• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You Can Play The Last Of Us 2 On Base PS4 With Unlocked Frame rate

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No I think the pro ran them at 1800p, 30fps which is the checkerboard 4K solution.

The remastered versions are going to be...
Native 4K, 30fps
1800p,60fps checkerboard 4K
1080p, 120fps.
Nd doesnt do checkerboard. Their games ran at 1440p

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Since when? Maybe I'm mistaken. Im sure NX gamer probably did some kind of video about it. I thought that every game that got a PS4 Pro upgrade used the checkerboard solution.
Since they first realized that checkerboard didn’t work well with their AA. When the ps4 pro was first revealed, uncharted 4 was using checkerboarding but then by the time the console came out they had settled for 1440p. Lost legacy and tlou2 were both 1440p.

Md Ray

It's not like one game using 100% of the gpu will produce more heat than other game running 100%
In some cases it's possible. For example, running DOOM 2016/Eternal at 100% GPU produces more heat and increases power consumption than, say, running AssCreed Origins/Odyssey. I noticed this on both my PC and console (PS4).

PS4's and GPU fans inside my PC go nuts particularly in DOOM games, but not so much when running AC games even in scenes where heavy frame-rate drops occur like the cut-scenes which tend to be more GPU-heavy than CPU, temps are much lower too.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Ghosts of Tsushima would definitely be able to run at 60 on a PS4 pro if they tried with a few compromises.
No GIF

assurdum

Banned
Since they first realized that checkerboard didn’t work well with their AA. When the ps4 pro was first revealed, uncharted 4 was using checkerboarding but then by the time the console came out they had settled for 1440p. Lost legacy and tlou2 were both 1440p.
Source?

Skifi28

I don't get the excitement, we already know what variable fps from 30 to 50 feels like and the ps4 doesn't have VRR. Sounds terrible like Sekiro, Dark souls 3, monster hunter and others.

RPSleon

I'd highly advise against this, sounds like a major bug/oversight and it's probably not healthy for your PS4 to run this game unlocked. I'd try to let naughty dog know.
After letting nx and df know. I wanna see SOMEONE test it properly first atleast.

After letting nx and df know. I wanna see SOMEONE test it properly first atleast.
Running a game with an unlocked frame rate will not harm the console hah. You realize you can run god of war unlocked as well as infamous second son if you want right from the menu in the game.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
good for PS4 peasants, me PS5 masterrace on the other hand, shall enjoy TRUE 60fps.

On Demand

Banned
Nobody else tried this? Can’t just be my specific game.

Unless it’s a save file glitch. I’ll try a brand new game and see if it still works.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn. I wish i didnt uninstall the game on PS5 last night because id love to try this on the PS5 and see if I can run this above 60 fps.

If the base PS4 is running this at 1080p 40-50 fps then the PS5 should be able to run it around 90 FPS at Pro settings.

If the game can't output a 120hz signal (that PS5 does not output at 120 unless the game tells it to do that) you won't be able to get over 60 either way.

Looks like Naughty Dog are trying to finally catch up with the masterpiece that is Knack 2.
Oh, I remember the fact that my PS4 was always revving up with that game.

That's fine by me, made me clean them vents. Best thing I got out of it, now that I think about it.

The chances of it breaking the hardware are null, btw so hope naughty dog doesn't patch it out, or if they do, they make it an option.
You need to tweet digital foundry right now.
This needs to be reported to DF team immediately 🤣
... So they do a 1 hour video plus a roundtable about this. (do it)

Last edited:

Md Ray

Nobody else tried this? Can’t just be my specific game.

Unless it’s a save file glitch. I’ll try a brand new game and see if it still works.
I did, and yes, it unlocks the frame-rate on my end too. It's pretty cool.

And I also noticed some pretty massive stutters in Jackson where you see a lot of NPC activity, likely caused due to CPU getting maxed out from unlocked frame-rate.

Ceadeus

Damn. I wish i didnt uninstall the game on PS5 last night because id love to try this on the PS5 and see if I can run this above 60 fps.

If the base PS4 is running this at 1080p 40-50 fps then the PS5 should be able to run it around 90 FPS at Pro settings.
Tlou2 on PS5 is not 60 fps by default?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Tlou2 on PS5 is not 60 fps by default?
nope, it was patched later.
Some ps4 games were locked in 30fps default.
PS5 runs games at PS4 PRO performance.
If PS4 Pro runs at 30fps initially, PS5 will likely runs at 30fps as well unless patched.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
PC gamers love low resolution, stutter and screen tearing, but they'll never tell you that.

Look, I play this game at 480p stretched because it makes the hit markers fatter and I get 1,126fps which makes my input lag like .023ms so I can take out my opponents the fastest. Just don't tell them that their internet connection negates all of that.
If the other people are playing online, then the difference does add up.

Competitive gamers run 1280x960 stretched on a 1080p 24" screen with over 300 fps.
Most PC CPUs/GPUs can go up to 100C before a shutdown happens. Imagine if your CPU/GPU ran at 95C for extended periods of time, that would obviously reduce the lifespan of the component.
Parts slow down as they reach TJ max. Assuming you repaste as often as needed (I'd repaste every six months to a year if running it that hard), then your components will be fine.

You should only be hitting these temps if you're doing serious overclocking. Otherwise get something with better airflow. Obviously the PS4 doesn't have the best airflow design, but it will likely be OK. I'd repaste a PS4 now if I still had one though.

You should be more worried about electromigration, which will become an increasing problem as nodes get smaller.

NXGamer

I discovered this by accident while playing around with the display settings. For some reason when you reset the settings it unlocks the frame rate. I reset my settings by mistake and was surprised to see that the frame rate got smoother. I thought the motion blur settings broke or something.

When you go into the display menu it should say “reset to defaults.” That option should be available even if everything is already at default settings. If you don’t see the option then try changing a setting then reset. Not sure which way is suppose to work or if it even matters. When i start my game the option to reset settings is always there regardless if all settings are at 10.

I don’t know why doing this makes the frame rate unlock. It must be a glitch. Maybe something leftover from the 60fps PS5 patch. The fans even speed up after you reset the settings because the frame rate is increased. If i had to guess i would say it hovers around the 40’s and 50’s fps. Staying on the high frame rate side in smaller areas.

Note that when going back to the main menu and starting the game again, the frame rate stays unlocked. If you close the game entirely and start again, it goes back to the normal frame rate and you’ll have to reset the display settings again to unlock it.
Great find O On Demand , I hope you do not mind, but I referenced you in my video up today. Can confirm you are bang on it does indeed unlock the Frame-rate on PS4 and Pro, interesting data points here and was fun working through it and comparing, good find.

Banned
I wish all games had an unlock option out of the box.

exactly. thanks to such an option we now have the choice between the original Bioshock and the remaster on Xbox. some do not like the graphical changes in the remaster, and they still can play it at 60fps on One X/Series consoles because of the option to disbale vsync.

which honestly makes me wonder if these games are locked to 60fps 🤔 I don't think anyone has tried running them at 120hz yet... I might try this later tbh

Top Bottom