• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your thoughts on Blizzard's efforts in the 2010s?

What do you give them out of... seven, over the past 12ish years?

Votes: 16 24.6%

Votes: 7 10.8%

Votes: 20 30.8%

Votes: 8 12.3%

Votes: 7 10.8%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters

Tschumi

7 = amazing, 1= crap, numbers in between = various degrees of good or crap

Blizzard is about to enter a new era. Presumably they will have new production values and targets, perhaps they might try to return to their heyday, perhaps some of the old staff will come back? Or similar figures take their place...

On the cusp of this new era, let's rate the era just passed. There's no drama in saying that Blizzard's stock has fallen slightly from its unimpeachable status in the 00s. But how far?

Let's tie a bow on this past decade and a bit. Feel free to leave comments on how you arrived at your "rating".

Note on poll: i stopped at 7 because 10 seems too much, 5 too little, and 7 has a "neutral" middle number in 4.

-----

My personal take on blizzard is that they had about a 3 decade, just below par. I think Diablo 3 was a pretty huge tonal misstep, Starcraft 2 was, eventually, pretty great but it also never sucked me in, and none of their subsequent games have caught my imagination. I haven't played WoW since the x-realm lfg patch of wotlk so i don't figure it into my rating. Diablo 2: Resurrected was a super safe reskin/remodel which i enjoyed a lot, Warcraft 3: Reforged was a meme.

So, compared to the 7/7 00s in which they were my fucking heroes i think this decade was one in which they just faded from gaming, as i know it.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A 4 because of Starcraft II and for allowing the remaking of Diablo II. Diablo III was oretty fun but overall it felt like a steo down from II.

This company makes me sad man. I grew watching my bro play games like Warcraft II and BlackThorne, my first own PC game was Starcraft, got gifted Diablo soon after and I also played a hell lot of Warcraft III on college. They've been there all my gaming life and now they are merely a husk of their former selves.

I really wish being purchased by MS help changing things internally, but I don't know.

JLB

Banned
Note on poll: i stopped at 7 because 10 seems too much, 5 too little, and 7 has a "neutral" middle number in 4.

gary coleman wtf GIF

Starcraft II was alright and so was Overwatch at first, but everything else sucked hard. WoW really started shitting the bed with Cataclysm, Diablo 3 was a joke, and HotS came 5 years too late. I’m not into card games so Hearthstone was never for me, but everyone I know who loved it at launch now hates it with a passion.

Vagswarm

Starcraft 2 was the only game of theirs I really enjoyed during this time. The entire trilogy + expansions were incredible.

I also liked Mists of Pandaria because it was different. Every other WoW expansion I got bored of quickly.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
God-awful.

They even managed to ruin their own classic games, when re releasing them would have been perfect. Like Wow classic, a perfect game from 2004, yet they somehow managed to fuck it up. And current Wow has been ruined beyond redemption about 8 years ago already.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
The wheels have been falling off for the last few years. Let's hope they are on the verge of a new era and not just going to shit the bed.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Sorry, forgot about Reforged. Can I change my vote to a 1?

What a way to spit on your most beloved franchise, legendary fuck up right there.

Last edited:

Fbh

As someone who isn't into multiplayer:

Starcraft 2 was fine though dividing the story into 3 separate releases was annoying
I hated Diablo 3 at launch and never went back to it
Don't care about Overwatch
W3 reforged was crap

So not very positive. Hopefully the studios sees a turnaround under MS.

xrnzaaas

I only care about Diablo 2 Resurrected and even that was a problematic release. I didn't like Diablo 3 and I have no hype for Diablo 4.

Tg89

Diablo III sucked. RoS was slightly better but still a huge miss in terms of what made D2 good.
WoW has been trash since 2010. They finally pulled their heads out of their ass and made Classic, at least. Then they fucked that up.
Diablo II remake was great, so good on them for greenlighting it. Thank god they brought VV in for that one.
StarCraft was good but completely mismanaged and they let it die.

So yeah, pretty poor. They went from being one of the absolute best to do it (StarCraft/BW, Diablo II, World of Warcraft/BC, Warcraft 3) to kinda sucking.

Diablo 3 - The campaign was so easy as to be a bore, and when I finally got to choose difficulty I didn't want to play anymore.
Overwatch - Very good game, but the fact that everyone wants to be dps causes a lot of problems.
Diablo II Resurrected - Dunno how fair it is to include but Diablo II is a GOAT.

Overall 5 out of 7

Tschumi

This is ridiculous. You stopped at 7 because whatever reason, but put 1 there.
If you put a post OP, let be straight to people can vote freely.
This is some wacky stuff.. it's not a 10 list cut in half lol are you high? Some places give scores out of 5, i wanted a bit more nuance, chill
a scale out of 7. and doesnt say if 1 is top or bottom.

nice job OP
Good point, for me higher is better in the scales, maybe it's different for some

Rickyiez

The effort was definitely there , just not the quality and some of the magical touch from the past .

Starcraft 2 trilogy isn't that bad TBH and it's still my most watched competitive RTS scene

Diablo 3 , they turned it around with Reaper of Souls . And it's great on consoles

Overwatch started off amazing and fresh to the stagnant FPS genre . Too bad it's gameplay loop doesn't hold up .

WOW Legion was pretty cool ?

Blizzard late 2010 outputs though is another story .

Last edited:

Velius

Banned
The StarCraft II campaigns, all three of them, were fucking horrible. The multiplayer was and is awesome.
Diablo III sucked.
Wrath was the last good expansion of WoW.
Blizzard hasn't done anything amazing since 2007. It's a piece of shit now and I have no idea why MS bought it for that much

drganon

Diablo 3 on console was fun. Other than that I didn't play any other blizzard games and barely any Activision over the last ten years or so.

Inviusx

They got a bit cocky after WoW's success and took "it will be done when it's ready" to a whole new level. So their output has been almost non existent since Overwatch. Plus if rumours are to be believed they have started and cancelled many projects in the last 10 years. Overwatch was born out of Titan which I think was in development since like 2008 or something.

In my opinion (aside from the dud that is W3 Reforged) a Blizzard release is still a big moment in the industry, they just take their sweet fucking time pushing them out the door.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member

Kevin Samuels does a 1-10 scale of somones opinion of their own personal attractiveness an purposely says they cannot choose 7. 7 is safe, 7 is non committal, 7 is "No answer".

Now 6 and 8 have the power of making someone be clear of what they really think.

Tschumi

Kevin Samuels does a 1-10 scale of somones opinion of their own personal attractiveness an purposely says they cannot choose 7. 7 is safe, 7 is non committal, 7 is "No answer".

Now 6 and 8 have the power of making someone be clear of what they really think.
In my poll 4 fills that function :p

Alright it was arbitrary, for me the mystifying thing is that some people are stubborn enough to genuinely see it as "a 1-10 with the top 3 cut off" instead of "a 1-7" lol

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Terrible decade, so I guess 2.5. WoW grew beyond being ridiculous with all the systems changing each expansion, now each patch is just more numbers, more submenus, more slots for some shitty math systems.

Diablo 3 was ok, but a tonal mistake with them wanting to appeal more to PG gamers + RMAH fiasco.

Hearthstone was great, I just can’t get over the candy aesthetics.

But the worst was not related to the above it was:
1. Abuse allegations, meaning people that makes games there are a-holes.
2. Terrible project management making not having a timeline and OKRs a virtue.

bbeach123

Not a fan of blizzard but did played most of their game (for a while at least) . It weird seeing them going to shit even though all of their game was a hit . Even overwatch and hearthstone was huge in the first year .

Clearly they have a problem with updating and keep their game service going...And for some reason they stopped making new game .

Last edited:
Top Bottom