• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your most listened artists (2021 edition)

tommib

So, the end of the year is approaching. What were your favourite records from 2021 and which were played on repeat through the year? Posting my Apple Replay results:

nw95Yhc.png
BOPA8Z5.png
2imP3dw.png
Jni3RQk.png

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Since i'm obsessed with the compositions of Billain, his "Codename EP" surely got the most playtime for me this year although it was released in 2020. It offers just something nobody else can give me when it comes to Neurofunk and his sounds overall give me a feel of satisfaction quite nothing like it.

Also high up is Doom's "Dark Desires EP". Since his first album i crave for every major release of him and this one lived up to my expectations.

Neo-Geo's "Funky Routine" also made me pretty happy.

Than we have the "Teletranceport" album from Diksha. I think if you are into this kind of music this will speak for itself.

There is a lot more but these are the ones that came to my mind first. If somebody is wondering, i have a broad interest in music and also listen to "normal" music if you'de like to call it but since the thread asks for most playtime it obviously goes to my love for exquisit electronic endevours.

tommib tommib i'm not surprised to see the Returnal soundtrack so high up in your list. :messenger_grinning: As for the rest of your choices i will give them a go and try to hear what makes them special to you.

Last edited:

tommib

Since i'm obsessed with the compositions of Billain, his "Codename EP" surely got the most playtime for me this year although it was released in 2020. It offers just something nobody else can give me when it comes to Neurofunk and his sounds overall give me a feel of satisfaction quite nothing like it.

Also high up is Doom's "Dark Desires EP". Since his first album i crave for every major release of him and this one lived up to my expectations.

Than we have the "Teletranceport" album from Diksha. I think if you are into this kinda music this will speak for itself.

There is a lot more but these are the ones that came to my mind first. If somebody is wondering, i have a broad interest in music and also listen to "normal" music if you'de like to call it but since the thread asks for most playtime it obviously goes to my love for exquisit electronic endevours.

tommib tommib i'm not surprised to see the Returnal soundtrack so high up in your list. :messenger_grinning: As for the rest of your choices i will give them a go and try to hear what makes them special to you.

Yes, half of my enjoyment from Returnal came from the soundtrack which ticks all my bells. It’s one of the year’s best records independent of it being a soundtrack. It’s been going completely under the radar for everyone but honestly I don’t remember a recent game having such a lush soundtrack. Will check your links. :)

Dark Star

best rap/hiphop album of 2021

I fell back into my edgy metal/rock/posthardcore/emo obsessions this year and haven't paid much attention to anything else. Some decent stuff came out, and I'm waiting for a few album releases from bands like Static Dress.

on spotify my most listened to artists currently are:

if i die first
hail the sun
seeyouspacecowboy
narrowhead

but overall my spotify data analytics say that i'm stuck in the past lol:

afi
underoath
eyes set to kill
alesana
hawthorne heights
slipknot
deftones
korn
asking alexandria
bring me the horizon
alice in chains
coheed and cambria

Last edited:
The same as every year: Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Bowie, Floyd, Metallica, and...

... A Gardiner-conducted version of Beethoven's 9th. Beethoven's Symphony No. 9 is my absolute piece of favorite music ever. It's flawless. It's timeless. And I've listened to it countless times. So every year it's my most listened piece of music.

Oh, somewhere close below all the classic rock acts I mentioned above is Charles Mingus's The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady. Amazing jazz album, probably my favorite jazz album ever.

12Goblins 12Goblins all of that chick's songs sound the same, or at least to me are all about the same subject matter. ("You dumped me and now moved on with a new girl, yet I'm still butthurt about it")

I don't like modern pop music but keep up with it to see what the modern pop zeitgeist is (and to see if anything good ever comes out of modern top 40 pop music). So I'm acquainted with her material.

saiws

Banned
don't have any streaming service so here are some albums from this year that i liked:

portrayal of guilt: we are always alone
alfa mist: bringbacks
silk sonic: an evening with silk sonic
bicep: isles
tyler, the creator: call me if you get lost
taylor swift: red(taylor's version)
suffering hour: the cyclic reckoning
lantlos: wildhund
jodi: blue heron
jpegmafia: lp!
dream unending: tide turns eternal

Joyful

looking at my statistics i definitely need new stuff to listen to.
also my music listening has gone down 36% this year :messenger_pensive:
this doesn't track my youtube/games /anime music though

but heres my top 25 artists
Tj4e8Wj.png

Winter John

Gold Member
I listened to The Specials a lot this year. They seemed to fit the mood of the times. Them and Massive Attack were probably played the most.

Old Retro

Mostly Soundcloud mixes

#1 again for like the 7th straight year - Gai Barone Patterns
artworks-15LwNhzXJJy8cX6E-1ay8vw-t500x500.jpg

John 00 Fleming Joof Radio
artworks-rqJwUxu0JOhXiIeO-pmJBLw-t500x500.jpg

The Grand Sound grrrr I love them so much :pie_smiling_hearts:
artworks-000562113963-ehm0p1-t500x500.jpg

Olga Misty
artworks-pc2YbW1XxLzE6BBF-NM6YxA-t500x500.jpg

Miss Monique
artworks-000266228615-g0bd0a-t500x500.jpg

others:
Andy Green - System Proton Radio
Christopher Lawrence - Pharmacy Radio

Jennings

Not in any order:
  • Gojira: Fortitude
  • Fear Factory: Aggression Continuum
  • Evanescence: The Bitter Truth
  • Mastodon: Hushed and Grim
  • Between the Buried and Me: Colors 2
  • Archspire: Bleed the Future
  • Cannibal Corpse: Violence Unimagined
  • Jerry Cantrell: Brighten
These albums have made 2021 so much more tolerable. They've all kept me company through thousands of miles in Forza Horizon 4 and thousands of matches of Hearthstone.

Last edited:

TylerD

I went on a trip to pick up my "new" car in April and discovered The Stage by Avenged Sevenfold while waiting for a connecting flight. I thought it was just excellent (especially Brooks Wackerman's drumming) and I've had a huge renaissance in their music and I've been listening to them more than any other band since. From Waking the Fallen to The Stage, not Sounding the Seventh Trumpet really, they just nail what I've been craving in music. My brother and I saw them in Tulsa at Cain's Ballroom in December 2007 and they were just incredible.

So my most listened:

Avenged Sevenfold (every record minus Sounding the Seventh Trumpet). Nightmare has been tops this month.
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories more than anything else
Drake - various
LoFi Hip Hop playlist
Red Hot Chile Peppers
Wage War - Manic
Metallica
Bullet for my Valentine
Bring Me the Horizon

Last edited:

TylerD

Good 4 you

(It's the only song from her that I really like, but my ex-girlfriend was a big fan, so I listen Olivia Rodrigo's songs a lot this year)

Driver's License is my favorite of hers. The swell and crescendo during the verses is exactly the kind of thing that can trigger almost overwhelming feelings. The same way a sweeping and orchestral movie score with epic imagery can.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Probably my favorite album of 2021. Track 3, 4 and 5 are my favorites. I'm not at my PC so I can't check the rest. There were at least a few other new albums I actually got into, so I'll post those tonight.

VN1X

Banned
I listened to about 110+ albums this year... Here's some visualized data courtesy of Last.fm & Chuu bot. Scrobbles based on data until from Jan 1st until Nov 23rd, 2021 (might edit this post at the actual end of the year).

Top artist plays:
tLhigZV.jpg

Top album plays:
TjKDGyA.jpg

And a crosspost from the Metal thread:
Hoooo boy, for all the bad that's been 2021 it sure made up for in terms of the sheer volume of amazing album releases! I didn't even know where to begin to put this AOTY list together but this is my attempt (which I'm sure I won't change in the next few weeks either lol). I could've easily made a top 30 as it just feels wrong leaving out so many quality albums. However, as my pappy used to say "sometimes you've just gotta' make the tough calls in life" and this was such a moment... I mean even my top 5 basically all consist of #1 contenders. It's madness I tell ya', madness!

Top 10

1. Silent Planet - Iridescent
  2. Queen Kona - Lucid
  3. Darko US - Darko
  4. Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
  5. Architects - For Those That Wish to Exist
  6. Holding Absence - The Greatest Mistake of My Life
  7. LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves
  8. Vildhjarta - måsstaden under vatten
  9. Humanity's Last Breath - Välde
  10. Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
Runner-ups
Volumes
- Happier
VCTMS - Vol. IV Numb the Ache
Born of Osiris - Angel or Alien
While She Sleeps - SLEEPS SOCIETY
Brand of Sacrifice - Lifeblood

Honourable Mentions Because Why Not 2021 Edition (Super Not Cheating I Swear Hyper Fighting Deluxe)
Mirrors
- The Ego's Weight
Archspire - Bleed the Future
Sentinels - Collapse by Design

Best EP

1. Convictions - I Won't Survive
  2. Rogue - Phantom
  3. Orbit Culture - Shaman
  4. DeadVectors - Elemental (They put out FIVE EP's in 2021. Stop releasing so many fuckin' EP's DeadVectors!)
  5. Bloodlines - Hevel

Best Single Releases

1. Cane Hill - Blood & Honey
  2. Advents - Relentless
  3. Darko US - Dragon Chaser (Usually I don't like to include artists I've already given the spotlight elsewhere but this track isn't featured on the album they released this year so... there!)
  4. Don Broco - One True Prince (Orchestral Version Live From Abbey Road)
  5. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Bitter

Best Surprise
Queen Kona
- Lucid
These guys came outta' nowhere for me and they basically sound like if Periphery and I Am Abomination would have made 4 babies together that could all sing and play instruments heavily and proggily (yes I made that word up). I love this album as it has pretty much everything I would want from the Prog genre: catchy djenty grooves combined with technical riffage that doesn't go overboard, all the while supported by soaring cleans and aggressive lows courtesy of the four vocalists. It's just great and I can't wait to hear what comes next from them.

Biggest Disappointment
Sleep Token
- This Place Will Become Your Tomb
While I had them as my "Best Surprise" last year with their Deluxe Edition of Sundowning their follow-up release, while not bad by any means, just failed to get its hooks in me and win me over. It felt formulaic and not as genre-breaking I was hoping it would be. That said, if Sleep Token is my "biggest disappointment" you know it's been a fantastic year for (Metal) music!

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I listened to about 110+ albums this year... Here's some visualized data courtesy of Last.fm & Chuu bot. Scrobbles based on data until from Jan 1st until Nov 23rd, 2021 (might edit this post at the actual end of the year).

Top artist plays:
tLhigZV.jpg

Top album plays:
TjKDGyA.jpg

And a crosspost from the Metal thread:
Hoooo boy, for all the bad that's been 2021 it sure made up for in terms of the sheer volume of amazing album releases! I didn't even know where to begin to put this AOTY list together but this is my attempt (which I'm sure I won't change in the next few weeks either lol). I could've easily made a top 30 as it just feels wrong leaving out so many quality albums. However, as my pappy used to say "sometimes you've just gotta' make the tough calls in life" and this was such a moment... I mean even my top 5 basically all consist of #1 contenders. It's madness I tell ya', madness!

Top 10

1. Silent Planet - Iridescent
  2. Queen Kona - Lucid
  3. Darko US - Darko
  4. Spiritbox - Eternal Blue
  5. Architects - For Those That Wish to Exist
  6. Holding Absence - The Greatest Mistake of My Life
  7. LANDMVRKS - Lost in the Waves
  8. Vildhjarta - måsstaden under vatten
  9. Humanity's Last Breath - Välde
  10. Mastodon - Hushed and Grim
Runner-ups
Volumes
- Happier
VCTMS - Vol. IV Numb the Ache
Born of Osiris - Angel or Alien
While She Sleeps - SLEEPS SOCIETY
Brand of Sacrifice - Lifeblood

Honourable Mentions Because Why Not 2021 Edition (Super Not Cheating I Swear Hyper Fighting Deluxe)
Mirrors
- The Ego's Weight
Archspire - Bleed the Future
Sentinels - Collapse by Design

Best EP

1. Convictions - I Won't Survive
  2. Rogue - Phantom
  3. Orbit Culture - Shaman
  4. DeadVectors - Elemental (They put out FIVE EP's in 2021. Stop releasing so many fuckin' EP's DeadVectors!)
  5. Bloodlines - Hevel

Best Single Releases

1. Cane Hill - Blood & Honey
  2. Advents - Relentless
  3. Darko US - Dragon Chaser (Usually I don't like to include artists I've already given the spotlight elsewhere but this track isn't featured on the album they released this year so... there!)
  4. Don Broco - One True Prince (Orchestral Version Live From Abbey Road)
  5. Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! - Bitter

Best Surprise
Queen Kona
- Lucid
These guys came outta' nowhere for me and they basically sound like if Periphery and I Am Abomination would have made 4 babies together that could all sing and play instruments heavily and proggily (yes I made that word up). I love this album as it has pretty much everything I would want from the Prog genre: catchy djenty grooves combined with technical riffage that doesn't go overboard, all the while supported by soaring cleans and aggressive lows courtesy of the four vocalists. It's just great and I can't wait to hear what comes next from them.

Biggest Disappointment
Sleep Token
- This Place Will Become Your Tomb
While I had them as my "Best Surprise" last year with their Deluxe Edition of Sundowning their follow-up release, while not bad by any means, just failed to get its hooks in me and win me over. It felt formulaic and not as genre-breaking I was hoping it would be. That said, if Sleep Token is my "biggest disappointment" you know it's been a fantastic year for (Metal) music!
Nice work on this. Please remember to cross-post this once I put up the AOTY thread in early Dec.

Paasei

Don't have the list (yet), but it's easy to guess which ones I listened to the most. Just not in order:
Crystal Lake
Spiritbox
Megadeth
Anthrax
Slaughter to Prevail

This year was good for metal(core) fans overall.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Than we have the "Teletranceport" album from Diksha. I think if you are into this kind of music this will speak for itself.

Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT I've been lurking for a long time and just got my account approved. Wanted to reach out specifically to tell you I discovered Billain because of this post or another one of yours like a year ago. He's seriously a cut above. Wild sounds and amazing talent for sound design. Thanks for spreading the good word haha

Con-Z-epT

Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT I've been lurking for a long time and just got my account approved. Wanted to reach out specifically to tell you I discovered Billain because of this post or another one of yours like a year ago. He's seriously a cut above. Wild sounds and amazing talent for sound design. Thanks for spreading the good word haha
Your post means a lot to me!

Good to read that i'm not the only one who appreciates cutting edge sound design.

His second album released last friday. If you haven't, you should check it out. Absolute insanity! :messenger_fire::messenger_alien::messenger_fire:

Last edited:

tommib

Good to read that i'm not the only one who appreciates cutting edge sound design.

His second album released last friday. If you haven't, you should check it out. Absolute insanity! :messenger_fire::messenger_alien::messenger_fire:

I listened to this and it’s pretty good except for that first track. Can’t stand those kind of vocals. Rest of the album is a banger.

If you’re into sound design you really need to give Autechre a chance. I always saw them leading everyone else since the early 2000s:

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I listened to this and it’s pretty good except for that first track. Can’t stand those kind of vocals. Rest of the album is a banger.

If you’re into sound design you really need to give Autechre a chance. I always saw them leading everyone else since the early 2000s:

Not bad by any means but it's missing that certain edge. Also a bit to glitchy for my taste.

Check Audeka. Quite varied.

Con-Z-epT

That’s Ghost, Prequelle. I love them but not sure if it’s your thing. It’s a mix of ABBA, Satanic hard-rock and prog metal.
Thanks. Pretty sure it's not for me but the cover is cool enough to warrant a quick peek. I can't judge what i haven't heard. And also that's what we are here for. To get impressions from others.

Edit: Not that bad actually. Really goes into your ear. :messenger_horns:

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

I'm a big fan of glitchy goodness, like Squarepusher's more out-there stuff and Venetian Snares, so I've run into Autechre a few times. They're all "brutal" but I can't seem to connect with Autechre. They seem more inhuman and sterile. If I'm getting my ass kicked, I'd rather it be by a dude with a baseball bat than an automated pile-driver lol

I could be missing the "humanity" in their tracks. I'd be interested to hear how I'm wrong!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Just listened to it, and it's great! He seems to know you can't beat people over the head for an entire album, so there are some slower tracks. But somehow his slower tracks still sound MASSIVE!

Crazy to think there is a guy out there this talented and that he's not more widely-known.

tommib

I'm a big fan of glitchy goodness, like Squarepusher's more out-there stuff and Venetian Snares, so I've run into Autechre a few times. They're all "brutal" but I can't seem to connect with Autechre. They seem more inhuman and sterile. If I'm getting my ass kicked, I'd rather it be by a dude with a baseball bat than an automated pile-driver lol

I could be missing the "humanity" in their tracks. I'd be interested to hear how I'm wrong!
That’s the thing. Autechre don’t sound human at all and that’s their appeal. It’s 100% alien music but sometimes, very rarely, they show their skin:

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
That’s the thing. Autechre don’t sound human at all and that’s their appeal. It’s 100% alien music but sometimes, very rarely, they show their skin:

Thanks for those tracks--I DO hear the people behind the algorithms there.

Also, interesting point you made. I never really stopped to consider that the alien-ness is what people like about them. I was listening for something that wasn't there. I'll keep that in mind when I pull them up in the future.

Con-Z-epT

Just listened to it, and it's great! He seems to know you can't beat people over the head for an entire album, so there are some slower tracks. But somehow his slower tracks still sound MASSIVE!
Same with "Nomads Revenge" but this time there are more Drum & Bass tracks which is nice since the first album was a bit lacking in that regard. An album is also a good way to be a bit more experimental so i'm overall happy that he tries to tell these vast stories with different approaches although i wouldn't mind a full on Neurofunk album.

"Gigant" is so good. So dystopian and dark. I love it. Have you seen the video for "iNFINITE BLUE"? I hope so! :messenger_sunglasses:

My personal favorites are "Y3K" and "Mekanize You". There really is something for everyone here.

I still miss something like a spiritual successor to "Kingston Drone" or "Autonomos" on the album. These have been high points for me regarding his compositions. He's still unmatched in my eyes in the genre.

Crazy to think there is a guy out there this talented and that he's not more widely-known.
I mean it's still an incredible niche production despite having some softer tracks. I hope he will never go mainstream and produce as uncompromised as he ever did.

Last edited:
Top Bottom