• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You know longer need an invite to preorder the PSVR2 headset directly from Sony.

https://www.engadget.com/ps-vr2-preorder-playstation-direct-sony-181126989.html
If you missed out on securing a pre-order for Sony's PlayStation VR2 headset, you're in luck. The PlayStation Direct store no longer requires an invitation to place a PS VR2 pre-order.

You won't necessarily have to wait for months to get your hands on the next-gen PS5 headset either, as The Verge points out. As things stand, Sony expects to deliver the device between its February 22nd launch date and February 28th.

The initial wave of pre-orders required would-be PS VR2 owners to register their interest and hope they got an invitation from Sony. Now, you can reserve one and at least give yourself the option picking up the headset in February, especially given that it's unclear how much stock Sony will have at launch. You could always cancel a pre-order if you change your mind.

You can now preorder without an invite directly from the PlayStation Direct store without having to deal with waiting for an invitation.

Last edited:
Probably thought that they would fly off the shelves and be picked up by scalpers without the invite system in place. It’s the right move for them to make following the issues with PS5 supplies over the last two years.

I’m looking forward to it personally. I’m also hoping that someone puts out a driver on PC for the headset as I’ve got a bunch of PC VR games that I want to revisit with a better headset.

kyliethicc

tommib

Best news of the day. I never got the fucking invite despite registering a thousand times. Getting mine now! Standard edition because I hate everything Horizon!
d7vOcR5.jpg

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It was a good idea to have pre-order invitations to try and mitigate the scalper issue even if it ended up being unnecessary. Shame it sounds like the invitation thing was kind of a mess though.

Rambone

I saw the price, kinda expected and then looked at the games and decided that I do not need one right away as I'm a bit tapped out from black friday deals and Christmas gifts. Not very good timing.

Reactions: Isa
I need to see a list of games that will get PSVR2 ports before I even consider.

Honestly I don't even care about most of them since I've already played them and probably don't want to again, but some games like Puzzling Places are continually getting puzzle updates and I am not going to juggle two headsets just to keep playing it.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
You KNOW, they abandoned all the games from their first try at VR. I KNOW my answer to the second try at VR is going to be NO.
This is dumb. What did they abandon? They got in somewhat prematurely... the tangle of wires, camera, old moves technology was too much hassle for most, and not forward thinking. But those shortcomings are plainly obvious in hindsight. So they addressed all of them in the follow-up. If you're talking about the PSVR2 not being completely backwards compatible, we'll that's a really dumb expectation if you think about it for more than two seconds.

At any rate... I think the invites were (again addressing a previous problem) them just trying to avert another fiasco with scalpers. I don't know that it's a good idea to draw conclusions about demand from any of this, given how little information we have about any of the numbers / their goals.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I didn't preorder but I plan on getting one at launch.

I did get the email though, it was funny, I signed up the day it went active and wasn't sure if I'd get an email invite but I immediately did. I then thought about it and it's like yea, of course Sony would send it to me. I have a PS5, got the camera adaptor for PSVR, etc. There's probably less than 500k people in that boat so of course they're gonna send the invite to people who already have that stuff registered to their account. I can't imagine that the demand is overwhelming, such a niche market.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

tommib

Wait, 6 HUNDRED EUROS. I thought it suppose to be 500
600 European bucks. Fingers crossed for VR GT7 coming soon. I’ll replay RE Village in VR since I own it. I don’t particularly like it but I’m sure it should be a great experience in VR.

Hope they patch some of my PSVR games. Would love to replay Thumper with the increased resolution and OLED screen. Still one of my favourite VR games.

Last edited:

NickFire

It looks cool and I’d love to try it out. But it’s just not a time I’ll spend that much on an accessory. If it starts getting serious modes in games like GT, then I’ll be watching sales like a hawk.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
ill probably wait for a year and buy it, launch model tend to be wonky.

Last edited:
This is dumb. What did they abandon? They got in somewhat prematurely... the tangle of wires, camera, old moves technology was too much hassle for most, and not forward thinking. But those shortcomings are plainly obvious in hindsight. So they addressed all of them in the follow-up. If you're talking about the PSVR2 not being completely backwards compatible, we'll that's a really dumb expectation if you think about it for more than two seconds.

At any rate... I think the invites were (again addressing a previous problem) them just trying to avert another fiasco with scalpers. I don't know that it's a good idea to draw conclusions about demand from any of this, given how little information we have about any of the numbers / their goals.

This is correct.

PSVR1 was a prototype for VR, really the earliest gen VR you could get. But they had to release it then to get exposure.

Now VR is maturing a lot more. We have dedicated controllers, inside out tracking, much better resolution, and much better hardware supplying the graphics. There's really no 'abandonment'. There's no reason why there won't be plenty to play from third party VR games also available on other platforms. And I suspect Sony will continue to have meaningful titles occasionally.

And you're also right about pre-orders. Sony wanted the hardcore to get their shot first, and then roll it out sequentially to the public. I would not make any judgments about sales. It'll sell out of the 2M shipment for launch, which is good for something that is expensive and requires a PS5. It'll do a LOT better right out of the gate than PSVR1.

dano1

A Sheep
You KNOW, they abandoned all the games from their first try at VR. I KNOW my answer to the second try at VR is going to be NO.
Had the first one and sold it. My answer to the second one is preorder. This is what I wanted the first time and Im fine with whatever company wants to give a free upgrade. But the old games us a totally different controller system so I see why it’s not compatible.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wow. And the announcement was less than a month ago. Hold tight gamers. If they got too much supply when it launches, expect price cuts or a bunch of bundled games as added value to flush out inventory.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe if they had games that didnt look like shovelware releasing at launch there wouldve been more excitement. whats the point of 4k screens, oled, fucking eye tracking and hdr if the game look like Wii shovelware?

Everything should look like Horizon minimum. You are trying to get to ready player one graphics. if you cant get there, dont bother.

Maybe if they had games that didnt look like shovelware releasing at launch there wouldve been more excitement. whats the point of 4k screens, oled, fucking eye tracking and hdr if the game look like Wii shovelware?

Everything should look like Horizon minimum. You are trying to get to ready player one graphics. if you cant get there, dont bother.

RE8, Horizon, RE4

I’m pretty excited to play some older games with better visuals too

dano1

A Sheep
Every unit made by February 22nd will be sold. Why should it matter how they sell them all. VIP customers will get the first wave of shipments. That’s fine with me. If you haven’t even tried VR you probably shouldn’t be commenting anyway.

hlm666

I wouldn't wait too long on that one, maybe the next GT.
It should be the easiest game for them to patch for VR nearly every pc cockpit sim gets VR support, hell microsoft put VR support in flight sim and they don't even have VR for their consoles. If they don't have GT updated for VR at release I question just how committed they are with VR.

Crayon

I didn't preorder but I plan on getting one at launch.

I did get the email though, it was funny, I signed up the day it went active and wasn't sure if I'd get an email invite but I immediately did. I then thought about it and it's like yea, of course Sony would send it to me. I have a PS5, got the camera adaptor for PSVR, etc. There's probably less than 500k people in that boat so of course they're gonna send the invite to people who already have that stuff registered to their account. I can't imagine that the demand is overwhelming, such a niche market.

I got all that and I didn't get the invite.

Okay brb got to go fuck off $600.

Beechos

High cost for who? This isn’t for everyone.
High cost for most people. There are plenty people in the psvr2 thread who will be passing on this who were looking forward to it just because of the cost even people who ordered it like myself think its expensive.

Lets not try to pretend sony is trying to create a ultra high end product here for a select few. Cause thats sooo their intention for psvr 2, create a niche product for already a niche community and limit its potential.

Synless

High cost for most people. There are plenty people in the psvr2 thread who will be passing on this who were looking forward to it just because of the cost even people who ordered it like myself think its expensive.

Lets not try to pretend sony is trying to create an ultra high end product here for a select few. Cause thats sooo their intention for psvr 2, create a niche product for already a niche community and limit its potential.
The intent Sony has here is like all new products that those with means can buy it up front and eventually through sales and price drops, everyone else can then buy it.

Sony has planned PSVR2 since PSVR was released.

What they couldn't plan for is a global recession.

The PS5 might be slightly recession proof and that's yet to be seen really, but PSVR2 certainly won't be, especially without any killer apps.

They really needed GT7 to be a VR2 launch title. The fact that GT7 isn't on PC let alone PSVR2 shows how behind Polyphony Digital is technically.

The only way PSVR2 is a success through this recession is PC Support.

Last edited:
Top Bottom