• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube Premium raising subscription $5/month for family plan

Shh

All of them. AppleTV most often though.
If you use Safari on iOS or macOS, I'd recommend buying Wipr. I think it's 2 bucks per device (one time purchase) and it blocks YouTube ads. If you don't use Safari, I'd recommend Brave browser. Blocks YouTube ads by default. That's for when you're on the go. For blocking YouTube ads at home on your Apple TV, I'd recommend buying a Raspberry Pi device and installing Pi-Hole on it. It will block not only YouTube ads on every device in your house connected to the internet, it will block pretty much every ad in general:

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
Might be a different team. Not really sure... but it works and looks like vanced

You just need to find the youtube apk and patch it yourself with the revanced manager apk. I guess that makes it harder for google to shut the project down.

MadPanda

Banned
I also got an email. They're raising the price across the world, and in some regions like Argentina it goes from 170 to 700 Argentinian pesos. I use it for ads primarily, but enjoy downloading YouTube videos on my phone too. I don't care for YouTube music.

How to switch for a family to an individual plan?

mclaren777

YouTube Premium is the only streaming service I care about (and the only one I actually watch besides F1TV and WRC+) so this price hike means nothing to me.

They could easily charge $30/month and I wouldn't blink an eye.

nocsi

YouTube says I watched 1300 hours of ad-free videos last year. Premium is worth it for those that value their time. My family’s time is worth more than $23/month to not have to be inundated with ads.

dorkimoe

someone helped me figure out you can VPN and sign up from like india for $11 for the entire year. The vpn cost me like $10. So im set now until they realize i dont live in india

someone helped me figure out you can VPN and sign up from like india for $11 for the entire year. The vpn cost me like $10. So im set now until they realize i dont live in india
Yeah I couldnt get the family plan from India or Turkey (both cheap as fuck!) so Argentina was the one I went for as still a good bit cheaper.

Trunx81

Jesus H Roosevelt Christ!

I just realized that I still payed the European price for nearly a whole year instead of just using the cheaper Mexican one. Roundabout 100€ well spent.

Last edited:

demigod

Yeah I couldnt get the family plan from India or Turkey (both cheap as fuck!) so Argentina was the one I went for as still a good bit cheaper.
Wait I thought Argentina was the cheapest no?

You guys using a VPN, did you make a separate YouTube account or keep your existing?
Existing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So you can buy the year too ad a discount or once you sign up it's all automatic payments at the new low rate?

Facism

i thought vanced did stop working? i'm sure i read something about it recently.

edit: seems it's working for those who have it installed but it's been shut down.

"The popular Vanced YouTube app is being discontinued, after a legal threat from Google. The creators of Vanced have revealed the project will be shut down in the coming days, with download links set to be removed. While the app will continue to work for anyone who currently has it installed on Android, without any future updates it’s likely to stop working at some point soon. The Vanced owners say they’ve had to discontinue the project “due to legal reasons.” "

[/URL]

I've been using brave browser on my android for youtube as it blocks ads and lets you listen to videos with the screen off or browser minimised.

Tams

Gold Member
I found this statement to be a profoundly sweet thing to say when reading this.
idgaf and have extensions do that for free.

I help financially support YouTubers I particularly like on platforms and ways that don't take such a massive cut. Plus, I usually get something for the money more than just videos.

Doczu

I've been using brave browser on my android for youtube as it blocks ads and lets you listen to videos with the screen off or browser minimised.
Use ReVanced. Does the same, has auto skip for video intro and sponsored segments.
Great stuff.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Use ReVanced. Does the same, has auto skip for video intro and sponsored segments.
Great stuff.

I've thought about this but always worry that I don't know if I'm getting it from the right source, who's guaranteeing the package? How do you know you can trust them? Installing APKs from unknown sources doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when Brave already gives you the features and has Play Store protection.

Last edited:

Doczu

I've thought about this but always worry that I don't know if I'm getting it from the right source, who's guaranteeing the package? How do you know you can trust them? Installing APKs from unknown sources doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially when Brave already gives you the features and has Play Store protection.
Like Mr Reasonable Mr Reasonable , I don't know if what I'm downloading is legit or safe when it comes to that. Could you provide a link for us, if possible?
Get it from here: https://revanced.io/ or if you want to you can compile from GitHub: https://github.com/revanced

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I need to create a Pi-hole on my ubiquiti setup in order to block adds on youtube.
Pi-hole is amazing for blocking ads (in general), but pretty shit for blocking ads on Youtube. It used to be good, but now Youtube serves its ads from the same domain it serves videos from. As a result, domain level blocking for Youtube ads would mean no videos would load at all.

Top Bottom