• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ypulse: For Gen Z and Millennials, Owning a VR Headset Is as Rare Today as It Was in 2018

AR glasses is literally dead, the leading brand has sold less than 50k worldwide. Google just discontinued Glass, again, just recently after its revamp. Almost no players despite all the releases are selling well.

I guess our augmented meta world was not met to be... I was thinking perhaps Apple could help popularize it whenever they announce theirs.

I guess our augmented meta world was not met to be... I was thinking perhaps Apple could help popularize it whenever they announce theirs.

Apple delayed their AR glasses to focus on the upcoming VR headset.

So if they are the ones we won't see their AR glasses until 2027, unless another brand like Samsung or someone else pulls it off, but based on the recent data, AR has had pretty much no traction the last few years despite the investment and number of players involved. So I'm not entirely sure if AR is going anywhere, at least as it is.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I would like to move out of my mom’s house first.
you have 2 options
1. rent an apartment and never own the literal place you live in, consistently being a slave to some landlord who got it lucky
2. buy a hou- HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
john-roblox-laugh.gif

i love our current economy

Last edited:
you have 2 options
1. rent an apartment and never own the literal place you live in, consistently being a slave to some landlord who got it lucky
2. buy a hou- HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
john-roblox-laugh.gif

i love our current economy

Your other choice is sub-prime mortgage, they are still around you just have to look. You then when the economy collapses, can withdraw from the value of your house to try and survive until that backfires, but by then you should have your public housing approved in alley behind those abandoned business buildings and the cash for gold store.

StereoVsn

AR glasses is literally dead, the leading brand has sold less than 50k worldwide. Google just discontinued Glass, again, just recently after its revamp. Almost no players despite all the releases are selling well.
Don't forget MS. Hololens is basically dead as well.

It has a lot of AR elements. Mixed Reality and AR are very close. Follows same trend though in that it's shutting down.

Mixed Reality is basically VR with AR elements, almost all newer headsets are MR or using the buzz term XR (for xtended).

Standard VR is probably going to be dropped in favor of MR/XR though still mostly advertised as Virtual Reality in marketing.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
When I was younger I got so fed up of people blaming everything on Millennials, now after 20 years the blame is now moved on to Gen Z..
laughing-wtf.gif

The last 10 years have had a focus on Reboots and continuing ongoing series, moreso there was a emphasis of indies and such recapitalizing on trying to recreate similar feels from the past, it invoked a hard cynical feeling that we shouldn't bother with any possible new ideas

Eh, I want one. But for years I've been waiting for the tech to "get there" both in terms of software, affordability, etc. I don't know of any killer apps either, but I also mostly ignore VR news/information for the past few years. I'd have to get 2 because my daughter would really want to play with me in some cases, so it's just not on my immediate horizon.

Laieon

I don't even like to wear hats, much less VR headsets. I don't know why, but even the slightest pressure on my head gives me a headache. I've tried a couple different VR headsets (Oculus and PSVR) and both made me feel nauseous.

Batiman

Banned
It’s still a nauseating experience for me and just not fun after the initial wow moment. TBH I’m surprised they sell what they sell. Outside of this forum I’ve never heard anyone irl ever talk about VR in years.

Top Bottom