I gotta say, I fucking hate the amount of ads YT has, but this is the biggest addition to the app I can ever remember. Unless it's some type of bug and they will fix it later or something.

I googled and couldn't find anything about this in any app update notes.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I was watching a video on Youtube today on my ipad and I swiped to go to my browser to check something and to my surprise the video was still there in the bottom corner of my screen. As long as I've had the Youtube app on my mobile devices, it's always been, if you exit the app, the video doesn't stay up. I read the reasons Youtube designed it this way, I forget exactly what they were.

But apparently they finally added this feature now? You can actually do other stuff while also watching youtube on your phone or ipad? I gotta say, I fucking hate the amount of ads YT has, but this is the biggest addition to the app I can ever remember. Unless it's some type of bug and they will fix it later or something.

I googled and couldn't find anything about this in any app update notes.
yeah they did a while back (a couple months ago i wanna say), but it stopped working for me lol. i havent figured out how to get it to turn back on. its infinitely stupid that it has taken this long for them to do it. glad its working for you.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

I thought you needed YT Premium for this?
actually this would make sense. i had a free trial youtube premium a coupe months back. it must have ran out which is why it stopped working for me

I thought so too, but I don't have it and today for the first time it started doing this for me. Unless it's some bug where it thinks I have premium.

welp nevermind lol. i dunno man. it definitely does not work for me right now, and i dont have premium

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
actually this would make sense. i had a free trial youtube premium a coupe months back. it must have ran out which is why it stopped working for me

welp nevermind lol. i dunno man. it definitely does not work for me right now, and i dont have premium
Weird. I tried it on all 3 devices and it's working on all of them for me. Honestly, probably too good to be true and it'll go away. I still have ads though, so I don't think it thinks I have premium.

*Nightwing

iOS had a recent update and it’s probably a bug from it, YouTube app will probably update soon to keep it a premium feature only again in a few days

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
iOS had a recent update and it’s probably a bug from it, YouTube app will probably update soon to keep it a premium feature only again in a few days
Possibly. One of my devices is still on an older update and it works. I just went on Twitter and did a search for "Youtube minimize" and a lot of people are having this now too apparently. Cross your fingers it's a new feature and not a bug.

Edit: I googled again and I found this. Doesn't seem like a major tech website, but whatevr

Edit again:

Appears legit.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Top Bottom