• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ypulse: For Gen Z and Millennials, Owning a VR Headset Is as Rare Today as It Was in 2018

https://www.ypulse.com/article/2023...r-headset-is-as-rare-today-as-it-was-in-2018/
Reports of VR headset sales dropping begs the question, did young gamers ever buy them to begin with…

TL;DR​

• Virtual reality investments have come into question as Meta’s Reality Lab reports billions in losses
  • YPulse data shows VR headset ownership has never taken off with young consumers—though metaverse gaming certainly did
  • With AI all anyone can talk about right now, it may be replacing brands’ VR and even gaming focuses
Many brands were once banking on virtual reality as the core driver towards the metaverse future, but stats (and profit losses) are now showing that products like VR headsets were not the surefire gamer add-on they hoped. In fact, Mark Zuckerberg—driver of the term “metaverse” as he rebranded Facebook to Meta—is being warned to put the metaverse and his push for teens to join Horizon Worlds (their not so successful metaverse platform) to rest. Reality Labs, the division housing metaverse, virtual reality, and augmented reality projects, “reported $13.7 billion in operating losses for Reality Labs for 2022, more than the already jaw-dropping $10.2 billion it sunk into the division in 2021.”Now, as the prices of Meta Quest Pro VR headsets drop in what appears to be an effort to reach more (read: young) consumers, some argue Zuckerberg has officially “buried the metaverse.”

But gaming in other metaverses is strong as ever, as YPulse data has shown (and we’ll explore again in our upcoming Where is the Metaverse? trend report). The success of virtual world gaming through platforms like Roblox and Fortnite highlights what some brands may not have recognized: virtual worlds do not require virtual reality. So, for those wondering if it’s time to cash out on VR tech, our data shows its ever-predicted boom is not coming any time soon, as evidenced by its consistently low ownership amongst Gen Z and Millennials:
VR headsets have not gotten more popular with time

YPulse data shows VR headset ownership has always been low amongst Gen Z and Millennials, and this year, only 11% of young consumers own a VR headset, a number that has changed very little in the past five years. Even as brands have amped up their metaverse experiences, the drive to own VR tech remains low. While the majority say they are interested in using VR headsets for gaming, there’s a decrease amongst Gen Z and Millennials who would prefer to use VR headsets over consoles and mobile devices since 2022; last year, 48% of young consumers were wanting these devices to game more than others, and now only 39% say they’d prefer them. Perhaps this is because virtual worlds are thriving without them, and any metaverse game they want to play can feel immersive without full (headset-needed) immersion.

Meta says they’re not giving up on AR and VR, though; TechCrunch reports “Meta plans to launch a next-generation consumer headset later in 2023,” and that Apple may be on their way to doing the same. But attention is shifting toward a new tech these days, so VR headsets may fall to the backburner as their sales remain stagnant…
For-Gen-Z-and-Millennials-Owning-a-VR-Headset-Is-as-Rare-Today-as-It-Was-in-2018_chart_3.15-768x634.png

Looks like gamers ages 13-39 may not have been as excited for VR as many thought. Seems this age range, the so called Millenial and Gen Z (ugh) folks seemed to have a cap on their interest in VR, that was only temporarily breached around the time of the Quest 1 rising in 2019. Even around the peak time of the pre-Quest wave it seems that the growth stalled once the ceiling was hit.

They are playing screen versions of the types of games that companies want to try and make attractive and move them too in VR, but they won't leave to VR for them. What I find interesting is we have had an uptick in VR marketing and releases the last few years, and a peak of the Quest 2, which wouldn't surprise me if it's the leading headset since its release among this group. but apparently that was not enough to rise above 11%, which means Quest 2 was only really replacing what this group was using before in this case. Which makes sense since the VR market domination by Quest 2 was really consolidation than a real increase, with that increase only really applying to the Quest 2 itself.

But it seems late Millenials and older folk are currently what's driving the VR market and not the younger ages according to this data, and that over 2 decades of potential consumers from 13-39 are not getting too invested.

I guess the new question for ALL VR companies from Sony and Facebook, to Apple and Samsung, is how do you get this age group to take a higher vested interest in VR and move them from Roblox, Fortnite, and Minecraft, over to VR social, and VR gaming community software?

Because the interest according to the data IS there, but they don't PREFER VR over mobile and flat screen. So something is preventing them from pulling the trigger. Sure, price is one reason but even the Quest 2 did not break through the ceiling, so other reasons are also preventing this age group from jumping in.

Chastten

Banned
Hmm, to me VR is basically the same as the Wii was.

It's pretty fun to play some casual games with a large group of people at a birthday or something, a lot of them non-gamers, and have the rest of the room cheer at the people who are playing. Change players every few minutes and have a fun night.

But outside of such a scenario I would never 'play' either. The experience for singleplayer gaming is just not there for me.

Last edited:
There hasn't been enough justification for an extra 500-1000 in costs.

It's a lot like the light gun.

815dVkwTNmL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Really cool and fun to use, but then you end up craving for bigger and better games.

Last edited:

Banned
VR headsets will only really take off once the technology is fully matured.

the high end segments is already showing what can be done.
less bulky, better lenses, better screens, wireless, easy to wear etc.

once a consumer grade VR headset comes out that eclipses the capabilities of the Quest Pro, at a typical game console price, VR headset will become more popular.

Fredrik

once a consumer grade VR headset comes out that eclipses the capabilities of the Quest Pro, at a typical game console price, VR headset will become more popular.
Yeah.
Plus, it will only take off when the bigger devs jump off the fence and start investing for real.

Koppelthorn

Banned
As someone who is a zoom zoom or whatever you want to call it, really I think it boils down to price and public adoption/conception of VR, most young people these days don't have the money for such an investment into quality VR gaming whether it be the Quest line of things or PSVR2. Public conception of it as an idea around people I know, most view it as a niche, developing idea. And there really isn't a "system seller" for the general populous either. I may anger some people saying that, I mean we all can agree (I haven't played it yet, but I've done things with HMDs in similar quality) that RE:V on PSVR2 is damn good, and GT7 for some people could be considered a system seller.

But in my mind, a system seller is a product that anyone will buy the console for with a modicum of interest in the medium. Sort of how like people who don't really play a lot of video games will buy a new console just for the newest COD, or something. There just isn't a product like that on the VR market. And it really doesn't come down to quality of the experience either, its more so marketing clout/brainspace in the average persons head. Like other people here, I don't think VR will become a mainstream (as in, getting close to being as popular as consoles) thing until price is driven down, and is a more mainstream platform in terms of large and small releases.

But, just because it's not "mainstream" doesn't mean for the time being you can't get some great experiences out of it. Like I said, GT7 in some people's eyes is a system seller, and for good reason! There is still plenty of fun to be had with VR

Huh? It feels great! Yes there's a lot of improvement left to be made, but what I have now feels better than traditional flat screen gaming by leaps and bounds.
When saying 'it never feels like enough' I'm not specifically talking about the physical feeling of the headsets.

Dane

1 - It can causes headaches and nauseas, this is a major turn off.

2 - Too expensive and not an extensive catalog that its worth for its investment

3 - Experiences tend to be limited to first person games.

My friend returned his PSVR2 due to the first and second points.

Crayon

The headsets just need to be a little smaller and lighter. The prices, at least those subsidized by the larger companies, are coming down steadily.

Main thing is games. It's always games.

Laieon

I'm in my 30s and I don't like to wear hats, much less VR headsets. Pressure, even minor, gives me a bad headache. I also have diplopia (double vision) and it just... doesn't work for me. The few times I've tried it I've legitimately felt like throwing up after having it on for 20-30 minutes at best.

ironmang

I think the current prices and the price point for mass market interest is still pretty far off. $500+ is just too much considering it's just a peripheral and you still need to buy games too.

CGNoire

Its not just the pricing haptic-VR gloves need to be a standardised requirement paired with every headset. Only then we have arrived.

Last edited:

Banned
Its not just the pricing haptic-VR gloves need to be a standardised requirement paired with every headset. Only then we have arrived.

gloves would necessitate gesture based controls tho, not sure if that is on the horizon tbh. the tech needed for that would be far too expensive and advanced, and will stay that way for the forseeing future

I own an Index since launch day. 35 years old. I find VR super interesting and fun but there just isn't enough content for it. Once you're done with the greats (and there aren't many) you're left trying to find that fun and wonder again from things you already experienced. It's difficult. That and the performance problems of VR just pisses me off. I can't stand those stupid pink lines in SteamVR, they make me want to rage smash my headset when I see them so I stay away from it as much as possible until this crap gets fixed.

I remember when a few years back people on this forum kept trying to convince me VR was the end all, it had arrived, it's going big, just you wait, and here we are, VR the same old niche it's ever been.
Wake me up when it's a pair of sunglasses for $199. More than that, I'm starting to think people don't actually want to completely immerse their vision for hours on end in a virtual world. Most people I know look at their phones while gaming, or watch a movie while on their phones (or watch movies on their phones), or multitask like cooking or doing laundry while doing some combination of those things. People have gotten use to not being 100% attentive to something, and VR is a device that requires 100% of your attention, or at least enough of it to convincingly remove you from the real world more than any other medium. And that sounds fun in theory, it might not be something most people actually want in their lives. You can take it off if you need to attend to other things, but it just more of a hassle and immersion breaking, unlike just pausing with your controller and looking away.

It lets you play completely different games in a completely different way.

Hate the tech all you want, this gimmick bullshit makes no sense.
It's not a gimmick, it's just not as accessible/comfortable/attractive of an experience to the average person as it might be for you, a hardcore enthusiast. And convincing the average person is required for it to really take off.

StereoVsn

The headsets just need to be a little smaller and lighter. The prices, at least those subsidized by the larger companies, are coming down steadily.

Main thing is games. It's always games.
Yep. I bought first Oculus retail kit and haven't bothered since. I just don't want a lot of these smaller games. Admittedly HL:A tempted me to upgrade, but nah, will wait it out.

Probably Skyrim and Fallout 4 with mods for all their faults were the best of the bunch for me.

Crayon

Yep. I bought first Oculus retail kit and haven't bothered since. I just don't want a lot of these smaller games. Admittedly HL:A tempted me to upgrade, but nah, will wait it out.

Probably Skyrim and Fallout 4 with mods for all their faults were the best of the bunch for me.

My number one game on psvr1 was the half-ass Skyrim version. :/

I mean it was awesome and everything but... Yeah we need more and better. Psvr2 launch is very promising. The next test is what it's looking like for it's first holiday season. Hopefully there's another round of aaa's.

TheDreadBaron

Gold Member
If you don’t think VR has arrived play Into the Radius. It’s got:

- Lengthy missions that have me engaged in VR for hours at a time, this is not a shooting gallery.
- Gameplay mechanics designed explicitly for VR, this is not a flatscreen port.
- Realistic gunplay that has you counting bullets and diagnosing malfunctions in combat. Is it jammed? Should have cleaned it. Is the safety on? Is it out of ammo? Fuck it, switch to sidearm.
- The stress of scouring a dark abandoned structure for loot with your flashlight in one hand and your pistol in the other, you must physically grab each item and find a space in your backpack, should you free a hand by stowing your light or gun?
- The joy of returning to your safehouse and physically sorting your loot onto your shelves, every individual item is persistent and accounted for. There’s my stack if 12 gauge boxes, there’s my rack of guns, all arranged just so.

I come back to this game again and again, and get lost for hours in the zone stalking through the mist with my rifle at low ready. This is what VR can be folks, and it already is right now, so just try it yourself.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Give us the drivers for the PSVR2.
Keep the games on PSVR2 not worth the investment.
Buy a cheap second hand PSVR2 and a VirtualLink adapter
??????
Profit.

PCMR!!!!!!!!!

StereoVsn

My number one game on psvr1 was the half-ass Skyrim version. :/

I mean it was awesome and everything but... Yeah we need more and better. Psvr2 launch is very promising. The next test is what it's looking like for it's first holiday season. Hopefully there's another round of aaa's.
I don't think I could take Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR without mods :). But yeah, that's the issue, even Bethesda's half assed VR implementation was better vs 99.9% of basically everything else on the market.

The only thing that interests me with PSVR2 is GT7, but I ain't buying a $600 headset mainly for that.

Crayon

I don't think I could take Skyrim or Fallout 4 in VR without mods :). But yeah, that's the issue, even Bethesda's half assed VR implementation was better vs 99.9% of basically everything else on the market.

The only thing that interests me with PSVR2 is GT7, but I ain't buying a $600 headset mainly for that.

I will say that gt7 has replaced gt7 as my favorite VR game. So that's a good start.

It's so amazing...

gloves would necessitate gesture based controls tho, not sure if that is on the horizon tbh. the tech needed for that would be far too expensive and advanced, and will stay that way for the forseeing future

Which is the tech Apple is implementing on their VR headset, which may explain the rumored price.

It seems a few VR makers are heading in that direction since the original Apple VR links, Mova is releasing only one controller because they want a hybrid model for their headset for example.

AR glasses > VR for the mainstream IMO.

The grandpa yelling at clouds in me have no interest in VR whatsoever. I mean we are already in The Matrix, what’s the point? Woah

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
at a typical game console price
so 400-500 dollars? we've got a few headsets like that if you don't mind connecting them to a PC

And yeah this article is kind of self explanatory. Millenials and Gen Z likely have tons of debt or are working 2 jobs to stay afloat.... none of us have money or time to get into VR because it's too expensive

Top Bottom