• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"You've Got to Stop This": Jared Leto Fumed Over New 'Joker' Movie

bitbydeath

Must be fun at parties.

According to sources familiar with Leto’s behavior, when the Oscar-winning actor learned of the Phillips project, he not only complained bitterly to his agents at CAA, who also represent Phillips, but asked his music manager, Irving Azoff, to call the leader of Warners parent company (it’s unclear whether it was Time Warner’s Jeff Bewkes or AT&T’s Randall Stephenson, depending on the timing). The idea was to get Warners to kill the Phillips film.

A source in Leto’s camp denies that the actor made this request, and Azoff declined to comment. Azoff and Leto have since parted ways.

THR previously reported that the 47-year-old star, who played the grinning crime lord in 2016's Suicide Squad, thought Warners had strung him along with promises of his own Joker stand-alone film, only to greenlight the Phillips' version with Joaquin Phoenix instead.

Leto had put a lot of effort into his Suicide Squadversion of the DC villain, with rotting teeth, bloodshot eyes and slicked-back neon green hair. He spent months getting into character and terrifying his castmates with “gifts” such as a live rat to Harley Quinn actress Margot Robbie, bullets to Deadshot actor Will Smith and a dead pig to the entire cast during rehearsal.

Leto left CAA for rival WME over the summer. A source in Leto’s camp says the rocker-actor had been looking to make a switch and denies that the competing Joker movies factored into his decision.

At this point, sources say Leto’s days as the Joker likely are over.

Isn’t he a cult leader now?

Like, for real? Or was that fake news?

also

jared-leto-joker-feat.jpg

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
I mean, his Joker sucked and he seems to be an asshole but I can kinda get being pissed over the change when he never actually got a full movie with the character. He just got those couple short scenes in Suicide Squad, right? So if you get promised something and then they do something different it’s understandable to be frustrated about that. It just so happens that the something different is probably the better option for the general public.

highrider

Banned
He’s been good in some roles, I dunno if I’m him I’m enjoying middle age banging Hollywood hotties and doing whatever movie seems cool. Clearly the films weren’t going for the same thing. I also think he knows deep down that the SS Joker was pretty ham fisted.

Moneal

I mean, his Joker sucked and he seems to be an asshole but I can kinda get being pissed over the change when he never actually got a full movie with the character. He just got those couple short scenes in Suicide Squad, right? So if you get promised something and then they do something different it’s understandable to be frustrated about that. It just so happens that the something different is probably the better option for the general public.
It was worse than that. The way he tells it they filmed a lot more of him that just wasn't used.

RAÏSanÏa

Cheer up J-leto.
Don't feel alienated.
You don't want no beef.
We'll take your 'Joker' home.
Here's a lullaby...

Go, go, go, go go, go, go, shawty
It's your birthday
We gon' party like it's yo birthday
We gon' sip Bacardi like it's your birthday
And you know we don't give a fuck
It's not your birthday!

When I pull up out front, you see the Benz on dubs (Huh-uh)
When I roll twenty deep it's twenty knives in the club (Yeah!)...

Kenpachii

yeah there was a ton of footage unused

but all of it was still the same shitty ass performance

all the dude did was copy heath ledger's voice and prance around like a jolly rancher pimp

sending people ham, i mean come on, nobody is buying your shit jarry

Last edited:

Duallusion

I wonder how much of Leto's Joker was actually his own vision/decision, since he otherwise has some acting chops (see Dallas Buyers Club). Hard to pull off a character well in such a shit movie like Suicide Squad.

JimiNutz

Banned
His Joker was the worst one but I get why he's butthurt.

It's like he met this incredibly attractive woman and her Father promised you her hand in marriage, you just gotta fuck her good first.

The big day comes and it's time to get freaky but you end up pumping her for a few measly strokes with your limp dick before messily cumming all over the place. The video of your performance leaks and the people are not impressed. The girl stops returning your calls and people point and laugh at you in the street.

A year later and this hottie is being pimped out by Father again but this time to a dude with a much bigger cock. He takes this pussy on the wildest ride it's ever been on, doing all kinds of crazy shit to it that you didn't know was even possible. Her mind is blown. When the video leaks the people can't believe what they're seeing. It's absurdly depraved but hauntingly beautiful at the same time and nobody can get it off their mind. This guy is a maestro with his big dick.

Meanwhile you're left in the corner beating on your flaccid meat and begging for another opportunity.

I can relate man. Feels bad.

bitbydeath

I wonder how much of Leto's Joker was actually his own vision/decision, since he otherwise has some acting chops (see Dallas Buyers Club). Hard to pull off a character well in such a shit movie like Suicide Squad.

I won’t ever watch that movie on principle because of the huge scandal it launched with.

Last edited:

royox

It's like he met this incredibly attractive woman and her Father promised you her hand in marriage, you just gotta fuck her good first.

The big day comes and it's time to get freaky but you end up pumping her for a few measly strokes with your limp dick before messily cumming all over the place. The video of your performance leaks and the people are not impressed. The girl stops returning your calls and people point and laugh at you in the street.

A year later and this hottie is being pimped out by Father again but this time to a dude with a much bigger cock. He takes this pussy on the wildest ride it's ever been on, doing all kinds of crazy shit to it that you didn't know was even possible. Her mind is blown. When the video leaks the people can't believe what they're seeing. It's absurdly depraved but hauntingly beautiful at the same time and nobody can get it off their mind. This guy is a maestro with his big dick.

Meanwhile you're left in the corner beating on your flaccid meat and begging for another opportunity.

Is everything ok dude? :messenger_anguished:

Leto's portrayal of Joker was surpassed by Phoenix and he's somewhat bitter about it, that being said the studio executives shouldn't have strung him along.

GymWolf

My dog who doesn't stop moving in a circular pattern when he take a crap during a walk is a better joker than him.

MDSLKTR

Go back doing trap music videos with skrillex, playing trannies for Oscar bait and dying your hair blonde to impersonate Cobain you 🤡

Name checks out in at least two ways.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I didn't like his joker because 1 the movie sucked and 2 it probably sold so much shit at hot topic they can stay in business another decade.

Course I didn't care for the new joker movie much either. I mean Joaquins acting was really great and he did a great job. But God damn it was 2 hours of "his life sucked" and that was the entire story, there was nothing else. Even as a character piece it was too much of a single sentiment drug out that long.

Of course maybe I'm just jaded because i hate batman related movies because it's always the same exact villains just with a slight spin on them over and over again for decades.

PrCat88

I didn't hate his Joker like some did, but Suicide Squad and its roster of characters were going for a completely different style than what this Joker movie with Jaoquin aimed to be. It would be understandable if he was strung along for the DC universe only to get moved aside for a stand alone film with another actor (not to mention the new Batman movie won't have Affleck and the only recent DCU films in production are women driven films Wonder Woman 2 and Birds of Prey with the new Suicide Squad sequel handled by a director who publicly dislikes Leto).

That said, I don't buy into these unconfirmed rumors. Leto has been busy with Morbius and plenty of other actors within the DCU have been put aside. Who knows what Warner Bros is thinking with how they move forward in their films. They announce more DC films than they greenlight.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

He said that because he saw Phoenix fucking ethered his Joker. It's not even a contest. Phoenix was brilliant as the character while Leto looked like a cosplay character.

sol_bad

I have a feeling that Leto's Joker comes across as bad due to studio interference and many of his scenes getting axed. I have no proof but his character has to have been way more fleshed out than what we got for Leto to go all out like he did. He was barely in the final film and it makes no sense to get so much in character for such a truncated role. Leto is a great actor and I think he would do the Joker character justice.

Top Bottom