• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favorite strong female characters

Eimran

Hi all, share your favorite strong female character(s) in a game. Anyone you want.

What this thread isn't: OH my god yas queen!!!-characters made by developers for the sake of checking checkboxes for social credit points.

What this thread is: well-written female characters who you genuinely liked, because they have an interesting story, good character development or other reasons.

My favorites:

The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3
UkGGk5u.jpg

This also happens to be my favorite game. I played it almost 20 years ago and still haven't met a female antagonist who I liked better.
I liked her even more when I learned her true motives for her defection and how she actually wasn't an antagonist but payed to ultimate price to serve her country as a patriot.

Sadie Adler - Red Dead Redemption 2
MpEua2O.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2 touched me on a regular basis but Mrs Adler was one of the greatest characters in the game.
She's a character who joined the Van der Linde gang after she and her husband get homejacked (resulting in her husbands death).
She quickly evolved from a depressed widow in the first chapters to a gun wielding killing machine determined to avenge her husbands death against those responsible.
I was really afraid that she'd die in the end of the game considering the fate of 90% of the gang members involved dying.

Jade - Beyond Good and Evil
APkeL3u.jpg

I think she'd be more famous if the game received the attention it deserved but sadly Ubisoft didn't put much effort in advertising this underrated game.
Jade is a journalist who tries to expose the militia who are protecting the people on her planet. Her only weapon (story-wise) is her camera and her courage and determination to find evidence for a sinister alien conspiracy. I liked how despite several setbacks gave everything to finish her mission.

So these were my favorites. Who are yours?

Madflavor

I don't think we'll ever see a cooler, sympathetic, and better written female character as The Boss from MGS3.
fb509a637abc2fdce47504e8e0d88345--art-memes-metal-gear-solid.jpg

Ellie and Abby are I think runner ups for how well written they are, but I think I'd give the honorable mention to Aloy because she's just far more likeable as a human being, and is just a generally well executed example of a young hero on a journey. Most modern female protagonists these days are written with mental and daddy issues. Aloy is driven by her love for adventure and desire to help people, which is a far more noble and endearing trait than two psychos getting everyone around them killed for their quest for vengeance.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
rtQDOCb.jpg

I liked Ashe a lot. She’s tough and gets shit done. She has emotions (and a million things to be emotional about) but she mostly puts on a strong, regal demeanor and doesn’t take shit from anybody.

She also has basically the equivalent of nuclear weapons in her possession and has to decide whether to use them to get revenge against her enemies. It’s a sign of true strength when you have power and you choose not to use it.

Venuspower

I know you are joking but for me this might be the answer. She is a really good character and goes through a whole lot of development
The joke is that I'm even relatively serious about this :D

Away from any female superheroes, Abby is actually quite a believable, strong character. Both physically and mentally. Now you can argue again that Abby's body is unrealistic in such a scenario, but hey.

Mozzarella

Nothing in particular, i enjoy my playthroughs with Jill from Resident Evil, and i think the Portal character is alright. But personally im not very into the badass thing when it comes to female main characters, or maybe most of what has been done was mediocre idk.

Madflavor

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!
Whoa.
Whoa. Whoa.
Wwwwwhoa.

Now hold on there, you guys leave Venuspower Venuspower alone. The question was your favorite Strong Female Characters. It never asked specifically if it meant mentally or physically strong. And since Abby looks like she loves her Steak and Cheese subs, I'd say she's a perfectly fine choice.

Kuranghi

200.gif

Cannot stand Aloy.

I know she seems like a total cunt the way she acts but think of what it would be like to be surrounded by people with such limited understanding your whole life, it would be like being the doctor in this clip (turn on subtitles if you aren't a native english speaker, the sound quality here + accents are tough even for us Britishers), you'd probably be a bit sarcastic:

Top Bottom