• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You know longer need an invite to preorder the PSVR2 headset directly from Sony.

Interfectum

Sony has planned PSVR2 since PSVR was released.

What they couldn't plan for is a global recession.

The PS5 might be slightly recession proof and that's yet to be seen really, but PSVR2 certainly won't be, especially without any killer apps.

They really needed GT7 to be a VR2 launch title. The fact that GT7 isn't on PC let alone PSVR2 shows how behind Polyphony Digital is technically.

The only way PSVR2 is a success through this recession is PC Support.
They still could have put the brakes on. This release is going to be a disaster and a massive black eye for their VR aspirations.

Last edited:
They still could have put the brakes on. This release is going to be a disaster and a massive black eye for their VR aspirations.
Put the brakes on to what end?

The recession is going to last anywhere from a year to two years.

I think they need to hurry up and support PC sooner rather than later, but they might be waiting to do that when they have a PC launcher, so delaying the PSVR2 based on that might not make sense.

There are people who wanted this at launch and most quality games will get updates from PSVR1, so don't think they really needed to wait here.

High cost for most people. There are plenty people in the psvr2 thread who will be passing on this who were looking forward to it just because of the cost even people who ordered it like myself think its expensive.

Lets not try to pretend sony is trying to create a ultra high end product here for a select few. Cause thats sooo their intention for psvr 2, create a niche product for already a niche community and limit its potential.
Well, 600 euro for a VR headset with controllers isn't high end by any means. I spent nearly as much at launch with PSVR1 wich was 400 without controllers and required camera. It's pretty a standard price if you are into hardware. In 2016 getting into PSVR felt way more pricey, PS4 hardware and software was cheaper and life was more affordable too pre-pandemic.
For high end hardware 1k are the baseline really imo
On console people are cheaper, nothing wrong about that. It's less enthusiastic public and feel unnecessary extra hardware while spending way more for things perceived necessary like tvs or phones. VR isn't the main course of PS5, so here's the feeling. But if you are into it and know a thing or two about the VR space you already know that PVR2 price is totally legit in 2023.

Sony has planned PSVR2 since PSVR was released.

What they couldn't plan for is a global recession.

The PS5 might be slightly recession proof and that's yet to be seen really, but PSVR2 certainly won't be, especially without any killer apps.

They really needed GT7 to be a VR2 launch title. The fact that GT7 isn't on PC let alone PSVR2 shows how behind Polyphony Digital is technically.

The only way PSVR2 is a success through this recession is PC Support.
You must know that despite what seems a natural fit, motorsport racing games aren't the best choice for VR. They probably have the highest entry barrier from a physical point of view and is one of the genres that make more people sick. I don't think that would be a good idea have GTVR as the main launch game. It has the biggest brand, people naively think that VR is perfect for car racing: it would be bad for those who would first experience VR with that. It would be a disaster, it's far from being a good idea believe me.
Big, famous mainstream launch games should have low entry barriers and be beginner friendly. VR is relatevely new and its market still need to grow

You must know that despite what seems a natural fit, motorsport racing games aren't the best choice for VR. They probably have the highest entry barrier from a physical point of view and is one of the genres that make more people sick. I don't think that would be a good idea have GTVR as the main launch game. It has the biggest brand, people naively think that VR is perfect for car racing: it would be bad for those who would first experience VR with that. It would be a disaster, it's far from being a good idea believe me.
Big, famous mainstream launch games should have low entry barriers and be beginner friendly. VR is relatevely new and its market still need to grow

GT Sport already had a well-received VR mode.

Read well what I said, I was talking about launch games, brand size, beginner friendly games, growing market. That's a lot more on the table than GT Sport, come on

GT Sport proved that GT could do VR without issues.

The early adopters of PSVR2 aren't going to just be "beginners" shelling out 600 dollars on top of a ps5. GT7 would have been an ideal game for these experienced users.

Miles708

I'm always entertained when people say things like "i hope x, y and z will come out at some point" after spending a thousand bucks.

Advertisement works.

Danknugz

Nothing in that launch line up makes me want to run out and buy one. I already have a meta quest 2 that i barely use.
is it compatible with PC/steam though? I was checking the specs and the resolution bump over the index makes it attractive for sims. FoV and controllers /tracking still questionable

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Fortunately enough, it has been very easy to pre order in Canada. It never went out of stock on Amazon. I've got the non horizon model!

hlm666

is it compatible with PC/steam though? I was checking the specs and the resolution bump over the index makes it attractive for sims. FoV and controllers /tracking still questionable
The hp g2 is generally the go to VR headset for sims unless money is no object for a varyo or pimax. The quest 2 works with steam and tracking is a none issue for cockpit games, your normally not even using the hand controls anyway in a sim.

Danknugz

The hp g2 is generally the go to VR headset for sims unless money is no object for a varyo or pimax. The quest 2 works with steam and tracking is a none issue for cockpit games, your normally not even using the hand controls anyway in a sim.
i've tried the g2 and i know people rave about it for sims, and it was super clear but the small fov and clunkiness of the headset cancelled that out for me. i have not tried quest 2 but i believe it also suffers from the narrow FoV. i'm still on CV1 which has massive issues with both FoV and stereo overlap. about to transition to my index which i've had sitting in the closet for a year (waiting on new pc build).

Ideally would prefer a headset with the index 130 degree FoV, native steam support and the psvr2 resolution or higher. Prefer outside in tracking obviously.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like besides some very hardcore psvr fans here, there is a lot less demand now, especially in the casual audience.

The first psvr seem to sour a lot of people, well pretty much everyone I know in real life that played resident evil 7 on the device then put it aside and never really touched again, as there was no other triple a experiences like that afterwards.

Plus the £500+ tag probably doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
Confirmation received! Thank you Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin !
zcqIsIC.jpg
Damn 600 that's a lot. They really need a lot of incredible games to make this a mass market product.

Danknugz

Damn 600 that's a lot. They really need a lot of incredible games to make this a mass market product.
600 was actually how much the oculus CV1 was at launch, and it didn't even come with controllers (strangely, it came with an xbox controller)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not as much demand as they expected.

Not surprising if there’s no BC with previous VR titles. All you have would be the launch lineup which isn’t worth the asking price.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'll get it near the end of 2023/ start of 2024.
It's a shame Astro Bot Rescue Mission can't be patched to work on psvr2, hopefully they will make a psvr2 version of it.

Crayon

What's your source because the common consensus is that the reference a seated cockpit provides helps comfort.

I'm waiting for a sale since the titles don't appeal to me and my psvr is just gathering dust at the moment. The fact pre orders are still available at best buy Canada is a telling sign that there will be ample supply and no need to fomo. I hope the scalpers get burned by this.

Chukhopops

It differs from person to person but it’s true for me, I can do any kind of VR motion (even the standard walk that people find so disorienting) but racing makes me sick within seconds.

I could never do any racing with my Rift S.

Beechos

Well, 600 euro for a VR headset with controllers isn't high end by any means. I spent nearly as much at launch with PSVR1 wich was 400 without controllers and required camera. It's pretty a standard price if you are into hardware. In 2016 getting into PSVR felt way more pricey, PS4 hardware and software was cheaper and life was more affordable too pre-pandemic.
For high end hardware 1k are the baseline really imo
On console people are cheaper, nothing wrong about that. It's less enthusiastic public and feel unnecessary extra hardware while spending way more for things perceived necessary like tvs or phones. VR isn't the main course of PS5, so here's the feeling. But if you are into it and know a thing or two about the VR space you already know that PVR2 price is totally legit in 2023.

See thats the thing if anything this should be made for pc. Yes its all relative, while the price for the tech might not seem expensive for what you get but thats also coming from the pc/enthusiast point of view where rigs can be easily thousands of dollars. Console players are not enthusiasts.

Youre going to have a hard time selling a console add on thats more expensive than the console itself. The lack of enthusiasm in this thread regarding its availability even without a code is already telling.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Not as much demand as they expected.

Not surprising if there’s no BC with previous VR titles. All you have would be the launch lineup which isn’t worth the asking price.
Well we don't know how true that is, maybe they had allocated two batches to invite only pre order then the rest non invite, maybe they have now gone through the invite only allocation. The truth is we just dont know enough information to say whether there is not as much demand, demand has been met or even if demand has been exceeded.

Crayon

Well we don't know how true that is, maybe they had allocated two batches to invite only pre order then the rest non invite, maybe they have now gone through the invite only allocation. The truth is we just dont know enough information to say whether there is not as much demand, demand has been met or even if demand has been exceeded.

Da, I signed up and didn't get an invite and I'm not the only one so it's not super clear what their goal was.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe if they had games that didnt look like shovelware releasing at launch there wouldve been more excitement. whats the point of 4k screens, oled, fucking eye tracking and hdr if the game look like Wii shovelware?

Everything should look like Horizon minimum. You are trying to get to ready player one graphics. if you cant get there, dont bother.
ok im sorry but LMFAO

sure you can get ready player one graphics, if you buy a RTX 4090/Intel I9 13900k PC that costs 4000 dollars and slurps up your power bill

VR is not at that point yet, remember these games need to run at much higher FPS than flat games (bare minimum on flat is 60, on VR it's 90) to prevent severe motion sickness. If Horizon VR had the same visuals as Horizon FW, the game would look better at the cost of you blowing chucks.

And the idea that you shouldn't bother until you get to that point is just... by that logic, video games shouldn't have existed until 2022 since if they can't look as good as... say, Avatar, we shouldn't bother with the medium as whole

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ok im sorry but LMFAO

sure you can get ready player one graphics, if you buy a 4090 PC that costs 4000 dollars.

VR is not at that point yet, remember these games need to run at much higher FPS than flat games (bare minimum on flat is 60, on VR it's 90) to prevent severe motion sickness. If Horizon VR had the same visuals as Horizon FW, the game would look better at the cost of you blowing chucks.

And the idea that you shouldn't bother until you get to that point is just... by that logic, video games shouldn't have existed until 2022 since if they can't look as good as... say, Avatar, we shouldn't bother with the medium as whole
they arent even coming close though. i had figured that they would at least try to match ps4 tlou quality graphics but look at that shovelware lineup. even horizon doesnt look as good as HFW.

SLB1904

Banned
ok im sorry but LMFAO

sure you can get ready player one graphics, if you buy a 4090 PC that costs 4000 dollars.

VR is not at that point yet, remember these games need to run at much higher FPS than flat games to prevent severe motion sickness. If Horizon VR had the same visuals as Horizon FW, the game would look better at the cost of you blowing chucks.

Pure nonsense even. Anyone who tried vr, even cartoon graphics looks real. Your brain adjust because there isn't real life reference to compare

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i had figured that they would at least try to match ps4 tlou quality graphics but look at that shovelware lineup.
They can't, because at the end of the day you're running this on a PS5 which is about as powerful as a midrange/high end PC from 2019. Developers make these so called 'shovelware' graphics because of the limitations of the hardware. The PS5 has to render 2 screens running the same instance of a game, at over 90fps to prevent motion sickness, all while still sporting graphics that are far more realistic than most VR games. (Horizon is up there with HL alyx when it comes to graphics and that's a PC exclusive)
again, there are massive difference between flat and VR games and that's why VR games look the way they do now. The fact you're getting a VR game as good looking as Horizon is a miracle considering how much horsepower you need to properly drive VR

//DEVIL//

That's what you get for being anti-consumer by not even making it backward compatible with the VR games in your same friggin store :/

It's also not wireless as well and not cheap.
The fact it's also a locked store without the ability to mod on the consoles sucks

Still, I am expecting big sales since it has Sony's name on it.

with that being said. I remember PSVR1 used to work on PC with some mod ( not sure if it got official support later on or not, I stopped following up. is the PSVR2 the same?

midnightAI

They can't, because at the end of the day you're running this on a PS5 which is about as powerful as a midrange/high end PC from 2019. Developers make these so called 'shovelware' graphics because of the limitations of the hardware. The PS5 has to render 2 screens running the same instance of a game, at over 90fps to prevent motion sickness, all while still sporting graphics that are far more realistic than most VR games. (Horizon is up there with HL alyx when it comes to graphics and that's a PC exclusive)
again, there are massive difference between flat and VR games and that's why VR games look the way they do now. The fact you're getting a VR game as good looking as Horizon is a miracle considering how much horsepower you need to properly drive VR
I'd argue Horizons graphics look much better than Alyx, it isnt that far away from Forbidden West which is some going. But as you said they wont be quite up there with Forbidden West due to having to render everything at 90fps, although, truthfully, they can get away with 45fps and use reprojection like PSVR 1 to get it to 90fps (or 60fps to get it to 120fps)

Also, seeing graphics in VR is different to seeing them flat screen, that is of course because graphics have true depth to them, there are several PSVR 1 games that look 'ok' on the flat screen but look pretty amazing in VR (Blood and Truth being one of them)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd argue Horizons graphics look much better than Alyx,
personally HL alyx has far better lighting and textures IMO, plus there's an overall better atmosphere crafted with the graphics that horizon doesnt have... but Horizon pushes way more polys and is more open of a game, it feels more like the type of landscape vr was made for.

That being said a PS5 stacking up to a PC headset is an incredible feat, and Horizon is still one of the best looking VR games so i don't get Slimy's abnormally high standards. He doesn't seem to understand the costs of developing in VR at all and a lot of people on this board don't seem to understand that either hence all the animosity and hate towards VR for no good reason. Not much different from the 70s where people predicted video games as a fad.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Paying more money for a VR set than PS5 is nuts.

Putting on VR goggles and playing glorified $30 demos is that important?

Save your money and put it towards a premium sub plan or full budget games.

midnightAI

Paying more money for a VR set than PS5 is nuts.

Putting on VR goggles and playing glorified $30 demos is that important?

Save your money and put it towards a premium sub plan or full budget games.
Ignore the cost of the PS5....
Is paying £529.99 ($549.99) for a 4K OLED HDR 120hz headset with eye tracking (and therefore foveated rendering), 110 degree FOV, haptics in both headset and controllers (and adaptive triggers in the controllers also) nuts? or is that actually quite reasonable for a pretty high end VR headset(which this is)?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is paying £529.99 ($549.99) for a 4K OLED HDR 120hz headset with eye tracking (and therefore foveated rendering), 110 degree FOV, haptics in both headset and controllers (and adaptive triggers in the controllers also) nuts? or is that actually quite reasonable for a pretty high end VR headset(which this is)?
to be entirely fair i wanted it to be cheaper since unlike many VR manufacturers like HTC and HP, Sony has the Playstation brand which could subsidize the cost
i was expecting like 400 dollar price point or 450

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And what master list of awesome games are there justifying a PSVR2 for $550 US (more like $750 CDN)? The set isn't even BC with PSVR1 games to fill the gap with backlog games unless devs do free updates.

midnightAI

And what master list of awesome games are there justifying a PSVR2 for $550 US (more like $750 CDN)? The set isn't even BC with PSVR1 games to fill the gap with backlog games unless devs do free updates.
Well pretty much every new PC VR game is coming out for it along with PlayStation exclusives. Sony have mentioned (several times) that one of the big things they want to do with games going forward is to make hybrid games, games that you can play normally on flat screen but you can also play in VR (like how Resident Evil 7 can be played through either flat screen or VR). Why not wait until Sony announce more games? the headset isnt launched yet, you can wait until you know more about the games that are being made by Sony if you wish.

But anyway, games I'm personally looking forward to:
Horizon: Call of the Mountain
Resident Evil Village
Resident Evil 4
Firewall Ultra
Switchback
and looking forward to seeing whatever Firesprites horror game turns out to be (wonder if that will also use Decima)

People seem to be making a huge deal out of back compatibility, most popular VR games will most likely get updates/upgrades, again, wait and see, the thing comes out in Feb so we'll get much more info before launch I'm sure of it. It isnt backwards compatible because the whole tracking system is completely different as are the controllers (and the buttons on the controllers), imagine seeing the Move controllers on screen which many games used for the setup so they'd need updates anyway just to remove those, unless you expected Sony to stick with the move controllers for PSVR 2 instead (VERY bad idea, those are the worst thing about PSVR1)

Last edited:

ABnormal

to be entirely fair i wanted it to be cheaper since unlike many VR manufacturers like HTC and HP, Sony has the Playstation brand which could subsidize the cost
Since its specs are on par or better (OLED, HDR, Eye tracker that alone costs 250$ on Amazon, that even the costlier VR headsets don't match in quality) than those headsets costing 1000 - 1500 dollars, I would say that it's more than enought subsidized. Its specs are the best possible compromise to have high quality, relatively future proof duration, and relatively low price. Would you use LCD screens? Discard HDR? Lower screen resolution and go back within screendoor threshold perception? For what? To lower the price of maybe 150 dollars, for a peripheral that it's made to last for an entire generation? Or discard eye tracking losing foveated rendering, going back to have a graphical quality one generation behind the current one?
To me, its features are exactly the best possible one I have wished for it to be. Aside the lack of a hand band on the controllers to fast it to the palm. Ugh... why not put it? Now I will be forced to keep grabbing the controllers without the chance to relax the hand from time to time. I think I will add something on my own...

Last edited:

midnightAI

Well we dont know if they aren't subsidizing the cost already (they probably are breaking even though), but if it was $400 and they are breaking even at their current price point then losing $100-$150 per headset would be a massive loss if they sell millions of the things.

Top Bottom