• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube will now hide dislike bar

Woffls

glad Youtube are out there protecting the White House’s feelings

not sure about the empathy button meta? i thought triggered was the dislike button…

So if there's two videos that have 1000 likes each, one has 50 dislikes and the other 5000 dislikes, users will simply see two videos at 1000 thumbs ups?

Yikes.

Dislikes are awesome as you can weed out the shitty videos right off the bat when you see it has a high dislike ratio.
Yeah this is horseshit.

I watch tons of how-to videos on guns/instruments/etc... how the fuck am I supposed to know they're teaching/showing the wrong shit (or its a clickbait video)???

If they're trying to stop brigading then they need to make it to where the creator and turn off likes/dislikes completely and it has a disclaimer or something.

Flutta

Banned
When is a real competitor going to surface? Seriously? YouTube is awful compared to what it was just a few years back

There’re a bunch of alternatives out there. Problem is its hard for them to compete. That damn YT app is basically everywhere, we talking TV’s, consoles, phones etc the list goes on.

When big content creaters leave YT in droves and somehow manages to take their followers with them then we might see a big shift. Eitherway what says that these YT competitors wont do the same thing, caving for the big corpos?

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
People trying to say this is about protecting snowflakes or sensitive people or whatever are missing the bigger picture. YouTube doesn't give two shits about how certain people feel. This is all about protecting large corporations from backlash and media stories about how their latest game or movie was disliked into oblivion.

This is about companies like EA and Activision having their latest game trailer disliked into Oblivion and then instead of having a whole bunch of media coverage about their new game or its new trailer there are a bunch of stories about how everyone disliked said trailer or game. The same thing goes for the movie industry, the commercial industry, or any other kind of industry that you can think of. These companies don't want stories about their latest product flopping or being disliked. They just want to see stories about how it just came out and how new it is. Not about how people feel about it.

This is about corporations not people.

Last edited:

Ionian

I disagree completely.

This is one reason I don't really enjoy using Reddit. Try posting a truly unpopular opinion on there in one of the gaming subreddits. You'll get downvoted like crazy and most people won't try and actually have a conversation with you. To me it would just bring a negative energy to the forum.

I never realised some people use the Empathy reaction like that. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:
Most people don't. Most are sincere from what I have seen?

Dunno the stats though.

Tams

Gold Member
Really, so what about dislike bombing? Oh, someone's feelings are hurt by some online sentiment. Diddums. And fuck the corporations trying to hide how shitty their products are.

So let's get rid of a usually useful tool for people. FFS.

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Tldr: they don't want you to bite the hand that feeds them.

No corp wants to spend $ on marketing only to be shown how disliked they / their product / their content is.

If it's about mental health, well how about offer mental health services to your content creators, but it's a lot easier lazier and more profitable and cheaper to turn off the dislikes count.

If there is one thing I've learnt working with corporations, is that they prefer to look like they are doing something good, rather than actually making an effort in doing something good.

Last edited:

Loki

Count of Concision
Anyone who thinks this decision is about some aspect of monetization and not directly an attempt to control political speech and obscure populist sentiment in order to control narratives hasn't been paying attention. This entire exercise of theirs only began once the Biden White House started receiving 10:1 dislikes to likes (YT had first mentioned possibly removing the dislike button within 1-2 months of Biden being sworn in and posting videos), and it has now resurfaced/intensified due to public reaction to COVID and vaccine-related videos. Folks shouldn't be willfully blind to this. This is part and parcel of the emerging technocracy, and should scare everyone who grew up in an actually free country.

It's a lot harder to control narratives and make people think that theirs is a fringe opinion by bombarding them with unified, filtered messaging across all mainstream news outlets/corporate messaging/social media (all part of the technocracy) when those people can see that videos supporting those narratives have 5 or 10 times as many dislikes as likes, and videos running counter to the prevailing narratives have precisely the opposite. The intent is to control the narratives, further solidify their grip on public opinion, and not allow people to be able to gauge real public sentiment.

Last edited:

FutureMD

Anyone who thinks this decision is about some aspect of monetization and not directly an attempt to control political speech and obscure populist sentiment in order to control narratives hasn't been paying attention. This entire exercise of theirs only began once the Biden White House started receiving 10:1 dislikes to likes (YT had first mentioned possibly removing the dislike button within 1-2 months of Biden being sworn in and posting videos), and it has now resurfaced/intensified due to public reaction to COVID and vaccine-related videos. Folks shouldn't be willfully blind to this. This is part and parcel of the emerging technocracy, and should scare everyone who grew up in an actually free country.

It's a lot harder to control narratives and make people think that theirs is a fringe opinion by bombarding them with unified, filtered messaging across all mainstream news outlets/corporate messaging/social media (all part of the technocracy) when those people can see that videos supporting those narratives have 5 or 10 times as many dislikes as likes, and videos running counter to the prevailing narratives have precisely the opposite. The intent is to control the narratives, further solidify their grip on public opinion, and not allow people to be able to gauge real public sentiment.
Yep, I knew it was getting slowly worse, but now it's getting pretty bad. With deepfakes, suppression of speech/ideas, and hiding of dissenting opinions (mrwhoseboss had a good video about the dissenting opinion hiding by social media to increase retention), I worry about the upcoming generations.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have YT Premium but am so tired of YT's politics that I'm kinda in the process of softening up to Rumble. I realize it's going to take time, but will get there eventually..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
People trying to say this is about protecting snowflakes or sensitive people or whatever are missing the bigger picture. YouTube doesn't give two shits about how certain people feel. This is all about protecting large corporations from backlash and media stories about how their latest game or movie was disliked into oblivion.

This is about companies like EA and Activision having their latest game trailer disliked into Oblivion and then instead of having a whole bunch of media coverage about their new game or its new trailer there are a bunch of stories about how everyone disliked said trailer or game. The same thing goes for the movie industry, the commercial industry, or any other kind of industry that you can think of. These companies don't want stories about their latest product flopping or being disliked. They just want to see stories about how it just came out and how new it is. Not about how people feel about it.

Correct. It's all big copro nonsense. It's nothing to do with protecting the average joe content creator.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Correct. It's all big copro nonsense. It's nothing to do with protecting the average joe content creator.
They never even invited any small content creators to these meetings leading up to this. That is all a bunch of BS to try to get people behind it and play on their emotions for support.

This is about the big corpo geopolitical machine. Can't let anyone see the vast amounts that are awake via ratio to the constant marketed ganda.

Last edited:

Aesius

Combine this with bots/shills being everywhere on social media and it will soon be virtually impossible to tell what's "popular" and what isn't.

Soodanim

Gold Member
The less culture warriors are seen or heard from the better.
Google might be greedy, but they're not stupid. They know there's only so far you can push a user base before alternatives become viable. Besides, comments being disabled has been an option for everyone for a very long time. Anyone who wants that option already has it.

RAÏSanÏa

Google might be greedy, but they're not stupid. They know there's only so far you can push a user base before alternatives become viable. Besides, comments being disabled has been an option for everyone for a very long time. Anyone who wants that option already has it.
It's unlikely google would. Noticing lots of videos with comments turned off unfortunately.
Even open it's a slightly higher hurdle to organize people to make comments than to dislike something. And comments can be interacted with making them time sinks and contestable. As a general deterrent to "mobs", only disabling dislikes may be enough since that little bit more commitment to a campaign may be enough effort to disuade with more immediate things going on in a regular person's life taking greater priority. Activists won't be slowed down from commenting and campaigning, but their ability to amplify with casual support is diminished.

Last edited:
It's unlikely google would. Noticing lots of videos with comments turned off unfortunately.
Even open it's a slightly higher hurdle to organize people to make comments than to dislike something. And comments can be interacted with making them time sinks and contestable. As a general deterrent to "mobs", only disabling dislikes may be enough since that little bit more commitment to a campaign may be enough effort to disuade with more immediate things going on in a regular person's life taking greater priority. Activists won't be slowed down from commenting and campaigning, but their ability to amplify with casual support is diminished.
I fail to see how this will reduce "culture wars" considering the fact political channels do it for money by outrage performance and clickbait. Again, YouTubers already had the power to remove likes/dislikes and comments. All this does is take away a feature people like.

RAÏSanÏa

I fail to see how this will reduce "culture wars" considering the fact political channels do it for money by outrage performance and clickbait. Again, YouTubers already had the power to remove likes/dislikes and comments. All this does is take away a feature people like.
The downvote tally is announced as part of their narrative when they attack something. "Our view against is more popular than for it". It's a feature that is used as a tool to manipulate narrative by making an aggrieved group appear more broadly supported than they are.
Those that sell downvote bots might be the most put out by this change.

Youtube's original rating system with the stars was better and feature people liked, but that was changed to give less info and people got over it. They'll get over this.

This isn't the only reason youtube would do this. The economic suggestions are plausible, if not the supporting reasoning, and there's no reason for it to be done for only one purpose.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Dislike count is gone in my region. Upvoting comments will be cut next. I 100% guarantee it.

You're almost correct. I would tell you exactly why YouTube is making this move but sadly Politics are not allowed on this forum.

RAÏSanÏa

Gone in my region now. Minor peeve about losing the specific number of likes from hovering as collateral. Sometimes check in on the likes after posting videos to see if it changes.

Now the new metric will be views:like ratio since we don’t have dislikes.
Watched that ratio for about a week with new very popular stuff like Swift's releases and Spiderman trailer.
1st day was about 10:1 views/likes for these. Possibly repeat views trend it down after a day.
Those in the 100,000-500,000 view range after a few months is about 20:1 for well liked stuff.

Rough and obv purely anecdotal based on my viewing habits.

Last edited:
Top Bottom