• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your unpopular game opinions of 2022 so far?

Quasicat

I was able to buy a PS5 last month, and yet my best gaming purchase was a KK Slider that sings Animal Life from Build-a-Bear.
xFAKWZr.jpg

chixdiggit

4 years later and Hunt Showdown is still the best multiplayer shooter oot. It baffles me how many people have still not tried this gem of a game.

klosos

1.Horizon forbidden west is extremely overated.apart from amazing visuals its dull with laughable writing ,they could of called it Assassin Creed ginger.

2.Elden ring didnt really click with me.ill return to it at a later date (when i am prepared to have my shit pushed in)

3.playing cyberpunk 2077 on ps5 with the newest patches,it is a fantastic game with a great world,and the writers at CD Projkt are the best in the business

4.games are to expensive to make and its stopping creativity because devs aint taking chances.

Last edited:
This is another excellent opportunity to remind everyone that Sonic was never good. If you're wondering "What does this have to do with 2022?" It's because it is still true.
Your opinion isn't a fact. Sonic is a great series and will always be. You just suck at Sonic games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Horizon FW is worse than first one. bad story, characters and annoying sponge robots.
Elden Ring is amazing but it's worst souls. Too many repeated bosses, too hard or rather very weird difficulty curves
Halo Infinite is terrible. Campaign was 3 medium sized fake open levels and hours of corridors

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
- This thread seems to be a stealth Elden Ring hate thread.

-Elden Ring is good, but not as revolutionary as it's predecessors. I think one of the reasons it's so lauded over is because of From's pedigree, and the lack of big names so far this gen.

-Aloy is XL and looks like she has second degree facial burns. People who say that is "more realistic than HZD are confused and conflating "busy," with "high fidelity,"

-Ratchet and Clank is now irrevocably tarnished by the gay furry Tumblrite Mafia.

-Naughty Dog are one foot in the doorway of being the MauLer of gaming. Coming out with one or two great, substantial works, getting everyone and their mother to invest countless funds towards them, only to stall on products people actually want, and spend the rest of eternity making spinoffs and alternate takes of that thing you loved ten years ago.

In all likelihood, people will hate Final Fantasy XVI.

In all likelihood, Breath of the Wild 2 won't live up to people's ridiculous hype.

Metroid Prime 4 is probably never coming out.

Abandoned IS Silent Hill.

We won't get another shitty Metal Gear game, because Konami won't make one.

Reactions: Isa

Killer8

Stranger of Paradise has a much more interesting combat system than Elden Ring. In fact for a meme game its combat absolutely shits on Elden Ring's:

- SoP has special blocking mechanics. You have your typical videogame block for the stronger attacks. But you also have a secondary 'soul shield' which can absorb some weaker attacks. There is some skill needed to know when to use which. If you use soul shield to block, it's preferable as you get to follow it up with a counter attack.
- You can use the soul shield to temporarily absorb enemy abilities. See a Bomb enemy spewing fire? Just block that fire spell with soul shield to steal it, and then you can use it yourself on other mobs.
- The game encourages you to use soul shield a lot as it's the main way to build your MP gauge. You get into this fun combat loop of baiting weaker enemies to hit you, so that you can charge up your special for the tougher enemies later.
- SoP basically lifted Sekiro's posture system, allowing you to perform a cool (and framerate killing) finisher move once you break through an enemy's defenses. Elden Ring kind of still has this too - you can stagger some enemies if you hit them enough times successively. But it's not really communicated to the player well (feels half-baked) and doesn't look anywhere as flashy as in SoP.
- You can run pretty much two completely different builds at once on your character in SoP, which you can switch between with a press of a button. This includes gear, abilities, weapons, everything. No more having to swap between all your shit in the inventory if you need magic for something, or fumble about with Elden Ring's awful weapon switching controls (seriously, I lost track of how often I did a move, then tried to quickly switch from a magic staff to a shield, only for the game to not fucking register the button press).
- I'd need to compare, but I have a feeling SoP has more weapons combos and overall build variety.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I enjoyed Horizon Zero Dawn more than Forbidden West. I'm not saying Zero Dawn is better, but I enjoyed it more. Horizon FW was definitely gorgeous, maybe most beautiful game I've ever played, but I got bored with the densely packed and monotonous open world side quests and I didn't with Zero Dawn.

And I think they need to freshen the series up before they come out with Horizon 3, because the same open world formula gets boring no matter how well crafted your game is. They need to do something different to shake up the gameplay for Horizon 3.

Danknugz

VR is petering out and outside of the 4 or 5 good games, has become a shovel ware wasteland ripe for get rich quick schemes that just end up with more unfun games. Zuck is definitely drinking the kool aid and it doesn't seem like investors are sold on the whole meta verse thing.

MikeM

1. Microsoft and Sony should outlaw 30fps games. No 60fps, no access to their stores.

2. Hype for Starfield is laughable. We’ve seen basically no gameplay yet people are falling over themselves for it.

3. Dualsense is the most next gen feature of all consoles thus far.

4. TFs between the consoles have shown to be a metric of little importance to real world results.

5. Nintendo needs to get up to date hardware and stop being the “graphic quality is so ugly its cute” machine.

6. GamePass will not kill Playstation.

Despite the game being part way dead, I am having more fun in Battlefield 2042 than most critically acclaimed games. I rated Battlefield 2042 a 64/100 in my own review, making it the second lowest scoring game I've rated. Bad games can be fun.

arvfab

Banned
- While I'm having a blast playing Elden Ring, I think the open world didn't add anything positive to it. At least it isn't empty and uninteresting like Bore of the Wild.

- I'm sad BotW2 was delayed, because it means that a good Zelda game is even further away

- 2022 and Microsoft still only has Psychonauts 2 as an interesting game for me

- Sony's push for GaaS is 🤮🤮

- As a fan of the original Matrix, I enjoyed the sarcasm of Matrix 4

KXVXII9X

I have quite a few...

I will skip Elden Ring as I have a TON to say about it and a lot has already been repeated. My experience wasn't positive.

1. It is okay being a casual gamer and you don't have to prove yourself to gamers who pretend they are "real gamers." You also don't have to subject yourself to the "get gud" mentality.

2. Presentation matters. Maybe it is due to having a graphic design background but having a strong cohesive presentation in games is just as important as gameplay for me. Art direction, sound design/music, UI, HUD, Level design, lighting/shadows, consistency, animations, the way the character controls, physics (if needed), and A.I., are all important in making a game come alive. Nintendo are great at this with this in most of their first party titles. Notice how they don't aim for photorealism either. Everything from how Mario moves in Mario Odyssey, the way each action has a sound effect and personality to how the UI is animated and fits with the overall art direction.

3. Indie games aren't our savior and are just as guilty as AAA gaming. I have nothing against indie games and can really appreciate them, especially the idea of them. Unfortunately, they too require you to shuffle through countless shovelware, unfinished early access, and janky unpolished messes that are inferior versions of the game they are inspired by just to get to the good ones. Indie developers aren't devoid of greed. Just look on the mobile gaming scene. It is unfortunate AAA publishers/Devs are really blowing it, but there are still great AAA/AA games just like there are great indies.

4. I love motion controls. I'm really glad VR is bringing it back.

5. Shorter, more focused games have been much more enjoyable. Open worlds, GaaS, and MMO's don't give me more value for my money just because they are longer. I would rather take an 8-hour game with a well-paced story and gameplay over a 100-hour open world RPG where a majority of my time is searching for materials to craft for a weapon that grants me 1% more attack.

6. Photorealism is boring. I am all for graphical progress, but I find photorealism without good art direction almost soulless. The more realistic you make a game look, the more that has to go into animation, physics, A.I., lighting, and creates such a large uncanny valley that takes me right out of the experience.

Tams

I have quite a few...

I will skip Elden Ring as I have a TON to say about it and a lot has already been repeated. My experience wasn't positive.

1. It is okay being a casual gamer and you don't have to prove yourself to gamers who pretend they are "real gamers." You also don't have to subject yourself to the "get gud" mentality.

2. Presentation matters. Maybe it is due to having a graphic design background but having a strong cohesive presentation in games is just as important as gameplay for me. Art direction, sound design/music, UI, HUD, Level design, lighting/shadows, consistency, animations, the way the character controls, physics (if needed), and A.I., are all important in making a game come alive. Nintendo are great at this with this in most of their first party titles. Notice how they don't aim for photorealism either. Everything from how Mario moves in Mario Odyssey, the way each action has a sound effect and personality to how the UI is animated and fits with the overall art direction.

3. Indie games aren't our savior and are just as guilty as AAA gaming. I have nothing against indie games and can really appreciate them, especially the idea of them. Unfortunately, they too require you to shuffle through countless shovelware, unfinished early access, and janky unpolished messes that are inferior versions of the game they are inspired by just to get to the good ones. Indie developers aren't devoid of greed. Just look on the mobile gaming scene. It is unfortunate AAA publishers/Devs are really blowing it, but there are still great AAA/AA games just like there are great indies.

4. I love motion controls. I'm really glad VR is bringing it back.

5. Shorter, more focused games have been much more enjoyable. Open worlds, GaaS, and MMO's don't give me more value for my money just because they are longer. I would rather take an 8-hour game with a well-paced story and gameplay over a 100-hour open world RPG where a majority of my time is searching for materials to craft for a weapon that grants me 1% more attack.

6. Photorealism is boring. I am all for graphical progress, but I find photorealism without good art direction almost soulless. The more realistic you make a game look, the more that has to go into animation, physics, A.I., lighting, and creates such a large uncanny valley that takes me right out of the experience.
The only places I really care for photorealism is in simulators, casual or hardcore, but especially casual. Games like GT or FS.

Boneless

I will state a few of mine:

1. I think Elden Ring sucks ass! Games similar like Dark Souls and Bloodbourne suck ass as well. My buddy got Elden Ring and I played a bit of his. My god it's just nothing fun about the game IMO. SLow clunky combat combined with tons of frustration equals a just game I can't figure why people like it. The whole "get good" slogan I say "Get fucked!" A real head scratcher on the praise of these games. I was given Dark Souls 3 and bloodbourne free on ps+ and every time I try to play them it's just a yawn fest. My very unpopular opinion but it is mine.

2. I don't care about Backward compability! I played the games I wanted to play back then so don't understand the hype unless you are younger and didn't get to play older games. People pay extra money for PS now for example to play older games.

3. Xbox has a bad first part lineup: I'm not fanboy so lets nip that accusation in the butt. I loved my 360 much more than my ps3 back in the days. Hell I go back to being one of the first xbox live members back on the OG Xbox. With that said, their first party games are weak sauce as of late. Gears of War glory days have been long gone since Gears 3, Halo has just been ok without Bungie, outside of the Forza Motorsport and Horizon series I can't think of anything I care to play on the Xbox Brand. That could change in the coming year but outside of game pass I see no reason to buy an Xbox right now. Most 3rd party games also run better on the PS5 despite the xbox being more powerful. Just don't get microsoft lately.

4. The dual sense controller was over hyped: Loved it when I played Astro's PLayroom and thought it had real potential. Since launch very few games take advantage of any of the features on the controller. Infact at times the adaptive triggers can be a hindrance.

5. Horizon forbidden west is boring

It seems like you're having issues with gitting gut.

Sony have really fumbled it with PS5. They reek of Sony PS3 arrogance era and their idea of a Game Pass competitor and what it's offering (and not offering) including Jim Ryan's bullshit just proves it. I had a PS5 and sold it for a Series X. This was after I was PS4 only last gen.

On the Xbox side I think they have been doing great but they still need those exclusives and I'm looking forward to the results of all their dev buy outs.

PS I still think Bloodbourne is far better than Elden Ring and always will be.

Top Bottom