• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your unpopular game opinions of 2022 so far?

Fbh

Tell us how you really feel. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I mean yeah fuck Sony.

I want a ps5 but they are scalping it themselves around these parts. It launched last year for an already ridiculous $680 (before our 19% sales tax) and this year they further raised the price to $760 for no fucking reason.

There's no justification, there no high import taxes or tarifs as in Brazil or other places. The series X has a reasonable price (around $550), the Switch has a reasonable price, hell even other Sony products like TV's and headphones have a good price.

At first I was like "oh it's these fucking retailers taking advantage of scarcity"
But nope, for the past few months Sony has been selling it on their own official store for the same price.

It's just pure greed.

Last edited:

Y0ssarian

Banned
1. Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin combat is more fun than Elden Ring's

2. Kirby is straight garbo

3. Sony, Nintendo AND Microsoft's first party games ALL suck ass. The best games with OG Nintendo characters are spin offs ie Hyrule Warriors

4. Halo is dead (this may not be unpopular)

Last edited:
Elden Ring would be better with a bit more direction.

I love the world and enjoy the challenge, but I’ve also wasted a considerable amount of time wondering where I should be focusing my efforts. Not merely where to go, but how to decipher items, track characters, and the like. A touch more care with this and it’d be a better game, imho.

Also, I need more Returnal.

misslore

Neo Member
There will always a "Slow and Clunky" review for every MMORPG out there.
Its 2022 already! Replace that 750 Ti already!

PerfectDark

Banned
Boring generic crap. Bought into Dying Light 2 hype and got bored half way through. Worse than DL1. Bought into Lost Arc hype and dropped $100 on founders scam and the game is a job with no pay "no thank you". Waited a few days for Elden Ring as I dislike souls games. Bought it bc I was desperate and played a few hrs and couldn't stand it. I passed on Horizon Zero bore 2. Close to buying Tiny Tina's wonderland until I seen its $70 and DLC coming in 3 weeks that I have to pay more so puts it at $100 game.

I am excited for the Hogwarts legacy thats about it.

Current Big 3 Consoles are getting stale… we need a new challenger… the Tencent console.

SF6 should’ve been cel shaded like Guilty Gear!

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
1. Horizon Forbidden West is underrated and deserves a 90 + metacritic

2. Gran Turismo 7 would be a much bigger game if it wasn't always online, that's its biggest issue rather than the game economy and it's a dumb decision

3. Xbox One's launch window was 10 times better than the Xbox Series X/S launch window

Chukhopops

- People who disliked Elden Ring were either a) filtered or b) mad that it completely overshadowed a certain exclusive game. I think there are more a) overall;

- Aside from ER, indies were the only thing worth playing so far in 2022;

- It’s likely to remain that way for a bit until we re-adapt to the average quality of new games.

Probably not facts but my opinions for sure.

Last edited:

Rykan

This is another excellent opportunity to remind everyone that Sonic was never good. If you're wondering "What does this have to do with 2022?" It's because it is still true.

bender

What time is it?
I was fond of saying that Elden Ring was the worst FromSouls game outside of Dark Souls 2, but after my last few nights with the game I think I'd rank it behind either version of DS2 now.

supernova8

Banned
I haven't even made the move to next-gen but it's obviously shit. I barely felt the "magic" with the PS4/Xbox One launches and it's even worse this time around. Maybe I'm getting old.

The day one indie drops on Gamepass alone are worth the monthly price.

Come At Me All That GIF by NickRewind

mxbison

• Elden Ring is overrated, as in reviewers ignoring flaws to ride the hype and dish out those 10/10 for clicks. Reminds me of RDR 2. I'm enjoying the game a lot but how does a proper review not mention all the technical issues, awful AI, poor balancing etc.?

• Next gen is ass. People still getting hyped over playing last gen games in better resolution and fps, and even then we still don't hit 60fps consistently. Also focus on fps is just cross-gen PR, we are going back to 30fps sooner or later.

Last edited:

obie

Neo Member
Ive completely given up on video game podcasts. I dont care who you are, nor do i want to hear your political views.

-MD-

Elden Ring would be better with a bit more direction.

I love the world and enjoy the challenge, but I’ve also wasted a considerable amount of time wondering where I should be focusing my efforts. Not merely where to go, but how to decipher items, track characters, and the like. A touch more care with this and it’d be a better game, imho.

Also, I need more Returnal.

I agree with this, other Souls games were already kinda long in the tooth and the open world pads it out even further. I'm at the point where I've uncovered most of the map but have only taken out like 5 great bosses so I'm having to google where to find the rest whereas before it was pretty obvious where you needed to go to progress because it was more structured/linear.

luffie

This is just an ER hate thread.

Elden Ring sucks because it doesn't have spaceships! Elden Ring meh because it's like a Souls game!

People making up stupid excuses about Elden Ring are the lamest. ER never claimed to make a different game, they promised open world souls and they delivered it in spades.

Elden Ring not revolutionary? What are you asking ER to do? Change your lives from loser to winner? You guys are asking for a wholly different thing and then blaming it on ER for not being that, how lame.

It's alright not to like the genre, but to claim it mediocre design is laughable, when so many studios tried to copy and fail miserably. In the context of Souls series, it's crafted masterfully.
But as an adventure game overall, it all depends on individual tastes.

Elden ring is one of the most overrated games that has come out in the past 10 years i dont care about reviews and scores but there is a list of the best 100 games or 10 out 10 games that have come out the past 10 years this game is way way to high. There are multiple core issues with this game performance is one of them 3/4

patches in and its still terrible on the majority of platforms wont get fixed because from rarely patches games for performance. Core gameplay design is constantly at odds with each other Souls games "Dark souls series" has clunky combat always has since demon souls Demon souls was based on 1v1 fights because the combat was

slow we are in 2022 and we still have the same slow combat accept now lets have bosses from our faster game sekiro in Dark souls doesn't work. Your character moves at the pace of a snail you getting stun locked and falling down just to take 5+ seconds for your moron character to get up is the dumbest thing ever.

Platforming still sucks took what 5/7 years to get a jump button why our character doesnt just grab ledges makes no sense Doom and Cyberpunk arent even platforms but you jumping from one area to the next is rocking tier science level compared to Elden ring.

Parrying sucks enemies in this game can guilty gear roman cancel you into a 100% grab or dodge attack like its bayonetta you have half of 1 frame to parry most moves why and even then there are some enemies that you can parry and they will recover in 2 seconds. You 1 frame linking combos in SF4 or KOF is a million times easier then figuring out the garbage parrying system that from has in elden ring.

Every enemy in this game breaks the games rules constantly but your stuck with lack luster move sets and a slow character with terrible I frames and a lack luster roll with fall damage. This game should have 0 close to 0 fall damage you can jump from a cliff and die but because you hit this tinny peace of rock the damage is negated how about no damage at all like sekiro,nier,tales ect. One of the things people complain about when it comes to open world games is empty space there are so many empty areas in this game it isnt funny after you beat rahdan the whole area

is just a empty waste land with nothing in it no treasure, quest, secret boss fight, nothing just a huge empty area. Loot makes no sense and is thrown haphazardly everywhere some of the cures you need arent even in there right spots. People complain about grinding in jrpgs but the grinding here is 100% worst there are a full list of enemies like the bears that arent even worth your time of day fighting because the rune drops are pathetically low bosses fall in this same category there are sub bosses that will drop 2000k runes which is nothing once you reach lvl 20.

NPC quest lines are very boring and to obtrusive worst then way sort of generic MMO out korea most of the NPC arent even were they say there going to be nothing is worst then having to use google or some guide because the side content is so obscure that you would have to comb multiple areas again and again to find certain people.

This post on reddit is probably the best compilation of all of elden rings problems .

Last edited:
2022 so far is just a bad sequel for 2021...
Graphics: 10/10
Story: 6/10
Gameplay: 1/10

also the hyperrealistic graphics for SF6 kind of... not feel right, neither does hyperbuff Ryu.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
  1. Elden ring is not very fun once the novelty wears off. I mean it became a fucking chore and dragged on way too long. Also the bosses suck in every way. They suck to play and they are just ugly and lame.
  2. Horizon FW was pretty fun even if the story and mele sucked.
  3. It might be a good thing that Zelda got delayed because the end of the year is looking overly stacked with games.
  4. I am looking forward to going through hell when the new GPUs launch just so I can win one. But I don't need one as my 3090 should last until the 5080 drops.

bender

What time is it?
The day one indie drops on Gamepass alone are worth the monthly price.

Come At Me All That GIF by NickRewind

It's true though. Maybe it's because I'm mostly disinterested in Microsoft's/Sony's tent pole releases, but I love the indie drops and b tier games showing up on Game Pass. I classify them as "games I'd love to try but would never buy".

SCB3

For me so far, only that Horizon FW feels very dated and that GT7 is so plagued with MTX grinding bs I actually skipped it until a good sale

Kirby is also looking not as fun as I thought it was going to be, but tbh I've barely out an hour in, Elden Ring has me gripped, though that is nearly done now

Last edited:

Griffon

I love every souls games, Sekiro and Bloodborne, and I think Elden Ring is the worst of them all, worse than DS2 even.

The genre just doesn't gel well with the open world, the sense of progression is shit, there's a lot of copy pasted shit bosses and a lot of empty unrewarding places that give absolutely no sense of progression nor satisfaction.

Whereas I've binged every single Souls like a mf on release day, here I've been struggling to even want to launch Elden Ring.
I'm barely 50h in, a month later, and my employment of it has been minimal all around.

I want my tightly-designed interconnected world back.

intbal

Elden Ring isn't a Soulslike because Soulslike isn't a genre.
Dark Souls is just a ripoff of Blade of Darkness. Which is very similar to Die By The Sword.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Utilizing a 4 payment option to buy a PS5 for $920 is one of the best decisions I've made when it comes to gaming.

Ghostwire: Tokyo is actually pretty damn brilliant.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I guess my biggest: I think Elden Ring is a relic of a game with horrible combat, no real hit reaction on enemies, terrible controls and asking for more games like it will set the industry back by supporting awful combat, awful enemy AI, awful optimization and awful shallow gameplay masking all its flaws with "Difficulty and learning curves". I'd love to see more games adopt a minimalist/survivalist mindset to their open worlds that encourage discovery over guided experiences, but I don't feel Elden Ring is some shining example of it being well done.

Again I remind you this thread is "unpopular" opinions, so try not to yell at me too much!

Top Bottom