• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You walk by a Gamestop trash bin and see a bunch of game systems they threw out....

You can grab one system. Which one?

• Atari Lynx

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Atari Jaguar

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • 3DO

Votes: 15 7.2%
  • Virtual Boy

Votes: 54 26.0%
  • Philips CD-I

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Amiga 32

Votes: 22 10.6%
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color

Votes: 50 24.0%
  • NEC Super Grafx

Votes: 32 15.4%

• Total voters

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
.... problem is there's other cheap ass dumpster hoppers like you. So you have to bee-line and choose one before they dogpile you for hoarding. It looks like every box and console is in good shape and has all the cables and gamepad. Grab one and go.

Which one do you choose? And post why. Don't care if it's for resaleability, you want to collect it, play it etc...

MaestroMike

Gold Member
None, but if one of them is valuable and I can sell it on eBay for a good chunk of change it'd be that one. But definitely none for my own personal use.

Neo Geo Pocket Color is the only one I would even consider playing today.

All the other ones would just sit around unused if I still had. And I have no space for that.

Also I have used a Virtual Boy. It is janky flickering mess. terrible and made my head and eyes hurt after just a few mins.

Nyxir

disappointed-fridge.gif

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
None to be honest because It’ll be difficult to buy the games for that system and we don’t have something like Ebay here as the industry is still developing so even if I put it on sale online no one will be interested to buy it.

Closer

I'm with those that get one to sell for thousands of dollars now or sometime later down the road.

gundalf

Virtual Boy. Looks like it will fetch a few hundred dollars on eBay.

Too risky since just the act of tossing it to the bin likely damages the internal display mirrors.

I personally choose the neo geo pocket because I love handhelds and I think there is even a flash cart available for it.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Voted Super GraphX changed to NGPC on the basis that I might use it.

Ended up at Virtual Boy because I've never played on one.

Edit: I don't think I've played on any of them, but the VB is different at least.

Last edited:

*Nightwing

I’d use my gained knowledge on sporting events to amass a fortune by betting a’la Biff. Also would buy all the super Mario 64 I can find sealed in box since I have been magically time traveled to over 20 years ago when GameStop still carried all these minus the neogeo pocket that they stopped carrying and discontinued in store like 15 years ago

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Probably the NGPC. It always seemed pretty cool. But I really don't want any of those.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Going by your rules I take the neo geo pocket color because Neo Geo always was rich kids' stuff i could never get...

I stare down the 3 obeses nerds circling the bin like the retro-vultures they are. They back up just long enough to radio reinforcements (ie their moms).
I call in for an airlift and take position on top of the dumpster, firing manly stares down on the occasional neckbeard getting too close.
By the times the collectors' moms arrive, i'm long gone, towards another mission, another proxy war, another dumpster full of gaming trash to fulton back to Mother Base.
I'll never play any of the game systems i grabbed tho, I only did it for the plat.

1414702343369806153.jpg

Tuff McNutt

Is that really a thing?

Yeesh, I thought my job was at the bottom of the scrotum pole. Eh, guess everybody's gotta make a living.
I've done it a few times in the past. You get lucky once in a while, but most stores actually intentionally break stuff before throwing it out so they can claim the loss on taxes. I've seen GameStop dumpsters full of PS1/Dreamcast games that were snapped in half.

TheMan

I’ve been cruising eBay and Facebook marketplace lately looking for good deals on a 3do or saturn. Problem is it’s hard to justify paying out hundreds of bucks for good condition hardware and games and I don’t have an SD TV. Given their age even good condition hardware is likely to break sooner rather than later. And In fact now that I think about it none of my TVs have compatible hookups lol

Last edited:
I already own a 3DO and a Virtual Boy. I guess I'd grab the Jaguar to add to my storage closet of old consoles that I likely will never hook up again.

Fbh

Virtual Boy.
Because I've always been interested in trying one out, and afterward you can get a decent amount by reselling it

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd pick the one worth the most. Someone said VB are $1000? I'm taking that if it's worth the most.

If I was going to play, I'd choose Super Grafx as it can play PC Engine games.

I remember hesitating between a 3DO, a Jaguar and an Amiga CD32 at my local supermarket here in France, back before Christmas 1994. Ended up asking none of these and getting a PlayStation the next year.

.... problem is there's other cheap ass dumpster hoppers like you. So you have to bee-line and choose one before they dogpile you for hoarding. It looks like every box and console is in good shape and has all the cables and gamepad. Grab one and go.

Which one do you choose? And post why. Don't care if it's for resaleability, you want to collect it, play it etc...
I mis one option....none of them. Ive have been gaming from 1978, i had a few of them, like the Phillips CDI, the Atari and ColecoVison and the Sega Saturn, but its time to move on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom