• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your TOP 3 INDIE / AAs of 2020

Bartski

Gold Member
This year was packed with massive AAA blockbusters that pulled much of the deserved spotlight from the indie scene, which was also full of amazing releases, some of which you might have missed.
Some of which I might have missed as well so let this be a thread of tips and recommendations of smaller, lesser-known games you enjoyed that might have gone under the radar for most fellow GAFers. How about that!
And not a single word about Cyberpunk or TLOU2 and alike.

Here are 3 I played tons of this year and highly recommend, in order of appearance.

CARRION - Metroidvania inspired "reverse-horror game" where you are the alien flesh-eating monster trying to escape the maze of a human research facility.

platforms: Steam, Switch, Xbox Gamepass.

STAR RENEGADES - awesome turn-based strategic combat rogue-lite RPG. A single bad decision can cost you hours worth of a run as a failed battle resets almost all of your progress. Relies on careful planning of your every move per round across all your units (and sometimes doing some math...) as opposed to RNG like most other turn-based games.

platforms: Steam, Switch, Xbox Gamepass, Ps4 coming soon.

UNTO THE END - short but insanely well-crafted 2D action-adventure inspired by Another World with a deep and brutally challenging combat system.

platforms: Steam, Switch, Xbox Gamepass, Ps4.

Guilty_AI

Haven't played a lot of new games, so i'll just post the ones from 2020 i played

DEEP-ROCK-GALACTIC.jpeg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

662px-LWN-Wall.jpg

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played many indies released this year, and I always have trouble with the definition of "AA". For example, Yakuza 7 is AAA or is it AA?

Carrion was pretty wild, and felt like I was legitimately playing as an alien. The lack of a map was an issue, though it had to have been a design choice (not one I agreed with). Having the creature be able to do more with it's sensing abilities could have helped, as I think they left the map out because "why would an abominable creature be carrying a damn map", but I get it. In the end, the game was a pretty damn cool, and recommend if you are into metroidvania types.

SinDelta

13 Sentinels
Hades

Two of the best games in recent memory. 13 Sentinels in particular is one of the best games I've ever played.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
now that you mention early access, Prodeus is out and looks damn great, not sure if I want to wait for the final version or just dive in

I'm waiting for the final release, but some people here on GAF said it has a lot of community made content, as the game features a map creator.

So yeah, if you concern is related to the lack of content I think you'll be fine. Game has already a lot of maps and so many weapons they had to patch a better way of swapping between them.

Bartski

Gold Member
Haven't played many indies released this year, and I always have trouble with the definition of "AA". For example, Yakuza 7 is AAA or is it AA?
Haven't played Yakuza but yeah it's really vague... aka "low budget AAA" but what's the cutoff point? I always thought of it as games with production values somewhere above indie but of narrower scope and way smaller sales goals, like Ancestors or Hellblade.

Top Bottom