• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top underrated games

518CPHF6KGL._AC_SY1000_.jpg
Pursuit_Force.jpg
566088-swat-4-windows-manual.jpg
shinshinobiden.jpg
Golgo_13_Top_Secret_Episode_%28cover_art%29.jpg
Chasm_-_The_Rift_Coverart.png

Condemned_Criminal_Origins.jpg

220px-Sweet_Home_Japanese_Famicom_box_art.jpg

chris121580

I'm not sure if it's held up or not but I remember loving The Getaway when it came out. Felt like playing through a Guy Ritchie movie

HamsterDude

Neo Member
I like Gokujou no Parodius a lot, for the Super Famicom. It's a fun shoot'em up in space where you can play as different Konami characters. I like to play as Upa-Upa flying around in outer space as a baby blasting stuff up. The levels are wacky and the renditions of classical music is superb.

Y0j1mb0

The Club - One of the coolest friggin' games. Would kill for a current gen game like this. ( via the wiki ) The Club is played from a third-person perspective. The player must make their way through a level as quickly as possible, or defend one location and survive attacks from respawning enemies for a set amount of time. Gameplay is centered on a score mechanic where each kill acts as a bonus multiplier. Various kill methods, such as ricochets, head shots, and long range shots earn extra points. After each kill, the player has several seconds to get another kill before the bonus multiplier starts to reduce. This interval also reduces the higher the multiplier gets. Icons are scattered throughout each level, offering bonuses. Weapons, ammunition and health are present but the player is not rewarded for picking them up. The Club incorporates elements from racing video games, including time attack events.

Made by the now defunct Bizzarre Creations, who used to put out kick ass games like Project Gotham Racing series and even Geomatry Wars. The best thing about the game was the sheer speed in which you had to play the game to be proficient. it wasn't merely just racking kills, it was racking outlandish kills, the more spactacular the more points all while shooting hard to miss tokens, and trying to keep your combo multiplyer going to maximize your score. Which of course would be posted online on the leaderboards.

Highly underrated.

Last edited:

F31 Leopard

White Knight Chronicles 1 & 2 Multiplayer/Guild Rank Quest portion. Negative reception to the story overshadowed the best part of these games.

Ring of Red
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Binary Domain
Enthusia

Vampire Bloodlines.
A game that deserved more and has since earned it's status as being a cult game. But it should have done more when it released in 2004.

Shame it didn't get an xbox 360 port as that would have given more people a ways of playing it.

Poplin

If you like SNES ARPGs... Have you tried Secret of Evermore? You'll heard a lot of people talk about the Mana series, but not much people seem to remember his cousin from the west.

Also, OST by Jeremy Soule. Good shit, and good game.
it was ok, but not my fave. probably because i wanted more secret of mana, which was on me. Also still havent played terranigma; sadly EU/emulation only. Waiting for a way to play it officially on my TV/handheld.

Poplin

Man gaia,soulblzer and Terranigm were all amazing games.I need to replay them again..Never played alundra I need to get it a try.

OT:

For Me, Crystalis NES
TPSI7Ow.png

At one point in the game you can ride a dolphin and fight enemies. People always talk about Zelda but never Crystalis which I think is better (love both alot tho)

dude you area in for a treat with alundra. i dont think anyone has done the 2D isometric action jrpg as well as they did. and if you liked the soulblazer trilogy, you'll also love alundra for its tone.

lem0n

Apex for the OG Xbox. It was a fun racing game where you could start your own car company and choose from a number of original designs for each performance tier and race them. It was overshadowed by Forza, PGR, Midnight Club, Need for Speed etc. I have fond memories of playing through it.
wAu8MDL.jpg

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Okay. My picks would be

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
First game in the trilogy to have actual quests (lots of fetch stuff, but some are pretty interesting and even have split paths) and a pretty open world. Not huge, but interconnected, changing with the time of day, and can be basically be tackled in any order. It's a far cry from the linearity of FFXIII. Battle system is cool, and a natural extension of the Paradigm Shift system, which was probably the most intuitive part of the first two XIII games. Music is awesome, as usual. And there's a lot of pretty cool references to past games. That, and a couple of unique ideas (like the ability to make monsters go extinct) and a time mechanic ripped basically wholesale from Majora's Mask, and it's a pretty rough gem.

Kingdom Hearts: Re: Chain of Memories/Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Basically the closest KH has ever come to being a "classic," turn based RPG. The battle system is card based, with cards power relating to the number printed on the face, from 0-9. Playing a higher number than your opponent breaks their card, which can stun or otherwise disadvantage them. The player can put up to 3 cards in one action creating a Sleight (three Fire cards make one Firaga, etc) and by end game you can pull off some pretty cool moves, including Final Fantasy staples like Mega Flare and Zantetsuken. The game even includes a second campaign with Riku, who plays pretty distinctly from Sora, kind of a Dante/Vergil deal. The story, including the Disney elements all tie around the theme of memory and how it's related to identity, and if you get past the Nomura weirdness (or just play it as a standalone) it's pretty mature for the standard KH fare. Most streamers skip it during their KH playthroughs opting to watch the cutscenes instead, and I feel that's the crowning achievement of the game, because it's mostly GAME, saving the word salad storyline for segments before and after levels.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
it was ok, but not my fave. probably because i wanted more secret of mana, which was on me. Also still havent played terranigma; sadly EU/emulation only. Waiting for a way to play it officially on my TV/handheld.
Oh yeah, the pal and ntsc bullshit.

There seems to be a patch for Terranigma tho, have you tried it?

Hestar69

dude you area in for a treat with alundra. i dont think anyone has done the 2D isometric action jrpg as well as they did. and if you liked the soulblazer trilogy, you'll also love alundra for its tone.
It's on my to playlist this year along with chrono trigger and cross.look forward to playing them finally.

killatopak

Gold Member
Princess_Crown_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg

Wasn’t known much because it was stuck in the Saturn and didn’t release outside Japan.

Definitely one of my favorite games just like every Kamitani game.

Otre

Banned
BrutalLegendCover.jpg

Criticized too harshly for not being Zelda or God of War. It was an unique mix of open world and an RTS with an incredible atmosphere and a good story. I still hope for a sequel someday.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Princess_Crown_Sega_Saturn_cover.jpg

Wasn’t known much because it was stuck in the Saturn and didn’t release outside Japan.

Definitely one of my favorite games just like every Kamitani game.

I was really hoping it was going to come with 13 Sentinals like in Japan, but yeah... guess I'm stuck waiting until someone decides to greenlight a remaster.

SSfox

I guess there are few, one recent i'd say is DQ11, game came around Spiderman launch, i felt like the only one on earth that was way more excited for DQ11 than Spiderman.

It was pretty lame that retard enix didn't make a proper ultimate edition for the game on PS4, i mean they release that switch version on PS4 with the extra content and all, but the graphics are mind-blowingly awful compare to the native PS4 version.

Spiderman PS4 is very good, bought the edition with DLCs few months later, while enjoyed the game a lot, didn't change that DQ11 was the best games between the 2.

final fantasy 15 gets a lot of hate but i liked it

chrono cross is underrated for sure as well compared to other jrpgs

Alundra is also a game know one knows about and its probably the best classic zelda alternative, im surprised sony never decided to reboot alundra
Loved FF15 too.

killatopak

Gold Member
I was really hoping it was going to come with 13 Sentinals like in Japan, but yeah... guess I'm stuck waiting until someone decides to greenlight a remaster.
I think the game was ported on the psp but it still wasn’t translated. Maybe a japanese PS+ would have a port.

I don’t know how the new ps+ works because I’m not subscribed to it but if it enhances ports like say the xbox bc ones then maybe that’s the best shot especially since it’s already 16:9 unlike Saturn’s 4:3.

Wow, 98% positive on Steam.

9KuJvQl.jpg
It's shockingly good. Like Mario 64 levels of balance on some of these challenges.

I'm playing on Switch and the gyro control is flawless.

The game is so fast that I'm not sure people could easily play it with just dual stick. M&K or Gyro is optimal.

I don't even like first person games, but it's just damn addicting.

I loved The Forgotten City. I can't even really put my finger on the appeal, as the mechanics, story, etc. all sat at about a 7/10 for me. Still, it all comes together really well, and it was just great fun running through a Groundhog Day-esque situation in a Roman city. I also loved that it was only a few hours long...Short games are my bag now that I'm 40+.

Top Bottom