• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You ever challenge yourself to do stupid, inane, pointless things?

Given the pandemic, I thought it might be fun to challenge myself to watch a single horror movie every single day this year.

I have no idea why I decided to do this. It was really fun at first but it's starting to feel like a chore. It's already almost September though so I feel like I should just muscle through it and finish.

Full disclosure, I have broken the rules slightly over the past year. I didn't watch any while on vacation out of state for 2 weeks in May. I also created an exception where I allowed myself to skip a movie if I watched a horror TV show of equal length (for example, I watched the first 4 episodes of Brand New Cherry Flavor 2 nights ago and finished the rest of the series last night).

I'm watching this gem right now:

MV5BNzg1OTA0YzUtZWExMS00ZGM3LTgzMGQtNjMwMzZiOWQ5ZWQxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Not sure what it is about this film but it got me questing my life decisions. Maybe I'm just a masochist. Anyone else decide to do stupid shit like this?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Why do you have to shit on yourself. If you want to watch a horror movie every day, I wouldn't classify that as stupid, inane, and pointless. I see where you're going with the concept, but I can't relate. Last year, when the pandemic started, I stopped drinking and got in shape. I've gone all to shit now, but still.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
If it's a fulfilling task to the person undertaking it, I'd never call it stupid. Unless you woke up one day and were like "I want to challenge myself to sticking all of my silverware in my electrical sockets,"

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
My friend Jason and I once forced ourselves to watch through THE HOWLING 7: NEW MOON RISING in its entirety.

It was the longest hour and a half I've ever experienced, and I'm sure the two of us lost several braincells in the process. I seemingly remember it being more about PAPPY'S CHILI than actual werewolves.

This man knows of the pain in which I speak..

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Real life pointless Xbox Achievements? Yup, I've done that.

Can I do a 40 hour week in an office and not do a single bit of work? Not send any emails, write any documents, attend any meetings, just be there at my desk posting on forums and IM-ing my friends and not get noticed doing nothing.

Just%20turn%20up%20for%20free%20money

Daymos

I am going play the trails in sky/cold steel story arc of games, so:
trails in the sky
trails in the sky sc
trails in the sky the 3rd
trails from zero
trails to azure
trails of cold steel 1
trails of cold steel 2
trails of cold steel 3
trails of cold steel4

Right now I'm on trails in the sky sc very near to the final battle.. only 700 hours to go! That's only like 3 months of an MMORPG!

Tschumi

I was once on the rebound from a 5 year relationship and challenged myself to, fraiser-like, woo and bed two perfectly great girls at the same time then sabotage both relationships utterly by being honest to both of them about my difficulty in choosing between the two. Hell of an achievement there. One of them waged a psychological war against me of leading me on but never giving me anything for months after - looking back i think she was fucking badass to do that lol, bravo you

nush

Gold Member
I was once on the rebound from a 5 year relationship and challenged myself to, fraiser-like, woo and bed two perfectly great girls at the same time then sabotage both relationships utterly by being honest to both of them about my difficulty in choosing between the two. Hell of an achievement there. One of them waged a psychological war against me of leading me on but never giving me anything for months after - looking back i think she was fucking badass to do that lol, bravo you

An expat I was friends with wanted to compete with me on the 7 day challenge. Bed a different women one a day for a a week.

jason10mm

Gold Member
An expat I was friends with wanted to compete with me on the 7 day challenge. Bed a different women one a day for a a week.
You know you are getting old when that feels f'n exhausting :p

Closest I ever got to that was 4 in a week. 2 online relationships bearing fruit and then getting lucky with a co-worker and a neighbor just by chance. Damned near kilt me :p

Mossybrew

I must have been like, 7, sitting on a short stool bored at home, and I realized that if I fell forward off the stool, my arms would automatically come up to break my fall. I then wondered if I could overcome this reflex. After a few tries I did and fell flat on my face on the living room carpet. When I ran crying to my dad with a bloody nose he didn't believe my story.

Early lesson on, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Eat like two pounds of carrots in a day or pounds of greens in a day or like 14 servings of rice/over two thousand calories. Mainly just food challenges.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Given the pandemic, I thought it might be fun to challenge myself to watch a single horror movie every single day this year.

I have no idea why I decided to do this. It was really fun at first but it's starting to feel like a chore. It's already almost September though so I feel like I should just muscle through it and finish.

Full disclosure, I have broken the rules slightly over the past year. I didn't watch any while on vacation out of state for 2 weeks in May. I also created an exception where I allowed myself to skip a movie if I watched a horror TV show of equal length (for example, I watched the first 4 episodes of Brand New Cherry Flavor 2 nights ago and finished the rest of the series last night).

I'm watching this gem right now:

Not sure what it is about this film but it got me questing my life decisions. Maybe I'm just a masochist. Anyone else decide to do stupid shit like this?
I used to collect classic horror films (collection was over 700 rare / b-movie titles. This one sucked. I put this one in a C-grade category along with a few others from the 80's like: Scalps, anything Troma, the Oracle, and an obscure one called 'The Game.'

I challenged my self to prank people with fart bombs in every way, shape, and form when I was 20/21. I don't mess around like that anymore.

I used to collect classic horror films (collection was over 700 rare / b-movie titles. This one sucked. I put this one in a C-grade category along with a few others from the 80's like: Scalps, anything Troma, the Oracle, and an obscure one called 'The Game.'

I challenged my self to prank people with fart bombs in every way, shape, and form when I was 20/21. I don't mess around like that anymore.
What happened to your collection?

My friend Jason and I once forced ourselves to watch through THE HOWLING 7: NEW MOON RISING in its entirety.

It was the longest hour and a half I've ever experienced, and I'm sure the two of us lost several braincells in the process. I seemingly remember it being more about PAPPY'S CHILI than actual werewolves.

This man knows of the pain in which I speak..

You should send a copy to Red Letter Media

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
What happened to your collection?
I moved to Mexico in July 2016 and had to decide what things were going and which would stay. A family member took the entire horror collection and after getting married later the same year; I didn't feel like continuing with the whole vintage horror collection thing anymore. So, 85% was sold to a local music/video store in my old hometown. I did ask for a few select titles to be shipped out to me. The only things I regret losing were the special criterion collections, blu-ray collectors sets, and the full 5 seasons of Twilight Zone (original) definitive collection.

I moved to Mexico in July 2016 and had to decide what things were going and which would stay. A family member took the entire horror collection and after getting married later the same year; I didn't feel like continuing with the whole vintage horror collection thing anymore. So, 85% was sold to a local music/video store in my old hometown. I did ask for a few select titles to be shipped out to me. The only things I regret losing were the special criterion collections, blu-ray collectors sets, and the full 5 seasons of Twilight Zone (original) definitive collection.
99% of my collection has been in storage since I moved a few years ago. I’m eventually likely just going to have to get rid of it but I’ve been putting it off. Physical media just takes up so much damn space.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
99% of my collection has been in storage since I moved a few years ago. I’m eventually likely just going to have to get rid of it but I’ve been putting it off. Physical media just takes up so much damn space.
I didn't mind the physical media but until I had actually stepped away and realized how much money I wasted on all that when I could have been spending it on more substantial things; that's where it hit me...if I kept the collection...it's never going to end. I still collect retro anime but I only buy 4-5 titles per year either used or remastered. At my height of collecting for either horror or old anime it was like 45 shipments per month for 4 years.

I didn't mind the physical media but until I had actually stepped away and realized how much money I wasted on all that when I could have been spending it on more substantial things; that's where it hit me...if I kept the collection...it's never going to end. I still collect retro anime but I only buy 4-5 titles per year either used or remastered. At my height of collecting for either horror or old anime it was like 45 shipments per month for 4 years.
I think most of us has had a time in our life where we went arguably a little overboard with a hobby or two

sounds you had an awesome collection though

Top Bottom