• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys IX - Monstrum Nox |OT| (NIHON) FALCOM PUNCH!

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Finished this game a few days ago. Amazing game. My 3rd Ys game ive played.

I played on PS5 through BC and had no crashes. The new wall running exploration is pretty cool. Story is a mystery until later on where everything is explained.

Wish they could make a Ys game with PS4 graphics like the new Tales of Arise. But I understand budget constraints.

Mister Wolf

Finished this game a few days ago. Amazing game. My 3rd Ys game ive played.

I played on PS5 through BC and had no crashes. The new wall running exploration is pretty cool. Story is a mystery until later on where everything is explained.

Wish they could make a Ys game with PS4 graphics like the new Tales of Arise. But I understand budget constraints.

Its a catch 22. If Falcom increased their visuals by a lot then they couldn't deliver games as fast as they do.

Yeah, while playing this I constantly was reminded of Tales of Beseria and Xillia. It looked similar to those games, or rather that strange flat more "realistic" anime look those games had.

I'd have no problems with these games if they just had a better aesthetic. Maybe go all in with the cel-shading. Do something. The graphical level is fine, I just think they need more style to them.

Last edited:

Komatsu

I really dig the Ys series, but am I the only one that finds the game music obnoxious? First thing I do when I start an Ys game is to mute the game music...Maybe I'm just weird.

We all have our tastes, nothing weird about that. That said, Ys is widely known for hazing amazing soundtracks

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I cleared this last night. Top notch game but I’d rank it slightly below Dana. I really enjoyed the story and characters in this game, but feel Dana was a little better. I like what they added with all the traversal moves in this new one. Exploration was a lot of fun.

I found all the graffiti and petals. I am at 98% exploration and I think I am missing around 6 treasure. I’ve fully found and uncovered everything in the main zones and dungeons. Even that one attached to the bar. I am not sure what else I am missing. All the Nox barriers were unlocked too.

Thief1987

I cleared this last night. Top notch game but I’d rank it slightly below Dana. I really enjoyed the story and characters in this game, but feel Dana was a little better. I like what they added with all the traversal moves in this new one. Exploration was a lot of fun.

I found all the graffiti and petals. I am at 98% exploration and I think I am missing around 6 treasure. I’ve fully found and uncovered everything in the main zones and dungeons. Even that one attached to the bar. I am not sure what else I am missing. All the Nox barriers were unlocked too.
There are 7(not sure) hidden locations in Balduq. You can reach them using certain gifts, like Doll's for example to find switch for secret door.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
There are 7(not sure) hidden locations in Balduq. You can reach them using certain gifts, like Doll's for example to find switch for secret door.
I was thinking it might be something like that. I think I have found 2 or 3 of them already. I will have to hunt down the last few. I don't want to use a guide so it's probably going to be a pain in the ass to find them :p

Komatsu

I cleared this last night. Top notch game but I’d rank it slightly below Dana.

I found Dana's plot to be more interesting. Also, I frankly expected IX to look much better than it did. It was developed exclusively for the PS4, no longer having the Vita as its ball & chain, and Cold Steel III IMO looked somewhat better. That said, the game is absolutely fantastic.

I miss the days when we would get a Ys game almost every year.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I still need to finish the Vita one (Celceta?) and then Dana on the PS4, but then I'd like to move on to this one. The combat in these games is so good and so underrated compared to the usual clunky Japanese "action" RPG stuff we get nowadays.

How "on the fly" is the party switching? Is it smooth/quick enough to initiate a combo with one character and then follow up with another character, creating your own chains of attacks?

cKMCJN4.png

drganon

I plan on getting this eventually. I'm playing memories of celceta now and enjoying it. I've already played ys8 and really enjoyed it as well. Probably get orgins eventually as well.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I finished the game and it somewhat feels incomplete. The main map is weird, like they planned to have it full (it even cuts up square for a section) but it's missing many segments. It kinda fell short though. Soundtrack was better than VIII imo.

KiteGr

Be warned. If you are playing this on the PS5 through BC, it crashes a ton. There was a day 1 patch which fixed it a bit but there are still crashes. Cheers
And here I thought Nis couldn't find a way screw this up.

I'll get it on Steam, only because that's where I got the rest.

Thief1987

Today Falcom released 4k update for ps5, it was available only in Japan few hours ago, maybe already available in other regions i'm not sure. Anyway it's coming.

Last edited:
c0344670_21444447.jpg

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago, fantastic experience, i don't know who these tasteless plebs who hate this game, Ys VIII only players I'm guessing, the Monstrum gifts really added to the platforming and the changes to the extra gauge to merge the 2 styles of the solo Adol adventures like (Oath/Origins/VI) and the party based games like (7/Celestia/8/9) is great! now it's no longer just an Extra move gauge, i also the plot/characters a lot, i understand some people felt VIII was a lot more grand in a sense because of the dual protagonist angle of Adol and Dana and humanity's end angle but if you know Ys than you know it's about the journey not the destination and every game takes place in a different place with a different outcome and chronologically VIII is set 3 YEARS before IX! in fact it's set even before VI: The Ark of Napishtim.

Love the cloned souls that talk to Adol after the final boss, though their names are not stated i think i share the fans guess that they are:
  • Dark Blue: Tia from Ys Seven, she talk about how Adol saved her from her fate of destroying Altago.
  • Yellow: Eldeel from Memories of Celceta, he talks about how making the final choice and how there's no right or wrong here.
    character_eldeel_text.png
  • 2 White: Reah and Feena from Ys Origins and Ys I & II, You meet both every time you give the girl in the main square 20 petals, the one who congratulates Adol is Reah and the one who says she's happy to see him and generally warmer is Feena Adol's first (and possibly true waifu).
  • Cyan: Dana from Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, she talks about how sometimes it's ok to let calamities happen alluding to her people's fate.
  • Black/Purple: People believe this to be Dark Fact from Ys I & II due to his voice. I like to think it is.
Also Anemona's just adorable!
YS9_939.jpg

Love the soundtrack, as expected from Falcom.

Top Bottom