• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You know longer need an invite to preorder the PSVR2 headset directly from Sony.

Crayon

Theres already a blueprint for vr success. The quest got the price and the wireless right. All sony had to do was release something in that price range, connect to ps5 via wifi6, let the ps5 do all the processing work. People wouldve went nuts. At this price its doa for any mass adoption which is sad since vr is the real next gen of gaming.

You're asking for even more tech at a significantly cheaper price. This is the most advanced headset you can get for the price already.

It's still not clear if the wireless is really viable with the eye tracking info going back and forth. I'm inclined to say nothing is impossible but if they could have simply chucked in a wifi antenna they likely would have done so.

Beechos

You're asking for even more tech at a significantly cheaper price. This is the most advanced headset you can get for the price already.

It's still not clear if the wireless is really viable with the eye tracking info going back and forth. I'm inclined to say nothing is impossible but if they could have simply chucked in a wifi antenna they likely would have done so.
Thats the problem the masses dont need the most advanced tech. See sales of oculus rift, index, vive, whatever high end vr headset. The quest prob has more sales than all those headsets combined in a shorter period to boot. Im actually asking for less tech something like quest 2 but marginally better is just fine, especially since the ps5 will be doing all the processing. Whos going to want to make good vr games with no userbase?

R6Rider

Gold Member
Will be interesting to see what the attachment rate of this will be after the first year.

The amount of games per average Quest 2 user was around 2-3 games.

The opposite was true for PSVR, where the average games per user was 10. That's really high.

Crayon

Thats the problem the masses dont need the most advanced tech. See sales of oculus rift, index, vive, whatever high end vr headset. The quest prob has more sales than all those headsets combined in a shorter period to boot. Im actually asking for less tech something like quest 2 but marginally better is just fine, especially since the ps5 will be doing all the processing. Whos going to want to make good vr games with no userbase?

Probably Sony. They need to either make the games that take advantage of it or foot the bill for ones that do. That's the real problem. If they can manages that, possibly by following through on those vr modes for big games they mentioned, then the price is steep but justified. The best thing psvr1 had going for it was the library so they better double down on that. Games games games. You're right that high tech isn't good enough without games. Neither is a cheap price or wireless tho.

Justin9mm

I decided not to wait for PSVR2, cancelled my pre order and bought a Quest 2 on sale at Black Friday, invested the rest of the saved money instead of buying a PSVR2 to upgrade my PC for VR gaming through the Quest. I had a PSVR and until the Quest 2, I had no idea how much wireless feels like a game changer, being able to go into any room and just turn it on and play wherever I want as well as never worrying about how you are moving or feeling a cable resting on you. I will see how PSVR2 pans out, if it's a success with a good library and on sale down the track then I'll buy it.

Unless you have money to burn, I don't think it's a good deal to buy this @ launch.

Last edited:

I'm surprised there's a lack of VR support for 4GLTE/5G connectivity.

I decided not to wait for PSVR2, cancelled my pre order and bought a Quest 2 on sale at Black Friday, invested the rest of the saved money instead of buying a PSVR2 to upgrade my PC for VR gaming through the Quest. I had a PSVR and until the Quest 2, I had no idea how much wireless feels like a game changer, being able to go into any room and just turn it on and play wherever I want as well as never worrying about how you are moving or feeling a cable resting on you. I will see how PSVR2 pans out, if it's a success with a good library and on sale down the track then I'll buy it.

Unless you have money to burn, I don't think it's a good deal to buy this @ launch.

What PC upgrades did you get with the $150 savings, homey?

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
I cancelled my PSVR 2 preorder today and got a Quest 2 holiday bundle with the PC link cable. I can't be bothered with Sony on another half assed support effort. Not for 820 CAD.

I got the VR1 on launch and then the breakout box didn't work with HDR on PS4 Pro. I was a sport about it and bought the new one that did do it. They could barely be bothered with supporting that system with an "Alyx" like 1st party game. Their new big 1st party effort is for Horizon for VR2. But that was somewhat justifiable at 399.

No vital communication before Christmas. Their VR2 landing page has like 12 games on it. Only vague information about my PSVR1 library carrying over. No indications they're taking it more seriously with long term 1st party than VR1. No news on GT7.

But worst of all... with their track record on supporting peripherals.. 820 bucks Canadian. I'm not spending 820 bucks to play twenty 15 dollar "experiences" again. And dangling Horizon out there for launch isn't going to fool me like Uncharted on Vita did.

I'll get to try Alyx this Christmas instead.

I cancelled my PSVR 2 preorder today and got a Quest 2 holiday bundle with the PC link cable. I can't be bothered with Sony on another half assed support effort. Not for 820 CAD.

I got the VR1 on launch and then the breakout box didn't work with HDR on PS4 Pro. I was a sport about it and bought the new one that did do it. They could barely be bothered with supporting that system with an "Alyx" like 1st party game. Their new big 1st party effort is for Horizon for VR2. But that was somewhat justifiable at 399.

No vital communication before Christmas. Their VR2 landing page has like 12 games on it. Only vague information about my PSVR1 library carrying over. No indications they're taking it more seriously with long term 1st party than VR1. No news on GT7.

But worst of all... with their track record on supporting peripherals.. 820 bucks Canadian. I'm not spending 820 bucks to play twenty 15 dollar "experiences" again. And dangling Horizon out there for launch isn't going to fool me like Uncharted on Vita did.

What exactly is half assed about it? It will be the best gaming headset and controllers on the market when it launches. Significantly better than the Quest 2.

Enjoy your $15 experiences on the Quest 2, homey.

Last edited:

tommib

Apparently so. Salty over a single wire but not Salty about strapping a brick to their head.
It comes with a wire?
dear god no GIF

Justin9mm

What PC upgrades did you get with the $150 savings, homey?
So the world doesn't exist outside of the country you live in? All prices and currency must be the same everywhere else right? Making a joke about the savings because it's $150 difference is arrogant. But let me clarify for you.

1. The saving in my country between the Quest 2 I bought (on sale) and the PSVR2 is $400 not $150.
2. I said I invested the savings, I didn't say that's all I spent.
3. I upgraded my GPU which was lacking for PC VR.

So the world doesn't exist outside of the country you live in? All prices and currency must be the same everywhere else right? Making a joke about the savings because it's $150 difference is arrogant. But let me clarify for you.

1. The saving in my country between the Quest 2 I bought (on sale) and the PSVR2 is $400 not $150.
2. I said I invested the savings, I didn't say that's all I spent.
3. I upgraded my GPU which was lacking for PC VR.

So at the end of the day, it wasn't that you didn't want PSVR2, it's that you wanted to upgrade your PC more, and decided to dabble with a Quest 2. That's fine, you do you, but it doesn't say anything about the state of PSVR2 which will be getting its own unique and compelling experiences made mostly for a more hardcore market, and not the Quest 2 which focuses on more lighter experiences.

Justin9mm

So at the end of the day, it wasn't that you didn't want PSVR2, it's that you wanted to upgrade your PC more, and decided to dabble with a Quest 2. That's fine, you do you, but it doesn't say anything about the state of PSVR2 which will be getting its own unique and compelling experiences made mostly for a more hardcore market, and not the Quest 2 which focuses on more lighter experiences.
I don't want a PSVR2 'right now'. I still want a PSVR2 later down the track. My original comments were not implying that Quest 2 is better. Nothing I said about PSVR2 was negative except that it has a high price point and waiting for a bigger library of games before I jump in. Who are you even debating with? lol

I'm not defending Quest 2 as being better when I say this as it's not, but I'm not sure how you can say Quest 2 is for lighter experiences when you can literally use the display for high end PC VR games?

You are seriously hardcore fanboying the way you're acting; I can see from your other defensive comments. Just stop.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Why? It'll play some PSVR1 games that I already own, plus it'll have great games within the first year. Why wait?

Justin9mm

Why? It'll play some PSVR1 games that I already own, plus it'll have great games within the first year. Why wait?
We have no confirmed list of the PSVR games it will play. It's widely known the price is a bit high considering there's no library of games. We don't know how many or what great games will be in the first year? It's just my opinion, I don't think it makes economical sense to buy day 1, that's just me. It will be a great VR headset no doubt but I'm not going to pay full price to pay the few good games it has available and then shelve it for many more months waiting on more good games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We have no confirmed list of the PSVR games it will play. It's widely known the price is a bit high considering there's no library of games. We don't know how many or what great games will be in the first year? It's just my opinion, I don't think it makes economical sense to buy day 1, that's just me. It will be a great VR headset no doubt but I'm not going to pay full price to pay the few good games it has available and then shelve it for many more months waiting on more good games.

Some devs have come out and said on Twitter that their PSVR1 games will have a free PSVR2 update. Stupid Jim Ryan refuses to properly communicate that to people though. It's the main thing that I hate about him. He hates celebrating all things Playstation. He hates people from within the company talking about and getting excited about Playstation stuff.

Crayon

That's what happens with every platform though. Jumping in at launch leaves you waiting, even if the launch lineup is good. The audience who is down with that is different and they're called early adopters.

Justin9mm

That's what happens with every platform though. Jumping in at launch leaves you waiting, even if the launch lineup is good. The audience who is down with that is different and they're called early adopters.
And that's completely fine. But people are shitting on me for having my opinion that for me it's not worth it at launch. All of sudden I hate PSVR2 because of that opinion lol.

dano1

A Sheep

You will regret that if you ever get a chance to compare both of them in February

Kirkio

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre order. I haven't used VR since I got a free Gear VR with a Galaxy S7 years ago, it was pretty cool watching a film on a virtual cinema whilst on the moon but I ended up selling it on after a few weeks because the screen door effect was a bit too distracting.

What type of jump in quality am I in for? Will I be able to watch films, netflix etc like the gear VR without screen door effect and play normal ps5 games on a virtual big screen?

People give The verge flak sometimes, but it turns out they were right on this one so have to give them credit. This was the hint that the forecast may be slashed.

But while PSVR2 may not have the initial demand that people were expecting, Sony does have over 30 games ready for launch so we'll have to see how it performs after launch. Maybe they end up clearing that 1 million shipment in a few months.

dorkimoe

How do you see your orders on ps direct. I’m logged in and it doesn’t show my pre order anywhere and I pre ordered it a month ago

Rodolink

surprise, how come they think ppl would be as excited to get this thing with the same drive as the console itself which is required to use it.

dorkimoe

Make sure on your accounts "order page" that you sort by the last 6 months and not just 2023. That was how I found the ones I made. Also you should have a confirmation email from them when you preordered it.
I did that. I contacted support. They have no record. I deleted the email for some reason. I usually file them but this one I didn’t 😭

Top Bottom