• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your preferred controller layout?

Preferred layout of your gaming controller ?

• Asymmetric (Xbox style)

Votes: 91 43.1%
  • Symmetric Top Analog (Wii U style)

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • Symmetric Bottom Analog (PlayStation style)

Votes: 79 37.4%
  • Standard D-pad and face buttons (NES style)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Standard D-pad, face buttons, and shoulder buttons (SNES style)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Joystick with a couple of buttons (Atari style)

• Arcade Stick (Arcade stick style)

• French fries topped with grilled onions, melted cheese, and Thousand Island dressing (Animal style)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • No preference at all / Highly adaptable (Non-binary style)

Votes: 15 7.1%
  • Keyboard and Mouse (Master race style)

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Other (please specify style)

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

jigglet

Banned
THIS LAYOUT WAS GENIUS
R.f2e8926523643687a841d0a0f5b6317d

but people really don't like change and so this extremely ergonomic design was cast away by Nintendo to please the casual fucks that hate innovation and that call themselves gamers! PFFFT!
YOU HAVE FORSAKEN THE BEST CONTROLLER LAYOUT EVER! MAY THE GLORIOUS WII U PRO CONTROLLER HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS!

but for real, the right stick on top felt absolutely amazing in Call of Duty. that stick position was perfect for dual stick FPS controls

THIS!!!!!!!!! Wii U Pro > all.

My favourite part about it was the digital triggers. Only a very small fraction of games use analogue - racing games primarily; why are controllers designed for them? FPS and third person games are by far the dominant genre, which all benefit from having a hair trigger. Even trigger stops in Scuf and Elite controllers still have mushy travel. I've never seen a trigger stop implementation that makes it feel digital.

Also the shape, the weight, the convex sticks, battery life, and the glorious dpad and face buttons.

I fucking love this thing. I have one in mint condition and another still in its box, never used, as a backup.

Last edited:
THIS!!!!!!!!! Wii U Pro > all.

My favourite part about it was the digital triggers. Only a very small fraction of games use analogue - racing games primarily; why are controllers designed for them? FPS and third person games are by far the dominant genre, which all benefit from having a hair trigger. Even trigger stops in Scuf and Elite controllers still have mushy travel. I've never seen a trigger stop implementation that makes it feel digital.

Also the shape, the weight, the convex sticks, battery life, and the glorious dpad and face buttons.

I fucking love this thing. I have one in mint condition and another still in its box, never used, as a backup.
Damn, not gonna lie, but that sounds so fucking enticing. Might have to pick one up now.

RCU005

I don't really care about the layout as long as the controller is comfortable. It takes seconds to get used to a new layout so it's not a big issue. I have been playing on PS consoles mostly since launch of PS3 and I can grab a Switch Pro controller or an Xbox controller and have no problem. (excepto for the damn X, that takes a little longer)

Bakkus

Personally the newest Xbox controller is pretty much perfect. You can really feel they have fine tuned it over the years from the 360 controller to get to where they are with it now, it just feels so good to hold and I find it has a perfect balance for all types of games. The Dualsense is a close second only for the haptics tbh, if Microsoft ever implemented something similar in the future that would be perfection imo.
How is it better than the Xbone controller? Because I think that one is close to perfection.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t really care where the sticks are, but the button layout can drive me crazy at times. I guess I’ll get used to it at some point. But A being B, X being Y etc. on the Xbox vs. Nintendo controllers is kinda annoying. Would be nice if there was a standard.

KillaJamm

How is it better than the Xbone controller? Because I think that one is close to perfection.
It's just an evolution of it, its practically the same with a few quality of life improvements. Now has a share button in the centre, fits like a glove in your hands plus with better grip, the d-pad is redesigned and it feels lighter as well.

Xyphie

What's important to me is that my thumb naturally falls on the left stick due to controller shape, thus far this has only the case with controllers that have a Wii U Pro controller or asymmetric layout.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
WiiU controller has the best layout. Strangely, Sony and MS are unable to copy it while it's their games that use both analogs the most.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I only play racing games on a controller so the stick layout doesn't matter that much. What matters to me are back paddles (for shifting gears) so Xbox Elite controller wins in this department.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I chose Xbox layout and honestly, I was thinking as to why, I like this layout and I don't have the answer. It works for me and only controller, which haven't brought me the numb sensation in hand (after some time of playing) was Xbox controller.

K2D

Banned
French fries topped with grilled onions, melted cheese, and Thousand Island dressing (Animal style)
Xbox and PS where X and A buttons are downward and stand for confirm, and B and O are right facing and stand for cancel.

0w30DBy.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Luna is GOAT.

I kid. Elite Series 1 is my favorite. If only they could keep them from breaking.

The Xbox controller is my favourite. It always felt very comfortable in my hands and I liked where everything was placed on it.

microsoft-xbox-360-wireless.jpg

I haven't had an Xbox since 360, but the controller was very nice and lasted me a long time. Brings back really good memories of Halo.

Ever since the GameCube I’ve preferred asymmetric, or at least having the Leftstick above the Dpad. Pretty much every game uses the control stick more than the dpad so it feels more natural to me.

The WiiU pro controller is nice too, but I think having the right stick above the face buttons on the WiiU Gamepad is a lot more comfortable for a “handheld” setup and it’s a shame the Switch doesn’t use it too. The right joycon would be more comfortable to use with the right stick above the buttons.

A lower right stick only works on a real controller with a “handle”, on a handheld it gets to cramped reaching down for it.

Kataploom

Gold Member
THIS LAYOUT WAS GENIUS

but people really don't like change and so this extremely ergonomic design was cast away by Nintendo to please the casual fucks that hate innovation and that call themselves gamers! PFFFT!
YOU HAVE FORSAKEN THE BEST CONTROLLER LAYOUT EVER! MAY THE GLORIOUS WII U PRO CONTROLLER HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOULS!

but for real, the right stick on top felt absolutely amazing in Call of Duty. that stick position was perfect for dual stick FPS controls
I think it most has to do with Joycons having to be used individually, asymmetric design lets them hide the shoulders of the horizontal joycon inside Switch rails.

I'll always prefer asymmetric design btw, if I see a very good PC controller it better has that layout or I'll just find something else, it just falls so naturally on my hands

I love many different controller types. Part of the appeal of getting new systems is to get acquainted with new controllers and their features

jigglet

Banned
There's no way anyone could get acquainted with this abomination:

41LOtUcyJeL._AC_.jpg

I'm not sure how old you are but if you're a bit younger a trip down memory lane is needed to set the context.

This modern day paradigm of using the stick and having the dpad available for other options wasn't a thing back then. Remember, analogue sticks just came onto the scene for consoles, most devs were still getting comfortable with using the stick, let alone having people juggle between both. In fact I don't even remember a game that required both until late in the console's lifecycle (Rainbow Six).

People now look at that controller and ask in hindsight - how did you reach the dpad while using the stick? The answer is you almost never had to.

I'm not saying the controller is a great design, but the problems people have with it without understanding the context are not real problems.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I'm not sure how old you are but if you're a bit younger a trip down memory lane is needed to set the context.

This modern day paradigm of using the stick and having the dpad available for other options wasn't a thing back then. Remember, analogue sticks just came onto the scene for consoles, most devs were still getting comfortable with using the stick, let alone having people juggle between both. In fact I don't even remember a game that required both until late in the console's lifecycle (Rainbow Six).

People now look at that controller and ask in hindsight - how did you reach the dpad while using the stick? The answer is you almost never had to.

I'm not saying the controller is a great design, but the problems people have with it without understanding the context are not real problems.
Ok, you're still not telling me the correct way to hold it.

Banned
With your left hand on the left prong if playing a game that uses the dpad, or your left hand on the middle prong if using the analogue stick.

or if you want good FPS controls, Left hand on Dpad, Right hand on the stick. most N64 shooters actually support that

jigglet

Banned
or if you want good FPS controls, Left hand on Dpad, Right hand on the stick. most N64 shooters actually support that

Well yes, but I didn't want to over complicate things.

The truth is all the N64 pad haters over complicate this. As I said, using both the stick and the dpad for options like we do today was almost unheard of back then, it's a probelm that didn't exist but people looking at this controller with a 2021 frame of view are trying to make it a problem.

Last edited:

Banned
Well yes, but I didn't want to over complicate things.

The truth is all the N64 pad haters over complicate this. As I said, using both the stick and the dpad was almost unheard of back then, it's a probelm that didn't exist but people looking at this controller with a 2021 frame of view are trying to make it a problem.

and for those people, these 👇 existed... they all sucked... but they existed lol

BEHOLD! THE SUPER PAD!
R.2349bf4c673268572a61111fc9aab492

Last edited:

Three

Dualsense is the most comfortable layout I've used but its reliability is crap. Those sticks don't just drift they have a mind of their own sometimes.

Dream-Knife

Banned
THIS LAYOUT WAS GENIUS

It was real awkward going from the stick to a face button. If the controller had 4 paddles on it, then yes, the wii U would be the correct layout.

Banned
It was real awkward going from the stick to a face button. If the controller had 4 paddles on it, then yes, the wii U would be the correct layout.

it was awkward because you weren't used to it. I played a lot of CoD Ghost on that thing and you get used to it after a while.

what was especially great about it, I could press X to reload without letting go of my right stick, sinply by moving my thumb down a little

Last edited:
Top Bottom