• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your favourite Assassin's Creed title.

Which?

• Assassin's Creed (2007)

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • Assassin's Creed 2 (2009)

Votes: 82 27.2%
  • Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (2010)

Votes: 30 9.9%
  • Assassin's Creed: Revelations (2011)

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Assassin's Creed 3 (2012)

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag (2013)

Votes: 52 17.2%
  • Assassin's Creed: Rogue (2014)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Assassin's Creed: Unity (2014)

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate (2015)

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • Assassin's Creed: Origins (2017)

Votes: 31 10.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Odyssey (2018)

Votes: 44 14.6%
  • Assassin's Creed: Valhalla (2020)

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • Potatoes!

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines (PSP)(2009)

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
AC2 because Ezio was an absolute beast of a protagonist, ridiculously charming and the gameplay and open-world really perfected the assassin formula.

Brotherhood was a very close second. The minigames were a fantastic addition.

After that, it kinda went off the rails in terms of the direction of the story, to which it all (i.e. the narrative) mostly stopped mattering anymore.

Soodanim

I gave up after 3 because it was horrible, but I had a lot of love for 1-Rev. It's a difficult choice between those 4 games, they all had strong elements to them.

I definitely think 1 is underrated. It was a bit more subtle in its approach, and while it was a bit less mature in terms of its systems it told the story it wanted to tell well and gave you options along the way.
It's hard to pick between 2 and Brotherhood, although because they're so similar you could say Brotherhood wins by default for being 2 with upgrades.
Revelations brought the whole thing full circle with Altair, and it gets credit for that.
3 killed the series for me. Heard 4 was good, but fuck boats.

Raven117

Gold Member
AC2, Black Flag, Origins, ....then a tie for lots of the others including Valhalla, Unity, even Syndicate.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Origins

Ever since it became obvious that AC will be changing time periods I wanted them to do Egypt. And Origins was everything I wished for in terms of world design. I no other game I spent so much time looking at stuff.

1. Assassin’s Creed 2
2. Brotherhood
3. Revelations

BIG GAP

4. AC 3
5. Black Flags

Tried playing Origin’s but just couldn’t get into it. The “DNA” of it and the ones that followed it are drastically different than AC 1 and the Ezio trilogy. Some argue it’s a good thing but it wasn’t for me. The way the retconned and threw severel plots and storylines in the bin was also a little annoying.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I voted Odyssey, but it was really hard to decide between that and AC 2. Ezio is the all-time best character in a video game.

AC 2 was an awesome game I really liked the puzzles that gave bits of Assassin history and formed a movie when all were found, but Kassandra was also a great character and I liked that game slightly more.

Aion002

2 was great, but Brotherhood is my favorite.

I can't remember a single thing that I disliked on Brotherhood.

I've played and beaten 1, 2, 4, Origin and Odyssey. I didn't like 1, but enjoyed 2, loved Black Flag, thought Origin was pretty good and got tired of the formula halfway through Odyssey.

I got probably halfway through Valhalla. It was kind of miserable. I think I'm done with the franchise.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

Played almost all since the beginning. My top 5 ac are:

1) AC2
2) AC Black Flag
3) AC Origins
4) AC Unity
5) AC Revelations

I still think they should do continuity ww2 in AC Syndicate or fully modern AC (not the WD Legion)

Tschumi

Origins

Ever since it became obvious that AC will be changing time periods I wanted them to do Egypt. And Origins was everything I wished for in terms of world design. I no other game I spent so much time looking at stuff.
Totally know where you're coming from, i wanted to just run around that buried, ruined temple you start in forever lol, it really liked like a cold, undisturbed Egyptian ruin buried beneath the sand.. incredible graphics in the column details etc.. i totally dug it..

Also, when it was first coming out i thought it looked incredible in trailers etc, could hardly believe real time games could look like that, and yeah it's legit beautiful

Not the first game to spring to mind for best looking game ever i feel, but still incredible

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Totally know where you're coming from, i wanted to just run around that buried, ruined temple you start in forever lol, it really liked like a cold, undisturbed Egyptian ruin buried beneath the sand.. incredible graphics in the column details etc.. i totally dug it..

Also, when it was first coming out i thought it looked incredible in trailers etc, could hardly believe real time games could look like that, and yeah it's legit beautiful

Not the first game to spring to mind for best looking game ever i feel, but still incredible
That sense of scale when you are on a hill in the south but still see the tower of Alexandria in the north was just amazing an left me in awe. No other game was able to come close to that for me.

GymWolf

All mediocre to acceptable games but 1 and origins are my favourite, 1 for the novelty effect, origins for the superb location and shaked up mechanics.

Last edited:

Insty

Probably would feel differently now but Odyssey really sucked me in to it's world. Between it and it's dlc I put in over 150 hours. I think things were hectic at work that month and it was nice to just turn off my head and get lost in knocking out a question mark or 5 before bed. Kassandra for the win.

GinSama

I like ac2. The jump from the first one to the second is really incredible…. But black flag is my favourite by a mile….
Maybe back then when I played the game I was into black sails and I freaking love pirates.
Apart the tailing missions… I loved the story, the naval gameplay, the locations everything was like I imagine when i was reading treasure island and wishing for a game like black sails.

hands down my last favourite ac game…. Although I kinda like odyssey again my love old mythology and Kassandra performance sold me the game. Unfortunately I can only choose one. So black flag it is.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valhalla technically an assassins creed game joined with historical references to the Viking era, which Ubisoft is in position to continue these historical games.
ADCB2082-0464-4803-80-FA-EE2-B152-A043-D.jpg

TrueLegend

OK Time to post a long one. So I kind of grew up with these games.

AC1: The concept was there, The story especially modern first civilization and apple thing was a good payoff at the ending. I didn't care much about Altair. It was 7/10 game at its time. And now it's just a boring chorathon that one should not play and just watch on youtube. It was a good game though. It's just that Ubisoft's open-world was really limited at this time. You couldn't even swim in the water.

AC2: Biggest improvement in any game ever. It featured three of the most beautiful cities in a beautiful time period. It started many long trends in franchises like recurring historical figures like Leonardo and base building. The story was awesome. The puzzles were awesome. The truth file was mind-blowing. And Ezio was Iconic. Gameplay-wise it doesn't stand the test of time though. My Favorite AC and the community's most beloved game. Ezio's Family theme is now the most iconic theme of the franchise, and of gaming history in general.

AC Brotherhood: Supremely refined AC with an OK story but awesome storytelling like Uncharted games. Absolutely loved being Badass in this game. The mission structure and flow were awesome. You could ride horses. And the multiplayer was lit. Was also one of the hard-earned platinum as it included online trophies. This could have been AC2: Blood and Wine though and this game started the yearly trend of incremental improvement rather than a build on top that AC2 was over AC1.

AC Revelations: The Atlair met Ezio moment is among the most iconic gaming moments to me. The engine started showing age. Apart from Ezio and the story, the gameplay started feeling redundant in this game. Master Assassin Yusuf was also very likable. You met Piri Reis. The setting looked great but there was a staleness on overall improvement. The revelation ending was awesome. It hyped ACIII heavily.

ACIII: The most disappointing AC. Connnor's voice was awesome, the story was cool but Haythem had more Charisma and stole every scene he was in. The gameplay was awful even though combat had some improvements. Looked horrible on consoles. The new engine was very unpolished. The main function of this engine was however fulfilled up to some degree in creating a wilderness. The ending was bad, real bad. They messed up. It was anticlimactic. Also, the setting was not that interesting to me personally.

ACIV: The engine got proper polish and it showed. The game looks beautiful. It is the last AC going back that stands the Test of Time to me in the gameplay department. Naval combat is awesome. It is the favorite AC of many people. The story was average. But Edward was awesome and the setting was awesome. If one does not likes Assassin's Creed games, they can still enjoy this game. Very Accessible game. A lot of fun. But this was the start of the downfall in the "Assassin" story and the main storyline. The start of modern trends like representation and stuff started. Freedom Cry DLC was made a full separate game later on this whole basis and AC: Liberation and other stuff. Legendary ships were legendary indeed, I mean El Impoluto was practically flying, the stuff of the legend I say.

AC Unity: Good Story. Best Gameplay for an Assassin Game but not as fun. Stunning Graphics. Intriguing Setting. You met Neapolitan. It had many technical issues. But overall a good game. Now people look at this through rosy glasses. The coop agenda was laregly unsuccesful. It represents the assassin's creed properly though. All sides of It. The Templars and the Assassins.

AC Syndicate: More boring story than this post. Absolute boring but the gameplay was fun. The setting was cool but the game had a really boring flow. Snoozefest storytelling after the very fast-paced first act. I actually liked Evie a lot. She was a good female protagonist without being tagged female protagonist, with proper attires and clothes and all along with a distinct personality.

AC Origins: Haven't Played fully. I actually guessed Bayak's motivation by simple deduction though. Huh, What has Ubisoft not killed yet in the AC games; a friend, a brother, a father, someone's wife, someone's sister, someone's uncle. Oh yeah, a child. Once they said the Protagonist is a fully grown middle age man I was like Bayak will lose a child isn't he.

AC Odyssey: Played roughly 400 hours in Pandemic times. Shill up summed it best. The story was really good and ended on a positive note depending upon your choice which was a fresh thing to see in an AC game. The endgame was awesome. Playing as Cassandra is a horrible choice. I played as Alexios and Cassandra both for 200 hours. There is a vocal minority who puts Cassandra at a pedestal because Ubisoft with their many fake proxy accounts tried to peddle female protagonist narrative for brownie points. Cassandra as Deimos was awesome. That went much better with the narrative. The game was although very very much stretched. I enjoyed it but don't want more of the new formula.

AC Valhalla: Haven't played in full. I dredd it. I don't care about AC anymore.

Last edited:

sainraja

I played and finished all up to Black Flag. After that it's been a wash....I haven't been able to keep up. Valhalla's combat just wasn't doing anything for me.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Tough one, honestly. I voted AC2 because it hit all the marks overall, but I enjoy different things about different titles. 3 was the most interesting setting to me, 4 was the most fun moment to moment, Odyssey had a really good world that I invested enough in to platinum the game, Origins wins with atmosphere, but 2 is the best and most concise overall package.

Tschumi

OK Time to post a long one. So I kind of grew up with these games.

AC1: The concept was there, The story especially modern first civilization and apple thing was a good payoff at the ending. I didn't care much about Altair. It was 7/10 game at its time. And now it's just a boring chorathon that one should not play and just watch on youtube. It was a good game though. It's just that Ubisoft's open-world was really limited at this time. You couldn't even swim in the water.

AC2: Biggest improvement in any game ever. It featured three of the most beautiful cities in a beautiful time period. It started many long trends in franchises like recurring historical figures like Leonardo and base building. The story was awesome. The puzzles were awesome. The truth file was mind-blowing. And Ezio was Iconic. Gameplay-wise it doesn't stand the test of time though. My Favorite AC and the community's most beloved game. Ezio's Family theme is now the most iconic theme of the franchise, and of gaming history in general.

AC Brotherhood: Supremely refined AC with an OK story but awesome storytelling like Uncharted games. Absolutely loved being Badass in this game. The mission structure and flow were awesome. You could ride horses. And the multiplayer was lit. Was also one of the hard-earned platinum as it included online trophies. This could have been AC2: Blood and Wine though and this game started the yearly trend of incremental improvement rather than a build on top that AC2 was over AC1.

AC Revelations: The Atlair met Ezio moment is among the most iconic gaming moments to me. The engine started showing age. Apart from Ezio and the story, the gameplay started feeling redundant in this game. Master Assassin Yusuf was also very likable. You met Piri Reis. The setting looked great but there was a staleness on overall improvement. The revelation ending was awesome. It hyped ACIII heavily.

ACIII: The most disappointing AC. Connnor's voice was awesome, the story was cool but Haythem had more Charisma and stole every scene he was in. The gameplay was awful even though combat had some improvements. Looked horrible on consoles. The new engine was very unpolished. The main function of this engine was however fulfilled up to some degree in creating a wilderness. The ending was bad, real bad. They messed up. It was anticlimactic. Also, the setting was not that interesting to me personally.

ACIV: The engine got proper polish and it showed. The game looks beautiful. It is the last AC going back that stands the Test of Time to me in the gameplay department. Naval combat is awesome. It is the favorite AC of many people. The story was average. But Edward was awesome and the setting was awesome. If one does not likes Assassin's Creed games, they can still enjoy this game. Very Accessible game. A lot of fun. But this was the start of the downfall in the "Assassin" story and the main storyline. The start of modern trends like representation and stuff started. Freedom Cry DLC was made a full separate game later on this whole basis and AC: Liberation and other stuff. Legendary ships were legendary indeed, I mean El Impoluto was practically flying, the stuff of the legend I say.

AC Unity: Good Story. Best Gameplay for an Assassin Game but not as fun. Stunning Graphics. Intriguing Setting. You met Neapolitan. It had many technical issues. But overall a good game. Now people look at this through rosy glasses. The coop agenda was laregly unsuccesful. It represents the assassin's creed properly though. All sides of It. The Templars and the Assassins.

AC Syndicate: More boring story than this post. Absolute boring but the gameplay was fun. The setting was cool but the game had a really boring flow. Snoozefest storytelling after the very fast-paced first act. I actually liked Evie a lot. She was a good female protagonist without being tagged female protagonist, with proper attires and clothes and all along with a distinct personality.

AC Origins: Haven't Played fully. I actually guessed Bayak's motivation by simple deduction though. Huh, What has Ubisoft not killed yet in the AC games; a friend, a brother, a father, someone's wife, someone's sister, someone's uncle. Oh yeah, a child. Once they said the Protagonist is a fully grown middle age man I was like Bayak will lose a child isn't he.

AC Odyssey: Played roughly 400 hours in Pandemic times. Shill up summed it best. The story was really good and ended on a positive note depending upon your choice which was a fresh thing to see in an AC game. The endgame was awesome. Playing as Cassandra is a horrible choice. I played as Alexios and Cassandra both for 200 hours. There is a vocal minority who puts Cassandra at a pedestal because Ubisoft with their many fake proxy accounts tried to peddle female protagonist narrative for brownie points. Cassandra as Deimos was awesome. That went much better with the narrative. The game was although very very much stretched. I enjoyed it but don't want more of the new formula.

AC Valhalla: Haven't played in full. I dredd it. I don't care about AC anymore.
Thanks for the awesome write-up man, it's pretty exhaustive... I loved the personality of AC1, the map design including the badlands and stuff, but yeah AC2 wins it for me because I just in general thought the gameplay flowed like wine in that one

i legit struggle to get in to black flag. I'm not trying to be contrarian to the bunches of people who love it but I think the further I got into it was running around havana discovering all the vision towers, I think it might have been the controls. In any case, thanks for this huge summary :lollipop_fire:

Last edited:

EDMIX

Black Flag would've achieved GOAT status if it wasn't for the AC crap dragging it down.

lol I'M SAYING! At this point, anytime they start doing any of that animus shit I'm like "ok how do I skip this fucking shit"

The concept ALONE of a person in a different time period killing people, having their own story, narrative etc is interesting on its own merit. I personally want that entire thing gone from AC. Its boring, it feels tacked on, forced, out of place etc. I really love Black Flag, Origin, Odyssey, AC2 etc They are great games, I'd argue they are even better minus the animus shit lol

Parents are looking to avenge the death of their child and you see some Egyptian beast along the way, that is fucking good enough, animus crap didn't make any of that better, it just kept wasting time and taking away from an already great story.

For me.

Odyessey
Origins
Unity
Black Flag
AC2

My only regret is I didn't play the RPG light stuff sooner, they are much better then I ever expected and I like the change of pace, setting, themes etc.

Arachnid

GOAT Black Flag. The characters, the story, the soundtrack, the gameplay, (etc...).

Legit perfection. AC will never strike gold like that again.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I think so far my favorite has been Odyssey. I passed on Origins but I hear it's really good so I'll pick it up when it's stupid cheap during the holiday sale. That and Valhalla. I'm curious to see if the gold edition will be under $40 bu the end of the year.

Of the originals I liked 2 and 3 best. I also kinda liked Syndicate.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

She was a good female protagonist without being tagged female protagonist
It's clear she was supposed to be the main character seeing how she's the actual assassin and solo continues the story in the DLC, but UBI was afraid of low sales or whatever; she wasn't in any of the promo materials, none of the preview materials (I was at a preview event and she was just completely missing), and she was even cut out of the games with gold banner and replaced with some random dude in 2018.
Heck even on the final cover she's just kinda in the back not giving main character vibes at all; really dislike how ubisoft handled her.

Hoppa

I dont pay attention to the story when I play these games so for gameplay I'd say Origins. The changes to the 'typical AC' gameplay and being set in Egypt added something new. The dev team are amazing when it comes to environmental art. Oddysee and Valhalla are also good but I just felt like they took Origins and gave it a new coat of paint and more reasons to buy XP boosters

Tschumi

Valhalla technically an assassins creed game joined with historical references to the Viking era, which Ubisoft is in position to continue these historical games.
ADCB2082-0464-4803-80-FA-EE2-B152-A043-D.jpg
welcome back :messenger_grinning_sweat:

yeah valhalla seems to be a response to some popular contemporary tv show settings

Loved the AC1, Black Flag, Origins and Odyssey, although I don't think I'd go back to AC1

Liked - Syndicate

Disliked - Rogue (boring locations and game world)

Hated - Liberation (seriously, how can anyone have fun wandering around in a dress looking for things that aren't on the map).

Pile of shame - Ezio games, Unity, Valhalla

Gameboy415

I played every game in the series (including the mediocre PSP & DS games) as they were released up through AC: Unity (ugh).
AC1 through AC3 were all pretty good - I feel like Ezio's story had a good ending and I enjoyed Connor's story but I really didn't like what they did with Desmond/the modern day stuff between Revelations & AC3.

Black Flag is definitely my favorite in the series - I played it at launch on PS4 and absolutely LOVED it. The game looked incredible at the time and I really enjoyed the pirate stuff, sailing, and freedom of exploration.
I really enjoyed Rogue as well but was annoyed that it was stuck on previous-gen consoles (*at the time - I've picked up the remaster for PS4 but haven't played it yet).

Then came Unity, which I completed but did not like it at all. While the game was visually impressive, I didn't really care about the historical setting, I had no interest in the multiplayer stuff, and the absolute worst aspect for me were the 'health potions'. Despite the fact that the previous SEVEN games in the series had auto-healing when you escaped battle/danger, you now have to worry about buying/stocking some bullshit potions at all times to heal your character? No thanks. I get that it's more 'realistic' but it ruined the game for me.

I hated Unity so much that I put off playing Syndicate until just last year (2020) and it felt like a great return to form - I really enjoyed it!

I've heard the newer games in the series feature more Action-RPG style game-play but I really like the themes/settings of AC: Origins & Odyssey and I'm excited to finally check them out!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Assassin's Creed franchise has spanned the globe since it debuted in 2007, and entries have taken players from Renaissance Italy to Ancient Greece to the American Revolution. Along the way, the series has changed dramatically, from sequels that made good on the promise of past entries to entirely new takes on character progression.

sephiroth7x

My favourite was Origins.

I LOVED the setting of the original Assassins Creed but the game fell flat with its repetition. Assassins Creed II was fantastic and it was almost my vote as it truly hit the potential it had.

The reason I picked Origins however, was because it was the rebirth of a series gone stale and I felt they did it magnificently. (It kind of helps that I have my degree in Egyptology).

emivita

AC 2 is the best AC. Period. Best soundtrack, best story, best characters, best environments, and no RPG/filling shit.

Unity is the worst.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
For me it's a tie between 1 and 2, but I'll give my vote to 1 because I really love its setting.

I also liked Liberation, but I wish it was a console game with a fitting production value. I personally believe that Aveline had the potential to be one of the most memorable protagonists in the series. I find her more interesting than the characters that came after Altair and Ezio, but she was not given a fair chance.

Last edited:

drganon

As much as I liked 2 back in the day, gotta go with orgins. Its a damn shame they preceded to run the new formula they found into the ground with odyssey and the shit fest known as Valhalla.

Black Flag is my favourite, probably spent more time out at sea than on land with that game - been great returning to it on the Switch. Enjoyed Syndicate more than I expected too, but haven't played any of the newer ones and previous games to IV are just kinda meh to me.

Didn't enjoy it too much myself, but Liberation was good in the way it offered the full Assassin's Creed experience on the go for the Vita back in the day.

Top Bottom