• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your views on the Final Fantasy games?

Three of your favorite FF titles in the series?

• Total voters

Kev Kev

Haven't really played anything beyond VI so for me VI is still the best of'em all.

Though I really enjoyed the Gameboy entries as well.
played 6 for the first time back in 2015 or 16, and despite all the hype, the fact it was like a 20 year old game, and despite already trying and not liking it as a kid, it wound up being my favorite FF and one of my favorite games ever. surpassing even FF7 and 9.

its one of the rare times a game absolutely lived up to the hype. but i also love old school FF, so i could see some of the newer fans not taking to it. different strokes and all that

K2D

Banned
Tetsuya Nomura saved Final Fantasy.
By saving are you inferring he Franksteins Monster'd it?

Hironobu Sakaguchi is the brilliant Ikaros who flew to close to the sun (damn their obsession with cg/fmv).

Naked Lunch

While I enjoy and appreciate most of the series for their own reasons,
FFVI is the best.
When FFVI released for the first time it was a revelation. As a kid I didnt think games could get any better.
The colors, the music, pacing, the intro(!) - the shear amount of characters, and they were all cool. The gameplay - even implementing Street Fighter motions for some.
FFVI even had 2 player co-op which we used all the time back then - enjoying the story with friends.

Years later FF7 launched and the world went crazy - even non-gamers - but after playing it I didnt get the hype. It was all flash and FMVs. There was a significantly less characters to play as coming from VI. The gameplay itself was leagues below FFVI. While FF7 was still cool and had its good bits, it was ultimately shallow eyecandy in comparison to FFVI.

Years later, FFXII is the only other entry that came close to FFVI. A perfectly realized world - combined with a hardcore slant to the gameplay, where status effects had to finally be taken seriously. A more serious political style story and characters is exactly what the series needed to finally grow up. With so many similarities in look style and enemies - FFXII is a psuedo sequel to Vagrant Story in my eyes. A shame Matsuno didnt quite finish his masterpiece - but its still a great game.

ViolentP

I'm a huge fan of the franchise, campiness and all. I don't come to games for profoundness so crazy fantasy shit is a good alternative.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the ones i've played i thought sucked. shit load of text thrown at you explaining stuff and then all you're really doing is running down corridors. i wanted to play XV but i just can't take it seriously with all these dudes with ridiculous hair styles and gigantic swords. also despite having a car they travel around on big chickens.

probably the only one i've somewhat enjoyed would be XIV but again...the chickens are just so silly. also you have creepy little kids and grown men dressing up as cats. it's just so weird. it was my first MMORPG so i enjoyed that kind of gameplay but the whole setting, look, and feel is so creepy. i just started playing WoW/ESO.
this was my original post in here from early last year.

i still stand by it somewhat but i've recently been playing VII and i'm in love with it. to clarify, the games i had played were XIII, XIII-2, and XIV. i still think they suck but VII is the first FF game i've enjoyed.

i bought the remake on Epic and i'm currently on chapter 8. i thought Cloud looked silly because of the "ridiculous hair style(s) and gigantic sword(s)" but i don't care now. he's fucking bad ass and cool. there is still quite a bit of text that comes up explaining everything but it's not as bad as i remember XIII being. the combat is so satisfying and the soundtrack is great. i know Part 1 of the remake only covers so much of the original game so i've decided to buy the original game on Steam and i've modded it to improve the graphics a bit. i'm enjoying that too and my plan is to catch up to where i am in the remake and play them together (obviously not at the SAME time but i'll go back and forth between them). since i play on PC it doesn't seem like i'll be able to play Part 2 until 2024 at the earliest so i'll just keep playing the original when i finish remake part 1.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I've only beaten I (GBA) and VI. VII and XII bored me and I never bothered trying the other ones.

For me there are far better JRPG franchises, like SMT or Dragon Quest.
A few months after this post I beat V. Best in the series by far imo, not many times I had that much fun with a JRPG battle system.

Ryu Kaiba

It's clear 6, 7, 9, and 10 were the strongest entries.
These left the most impression on people.

With FF7 Remake and FF16 It's beginning to feel as though Square is on the precipice of a new golden age.

Top Bottom